Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fan Fiction] The Cell

GorgutzGunsmasha

Posting this in a thread of its own because I didn't realize the "How you envision your Tenno" thread evolved on its own to become something completely different from what I thought! (Not that I still won't keep monitoring that thread)

Important Disclaimer: I'm not a native english-speaker, and despite being fairly good at English, some parts are guaranteed to sound a bit off. Any correction/rephrasing is absolutely appreciated, as well as any feedback. I know my pacing and my tendency to jump from description to action isn't exactly the best...

This is a story centered around a Tenno Cell. It's inspired by the many playthroughs with my other two IRL friends who respectively play Warframe with a Mag and an Excalibur, and I've *really* tried hard to give each Tenno some sort of personality beyond the whole "amnesiac supersoldier". This is the first part, introducing the various members of the Cell but focusing mostly on Rhino, my favourite Warframe ATM. I'm very inclined to continue this in four separate parts, each focusing on each member (Yes, a fourth Tenno may pop up along the way! Gotta keep in mind the random players that connect mid-mission, after all :D). I plan to explore more of the group's past in the next parts.

I'm trying to follow canon as much as I can, by the way. Feel free to correct me if I made any mistake. For now my only assumption is that Tenno are a race of humanoids wearing the Warframes, not some sort of uploaded consciousness in a foreign body like some speculate.

Let's cut out the chit-chat and go with the first part, now.

-------------------------------------------------

The Cell - Rhino

Rhino stopped on its tracks and waited. He paused briefly to observe the TechnoCyte Virus-encrusted walls of the large room of the Corpus installation he and his cell was assigned to clear from the Infested with both fascination and disgust. Tiny moving pseudo-pods and bio-luminescent tendrils extended from the mold-like formations and grasped at the air, clearly alive. Excalibur gave him a single pat on his back, as if to remind him of the task at hand. "It is time." He added in a whisper as Rhino turned back to face him. Rhino drew his primary weapon of choice for this Extermination Mission, a Soma rifle, and rocked back the bolt in the lance-like firearm's receiver with a solid click.

The mysterious, yet familiar female voice spoke through the comms to the three Tenno in the Cell involved with the operation. "Multiple lifeforms detected. Infested incoming.".

Rhino didn't know who or what Lotus really was, but his meditative nature meant he always ruminated on it, if only in the back of his head, along with his lost memories and what little of them he managed to recover. But that wasn't the right time for such considerations. He pushed back his thoughts, and readied himself.

Mag, the other Tenno accompanying him during this mission, gracefully flung herself down the ledge of the metallic scaffolding from which the three of them were assessing the situation, silent but reactive as ever. Excalibur followed suit, diving mid-air and rolling on the floor once landing, extracting his Boltor.

With a loud thud, Rhino let himself fall behind them, starting to follow the tracks of his brethren looking for targets inside the facility. Their slicker warframes always proved to be faster than him, for some reason. Something he learned to counterbalance by timely sprinting and sliding among obstacles, a practice his fellow Excalibur always found peculiar and frequently teased him about.

Rhino's temperament was however mostly calm and collected when not involved in an assignment, and always dismissed the teasing at their Clan's Dojo knowing all-too well it was simply Excalibur's way of expressing his comradeship.

A good minute had already passed since the three-man Cell started venturing in the complex, when a nearby gate hissed open. The storage room the group was inspecting suddenly started to echo with the galloping sounds of running Infested. Mag opened fire from her Corpus-made Dera rifle, blue bolts of energy spraying in the direction of the mutated monstrosities. Excalibur's Boltor followed suit, in a crescendo of gunfire volume. Dozens of abominations disorderly running amok started to pour in in droves in the storage, thus prompting Rhino to add the fast, racketing burst of his Soma to the symphony of the firearm engagement. Punctured and oozing flesh, cauterized laser wounds and the lingering smell of the bodily fluids started to afflict the small savage horde as a result of the unending storm of fire from the Cell.

In mere dozens of seconds, the only sound filling the previously chaotic storage room became that of magazines and batteries being dropped and rifles reloaded. The amassed infected remains scattered around testifying the efficiency of the Cell's teamwork.

Excalibur took point. "Area cleared. We're moving in to sweep the next one." He stated in matter-of-fact tone over the communications channel.

"Very well. Proceed with caution." Replied the elusive woman on the other side.

Mag and Rhino followed Excalibur suit, each in their own distinctive way, along the maze-like structure of the facility: a Daedalus of hallways and corridors that entwined and twisted following whichever architectonic dictate the Corpus were so fond of. Maintenance shafts alternated large, temple-like areas, dotted by small, salvageable storage rooms in which the Cell paused from time to time. Contacts were few and easily dispatched.

Rhino alternated between firing his Soma at the charging Infested and charging into the fray himself with his Galatine firmly grasped by his strong hands, whereas Excalibur occasionally joined him in the melee with lighting fast, expert blows from his Cronus. Mag preferred to pick out her enemies from the large groups Rhino and Excalibur from a distance with her energy-spewing rifle.

It almost seemed that the three of them moved and acted like a perfectly organized team. And perhaps that could be considered true. On many occasions the three of them had been selected from their Clan by The Lotus to perform missions together, probably relying on the strong bond that had somehow formed between the initially undisciplined and poorly coordinated trainees they used to be.

Rhino sheathed his two-handed sword on his back, admiring his and his cellmate's handiwork. His eyes lingered on the brutally slashed bodies he and Excalibur had amassed. He always considered the Infested a worthy opponent: relentless, uncaring of fear or fatigue, driven only by a desire to face its enemies. In fact, he felt more at ease facing them than taking on the astute Corpus or the conceited Grineer.

An electronic beep coming from his communications array in his helmet brought him back to reality for a moment. “Seems like you have attracted more. Dispose of them as you please.” Said the female voice on the other side of the channel.

Mag averted her eyes from the freshly created mayhem to a nearby locked gate, large enough to let a Grineer excavator through. Scratching and wails were clearly audible from behind it.

Without a word, she simply turned towards the noise and shifted back into a combat stance. Rhino and Excalibur, on their part, merely walked to the sides of the still-closed gate, which, as indicated by the two neon-yellow panels, required simultaneous pressing of the keypads to be bypassed. Rhino and Excalibur wasted no time. The gate opened slowly, revealing another sea of Infested, this time accompanied by towering shambling figures, dragging long arms on the ground along with their twisted forms. Shrouded by clouds of toxic miasma, four of the shambling horrors started to charge forward, followed by dozens of four-legged clawed beasts and infected crewmen.

Excalibur glanced at Rhino, and Rhino could almost perceive the grin behind his helmet, the thought of which made him grin in response. “After you” He jauntily declared, quickly unsheathing his Cronus from his back.

As Mag's hands ceremoniously started to clasp the air with sparkles of electrostatic energy forming around them, Rhino's Warframe's muscle-enhancing system began to overload.

-------------------------------------------------

This is all for the first part, for now. Sorry if it's too long-winded, it's a tendency of mine to be quite verbose...

If you have any comment or feedback of any kind that would be extremely appreciated!