Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controllers Using Xinput (Pc)

hypnobeard

issues include

the automatic remapping of keys to default

inability to select multiple uses on same button (melee + fire weapon can no longer share a control)

If any more appear i will note here

this happens with no emulator (wired xbox 360 controller)

also reload and use are force bound together now.

Edited by Satinpuppies

Sluggish sprinting, though i'm not sure it that is a controller issue or game-play change. Slide functionality now comically difficult to use (meaning i either have to sacrifice rolling and by extension dodging for an acceptable setup, which seeing as I have melee primary sometimes is pretty garbage) Honestly I'm suggesting returning to the pre-U15 system for controllers. I don't know what they did, but they have become a pain to use.

Seconded. Plus now it seems like the d-pad isn't functional. I had my 4 abilities set to it, and now it doesn't do jack x.x

You have to rebind them. even if it shows they are binded.

I tried to say something in general chat and i got face walled with remarks like GO BACK TO CONSOLE. and MOUSE AND KEYBOARD ARE WAY BETTER. couldn't get any support to help bring it to the devs attention lol. ;c

Edited by Satinpuppies

The D-Pad is functional... It just cant have the powers directly bound to it.  The D-pad still works with the clumsy "Next" "Prev" and "Use Selected Power" bindings but then you basically have to scroll through powers which is... just terrible.

I did rebind them all (at least 3 different times in 3 different ways) with powers never working when directly bound to the D-Pad.

The game is pretty much unplayable for me (entertainment-wise) without the active use of my powers.

I had similar issues today with bindings not quite working, at least without manually setting them again.  I also ran into an issue regarding Sprint.  The base sprint involves HOLDING down the left stick button now (I have my left stick button bound to sprint only, not sprint/roll) where as pre-U15, I could hold it down briefly and as long as I'm moving forward, I could continue to sprint without having to hold the stick button down firmly. But now, as soon as I let go of the button (while moving it forward) I immediately lose all sprint momentum.  (I'm using an xbox360 pc controller, btw)

I had similar issues today with bindings not quite working, at least without manually setting them again.  I also ran into an issue regarding Sprint.  The base sprint involves HOLDING down the left stick button now (I have my left stick button bound to sprint only, not sprint/roll) where as pre-U15, I could hold it down briefly and as long as I'm moving forward, I could continue to sprint without having to hold the stick button down firmly. But now, as soon as I let go of the button (while moving it forward) I immediately lose all sprint momentum.  (I'm using an xbox360 pc controller, btw)

Yup this is my biggest problem right here. It's like we are being punished for using controller with a PC. Sprinting has now become a chore to do and, for me at least, made the game a hell of a lot less entertaining than before.

They really dropped the ball with PC controller support, with all those "consolization" post U14. Tons of menu unresponsive to controller, I had to emulate mouse movement with right stick in order to navigate some menus. And now this fraking D-pad can't use abilities (funny that before I did a default, it works just fine).

The 15.0.1 hotfix comes with one Controller fix so far:

Fixed Cipher minigames not working with a controller.

Regarding toggle/hold 'Sprint': just got looped in from Dev that you can indeed restore your previous bindings to make it toggle again. Options > Controls > look for Toggle Sprint.

The 15.0.1 hotfix comes with one Controller fix so far:

Fixed Cipher minigames not working with a controller.

Regarding toggle/hold 'Sprint': just got looped in from Dev that you can indeed restore your previous bindings to make it toggle again. Options > Controls > look for Toggle Sprint.

@Sprint: Toggled it and it works like before, thanks for the info.

Hi all,

Just to add to what Rebecca said, and in case it helps alleviate some of the problems you may have encountered, in U15 we're trying out a new control mechanism for activating powers. Following this change and using the default controller bindings you can still activate your currently selected power using the Right Bumper, but now you can also hold down the Right Bumper and activate any of your four powers using the controller's 'face buttons' (e.g. A, B, X, Y on Xbox controllers). When holding the Right Bumper you should also see a small graphic in the bottom-right corner of the screen, showing you which face button activates each power.

Unfortunately at this time we've had to lock these bindings in place. We will of course continue working on this feature and hopefully soon you'll be able to rebind them as you see fit.

In addition, any players with custom controller bindings may now find that their powers aren't working. This is an unfortunate side-effect of us having to lock the above bindings. If you're suffering from this issue, we ask that you please reset your controller bindings.

Thank you.

Following this change and using the default controller bindings you can still activate your currently selected power using the Right Bumper, but now you can also hold down the Right Bumper and activate any of your four powers using the controller's 'face buttons' (e.g. A, B, X, Y on Xbox controllers). When holding the Right Bumper you should also see a small graphic in the bottom-right corner of the screen, showing you which face button activates each power.

Hey Jim, thanks for the heads up.

I can tell you right now that I won't be using a controller as long as you guys have it set up this way. I don't want to have to press two different buttons just to activate one ability. I want to rebind my abilities to my DPAD and have them activate once I press on the DPAD, not have to press Right Bumper.

Controllers have always been broken in one way or another on PC and having this update break them even more is very discouraging. Hopefully you and your team can fix this because I have multiple friends that use controller only and are now refusing to play. I for one use keyboard/mouse, but when I'm on my laptop I need to use a controller, so now this has disrupted my mobile playing ability.

Again, thank you for the insight, but this is really a serious issue and hopefully we can expect this to be fixed soon.

Just to clarify, I and many i know have never used that setup

it would more be

Y - Use Selected Power

DPad L Prev Power

DPad R Next Power

DPad U Change Weapon

DPad D Waypoint

RBumper Quick Melee

RStick Power 2

only EVER having 1 power set as having a permanant binding, in the case of your new system, i CANNOT unbind the powers, meaning im forced to waste buttons on them.

I never had an issue with gamepad until today, but with this "new system" i would now need what? a 20 button 6 axis controller? why? because "most" people bind all 4 powers i must? because some cant work out how to cycle powers im forced not to?

Insightful reply from DE pls, rather than > Our way or highway

and while im sulking, which i clearly am because i cant play - do KB users have to bind a second key which they must hold to use 1 2 3 4? or is it just being forced on pad users?

Edited by hypnobeard

Hi all,

Thank you for the feedback, we're definitely listening and taking it onboard since this is a brand new system. I didn't design the system myself, but I did develop it, so I'll try to respond to each of you as best I can.

EChondo, I definitely see your point and can appreciate that having each power bound to an individual key would be preferable to you. I mentioned in my last comment that we'll continue to work on this feature, and I'm sure that bringing back the ability to rebind powers will be high on our list of things to do.

ZodiacShinryu, it's true that the Right Bumper can no longer be used for actions other than activating (or choosing) your powers. If you previously bound Right Bumper to something else, you will likely find that since U15 you can no longer activate powers, and will need to reset your controller bindings in order for things to work. Once again, we apologize for the confusion and for having to restrict you in this way.

hypnobeard, if you prefer to use the Previous Power / Next Power actions to cycle through powers, you're still able to do that. The only difference now is that you must use the Right Bumper to activate them. As I mentioned in my last comment, you can still tap the Right Bumper and it will work to activate whichever power is currently highlighted. It's only when you hold it down that you will then have the option of pressing one of the four face buttons. Once again, I appreciate you may have been accustomed to using the RStick for this function and we will hopefully bring back the ability to change this binding in the future.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the sprinting seems off, even when returned to a toggle. Before whenever I stopped to aim or press the action button, the toggle would automatically turn off, and once I started moving again I would just be able to toggle it back on and go. Now, it seems the toggle is... "suppressed" or something, and just doesn't work for the remainder of it's time on. I then have to manually toggle it off which does nothing, then toggle AGAIN to turn it back on.

For example: I press in the left thumbstick once to toggle sprint. I'm sprinting, and spot an enemy. I left trigger to aim which slows my movement to a walk. I aim and shoot the enemy and kill it, and release left trigger to no longer aim. I am now walking. (This is how it has behaved up until now) I press in the left thumbstick again to re-toggle sprint, and I continue to walk. I press in the left thumbstick again to re-RE-toggle sprint, and it now allows me to again sprint.

Also, another annoyance I saw with a controller is between waves of Defense and Interception missions. Before, you were able to use your controller to select whether you would keep going or extract. Now it no longer accepts input from the controller at those points and you have to click manually. Almost wasted a tower defense key on that one the first time. Also, another good thing with the Syndicates now is on the results screen have it so that left and right bumper allow you to page between the Mission Results screen and the Syndicate Results screen, sort of like how they're used in the foundry.

Edit: Yeah I have no idea what you folks are talking about. I changed my controller bindings to the way they were before and other than my reload button now rooming with my action button, everything's back to normal as far as bindings. IE: Right bumper is melee, left bumper is use power. Works fine for me so far. Please don't change that. ;_;

Edited by Aamcotronix

so where would the melee go? would it go perhaps on sprint/dodge? (LBumper) on aim? (LTrigger) on fire (RTrigger)? nope im afraid theyre all used, so are you suggesting, and please do listen carefully, that i try and use my RThumb to try and move the camera around AND use the new directional melee system with the same thumb? maybe put melee on B? putting it on the thumbstick itself would be catastrophic due to the response time and jogging direction as you click, logically it MUST be on one of the 4 top buttons, but they are now all used, one has been taken away and the others are required for successful gameplay.

so what am i to do? bind use ability back to Y. and have to hold Y and then select an ability?

perhaps remove both thumbs from both sticks and leave myself unable to look around or move every time i wish to use an ability?

also, you seem to have skipped over the fact that while you are forced to bind the 4 abilities to the pad (which it seems i am)

i now need 3 more buttons minimum for my pad, not very realistic, the ability to UNbind the abilities which you dont use as often to free button space is essential

I would like to point out btw, im not against change, if youd like to give us a selectable "shift" key to double the buttons we have access to on our controllers, go for that, that would be useful, but this is a step backwards, perhaps trying to emulate another game to make folks feel at home? this isnt that game, and we were doing just fine with the controls as recently as 7 hours ago :)

Edited by hypnobeard

Hi Aamcotronix,

I've confirmed the issue you mentioned. As you say, it seems like the game doesn't automatically toggle sprint off when you aim or perform some other action that slows your warframe to a walk, and thus when you next toggle it, you're forced to press it twice to set it back to sprint. I will make sure this bug is looked into right away.

Also, hypnobeard, the default binding for Melee is now on the B key. I believe this changed in our last major update (we combined Use (now referred to as Context Action) and Reload (by default these are on the X button), moved Melee from the Right Bumper to B, and moved Activate Power from the Right Stick to the Right Bumper).

In addition, even though the four powers appear to consume the four face buttons when viewing the Customize Controller screen, since they only become active when the Right Bumper is held, you're still able to have A, B, X and Y perform other actions during gameplay. This new system which I've mentioned is intended to give players more functionality without needing a controller with more buttons.

Hopefully this helps :)

Thanks!

i dont think you guys thought this through

directional melee - requires B button and R Thumbstick?

at the same time? im not sure when you used a pad last Jim but i suggest you revisit the principle

after 1800+ hours just in WarFrame, im pretty sure thats unachievable without having two thumbs on your right hand

Upgrade? please.....

give us a general shift key np, but you cannot after ive played 1800 hours in your game tell me i HAVE to change my buttons, i cannot have them set as i did, i have to learn to play again. because i fear you will find, I like many others, WILL learn to play again, learn to play > SOMETHING ELSE!

Edited by hypnobeard

Not gonna lie, this is extremely annoying. I cannot remap anything to how I want it to be without something breaking. Either Archwing abilities are unable to be used and I can melee, or I must sacrifice melee to use abilities. If I change the reload button to the melee button I can melee and use my abilities, however I can no longer channel for some reason. I don't know why y'all are screwing with the controller scheme like this. U15 is buggy enough and now I can't properly play with the controls I've used since U8.

Edited by StratoS117