Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Mechanics Customization

DarknightK

After playing through Remember Me, a melee-heavy game that specializes in customizable combos, I noticed that the main part of the game wasn't "How much Damage can I dish out", but rather "What Combos work for my playstyle, and allow me advantages over some enemies?"

Thus, I propose that the Melee COMBO system should be reworked by allowing player's to formulate their own Light and Heavy Combos in the game.

Accessing Your Combo List:

The Combo list can be found in the "Upgrade" Section of your selected Melee weapon.

Once your in, you can customize the Light and Heavy (normal and charge, respectively) attacks of your weapon with Movesets. Like Mod slots, these have the A, B, and C loadouts.

Movesets:

There are multiple Moveset types available to the player, here are some I've suggested below (add more if you have any ideas!).

Power: Power attacks are built for hard-hitting, damaging combos that deal bonus damage in relation to base damage

Speed: Speed attacks employ a faster hitting average, using less stamina than other attacks

Energy: Energy attacks use ~1-5% of a Warframe's total energy, resulting in devastating supernatural moves that are amplified if that weapon has a certain element to it

Style/Technique: Technique combos connect and flow movesets that allow for more evasiveness and chained attacks, leaving you scratch-less, and your enemies in awe.

Orokin: The Rare Orokin movesets have been hidden for centuries, only to be uncovered in the Orokin Vaults. These movesets use a balance of all four attack types for particularly interesting results.

Pure Builds: These types of Moveset builds use only one type of Moveset, which the player then gains a certain bonus attributed for using that combo.

Complementary Builds: These Moveset builds synergize with each other, which basically equates to using a multitude of movesets with each other.

I.e.:   [Power] -> [speed] -> [Power] -> [Technique] -> [Power] -> [speed]

This moveset will revolve mainly around power attacks, but will use Speed and Technique to quickly transition in and out of the heavy-hitting moves, as to not leave the player exposed for too long.

Moveset Slots:

Light and Heavy Moveset slots have their own separate combos as follow

Light Combo: 6 Slots

Heavy Combo: 3 Slots

Extra slots [May/May not] be acquired through complete mastery of the weapon, or maybe by using Forma? (Open to suggestions). Additionally, Moveset's could have infinite slots, but would be subject to a point system (like modding), with certain movesets like Power taking up more space than Technique or Speed.

With loadouts, players will be able to switch between their favorite combos, however they can only have ONE Light and Heavy attack combo per slot. Yes, this is pretty counter intuitive to the purpose of melee diversity, however since there is only one button for Melee, I don't see how this could be worked around.

Moveset Acquisition:

Like Mods, Movesets can be acquired through enemy drops. Orokin Movesets can only be acquired through the Corrupted.

The fusion of Movesets, like Mods, can increase that Moveset's properties. A Power Moveset at level 1 would do about +5% extra damage, while a level 5 Power Moveset would equate around 25%.

Moveset Variations:

Each type of Weapon (Longsword, Fists, Daggers, Dual, Hammers, Polearms), have their own special animations and properties with certain movesets that set them apart from other weapons with similar Movesets.

I.e.

A Longsword with an Energy Heavy Combo finisher will propel their longsword straight at wherever the player's reticule is aiming at, and will then force-pull the sword back to them.

A Polearm (Lets say Orthos), with a Technique Heavy Combo finisher will flip forward while spinning their Polearm around them, hitting any enemies in a 360 degree radius.

A Fist (Furax, Ankyros) weapon's Power Heavy finisher will grab an enemy by the throat and apply 3 punches to their chubbler faces before delivering a ringout punch that knocks them a fair distance away.

Those are examples not only for variation, but for what each type of Moveset ALONE can do to an enemy.

Endings:

My idea's never get looked at ;A;

Make me famous, and sorry for no pictures, I lack a tablet, and I'm sure you wouldn't want MSPaint poop doodles along with a wall of text.

tl;dr version:  Melee is bland, Movesets add some salt, pepper, basil, and oregano to spice it up (and Tabasco).

Edited by DarknightK

No. That would make melee FAR to complex for Warframe. I checked some reviews on Remember Me, and all of them complained about the sheer complexity of the melee system, and how the animations for every attack just didn't flow properly. I don't want that in Warframe.

The melee system is going to get a bit of a work anyway to link charge attacks, and charge and lights together

No. That would make melee FAR to complex for Warframe. I checked some reviews on Remember Me, and all of them complained about the sheer complexity of the melee system, and how the animations for every attack just didn't flow properly. I don't want that in Warframe.

The melee system is going to get a bit of a work anyway to link charge attacks, and charge and lights together

I honestly thought Remeber Me's melee system was pretty useful, even though I didn't use ALL the combos offered, I still had some variety. Although I can see where many people didn't like the combo system's inability to flow together.

And I took the upcoming melee system change into consideration as well, although even with it, there's no real variety in melee besides going for the 9k damage. Which I suppose, is all that the majority of players are going for right now.

What if Movesets were unlocked from the very beginning? With Orokin movesets being Rare finds from vaults or such?

Additionally, Movesets could be purely optional, with non-moveset weapons doing the usual (U11 Melee) animations instead.

However, I didn't know Light and Heavy attacks are to be chained together, I thought it only added extra heavy attacks to the charged combos.

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

But still, I stand firm with my opinion.

I honestly thought Remeber Me's melee system was pretty useful, even though I didn't use ALL the combos offered, I still had some variety. Although I can see where many people didn't like the combo system's inability to flow together.

And I took the upcoming melee system change into consideration as well, although even with it, there's no real variety in melee besides going for the 9k damage. Which I suppose, is all that the majority of players are going for right now.

What if Movesets were unlocked from the very beginning? With Orokin movesets being Rare finds from vaults or such?

Additionally, Movesets could be purely optional, with non-moveset weapons doing the usual (U11 Melee) animations instead.

However, I didn't know Light and Heavy attacks are to be chained together, I thought it only added extra heavy attacks to the charged combos.

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

But still, I stand firm with my opinion.

The issue isn't the combos, is the sheer amount people can make. Some people can't cope with having so many options open to them and prefer simpler gameplay, where others love it.

The other issue is the animations, they would be terrible. None of them would flow or link to each other, as there would just be faaaaaaaar to many to make.

They are working on charge chains first, then I assume they will get to work on chaining light and charge (which is why charges are getting chains, to start working on linking the two)

I kind of see what your getting at.

Maybe limiting the combos to 3-4 would reduce complexity?

I guess I'm just one of the people who like complexity in games. The uniqueness with this could prevent people from going all like "Lol Melee is boring AND useless". As well as giving people more incentive to melee.

I'm working based off speculation of the new melee system, and I actually prefer this system to the new one, maybe as an upgrade later on in the game's development?

But I see your points here, the animations would probably have to have some sort of formula to them to prevent them from being too choppy, because there would be no way that one could write script code for ALL those choices of attacks.

Or, one could program a common stance that players return to after melee, to help smooth out the animation.

I guess it's all speculation until U11 gets released, I may change my opinions on the melee system then.

Neat. I honestly dont like the combo system they want to add because it sounds like it'll feel clunky but this is alright and not too complex. it would take a lot of animations though, but the animation team has a lot of potential and talent in movie-style animating.

Edited by sewens

• 4 weeks later...

Melee should feel like a fluid, ever-moving system that's quick and easy to get around with. My favorite thing to do, and you should try it once, is this:

1. Orthos prime or a quick-attacking weapon of your choice with a fury, reach, some damage mods, AND(this is needed) a maxed second wind(The stamina restoration mod)

2. A fast warframe(Or a slow one with Rush) equiped with Quick rest and Marathon. I prefer ember for the overheat or Loki for the invisibility spam.

This is just for fun, and I don't actually use it on high-rank runs like, say, defenses or survivals I'm planning on pushing past the 15-20 mark. The fun of this build is running around, sliding into enemies with a spin-attack and just cutting them up like a blender. It works with any weapon on low to mid level enemies if you're correctly modded. And the fun of it is that you just don't stop moving, and you're always in something's face. Now if I could just do this at higher levels and still be useful... that's all I want. An up-in-your-face, fast paced melee system that can get you out of trouble in a pinch, or into a group of still-attached body parts.

at first, people thought it was going to be awesome.

the problem is that the devs made it horrible and boring, especially because the combat was boring.

i have hope that DE can make a system like that right.

1+