Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Understanding The Gradivus Dilemma - Event Breakdown (Confirmed By Rebecca)

MiaovenWinter

So, this is how I'm understanding this flood of new information concerning the structure of this event and its rewards. PLEASE, PLEASE comment if you have conflicting info with sources or reasoning. If you see a related DE post in another thread that we missed, please copypaste it here so that we can all better understand what's going on.

Update: all the info below has been confirmed by DERebecca as of post #49:

This is a 100% correct breakdown of the rewards. Thank you for taking the time to further clarify the stakes of the event!

We have the Battle Pay and Event Rewards as the two forms of participation rewards for this event.

Battle Pay is, if any of you have observed, the per-mission reward for participation in a particular event mission while siding with one of two sides of the conflict: Grineer or Corpus.

1. You must have completed an event mission five times for a particular side in order to qualify for that side's Battle Pay reward.

2. You will receive the Battle Pay reward in your Inbox after the mission has ended (that is, once that particular mission is no longer selectable as an event mission and has the text "CONQUERED" next to its Operations listing in the main menu).

3. Mission completions for an event mission on opposing sides counteract completions for each other. For instance, if I were to have five completions for Grineer logged on a particular event mission, and then complete a Corpus run on that mission, I would have an effective four completions for Grineer, and would no longer qualify for the Grineer Battle Pay reward (I have personally tested this).

4. In a scenario like the one in point #3 above, any counteracting Corpus completions will be properly recorded in your profile, but will not count towards qualifying for Corpus Battle Pay rewards, as shown on the "Battle Pay Qualification" progress bars in the event mission lobbies (also personally verified).

5. Therefore, if I were to have qualified for Grineer Battle Pay with five runs, and then decided to switch to Corpus Battle Pay, I would need to complete five Corpus runs to counter the Grineer runs, and then a further five runs to qualify for Corpus Battle Pay, for a total of fifteen runs (ten Corpus and five Grineer). This means one needs to complete a minimum of 50% + 5 runs for their preferred faction to qualify for that side's Battle Pay reward (this has not been tested, just using logic here).

Should go without saying, but the stipulations for Battle Pay rewards should not be considered when dealing with the Event Rewards, described below (just to clarify a separation in this explanation).

Event Rewards are the event-wide rewards for player participation, which will be distributed upon event completion (currently scheduled for next Wednesday, the 30th, I believe).

Event Rewards have three tiers. Each tier has two possible rewards, which are to be rewarded to players who accomplish a certain number of event missions. What follows is my translation of Rebecca's post in the Update 10.5 thread.

Tier 1: 

TIER ONE REWARDS - Complete 5 missions, regardless of victor.
  • IF you supported Corpus (more missions on their side than against) an elegant Corpus-branded event badge to show off your support for the enigmatic Corpus.
  • IF you supported Grineer (more missions on their side than against) a proud Grineer-branded event badge to show off your support of the mighty Grineer.

1. You must have a minimum of five total mission completions by the time the event ends.

2. The faction victor of the event, whether it be Grineer or Corpus, does not determine what reward one will receive (I understand the phrase "regardless of victor" in its current location could be confusing, but Rebecca actually sets a precedent for that line in future paragraphs IMO; it then becomes clear that this "victor" is that of the entire event, and not of any particular event mission).

3. You need a minimum of 50% + 1 completions for your preferred faction to acquire a Tier 1 reward (this is my common sense translation of Rebecca's language; "more missions on their side than against" simply describes a base majority to me).

4. Therefore, if I have three mission completions for Grineer and two for Corpus by event completion, I will receive the Grineer event badge for the Tier 1 reward.

Tier 2:

TIER TWO REWARDS - Complete 25 missions of any side, with the reward determined by the victor.
  • IF the Corpus win: A deadly Vandal edition of the PROVA. Stun your friends in style. This weapon is super-charged and comes with a weapon slot!
  • IF the GRINEER win: A Wraith edition MACHETE starving for blood. This weapon is super-charged and comes with a weapon slot!

1. You must have a minimum of 25 total mission completions by the time the event ends.

2. The reward for all qualified players will be determined by the faction victor of the event. However, your chosen preferred faction will not determine which reward you will receive (pretty straightforward, can't really be interpreted any other way with the information given).

3. Therefore, if I have, for example, 10 mission completions for Grineer and 15 for Corpus by event completion, and the Grineer win the event, I will receive the Machete Wraith for the Tier 2 reward (once again, to clarify, the distribution of mission completions across factions does not matter).

Tier 3:

TIER THREE - Complete 100 missions, with the reward determined by two factors: the victorious side AND if you supported them (you did more missions for them, than against them).

• IF the Corpus win:
    • And you supported them: The ferocious DETRON hand-cannon. The Detron will be super-charged along with a new weapon slot!
    • You did not support them: A DETRON blueprint, reverse-engineered by the Lotus.
  • IF the Grineer win:
  • And you supported them: The semi-automatic BRAKK hand-cannon. It comes super-charged and with a weapon slot included!
  • You did not support them: A BRAKK blueprint stolen from a Grineer datacenter.

1. You must have a minimum of 100 total mission completions by the time the event ends.

2. This reward is determined both by which faction wins the overall event and what faction the player supports throughout his/her total mission completions.

3. To qualify for either the "Corpus win" or the "Grineer win" rewards, you must have a minimum of 50% + 1 mission completions for your preferred faction (now, this is the one that people are most confused about, and we do indeed need official clarification from DE; however, in this post Rebecca once again uses the "more missions for them than against them" language, which as I remarked on before, clearly communicates to me the most basic 50% + 1 majority).

4. If the Corpus win the event, players who sided with the Corpus will receive the Detron weapon supercharged and with a weapon slot; if you sided with the Grineer instead, you will receive a Detron blueprint for your Foundry.

5. If the Grineer win the event, players who sided with the Grineer will receive the Brakk weapon supercharged and with a weapon slot; if you sided with the Corpus instead, you will receive a Brakk blueprint for your Foundry.

(This was confusing to a lot of people as well, and I in fact misread this a couple times, but once you focus, it becomes pretty clear.)

Edited by MiaovenWinter

So here's what I'm thinking in terms of strategies for the week:

Frankly, getting a hundred total wins shouldn't be hard as long as there is a constant stream of event missions. The issue is that the mission design is based around being completed with an unbalanced number of participants on one side or the other. As long as one side of the conflict stays in the majority, the mission will finish in however long it takes. If we have a high-value reward pop up, like with the Catalyst that started us off, then that mission ends really quick since more people are siding with one side, and less are "fighting against the current", shall we say.

Playing this event optimally should, in theory, involve getting as many good Battle Pay rewards while ending up with the side affiliation the player desires at the end. To do this, the keys should be to:

1. Use the missions that have worthwhile Battle rewards to acquire those rewards regardless of which side they're on.

2. Use the missions that have lackluster Battle rewards to farm for your 50% + 1 on your preferred faction. This is most important for those of you gunning for Corpus.

3. In a pinch, you can use the missions that have good Battle rewards on your non-preferred faction to farm for your 100 total runs, but remember to keep that 50% + 5 margin in favor of the good reward. This means you'll have to play an equal amount of Grineer and Corpus games past the first five qualifying runs.

Now, this will become extremely tedious if we in fact need something like X + 100 runs to qualify for Tier 3 rewards, instead of just a base majority. I have a feeling tables will be flipped if DE were to take this stance, so I'm betting on the system as we have it currently theorized. Thank goodness for reason. >_>

As an aside, concerning the implementation of the Brakk and Detron (as people have been talking about it), I think that the two are two different visual skins of a single weapon design. This theory would help to slightly rationalize DE's possible decision to scrap one of these two weapons as a result of this event, being that they'd lose less tangible art assets and spent man-hours upon such a decision. 

Edited by MiaovenWinter

so if i choose corpus and grineer win, i wont get a melee weapon at all?

OOPS, I omitted an example point under Tier 2 to explain this. Though honestly, I don't see how you could arrive at that conclusion just from reading Rebecca's post.

Quite simply, if you have 25 total mission completions by the end of the event, you will get one of the two melee weapons in your inventory. Which of the two you will receive will be determined by the faction victor of the event, and not by any other variable.

tbh. it would be stupid NOT to fight for the grineer atm.

grineer will win, thats for sure, so you will get the grineer stuff (if you support them you get the pistol with weapon slot + potatoed)

i prefeer the corpus weapons but they are impossible to get

This is great, glad somebody actually took the time to write this up. Good work! Maybe it could get pinned so it doesn't get buried in 5 minutes.

Well, for the moment, keeping it bumped is the best we can do. Honestly, it sucks that DE pushed this update so late in the evening that they couldn't spare Rebecca, Megan, or someone else to stay on hand to answer the inevitable hoard of questions. But that's them doing themselves a disservice, frankly.

Do i understand right that i will never be able to get a Detron (Corpus Gun) if overall the Grineer wins?

no matter if i won 100 games for corpus or for grineer

if thats true the choice is obvious join the winning side/best mission rewards i mean this would be extremely bad thought out.

Edited by zzang

I have seen many people getting confused over this event. Thank you for making a post that clarifies everything. I agree with TheSphynx that this should be pinned so it doesn't get lost in the depths of the forums.

Well, as I note clearly, this is just my opinion on the matter. The fact is we've only got Rebecca's first word and speculation to go on. I'm rather confident in my translation of Rebecca's post, and believe that any clarification DE makes will fall in line with my reasoning. However, DE might instead decide to change their language completely, and depending on when they do this, we might have to scramble to get all our S#&$ in order for the Tier 3 rewards.

Do i understand right that i will never be able to get a Detron (Corpus Gun) if the Grineer wins?

From my understanding, this is correct. D:

I'm also going to say in the OP that I believe the Detron and Brakk are simply visual skins of a unified weapon design, which could better explain why DE would discard assets over the result of an event. Now, this of course will bring up issues of Corpus weapon design if in fact the weapon is projectile-based, but I'm not going to worry about that one bit until we have hard facts in hand about these new weapons.

Tier 2:

● The reward for all qualified players will be determined by the faction victor of the event. However, your chosen preferred faction will not determine which reward you will receive.

Tier 3:

● If the Corpus win the event, players who sided with the Corpus will receive the Detron weapon supercharged and with a weapon slot; if you sided with the Grineer instead, you will receive a Detron blueprint for your Foundry.

● If the Grineer win the event, players who sided with the Grineer will receive the Brakk weapon supercharged and with a weapon slot; if you sided with the Corpus instead, you will receive a Brakk blueprint for your Foundry.

The reason why this event is bullS#&$...

The supporters of the losing side should get the Blueprint of the rewards from the losing side, not the winning side..

The supporters of the winning side should get premade Potatoed versions of their side's rewards with a free Weapon Slot.

Edited by Flackenstien

The supporters of the losing side should get the Blueprint of the rewards from the losing side, not the winning side..

The supporters of the winning side should get premade Potatoed versions of their side's rewards with a free Weapon Slot.

Honestly, I agree, and that's in fact how I read it at first. Once I realized this wasn't the case I was kinda disappointed.

I'm still going to sign with Corpus in the long run while I fish for rewards along the way. If Grineer wins, I'm not interested in the Brakk either way, and the Corpus event badge will immediately be rarer, so. :D

yep i want the corpus stuff, but everyone playing the grineer so not much hope for me

Yeah it's terribly unfair I don't want this grineer turd-weapon... No matter how much I play I will not get the things I want cause everyone playing grineer cause of two reasons:

- unfair Battle Pay differences,

- the way the tier 3 reward works most will want to get charged weapon with a slot even tho they would rather get corpus,

I hope this gets changed so we can actually choose and not being forced by the majority and the broken system... The best and easiest resolution would be as Flackenstien says and I hope it comes to that or I might have to think twice before upgrading to master >_<

I'd deal with just getting a BP and side with Corpus for lore reasons if I was going to get "THEIR" blueprint. But I just can't see a reason to punish myself to no effect the way it is set up now. Since so many people are siding with the Grineer already it becomes a "no brainer" to do the same thing, since we aren't choosing different rewards, just a good or bad version of the same reward.

It does take more than one read through but the explanation is pretty clear if taken at face value.

The only question I would raise about the event overall is connected to T1 and T3 where my personal contribution is involved in determining the reward.

"Tier 1 (5 missions) is a badge determined by who you did more missions for, irrespective of the overall game result. (Question: What if you do exactly the same number of missions for each?)

Tier 3 (100 missions) is a ranged weapon determined by who won the event overall.  If you supported the winner you get the weapon with free slot and potato, if not, you get BP. (Question: What if you do exactly the same number of missions for each?)"

I know that I did 10 Grineer missions this morning and 0 Corpus so this is pretty easy to track.  It'd be nice if DE could clarify the position (eg the deciding factor is whoever you supported on your last mission).

I want to know when or how the event ends. Does it end when every spot HA been fought over? Will it continue until the time scheduled ends? IndonMt know! I hope it's the latter because I have school and all that so I can't be doing 100 missions in a few days because people will rush through 90% of them before the weekend.

It does take more than one read through but the explanation is pretty clear if taken at face value.

The only question I would raise about the event overall is connected to T1 and T3 where my personal contribution is involved in determining the reward.

"Tier 1 (5 missions) is a badge determined by who you did more missions for, irrespective of the overall game result. (Question: What if you do exactly the same number of missions for each?)

Tier 3 (100 missions) is a ranged weapon determined by who won the event overall.  If you supported the winner you get the weapon with free slot and potato, if not, you get BP. (Question: What if you do exactly the same number of missions for each?)"

I know that I did 10 Grineer missions this morning and 0 Corpus so this is pretty easy to track.  It'd be nice if DE could clarify the position (eg the deciding factor is whoever you supported on your last mission).

Yeah, that's actually the one aspect of this reward system that isn't addressed at all by DE, so we will need some clarification.