Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Dread As Dreadfully Bad As People Say Now?

Silver_Fox75

Yesterday after an encounter with the god of deat....... oops i mean stalker, he happened to drop me a dread blueprint. Seeing as though i didn't currently have a bow i figured i'd build it and I'd like to know what i should expect. I know it deals mostly slash damage and has a high crit chance/damage. But is it worth a potato like people say Pre damage 2.0?

My only issue with Dread is that its slashing damage is really only amazing against infested, which don't really need one-hit weapons to be properly dealt with. It's not that Dread is bad; it's just irrelevant. In super late game it's not gonna take out those Grineer/Corpus Heavies, which is what you want a sniping weapon to do.

Better crit damage than the Paris Prime, and a damage type that's effective against Grineer and very effective against Infested.

If you want to kill Corpus with it, then that's perfectly fine. Just mod it for magnetism and you're good to go. The huge crit damage advantage over other bows will make up for its shortcomings in physical damage type, easily. Don't forget that supereffective elementals scale from it too.

Better crit damage than the Paris Prime, and a damage type that's effective against Grineer and very effective against Infested.

The better crit damage meant little in Damage 1.0 because Dread didn't ignore armor like Paris Prime, and it doesn't even exist in Damage 2.0; they have the same crit damage bonus now.

Its damage type is effective against *light* grineer while the Paris Prime tends to be effective against all grineer. Also as of right now, bows are an inferior weapon against infested because of their slow nature.

I use the dread when playing Nova.

Clear the little fellows with the side arm, see ancients, MPrime them then put an arrow into their knee.

Beautiful (and no, I am NOT talking about the explosions, its the numbers).

Edited by fatpig84

Bows in general are largely irrelevant to gameplay.  They have all of the physics problems inherent to real life bows (you have to lead a target, the arrow has travel time, etc.) but absolutely no bonus that makes up for the shortcomings.  Yes, you can use Thunderbolt and do a little bit of splash damage, which mostly only tickles anything but light infested and not even them at high levels.  That is gimmicky.  A good sniper rifle, such as Vectis, is now the clear winner in single target damage.  Nothing compares.

If you're in a real mission as designed, odds are that you have far too many targets to shoot at and the bows are all too slow to effectively replace any rifles.  Punch through doesn't get you there either.  There really should be a major reason to use a bow over a sniper rifle, even if no technical reason for such a scenario exists with real life technology or they will always be relegated to looking pretty on your back and your sidearm or melee is perpetually in your hand.  Leading a target from a long distance out is an actual challenge and that challenge should be rewarded somehow in the gameplay.

Edited by Mal-content

I think that the Bad that a lot of people have been talking about comes down to:

My Uber (fill in weapon here) is no longer insta-gibbing EVERYTHING! Whine Whine Whine...

Should DE have implemented the system 2.0 as is? I wouldn't have.

But the Dread Bow is a wonderful bow; it just isn't: OMNI-BOW-OF-UBER-LEET-DOOM-TO-ALL-MERE-MORTALS

Truly I wonder at DE's implementation of The Impact/Puncture/Slash mechanics.

Why doesn't Slash shred Ligh Grineer and Infested AND Corpus Suits?

I get not the Robots, but Those techs really aught to have the body take FULL slash dmg; it's only a suit after-all not armor.

Well i have a potato laying around, is it worth one?

Yes it is, if you like bows and like to snipe. but if you want to be the best sniper you could be regardless of the weapon, then the answer is no, get the vectis and throw it the potato.

With my potatoed dread and his two base polarities I'm criting for 35k vs grineer, and it's far from being maxed (without split chamber). In T3 the crits are about the same because you probably would have some buff like roar o mprime, and it's enough to one shot heavies in the last wave.

just in case

k78z.png

Yes it is, if you like bows and like to snipe. but if you want to be the best sniper you could be regardless of the weapon, then the answer is no, get the vectis and throw it the potato.

With my potatoed dread and his two base polarities I'm criting for 35k vs grineer, and it's far from being maxed (without split chamber). In T3 the crits are about the same because you probably would have some buff like roar o mprime, and it's enough to one shot heavies in the last wave.

just in case

k78z.png

I have a strong feeling that these super high crits we keep seeing are a bug in the damage system.