Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe: The Lost Sector (Currently In Development)

PenutReaper

FOLLOW LOST SECTOR HERE: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/259700-8-bit-warframe-lost-sector/

THIS THREAD IS NO LONGER THE CURRENT LOST SECTOR THREAD

KAHgc6v.png

Hello there,

Recently, due after the events of this thread:
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/111254-penutreapers-free-stuff/#entry1288399

and this thread:
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/122353-8-bit-warframe/

I began programming a Retro style Warframe fan game. Currently there is a lot of work to be done, but I will try to update this thread with the game's progress. I would like to think of this as a community game, and as such, we will consider any contributions of any content at all from anyone here in the community, if you would like to make any contribution to the game, be it music, sound effects, graphics, etc. please feel free to PM me. If you would like to help with the story, I would PM AnonCat.

The "Main" Lost Sector Team:

Typhuus: Story/Graphics (Typhuus came up with the initial idea for the game)

PenutReaper: Programming/Level Design

AnonCat: Graphics/Story

AnonCat's Brother: Programming

The above people are regularly giving up their free time to work together to produce this game.

Special Mentions:

WingedSwine: He made the awesome logo you saw at the top of this post.

Mirbersc: Thanks for the awesome promo image you made.

Here is the last progress update:

Got some interesting things to show you that AnonCat made.

Basic Frost Idle:

QSGswIo.gif

Opening Locker:

MuB8PSs.gif

Older Updates.

Progress Update #1:

Progress Update #2.

http://youtu.be/_Xlaobob4-g

Progress Update #3.

Here is some very simple UI

aoCyU2J.png

Here is a short description of the game story taken from the post by Thyphuus:

Titled Warframe: the Lost Sector. The game would explore the events after the creation of the Tenno and how Hayden would have played his roll in their creation, as well as the birth of the Lotus. For the record I believe the Lotus is a byproduct of the Technocyte virus, she manifests and links those who are infected with Technocyte. this is why they can "hear" the infected at times. They become a hive mind of sorts, the only difference is Hayden's intervention in some way aloud these individuals to fight and control the virus. -Typhuus (Taken from his 8-bit Warframe thread)

And here is Thyphuus' concept of the finished game:

p4YDWAZ.png

Extra Information for people wishing to contribute to the game/join the team:

Just an extra note on any contributions people may wish to make:

-If you PM me with your contribution, I will read it, but be aware that my reply may be delayed.

-If your contribution has been accepted by me and the team, I will contact you to discuss it further.

-If your contribution has not been accepted, I will give the reason as to why this is so and give suggestions on how your suggestion may be improved/made more fitting for the game.

If you would like to join the team you should message me. The message should contain the following:

-The position you would like in the team.

-Examples of past work.

-What time zone you are in.

(Please be aware that the Time Zone you are in will not affect your ability to join the team.)

Hope you enjoy it,
PenutReaper

Edited by PenutReaper

Are you going to implement multiple warframes? Or is this like "Frost's Adventure"?

Nevertheless, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

No idea, I'm not behind the graphics, I would ask Typhuus.

I just wanted to get some basic things, like movement and the basic combat working.

Also, yes, the game will have animations.

Of note, it would be interesting to pull a megaman style thing: Each boss you defeat unlocks another warframe that can be used, now that you've saved it.(That's how WF works now anyway, but since we're thinking in 8-bit...)

Also, should probably include the glaive--the bouncing thing can be awkward, it might work best as an ultimate that fills off of a "rage gauge", appearing to bounce everywhere to hit everything on screen.

Of note, it would be interesting to pull a megaman style thing: Each boss you defeat unlocks another warframe that can be used, now that you've saved it.(That's how WF works now anyway, but since we're thinking in 8-bit...)

^

That would be awesome!

oh geeezz you guys are absolutely nuts <3

if its helps in the slightest here is the original image i made for the mockup, it has all the tiles

S3dXjQZ.png

If DE is ok with this project i am more then willing to make some more assets for this little project.

According to section 2.D of the EULA(how amusing):

You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:      modify, translate or create derivative works based on or utilizing the Software, Service or Software experience, or any portion thereof;

That's the legal thing.

On the other hand, they actively encourage fan artwork(they request it even!), so I imagine they might actually be okay with it, they just need to modify the EULA a bit(they actually break it quite often themselves).

However, it's also noteworthy that they like to include the phrase "without the express written consent of Digital Extremes" in the agreements(between the EULA and the ToS, it shows up around 1/2 dozen times), which means, for the most part, they're totally cool with just about anything, as long you ask them first.

So, if you haven't asked them yet, do it. They will likely give you the "express written consent", they love the fan made stuff. They might even toss a few more EWC clauses in where they clearly should exist.

Also, to be technical, from the ToS, section 5, they already own it by virtue of it being posted here:

The Service may include discussion forums, chat rooms, user feedback, messaging features, comments and other interactive areas or services ("Interactive Areas") in which you or other users create, post, send or store any content, messages, materials, data, information, text, music, sound, photos, video, graphics, code or other items or materials on or through the Website (the "User Content"). User Content posted to the Website is publicly available and not confidential and will become the sole property of Digital Extremes. DE strongly recommends that you not publish any personal information about yourself or others on or through the Website. In consideration of your use of the Service, you hereby transfer and assign to Digital Extremes all right, title and interest in and to the User Content you create, post, store or transmit on or through the Website, including all intellectual property rights therein, and Digital Extremes shall be entitled to the unrestricted use, dissemination and other exploitation of such User Content for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you.

So that's a "bit of sticky wicket".

Honestly, they need to rewrite the whole legal thing, their actual practices make a massive nightmare of interpreting it.

According to section 2.D of the EULA(how amusing):

You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:      modify, translate or create derivative works based on or utilizing the Software, Service or Software experience, or any portion thereof;

That's the legal thing.

On the other hand, they actively encourage fan artwork(they request it even!), so I imagine they might actually be okay with it, they just need to modify the EULA a bit(they actually break it quite often themselves).

However, it's also noteworthy that they like to include the phrase "without the express written consent of Digital Extremes" in the agreements(between the EULA and the ToS, it shows up around 1/2 dozen times), which means, for the most part, they're totally cool with just about anything, as long you ask them first.

So, if you haven't asked them yet, do it. They will likely give you the "express written consent", they love the fan made stuff. They might even toss a few more EWC clauses in where they clearly should exist.

Also, to be technical, from the ToS, section 5, they already own it by virtue of it being posted here:

The Service may include discussion forums, chat rooms, user feedback, messaging features, comments and other interactive areas or services ("Interactive Areas") in which you or other users create, post, send or store any content, messages, materials, data, information, text, music, sound, photos, video, graphics, code or other items or materials on or through the Website (the "User Content"). User Content posted to the Website is publicly available and not confidential and will become the sole property of Digital Extremes. DE strongly recommends that you not publish any personal information about yourself or others on or through the Website. In consideration of your use of the Service, you hereby transfer and assign to Digital Extremes all right, title and interest in and to the User Content you create, post, store or transmit on or through the Website, including all intellectual property rights therein, and Digital Extremes shall be entitled to the unrestricted use, dissemination and other exploitation of such User Content for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you.

So that's a "bit of sticky wicket".

Honestly, they need to rewrite the whole legal thing, their actual practices make a massive nightmare of interpreting it.

Thanks for that. I'll message someone at DE ASAP. ^^