Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Fanfiction) Chronicles Of The Tenno - What Do We Seek?

Gibblemung

The dropship landed delicately near the forest, a struggling scrub reaching desperately to reclaim the abandoned industrial wasteland. Skies of deep amber blew wisps of blue clouds past in the upper atmospheric turbulence, propagating downward to a gentle breeze at ground level, barely sufficient to disturb the dusty, crumbling complexes.

She stepped forth, a ranking warrior with peerless mental fortitude, at ease in the empty foundries and rusting offices. Her exosuit's boots crunched disintegrating remnants of a window, as her gloved arms came up to touch the releases, unsealing her helmet. A deep breath took in the atmosphere as she tucked it beneath her arm, silvery eyes surveying the forest under their own power.

His arrival was less graceful and more powerful, a boot punching straight through the landing site, grinding the formed, decaying surface to powder. A sudden jerk ripped the boot back to the surface, spraying shards across the cracking grey-top and spattering some of the nearby advance plants. What purpose do we have here? He intoned, the external vocal modulator booming at combat loudness and sending a few small fliers darting deeper into the forest.

Have you ever asked yourself what the research we bring back truly is? She offered, raising her hand to brush the edge of his pauldron. A slight clank of metal on metal accompanied the delicate touch.

Modulating his tone to more of a conversational level, he sighed, a soft growl of static echoing across the ruined plain. Why should I? We fight, we survive, we complete our tasks. Isn't that enough? Why should warriors care what we produce, other than death for our enemies?

Her grip tightened upon his shoulder, enhanced muscles nearly pulling him to the side as her face twisted with disapproval. I used to think that. Take off your helmet. I have a reward for you.

I trust you. He growled again, reaching up to unhook his helmet. As his own face was revealed, the expression was a scowl, frustration at his own lack of understanding of the purpose here and her intent.

You should. She reminded him. We have been through much together. Which is why I want you to have this, first. A gloved hand slipped into one of her belt pouches, withdrawing a small white orb. It was lifted quickly, then shoved into his mouth before he could protest.

Mrph! What the yerg- He paused, as the flavor hit him, golden eyes widening. Mentally, he powered through lists of supplements, foodstuffs, and industrial supplies, ignoring the lists of poisons. He failed to find a match. All right, what is this? Besides tasty?

Her eyes remained on his face, watching the interplay as she withdrew one of her own, popping it into her jaws and sucking lightly. Mint. They're classifying it as a supplement, due to its mental capacity boosting, but it was a treat and an immunity booster for far longer.

Thoughtfully sucking, he rolled it within his mouth, lifting a gauntlet and typing through several projected menus with the other hand. This is what you brought me here for? A candy?

Supplement. She corrected, grinning.

It was extinct. He argued, eyes narrowing as he reached his goal in the menus.

It was. We found its genetic sequence and resurrected it with the research that you and I brought back. There were thousands of other plants, but this one showed the most promise. Decades of research will bring back all the others, but I asked this to be first and expedited for consumption. Her expression was mostly unreadable, but the tone held triumph.

His eyes remained narrowed, though he slowly looked from the projections to the forest, lowering his arms to his sides. Why?

You have priority access to the research council's agenda as well, if you would just read the textmails they send you. She argued, still sucking upon her treat.

You didn't answer me. The armor-bound monster protested, folding his suited arms.

Because... you needed hope. You needed to know why we fight, and what we wish to restore. You needed to see for yourself that reclamation happens. And take a break to enjoy something tasty. I forwarded a box to your quarters. As a top tier agent, we get some perks like free samples of the newest supplements. She turned, heading back to the ship and snapping her helmet back on.

He lingered, staring at the forest and savoring the fruits of their reclamation, the resurrection of an ancient species and the triumph it represented... before slamming his helmet on and returning to the ship, intent on proving his learning to her and possibly returning the favor. Maybe that ancient thorn plant he'd heard of that drinks were made from, with flowers symbolizing devotion and friendship... perhaps that could be next. What was it called, again? A rose?

Edited by Gibblemung

I intend to keep writing, yes. I consider my fiction a little taste of how the Tenno interact outside of cell or strike-team battles. How do they think? Why do they fight? What are their goals, other than immediate survival? The game itself doesn't need to answer most of these questions, which leaves us, the players, to mentally dissect the universe in which they live. And thus, fanfiction.