Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Environmental Effects Suggestions?

DarknightK

As you may already know, seasoned players, there are only two types of Environmental Effects in the game:

Cryogenic Leak (Reduces Shields)

Explosive Munitions (Scattered Fire and Grineer Corpses)

Void Storm (I guess, for Arid Fear event :S)

Here's to more environmental effects! :D

Ships Only

Power Outage: Complete Darkness except for emergency lights and ambience (Space). Only occurs on Non-sabotage missions

Volatile Gas: Clouds of explosive gas are scattered around that can be triggered by gunfire or other reactants.

Planets & Ships

Asteroid Storm: Random screen shake, players and enemies get staggered and ragdolled around. Lights flicker. On planets, asteroids will slam onto the ground occasionally, dealing heavy damage to those caught in the explosion radius.

Overcharge: Electronics emit pulses of electricity that damage players and enemies alike

Acidic Vapor: Periodically, poison gas will emerge from vents. (Originally proposed to lower Tenno and enemy armor, but revised)

Solar Flare: Tenno Maximum energy is increased by 10% from their base (unmodded) level.

- this feels too convenient. i'm thinking more like 25% more Energy and Shields, but periodically the EMP Disruption effect happens, disabling your shields and removing energy stores. however unlike Ancient Distruptors, once worn off, Shields and Energy would be full. 

maybe some tweaking, but it sounds like a great mix between positive and negative. technically, you have infinite Energy and Shields, but it'll get taken away entirely at times during the mission, leaving you pretty exposed.

Radiation Leakage: Periodic Radiation waves sweep the ship, obscuring vision and aim for a while [both Tenno and Enemy)

Weather:

As of U11, areas such as the Grineer settlement have Sandstorms now regularly. Weather should be implemented into all non-ship levels that also works in tandem with environmental effects

Corpus Outpost: Snowstorm: Being exposed in the cold drains shields at a slow rate to 50%. Returning indoors will allow your shields to recharge up to full value. Also shortens enemy line of sight (LoS), allowing players to get closer without being spotted. Note that this also decreases Tenno LoS.

Grineer Settlement: Sandstorm: Violent sandstorms will slow down enemies (they will raise their arms to block their faces from the sand), and like the snowstorm for the Corpus outpost, will lower their (and your) LoS. Tenno will be slowed if they are caught inside a sandstorm as well.

Corpus Gas City: Hydrogen Smog: Due to over-filtration of the gas that flows through the Gas City, some of it builds up until it has to be manually deposited back into the atmosphere through the Gas City's natural air flow architecture. Certain areas of the Gas City will have streams of Hydrogen running through them to the outside. This Smog acts as a Viral proc chance, and will temporarily lower any entity's health that enters it.

Grineer Jungle: Dense Fog: Dense Fog will heavily blur the enemy's LoS, and will allow Tenno to evade Grineer more swiftly than normal.

Grineer Shipyard: Thunderstorm: Heavy rain blankets the map, effectively reducing enemy LoS. However, periodically bolts of lightning will illuminate the map, which can cause Tenno to be spotted should they be out in the open. Thunder can also be used as a means of "silencing" weapons temporarily, by firing them as soon as the thunder strike sounds. Periodically, bolts of high-voltage lightning will strike tall objects in the map such as Lightning Rods (The Grineer anticipated the possibility of frequent thunderstorms, so they exploited the land!). This will power Grineer Gauss batteries, which will emit bursts of electricity (like in the Void tileset with that long hallway with the electric conductors).

Any more suggestions are appreciated! :>>

Edited by DarknightK

As you may already know, seasoned players, there are only two types of Environmental Effects in the game:

Cryogenic Leak (Reduces Shields)

Explosive Munitions (Scattered Fire and Grineer Corpses)

Void Storm (I guess, for Arid Fear event :S)

Here's to more environmental effects! :D

Ships Only

Power Outage: Complete Darkness except for emergency lights and ambience (Space). Only occurs on Non-sabotage missions

Volatile Gas: Clouds of explosive gas are scattered around that can be triggered by gunfire or other reactants.

Planets & Ships

Asteroid Storm: Random screen shake, players and enemies get staggered and ragdolled around. Lights flicker. On planets, asteroids will slam onto the ground occasionally, dealing heavy damage to those caught in the explosion radius.

Overcharge: Electronics emit pulses of electricity that damage players and enemies alike

Acidic Vapor: Periodically, poison gas will emerge from vents. (Originally proposed to lower Tenno and enemy armor, but revised)

Solar Flare: Tenno Maximum energy is increased by 10% from their base (unmodded) level.

Radiation Leakage: Periodic Radiation waves sweep the ship, obscuring vision and aim for a while [both Tenno and Enemy)

Any more suggestions are appreciated! :>>

I like this.

Agreed. +1

They were already talking about more environmental hazards (but it probaly fell of their plate because of all the other stuff they are working on)

Power outage tho is already in the game, but not very noticible because of four bright flashlight shinning everywhere.

But I do hope they add more hazards sometime.

Are you talking about when you destroy the reactor?

Yeah that's what my idea was based on, however even with the four flashlights, it still seemed too bright. My brightness settings are pretty average, but I'd like something similar to Dead-Space darkness, or something ominous to keep the player on their toes.

The Power Outage in sabotage missions is a step in the right direction, but sadly its not too effective.

Though that may all change when DE puts in more environmental hazards.

Are you talking about when you destroy the reactor?

Yeah that's what my idea was based on, however even with the four flashlights, it still seemed too bright. My brightness settings are pretty average, but I'd like something similar to Dead-Space darkness, or something ominous to keep the player on their toes.

The Power Outage in sabotage missions is a step in the right direction, but sadly its not too effective.

Though that may all change when DE puts in more environmental hazards.

Ye, try to have a volt with overload in your team. If a volt overload in a big room it can get to that level of darkness (since your lights don't turn on)

Sadly it's only for one room.

most important is to actually have these environmental effects affect the enemies as well

currently ingame the smoke from exploding barrels obscures YOUR vision, but the AI sees through it perfectly fine (just as an example)

but all that aside, +9999 OP, great ideas

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

- logic says getting hit by an Asteroid (that you didn't see coming, probably) would instantly kill Tenno. 

gameplay says randomly dying to something that falls from space is hella ghey. 

i do like the idea, however.

- this feels too convenient. i'm thinking more like 25% more Energy and Shields, but periodically the EMP Disruption effect happens, disabling your shields and removing energy stores. however unlike Ancient Distruptors, once worn off, Shields and Energy would be full. 

maybe some tweaking, but it sounds like a great mix between positive and negative. technically, you have infinite Energy and Shields, but it'll get taken away entirely at times during the mission, leaving you pretty exposed. 

• 3 weeks later...

- logic says getting hit by an Asteroid (that you didn't see coming, probably) would instantly kill Tenno. 

gameplay says randomly dying to something that falls from space is hella ghey. 

i do like the idea, however.

Yeah, but maybe the asteroids could be huge balls of cotton candy? :3

And that sounds like a perfect idea, the downtime should be random between 10 seconds to a minute? Or does that seem too short? :p

Either way, good suggestion.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmm, that's basically the Incendiary and "Ship Integrity" events piled into one.

How about this?

Meltdown: The ship's engine has malfunctioned and is overloading. Vents will expel superheated gas (heat) at random times, electronics may randomly overload, and there is a slightly rare chance for a tile (room) to spontaneously combust and explode and turn into a vacuum when you enter it.