Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Injectors -- Sweetfx

xxx7

Question

Thought I'd re-write this post since a lot has been answered, solved, etc. and make a single go-to post for quick overview. This thread is about the use of SweetFX for Warframe. Thanks to some very helpful Tenno -- mainly sushidubya, Koyamina, RedDirtTrooper, CeePee, and RawGritz -- we now have a complete set-up guide!

Great news everyone: Thanks to U14, Warframe is now compatible with SweetFX in DX11! No more "half-half-grey-glitch"!

IS IT LEGAL?

So, first things first: Can the use of a graphical/shader injector mod ban you? Answer is

Nope, you're good.

and can be found here posted by no one else but DE_Steve himself: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34366-update-781/page-5#entry314666

WHAT'S IT FOR?

Alright, with that out of the way, what does it actually do? Well, in short it enhances the graphics, mainly by sharpening and eliminating the blurries caused by Warframe's FXAA. Here are some comparison shots. Removed pics. Might post a more extreme setting to better showcase the difference ("it's hard to put a movie in an image").

INSTALL GUIDE

How do I get and install it? I suggest you follow sushidubya's step-by-step guide here. Please note that for non-Steam users your install directory will be

/Warframe/Downloaded/Public

instead of

/Steam/SteamApps/commons/Warframe

OK. I got a couple of PMs from the other posters in this thread. So if you guys read earlier I recommended to try the "sharp and clean" setting at this link:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/445/

on that link he refers people to download a certain build of sweetFX here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

All I did was take the files like in this image here:

1.jpg

and copied them to my install folder (it varies depending on if you used steam or original installer) but basically the folder where Warframe.exe is located. The folder should look like this after you copy the files:

2.jpg

So on that first link I have referred you guys to the "sharp and clean" page looks like this:

3.jpg

Download the text file by clicking "download preset" then take that text file and copy to the warframe install directory:

4.jpg

It should look like the picture above when you're done. you're going to delete the original "SweetFX_Settings" file. After that you're going to take the "SweetFX_Settings_Warframe_Sharp and clean.txt" file and rename it to "SweetFX_Settings" exactly like the original file.

To make sure it's installed correctly there's a way to make half the screen work with SweetFX and the other half not. So you can verify it's running. Open that text file and you should see this:

5.jpg

Change the number 0 that I highlighted in red to a 1 then save the txt file.

Open the warframe launcher and make sure you're using 32bit. You should see a dramatic difference between the right side of the screen (SweetFX active) vs the left side which is normal.

Good luck and enjoy!

Important

If you want to use WF in 64bit mode, just copy the files (d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll) in the SweetFx_64 folder and replace the one in the WarFrame main folder. Make backup of the original file in case you wanna use 32bit later.

If you keep crashing when using the 64bit version, close all overlay you have like Fraps/TS3 overlay. You can run Fraps after the game has been launched. (Thanks for reminding me, Alif. Don't know why I forgot to add this)

I'll keep this updated and will try to add as much as possible. Feedback, questions, etc. welcome!

NOTES:

SMAA does not seem to work with Nvidia cards. SMAA does work on Nvidia cards. If you can't see any difference try lowering the SMAA threshold (I put it on 0.08 along with lowering LumaSharpen to 2.30). Also, be sure to turn off in-game AA or it won't work!

The 64bit version has been tested and found to work on both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards.

SweetFx is now 100% compatible with Warframe in DX11 mode, thanks to U14!

Presets:

Here is a collection of presets made for Warframe by the community. Pick to your liking!

My own version of "sharp and clean"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2582421

sushidubya's "latest and greatest"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2270098

RawGritz's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2147335

RawGritz's alt version

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=3096302

GunerXX's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2018307

"Detailed Warframe v3.2 x64"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2117363

Original post:

Now I know there have been various talks about this in the past, but not one of them actually answered this question. I tried contacting the DEvs, but they seem busy reading old PMs XD.

So, on to the question: Is the use of graphical/shader injector mods (read SweetFX) allowed to use for Warframe? I'd really like to use it for LumaSharpen, SMAA, and perhaps some color tint changes.

If anyone has an answer to this, please do post and include source if possible. Thanks!

Edited by xxx7

i've used both the 1.4 x64 release that's been suggested, as well as SweetFX 1.5.1. have tried putting all files in the Executable folder for both, and have tried moving everything but the Injector Hooks into the Tools folder for both.

Edit:

and deleted all files relating to SweetFX before changing versions to make sure i don't get partial copies.

Hmm...  I didn't have to do any of that.  I just copied all the files and folders into my warframe directory, then it worked.

I then read up on changing the sweetfx settings.txt files and started messing with the shaders.

Usually when folks have trouble crashing here or with it not working there was an issue with how they copied the files over and/or they didn't install direct x at all.

YES...  that's right...  you have to install DirectX on windows 8 machines.

or with it not working there was an issue with how they copied the files over

can't do it any other way than extract&paste. 

as forementioned, InjectSMAA did create it's Log, but it was the default one with just an explanation, never actually writing to it.

but SweetFX doesn't create the Log.

Edit:

Steam Overlay is also disabled (i'm running the Steam install directly anyways, since the Steam API seems to get in the way of Warframe operating correctly), and i tried disabling the only overlay i have, which is FRAPS, and it still didn't hook.

Edited by taiiat

as forementioned, InjectSMAA did create it's Log, but it was the default one with just an explanation, never actually writing to it.

Edit:

Steam Overlay is also disabled (i'm running the Steam install directly anyways, since the Steam API seems to get in the way of Warframe operating correctly), and i tried disabling the only overlay i have, which is FRAPS, and it still didn't hook.

Which is also weird, because I have SweetFX working with Steam overlay.  I didn't ave to do anything with administrator privileges, etc.

Edited by sushidubya

where can I get sweet FX on nvidia?

i can't find an official site

Go to the first page of this thread.  Read through the first post.  There's an installation guide there along with links on where to download it.

Enjoy!

EDIT:  There are newer builds out and different settings, so read through the thread if you want to try those.

Edited by sushidubya

Edit:

try the boulotar injector version I linked to. Especially if you are running in 64 bit. I extracted in to the main warframe folder with the executable, then copied the 64 bit DLLs from the newly extracted sub folder in to the same main folder over writing the default 32 bit ones. Boulotar uses a completely different injector. He did remap some of the keys, like insert for on off instead of scroll, and you may want to edit those back first so you don't go crazy.

try the boulotar injector version I linked to. Especially if you are running in 64 bit. I extracted in to the main warframe folder with the executable, then copied the 64 bit DLLs from the newly extracted sub folder in to the same main folder over writing the default 32 bit ones. Boulotar uses a completely different injector. He did remap some of the keys, like insert for on off instead of scroll, and you may want to edit those back first so you don't go crazy.

That doesn't work for me. 

I've been using SweetFX for years on most of my games. But this boulotar is not taking.

Edited by RawGritz

That's doesn't work for me. 

I've been using SweetFX for years on most of my games. But this boulotar is not taking.

Very strange. I'm running warframe in steam, 64 bit, windows 8.1 pro, on a nvidia GPU. I got sweetfx, no messed up textures, working with steam and raptor overlay. No issues.

Very strange. I'm running warframe in steam, 64 bit, windows 8.1 pro, on a nvidia GPU. I got sweetfx, no messed up textures, working with steam and raptor overlay. No issues.

GTX 780, Win 7 x64. 

But those SweetFX settings are no go for me.

Unfortunately, it's one of those things you just have to experiment with, the newest version is 1.5.1, you can get the original of that, or the boulotar injector version, or one of the older versions. Some people are able to use the radeonpro tool(regardless of nvidia or amd video card, it works for both) and the version 1.4 to get it working even when other solutions won't. Some people have had great success using weird hybrids of radeonpro and version 1.5.1 that work perfectly for them and yet crash to desktop or don't work at all for others.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=381912 is the official release thread, and there are tons of different modifications and guides in that enormous thread, one of which will work for you, but nobody can tell you which one. Consider that the boulotar version, the one I linked to most recently in this thread, is working absolutely perfectly for me, but RawGritz has no luck with it running a slightly newer video card and a slightly older operating system. Of course, he didn't say if he was running the steam version or not, so if he's not it's possible he needs to copy everything but the dll files to the tool folder, and that will fix it, or maybe not.

Edited by RedDirtTrooper

Of course, he didn't say if he was running the steam version or not, so if he's not it's possible he needs to copy everything but the dll files to the tool folder, and that will fix it, or maybe not.

Right.

I'm using the Steam version. But I was thinking I could try copying everything but .dll's to the Tools folder, anyway. No harm in trying...

I've been a regular poster in this thread pages past. I've posted screenshots and shared my settings on request. I do have some nice settings BTW...LoL. So I'm familiar with SweetFX. I run it on Far Cry 4, Crysis 3, BF3, BF4, The Witcher 2, Titanfall and others. 

However... Even I get the half-N-half effect. I am currently using this version to get it working on x64.exe So I would love to find a fix...alas...

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1193/

Edited by RawGritz

Ya, you sound like you know what you are doing, but you know sweetfx. Sometimes it just doesn't do what you want it to. Sorry the boulotar injector didn't work for you. have you tried the 1.5.1 + efx injector beta? https://www.facebook.com/download/403124456458011/SweetFX%2BEFX%20Beta%20win%208.1.rar

I had to use it to get sweetfx working on Injustice when the Boulotar injector wouldn't work for that game.

Ya, you sound like you know what you are doing, but you know sweetfx. Sometimes it just doesn't do what you want it to. Sorry the boulotar injector didn't work for you. have you tried the 1.5.1 + efx injector beta? https://www.facebook.com/download/403124456458011/SweetFX%2BEFX%20Beta%20win%208.1.rar

I had to use it to get sweetfx working on Injustice when the Boulotar injector wouldn't work for that game.

Thanks!

Let me try that now. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Let me try that now. I'll let you know.

Works great--without a hitch. NO MORE HALF AND HALF glitch!!!

Just dumped everything in the zip/.rar file into the main Warframe directory/folder in Steam. Now I'm off to play with the settings.

Thanks a ton!

Edited by RawGritz

Question:

I installed warframe off their website, then linked it to steam to get the asa syandana later.

Where should I install sweetFX in please?

If you are running the Steam version then place SweetFX files in the main Warframe directory. This is... ...Steamapps\common\warframe

Works great--without a hitch. NO MORE HALF AND HALF glitch!!!

Just dumped everything in the zip/.rar file into the main Warframe directory/folder in Steam. Now I'm off to play with the settings.

Thanks a ton!

Awesome. It really is strange how one of the solutions will work for one person, and someone else will have to use a different one. Oh well, it's worth playing with to make my games look awesome, but I can understand why some people think it's too much work and over complicated. For instance, that efx beta works for Diablo 3 on my brothers computer, and doesn't even turn on in diablo 3 for me, and I'm the one who set it up identically on both machines. Sometimes it feels like five different people trying to run sweetfx end up with three different solutions before they all get it working.