Photo

[Explained] Damage 2.0 Builds, With Cheatsheets!

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#1 _Aahz

_Aahz

Initiate

• Disciple
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Okay, first and most important thing to realize:

• Do NOT compare the new damage system to old damage system. It is completely different and you're just going to confuse yourself trying to somehow translate new mechanics into the old stuff.

Scott/Grineeer tried to explain it in the livestreams, and DERebecca tried to explain more in the forum, but the great majority of people who logged into U11 were completely confused. So start from scratch, forget the old damage/enemy/weapon system, and realize everything is going to be okay. Now onto some explanations... (btw, TL:DR, pics at the bottom to tell you how to build your weapons, if you don't care about the mechanics).

MblYCuA.png

Info in next spoiler is outdated according to 11.3.2/11.3.3 update. There is currently no rational explanation, or simple way of explaining, damage 2.0 according to Update 11.3.x. Check back later when they've settled on... idk... whatever they're trying to do.

Spoiler

Elemental Damage
There are 10 possible elemental types, but that doesn't mean you should use all of them at once. Just like with the physical damage types, some elemental types are more useful on certain weapons than others. Here's a quick overview of what they are and how they combine:
uqSxITt.png
Well, if you played with the old damage system, you know Corpus shields are weak against Cold, and they can be stunned by Electricity if they don't have shields up. Infested have resistance to electricity, but are particularly weak to Heat. Grineer are really tough, but Corrosive causes heavy damage to their thick armor, leaving the exposed flesh open to Heat, Viral, and Blast damage.

The number one rule with Damage 2.0 is:

• Use the right tool for the job, and compliment your weapon's base stats.

Learn to think of your weapons as anti-Corpus, anti-Grineer, or anti-Infested. When you start viewing it like that, it becomes completely obvious that you need to use an elemental that Corpus are weak against on your anti-Corpus weapon. If you've got a high puncture weapon, you're going to want the Corrosive element as well, because that's what Grineer are weak against.  A heavy impact weapon? That's great for Corpus, so add on some Magnetic element. Slash weapons are particularly useful for... you guessed it, Infested! Simply add some Heat and Blast damage and go eradicate some Infested areas of the galaxy.

The primary elementals are fairly straightforward, but I also like to divide the combined elementals into 2 categories:
Utility

• Blast - Stun/knockdown
  • Gas - Poison AoE
  • Radiation - Confusion and slowed fire rate/reduced accuracy

Direct

• Magnetic - Shield reduction
  • Viral - Health reduction
  • Corrosive - Armor reduction/removal

Utility is most useful as a secondary effect, on top of a primary effect you've given your weapon. For example, Embolist already defaults to Toxin damage (a primary), and it's really nice to have Blast (secondary from fire and ice) on top of that to keep things locked down.

Spoiler

Hopefully that explains most of what DE Scott intended, and it really is an elegant design for weapons and enemies, once the kinks are worked out and it's explained to players better in-game. Any more questions?

Updates:

• DE_Steve has suggested Radiation against Grineer, and testing it out with Synapse shows little penetration through Armor, but to non-armored Grineer health it's fairly effective. (Although in-game codex states no weakness)
  • Added FAQ below based on questions in this thread.
  • Updated information further based on testing and feedback (Thanks to: Phoenix86, NegimaSonic, MeduSalem)
  • Updated according to U11.3.3, I guess.  Hugely controversial update to Damage 2.0, which... dunno... I can't think of any way to explain it in its current state, sorry guys.  Updated the cheat sheet at the top at least.

FAQ Follow-up Questions

Spoiler

Edited by _Aahz, 15 December 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#2 KIll3RX15

KIll3RX15

Hunter

• Hunter
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Well Thankyou for this ;)

#3 Jin_Kazama

Jin_Kazama

Gold Disciple

• Hunter
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

I Love you

#4 PsychedelicSnake

PsychedelicSnake

Tiger

• Master
  • 5483 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Pin this.

Edited by PsychedelicSnake, 21 November 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#5 revizion

revizion

Gold Novice

• Master
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thank, You.

#6 bejuizb

bejuizb

Middle Master

• PC Member
  • 2847 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Holy crap.....You're a god!

#7 CelsiusPrime

CelsiusPrime

Gold Hunter

• Master
  • 1037 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

that was really helpful. thanks!

#8 Blazer-X

Blazer-X

Seeker

• Master
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Thank you very much!

I do have a few questions I want to just confirm while I'm here:

1) From what I have gathered, there is no more "armor ignoring" damage types in the new Damage 2.0. Is this true?

2) Do bullet type damage not work on Pure Elemental weapons (Ignis, Synpase, etc.) or was that a UI thing?

3) Follow up to 2, if it indeed no longer works: What do you suggest as builds for those pure elemental weapons that are not toxin element? 

#9 xoxcloudxox

xoxcloudxox

Gold Hunter

• PC Member
  • 1640 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Very nice guide i will build my weapons with your wonderful teachings in my mind :)

#10 DeusX

DeusX

Initiate

• PC Member
  • 15 posts

nice guide

#11 IndigoChild25

IndigoChild25

Initiate

• Hunter
  • 6 posts

Not bad for a first post :)

Really helpful, thanks a lot!

#12 Aure7

Aure7

Gold Hunter

• PC Member
  • 1358 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

But I thought they said that each enemy will have it's own various resistances. 

Also how does status chance work? Does it allow for every damage type that the weapon has to hit special effects? Like for example most weapons will be able to deal impact, slash and puncture status effects at the same time? With addition of let's say heat status effect if I add heat damage?

#13 Ceres666

Ceres666

Gold Disciple

• PC Member
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

+1!!!!!!!!!!!

Outstanding, many thanks for this!!!

#14 Ironkin

Ironkin

Silver Initiate

• Hunter
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

A really helpful Thread, thank you very much. I suggest this gets pinned so new players can find this information quickly.

#15 Shin_Ein

Shin_Ein

Silver Novice

• Grand Master
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Weird how this just totally went over people's heads. It really isn't that hard to comprehend. Really good explanation. This should be pinned to avoid the excess number of topics popping up in regards to Damage 2.0.

#16 DigitalHarbinger223

DigitalHarbinger223

Silver Initiate

• PC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

SO now unlike Damage 1.0, Elemntal damage actually affects your weapon's damage abiltiy. How do we fit all of this in just 8 slots?

For example, I have a Soma (potato'ed) with this set up:

Split Chamber

vital Sense

Serration

Wild Fire

Piercing Hit

Point Strike

Speed Trigger

If I were to change it int a Damage 2.0 build, how would I do it How do I fit mods to improve Slash and Puncture and Status along with Elemental mods, while keeping Speed Trigger and other crit mods?

#17 Blatantfool

Blatantfool

Dragon

• Community Moderator
  • 8394 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Very good.

#18 Karzak

Karzak

Gold Novice

• Master
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for doing DE's job!

You should get payed lots of plat for this!

#19 Apostus

Apostus

Novice

• Master
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thank you! Good post and really appriciate it!

#20 SortaRandom

SortaRandom

Gold Eagle

• PC Member
  • 4190 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ooh, lovely!

May I ask, how did you isolate the Poison on your Embolist? It always takes first priority for combinations on my other Poison-only weapons.