Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Freelancer27's Player-Based Stalkers

Freelancer27

As told on the title, this idea isn't new, but there are some players who figured to make reasons how to be a Stalker yourself. So I figured that I could write down ideas of my own in the Stalker business.

How to be a Stalker:

Well, the idea is simple, you will be a Stalker who hunts down other Tennos, right?

Problem is, how does a Tenno become a Stalker from the first place?

My theory relies on the Orokin lore, where a Tenno will find himself under the corrupt influence of the Void. Utilized by either a strong but negative Orokin force that warps the mind of the Tenno to follow order to kill his own kind.

This Tenno will be ordered by the Void, and not the Lotus. As a result. Having that dark voice speaking to you who to kill and vaporize.

Now, where to find this corruption? Well, it simply goes to the "edge" of the Void, this requires exceeding luck for the Tenno in using T3 keys. Every key used will have a chance of 0.1%, in order for the Tenno to warp to a corruption tower.

This tower will force down the Tenno in challenging tests, similar to those of Mastery Tests. About 3 is given. Once that player passes those tests, they will choose either to receive a reward, powerful mods and/or Prime components or a greater prize of power, which will lead that player to the corruption.

Now, what to do when you are corrupted? There will still be missions for this Stalker, regular but harder missions, which is why the tests previously mentioned are required. Think of this corrupted state as an end-game state for the powerful players.

These missions are actually cut into two sections, either they will do hardcore regular missions or kill players in their own missions. The Void will direct this Stalker to a random target from the mission the player selected, a random player from a random cell. Most of the mechanics of this Stalker is written below this paragraph.

The Kill mission begins at the near end of a map. The stalker is armed accordingly with the player's choices, with sentinel. The Stalker will have a damage resistance of 50% from players, as a result of the power from the Orokin tests. The issue with this mission is that you must find and kill your target, almost like a hide-and-seek play.

The mission will fail:

1. If the victim manages to finish the mission too soon, by escaping the map.

2. If the victim and his/her teammates OR faction enemies managed to maim you.

3. If the victim fails the mission. (Well, tough luck.)

Once this player Stalker has managed to kill their target will receive three times the bounty of the mission selected with greater item reward chances, simple as that.

The hardcore missions will increase the difficulty of the players by 1.5x, not much of a surprise. Problem is, there won't be Deception and Rescue but are replaced entirely with Kill missions, or simply anything that is involved in the Tenno council will not be available. Survival, Extermination, Sabotage and Assassination are still available since its still killing people.

Stalkers can still visit the Orokin Void for raiding normally. For the Clan Dojo, unfortunately, they will leave their original clans automatically and have their own, since they will kill their clanmates anyway if they stayed.

That's all I thought of the Stalker players. Just stack it up with the rest of the Stalker-based ideas.

I like it. You sir/madam are very creative. Though to actively seek that low chance of the Corruption Tower would be a pain, the 'rewards' would likely be very high in return. I know you outlined a basis of how you recieve better rewards and all, but still. As it develops, mayhaps the rewards for hunting down a unwary Lotus-affiliated Tenno could also depend on the power behind their loadouts and mod choices, as well as a bit of bump if they're in a high-powered cell.

All in all, the simplicity is very attracting, the ever present desire for more power and wealth can exist in anyone, including the Tenno.

I like it, very creative...BUT.. if it's going to be an end-game for more advanced/powerful players, there needs to be an alternative for players who want an end-game...but don't want to hunt their fellow Tenno.

Like choosing between Jedi Master and Sith Lord(terrible correlation I know lol) 

The idea is good but becoming a stalker for the rest of the game would be dull.. Lets say you become a stalker, until you're beaten by the players you try to kill.. This could make it very different, and also the chance of becoming one should be just a little higher. 

People wouldn't just want to get to the corrupting void tower once only, they would want to go there often to get their stalker status back. It would give more reasons to play: You want to become a stalker (maybe again), and you would try actually your best to keep your stalker status.. Getting downed("killed") and cleansed by the other players. I'd like this amount of challenge and it would have a grindish feel about it, like Warframe is mostly grinding.

After writing this I got an idea: what if you get the Stalker Warframe, which has its own skills and everything.. Just that its PK only and it will break once failed a "mission".

Edited by W-Zero

The idea is good but becoming a stalker for the rest of the game would be dull.. Lets say you become a stalker, until you're beaten by the players you try to kill.. This could make it very different, and also the chance of becoming one should be just a little higher. 

People wouldn't just want to get to the corrupting void tower once only, they would want to go there often to get their stalker status back. It would give more reasons to play: You want to become a stalker (maybe again), and you would try actually your best to keep your stalker status.. Getting downed("killed") and cleansed by the other players. I'd like this amount of challenge and it would have a grindish feel about it, like Warframe is mostly grinding.

After writing this I got an idea: what if you get the Stalker Warframe, which has its own skills and everything.. Just that its PK only and it will break once failed a "mission".

It's actually kinda weird when you put it "you become stalker by just wearing it" kind of idea, since that is what I'm thinking over your response.

The tricky bit here is that this feature is supposedly an End-game situation, when you become too powerful that you ended up fighting against your own kind. You can actually fight your own kind in the Conclaves, but in a ruthless manner is done by those who would prefer a challenge, which is why I was thinking of the 0.1% chance of getting into that test before attempting to do so.

The "You can go back as Tenno" thing is not really probable in the Lore, once you get corrupted, you'll never go back. But I am still thinking about this.

I would like to be the Stalker, but i see a problem, if i am the Stalker i can´t play with my friends and clanmates anymore. Beeing the Stalker would isolate me to a forced solo player. I think it would be better to have special alert missions or keys that i only can use if i have been transformed to a Stalker. Something like Dr. Jackil (my normal Tenno ego) and Mr. Hide (my dark Stalker ego).

That is a great idea. But there are some flaws.

1: What if a t3 key is used with four players? Do all go to the tests or what?

2. What if you get corrupted, and then regret it? Like you wanna do regular missions again?

Other then those I think it is a great idea to make players be able to be the Stalker, I personally want to attack my buddy as the Stalker :)

Edited by Sadroth

That is a great idea. But there are some flaws.

1: What if a t3 key is used with four players? Do all go to the tests or what?

2. What if you get corrupted, and then regret it? Like you wanna do regular missions again?

Other then those I think it is a great idea to make players be able to be the Stalker, I personally want to attack my buddy as the Stalker :)

Which is why I said it is just a suggestion. But come to think of it, I do thought the first one:

1. Either 0.1% would pull them all in separate missions or all would go on a single throughout-test (mentioned on OP.)

2. I thought of the Stalker-status as an End-game scenario, but I think DE could decide on this.

i rather like this idea though the whole 0.1% chance thing is preposterous. 0.1% means that one out of one thousand (1/1000) T3 keys would be viable. while i understand that it would be a great privilege to become the stalker, most players would never even get the chance, let alone have the skills to face these challenges, and this would add to the already insurmountable RNG grind involved in Warframe.

i rather like this idea though the whole 0.1% chance thing is preposterous. 0.1% means that one out of one thousand (1/1000) T3 keys would be viable. while i understand that it would be a great privilege to become the stalker, most players would never even get the chance, let alone have the skills to face these challenges, and this would add to the already insurmountable RNG grind involved in Warframe.

I never agreed that 0.1% would be accounted for, but the circumstances of having more stalkers than regular players isn't actually a good thing, IMO.

It's actually kinda weird when you put it "you become stalker by just wearing it" kind of idea, since that is what I'm thinking over your response.

The tricky bit here is that this feature is supposedly an End-game situation, when you become too powerful that you ended up fighting against your own kind. You can actually fight your own kind in the Conclaves, but in a ruthless manner is done by those who would prefer a challenge, which is why I was thinking of the 0.1% chance of getting into that test before attempting to do so.

The "You can go back as Tenno" thing is not really probable in the Lore, once you get corrupted, you'll never go back. But I am still thinking about this.

Yeah you're right, but the tenno don't get turned into infested on constant contact with the technocyte(their armor material), so it's not that far fetched if they could be cleansed from the corruption of the void by somehow mini-mobile defense insertage of Lotus into the frame, perhaps some kind of syringe and helmet transmission recalibration or something?

To be honest the Stalker frame would just be the easy way out, storywise. "Hey here's an op frame which breaks." I agree, it wouldn't be as good.

Edited by W-Zero

Idea seems cool... but I feel there is something off about getting someone from endgame skill and gear and giving him/her the task to murder... well, people not on endgame skill/gear. I mean, even o 4v1 scenarios, stalker is immune to most tenno powers (they are gonna be immune to debuffs, right?) and is guaranteed to deal tons of damage. His targets, not necessarily.

That aside, if this idea were to take form, will we get to pick the reason we'll give the victim for why we want them dead ("The blood of the Mining Machine is in your hands..."), or it will be determined by the Void (a.k.a.:RNG gods)?

I like. But here's something that might help with it all concerning new lore. Increase the chance of getting to the corrupted tower, you complete the mission and a test at the end to get not a bp for a piece by a component already built for the frame. This frame has no powers compatable with it when equiped once built until you take it on a corrupted tower mission. Here give them the three tests but then a special assassination, their first blood if you will. You are sent in as the stalker with this as yet unranked frame against someone using an unranked from somewhere in mercury. If you kill the target you get to keep the frame, however if you are killed it disassembles and looses one component. Every time you lose this final test you need to get the last part, build it, and do the final tests again. Note: this would only be if killed by the final Assassination target at the end. Once you have passed you get a warframe that one: the appearance is dictated by your skin and helmet; two: a unique sentinel that uses dispel for you along with a few nice hunter style powers; three: a unique version of the weapons your brought on the final mission that you get to name; and finally, you get a stalker frame, a frame that can use the ability mods of any other frame in any combination.

Do this and I think with a bit of balancing DE could actually consider it for end-game. You would need to have this scenario mastery locked so a new player couldn't get end game a the beginning but it has potential

• 2 weeks later...

I think the choice should be to become a stalker or become one who punishes stalker players. So you'd pop into their game recieve a 70% damage reduction from everyone but your target, and be immune to their cc and you'd smite them. You're also using whatever frame you want, but your damage is reduced. The rewards would be less but you're taking the moral high ground so you get a cool skin or awesome stance.

This sounds a lot like Dark Souls.