Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Maneuvers?

DarknightK

First of all, should anyone find other topics (I've already tried searching, couldn't find any related) similar to this, plawks post/quote them onto here.

So after having a multitude of maneuvers, I'd thought of some interesting parkour and even a few stealth animations and tactics to spice up the game, feel free to post your own ideas onto here, perhaps we can get a potential livestream topic going sooner or later? :3

[12/23/13]: Organized the Post a little with spoilers, categorizing the different aspects of gameplay as I go along.

Direct Combat/Contact Maneuvers

Stepping Stone: While players are airborne, holding the jump button while meeting an enemy's head will cause the player to use their head's as stepping stones and initiate a kind of "double jump" (AIR ROLLS WHEEEEE) and cause the enemy to stagger the opposite direction. This ability would take a considerable amount of stamina, and other maneuvers such as sliding or jump attacking could be used in conjunction with this.

Finishing Melee Kill: This is more of a fancy-dancy suggestion. If a player is going to land a critical hit that kills an enemy, they will do a cinematic animation unique to each melee weapon. The animation will provide invincibility frames, but will be considerably shorter than stealth attacks. For some weapons however (such as heavy weapons), the animation may be slightly longer. Maybe stealth moves could be revamped to have this 'cinematic' move if it successfully one-shots the enemy. Ideas?

Tackle Takedown: While the player is rolling, pressing E will allow the player to lunge tackle. This has a slightly further range than the combat roll, and if missed, will simply be another combat roll, but with 0% dodge properties (I'll get to that in a second). The attack properties itself will knockdown enemies (or maybe throw them a long distance, like with the Bo or Amphis), and will basically deal "charge" damage as for now (unless DE starts deciding to put unique damage ratings for Jump and Slide attacks). Each weapon TYPE would have a unique takedown animation (Like the Staff weapons doing some sort of throw, the dual dagger weapons leaping on an enemy, any rolling forward with them, THE KOGAKE PREFORMING A HURRICANA). This would take a certain amount of stamina, I guess :S

Perfect Blocking and Counterattacks: By pressing the block button right as a player is being melee'd, the player will parry and knockdown their attacker for a cost of some stamina. At higher levels, enemies will gain their own forms of "Parries", however players can execute the melee button while the enemy is parrying them to counterattack, dealing a sizable amount of damage.

Meat Shields: Oooooh this is a fun one I saw a while back. Basically, when an enemy is stunned (NOT STAGGERED), players could activate the action prompt (X by default) to grab the enemy and use them as a meat shield. This would attract some enemy attention, and would provide a temporary shield, all the while the enemy is strangling try to break free. Players must keep the enemy held down by pressing the action button when enemies try to squirm out of your grasp. Being hit by enemies will loosen your grip on the meat shield. The enemy's health would be decreasing while using them. Also, player's can simply press E to just execute the enemy if they're done with 'em. Oh and sidearms only while meat shielding. Only works on humanoid enemies (so no Heavy Grineer, Corpus Techs and Moas, Ancients, and probably chargers).

Acrobatics

Dodge Roll Properties: Some players have asked for a certain "dodge percentage" while rolling, which may be low at first, but can be increased by mods (including roll distance).

Backwards Roll: By pressing the Backwards and Roll buttons together quickly, players will be able to roll backwards while facing forward (backwards strafe).

Continuous Backflipping/Cartwheeling: I guess for a certain more percentage of stamina, players could keep backflipping (and possibly apply the same dodge properties for this as with the roll mechanics too?) as long as they had the stamina for it.

Dragon Backflip Kick: Forward + Jump + Ctrl. We all know this move, how it knocks enemies down as a semi-reliable CC. Here's a few changes for the (hopeful) better. Enemies that are hit will not be knocked down, but will be knocked back instead. Knocked back enemies that collide with other enemies will apply the knockdown status on them. Additionally, before the player makes contact with the enemy, holding the Jump button will allow players to backflip once they kick the enemy, adding additional force and saving the player from landing in the middle of an expecting crock-pot full of baddies.

Handspring Vaulting: I'll try not to go too much into the vaulting detail, since the widely acclaimed Parkour thread sums it up pretty well. However while Cartwheeling or Handspringing, players often run into objects. Now, player's will vault over the objects in a acrobatic-like style, making them difficult to target while in the air.

Wall/Surface Jumping: While wall-sliding or running or grappling or whatever, players can zoom in and press space, allowing them to dart jump to a specific location instead of the usual backflip. Some have even suggested being able to run upside-down (uses more stamina than regular wall running) or even jump upsidedown and preform some whacky air attack kill.

Charged Walljump: By looking directly at the wall you are clinging onto, and by holding the jump button, players can expend more stamina in order to backflip a greater distance.

Co-Op Actions/Maneuvers!

The functionality of these moves are VERY limited to how well players coordinate themselves in a game and depending on how well DE can code this in with lag and client issues.

Jump Boost: One player crouches, and holds the action button, moving into a supportive boost pose with their hands together like a step. Other players can press the action button when close to get basically a version of Super Jump with less height (basically a double jump).

Tornado Swing: I'm not sure how one would pull this off, but the result would be one warframe grabbing and spinning another warframe that is running at them at high speeds. This will automatically make the player that was thrown enter a high-velocity slide kick(with effects similar to Volt's speed).

Gestures: From Army of Two, there were a few gestures that players could activate with one another. Maybe as a recreational factor DE could add some of these (DOJO HIGH-FIVE PARTIES WOO).

Edited by DarknightK

i like most of the suggestions except for the finishing move.

its gonna require too much animation and way too much time for a fast paced, gun blazing game. games like god of war, prince of persia, assassins creed, sniper V2 are some games with good finishing moves but most of them requires a separate animation time which is not bad for those games coz they are done usually at solo gaming... warframe on the other hand is a co-op game where "looking cool" must be balanced out with the fast pace of the game...

on the other hand if stealth/ slow paced gaming in warframe were to be improved this idea is not actually that bad...

All but the finishing melee kill since I think most the charged attacks are flashy enough when used in conjunction with Slide/Normal/Jump/Wall attacks (and with your suggestion, Roll).

And to note, Jump, Wall, and Slide attack per weapons all have different values. (For slide, it's usually 2x the normal attack or pegged at 100, sometimes it's even higher than 2x like the Dual Ethers having 150. Wall attack is roughly 1.75x the normal...With the exception of Kogake with a whopping 1000 damage wall attack.) so it won't be far to say that DE is controlling all of these values individually of a charge/normal, what modifiers affect them though is a different story. (Pressure Point affects Slide, Wall, and some Jump. Killing Blow affects some Jumps)

"Meatshield" description feels wrong though, your enemies aren't about to shoot their friend just because you have him in your grasp. Aggro should still be directed to you since just having that body block in front of you will make that poor thing eat some bullets. Also you shouldn't be able to this for MoAs of any type. (not that their "friends" will care, they don't have any.)

I think the Kogake's stealth kill is a neck snap, but yeah, I'd really prefer to see more ninja-y-ish moves here and there.

Also, I agree with the meatshields suggestion, and definitely no Moa-grappling, lets keep it to humanoid enemies (non-Heavy grineer, Moas, Techs, and Ancients, oh and maybe no chargers as well).

• 2 weeks later...