Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Take On Improving The U10 Arsenal Ui

Tokila

Let me start by saying that I am horribly displeased with the new UI that came with Update 10. It's a UI made for consoles and I am a PC gamer. I preferred the old UI A LOT over the new one since it was a "point and click" UI, perfect for mouse and keyboard users. Now, the UI is more of a "scrolling" UI which suits gamepad players more.

With the old UI, I could just point and click my Warframe to access the warframe selection menu, or point and click my weapon to access the weapon subemnu. But now, we have to "scroll" through the UI to access submenus, and these submenus have even more submenus.

Here's an example of what I mean by a "scrolling" UI made for gamepads user:

My goal is to increase the level of a mod on my current equipped Warframe. First, I have to point and click the Warframe button to access it's submenu (i.e. show the Equip/Upgrade/Appearance menu). Then, I have to point and click the Upgrade button to access that menu. And we are now in the mod window. It took me four whole (drag, click, drag, click) steps to do something that I could just do in two steps (drag, click). I'm sure that the mod UI will be upgraded to something similar eventually, which I am very displeased with.

I am a PC gamer, and that kind of menus does not suit me well. I want a single menu if possible, lots of shortcuts and mostly a UI that uses ALL the space on the screen, not just 50% of it.

When Update 9 came out, the foundry UI was changed to a "scrolling" type of UI and was almost immediately reverted to an updated version of the older UI, which was much better in my opinion. It's a good UI compatible with PC users, since all I have to do to get all the information I need from the Foundry is to scroll with my mouse wheel up to the item I am looking for.

If you want a side to side comparison between a scrolling menu and a point and click menu, look at the default UI from TES:Skyrim (which was made for gamepad users) and the most recent version of SkyUI, which is a perfect UI for PC users in my opinion.

Ok, enough ranting. Now on to the constructive part of the post. Here's how I would modify the Arsenal menu to make it more PC user friendly.

1) Let's add more shortcuts to the Arsenal window. Instead of having to select submenu after submenu, What I suggest doing is to add all the buttons to the Arsenal window directly. Let's eliminate a useless Submenu for PC users.

2) Also, move these menus to the left so that we use all the space of the screen.

3) Let's place the 8 gear boxes back on that UI like it was before to eliminate the useless Gear submenu. There's plenty of space for it on the screen, so I don't see why not.

4) Move the stats to the far right and the abilities so that we can actually read them.

5) Move the warframe in the middle of the screen, looks way better that way.

Doing these three changes, we would get a much better Arsenal UI for PC users in my opinion. It would be a simple point and click UI instead of a scrolling UI where you have to dig through submenus. Here's what it would look like (in my mind's eye):

Test_UI.jpg

This is my opinion, feel free to debate below and give your opinion too.

But let's face it, some people are happy with the new UI and some people are not. Nobody will ever be happy with the UI unless DE gives us UI mod support (not full mod support, but something along the lines of LOTRO where limited UI mods can be made, especially for skins and such).

P.S.: I already know that I have no art skills whatsoever.

But now, we have to "scroll" through the UI to access submenus, and these submenus have even more submenus.

Scroll? I've seen no scrolls there and no submenus. Hover-over, click one of the points in the menu and you are there. It just got compacted as to not occupy half of the screen.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

I personally like the new UI.  You don't have to click on the warframe to access the warframe submenus you just hover over them.  Some things do take slightly longer to get to but some are quicker to get to now.  Also the stats are all the way to the right and the menus are all the way to the left for me so I don't understand what you mean by that.  Unless its a resolution thing and then yeah it should be changed.