Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Not Just Another Nerf Nova Thread

LukeAura

tl;dr Let's find a compromise. I'm not picking a side in this. 

So after reading the latest string of "Nova is Op" threads for the hundredth time I've grown impatient and frustrated enough to try a different tactic. DE has already confirmed they will be looking over Nova, and we as a community are still arguing whether or not she, or more specifically Molecular Prime, is overpowered. 
It's long past the time for such arguments and silly notions of right or wrong, true or false. We as a community need to come to an agreement, how much are we willing to see lost from Molecular Prime. 
So I am proposing a few questions to people, feel free to answer either of them. Be respectful and mindful of other people's opinions. Do not comment on whether or not you think the nerf is justified or if you think Nova is overpowered. There are umpteen other threads for that. Don't try and rework the ability entirely though in your ideas. 

Questions; 
1) What would be the bottom line before Molecular Prime became too weak? Where do we say, that is too much of a nerf? The bare minimum of use for it. 
2) How much should it lose? What components of it people would be willing to weaken or remove in order to satisfy the community? Note the wording, satisfy the community. Do not comment how much will make it 'not overpowered'. But how much you think it will need to lose so that no one is saying it's overpowered.

1) What would be the bottom line before Molecular Prime became too weak? Where do we say, that is too much of a nerf? The bare minimum of use for it.

Reduce priming range by 20%, reduce speed debuff to 25-35%. Reduce Prime duration to 20/30 seconds. Make Prime affected by +/- duration mods. Make prime a 'power in use' power ala chaos to prevent spamming.

That's pretty much the lowest it can go before she starts failing to do her job.

2) How much should it lose? What components of it people would be willing to weaken or remove in order to satisfy the community? Note the wording, satisfy the community. Do not comment how much will make it 'not overpowered'. But how much you think it will need to lose so that no one is saying it's overpowered.

Given what the nerfducks have said in the past, I don't think they'll be satisfied with anything that doesn't turn M-Prime into the new pre 2.0 crush. To prevent normal people from calling her OP, I think she'll need to lose all her nuking ability, because that's what people usually focus on.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

Leave the nova alone. This is seriously getting annoying seeing Nova threads when Valkyr is the one that needs the most attention atm.

so true

valkyre needs some attention she is so incredible underpowered that i dont even care a tad bit for nova

The lack of constructive comments in this topic is painful. Say something useful, or get the hell out.

OT- The debuff that is part of M Prime needs to stay. If it loses it's nuking ability, Nova still hasAntimatter Drop, but the mass debuffing is a good thing. The other buff/debuff skills are hit and miss (e.g.- Roar is great, Terrify less so), so I don't want us to lose one that's actually useful.

Edited by XanaSkullpulper

think of it like this , if de nerf nova nd make her horrible . i wonder how anyone will be able to do any high lvl def or survival witout nova keeping the field clear... at the end of the day everygame needs a nuke.. also de buff the enemy but not the frames or weaps, they gave us ember prime cuz reg ember was trash beyond compare , now we have valkyr they gonna buff her slightly then prime her obviously ..... nova nd rhino is best frames in warframe if u nerf nova u have 2 nerf rhino jus makes sence ................NOVA NERF MEANS NOMORE T3 OR LVL 140 ENEMY GETTIN KILLED . mission failed

I have to say that even though I personally dont use a Nova frame,

and there for can not actually say anything detailed about her abilities,

I absolutely love it when I get a Nova in my team.

There are just one things I dont like about her, and that is the major

slow effect on the enemies. This is just a personal view however, and

Im only really botherd with it as I play my Vortex Vauban. It just takes to

long on high level mobs before they get sucked in if they dont get oneshot

by her, and the waves starts to take forever to finish with a lot of

unessesary running around as a result. (We Vaubans dont like running

around, hehehe)

This isnt the case when I use my Rhino however. Nova and Rhino is one

"Hek" of a good combo!

No, I think we allways will have "Nerf Cryers" no matter what happens to

any of our frames. Id say Nova is just fine. Parehaps even one of the few

frames actually suited to this new dmg 2.0 thing.

If something should be done, its giving other frames a little more love.

Regards,

Stormfinnare.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that even though I personally dont use a Nova frame,

and there for can not actually say anything detailed about her abilities,

I absolutely love it when I get a Nova in my team.

There are just one things I dont like about her, and that is the major

slow effect on the enemies. This is just a personal view however, and

Im only really botherd with it as I play my Vortex Vauban. It just takes to

long on high level mobs before they get sucked in if they dont get oneshot

by her, and the waves starts to take forever to finish with a lot of

unessesary running around as a result. (We Vaubans dont like running

around, hehehe)

This isnt the case when I use my Rhino however. Nova and Rhino is one

"Hek" of a good combo!

No, I think we allways will have "Nerf Cryers" no matter what happens to

any of our frames. Id say Nova is just fine. Parehaps even one of the few

frames actually suited to this new dmg 2.0 thing.

If something should be done, its giving other frames a little more love.

Regards,

Stormfinnare.

The problem is that Nova renders warframes like Ember and Volt useless. Each Warframe is supposed to have its benefits and weaknesses however unfortunately, the Nova has the least weaknesses due to its ult. As long as the ult still can deal the same damage, Volt's and Embers will remain useless. 

The solution to this problem:

The only compromise is to make other glass-cannon frames just as powerful.

By doing this, it would balance the glass-cannon frames and give a variety of Warframes that can deal similar damage but have different benefits. For example...

Volt would be very good against the Corpus however would be ineffective versus the Infested

Ember would be very effective versus the Infested but of course not against Corpus.

Nova is what I would say a jack of all trades therefore she needs to have lower damage than all of the other warframes to balance its universal damage against all targets. (If it's not universal, it should be)

No screw you guys leave my damn Nova alone.

enough of the kids openening thread after thread and crying for nerfs

Look, DE has stated they will be looking in to Nova.

This means that likely she will be getting a change. 

I started this thread so that people, like you, who think she is fine, can say what her minimum point of usefulness is. 

How much do you think Nova can lose off of M prime that will still leave it as a useful tool? 

Can it lose one or both debuffs? 

Can it lose some range? 

Can it lose some damage? 

Can the explosion range not be effected by range mods? 

How weak can it get, and you would still feel like M prime is a good skill. 

The bottom line of its usefulness. 

Please be respectful of other people's opinions on this matter. 

This is not a cry for a nerf, either. This is a thread dedicated to the understanding of the lower limit of Molecular Prime's usefulness. I'm trying to avoid having it end up going the way of QT+R, by getting real insight, and analysis, on what we as a community would still find makes a 100 energy ability useful compared to her other abilities and other frames' abilities. 

Nova is what I would say a jack of all trades therefore she needs to have lower damage than all of the other warframes to balance its universal damage against all targets. (If it's not universal, it should be)

It isn't right now as of 11.3.2 actually. 

Grineer take reduced damage from M prime because their armor now resists blast damage. Coupled with the fact they tend to be more spread out than other factions you might consider Grineer to be the one thing that gives Novas trouble now.  Although I wouldn't know for sure yet. 

Edited by LukeAura

I actually thought Nova was the answer to solo at higher levels, and she could still get trounced if the player wasn't careful. She DID do a LOT of damage, but she was pretty darn vulnerable to injury.

...and now with the damage weakness and power damage type changes... she's a LOT less... capable. i cant really solo with her in higher level areas anymore, and teams pretty much only want me to bring her along for either her former reputation, or as a damage boost support.

I don't think MP needs any nerf at all. People all say it because they see Novas do insane damage.

Which is true.

On...wait for it...low level maps....with low level enemies....

If anything, this community needs to get off its goddamn &#! and do more than 15 minutes in a survival or go past 15 in defense. Nova is a glass cannon. She's supposed to be extremely powerful. Thats the cannon part. Higher level enemies take you down in a few hits, and once you start reaching really high enemies you'll be getting one or two shot.

There is no need for it. There is no need to punish players who enjoy going for a long time in maps to fight actual hard enemies, just because the people looking in lower dungeons see damage and cry OMGWTFNERFPLS.

Enough with the @(*()$ nerfs.

If anything, they need to keep the current level system and just jack up the enemy levels on each planet progressively. Even though I did it myself, I NEVER liked the fact that if you had a high level friend you could go directly into the void and skip everything else if you wanted. Those planets seem easy because they @(*()$ are.

Too easy. I'd like to see where the nerf criers will be if level 1 on xini starts with level 30s or 40s.

Archfiend, you're missing the point of this thread. 
If you like to use Nova past 15 minutes in Survival then tell us why, and what could be reduced/changed or removed around it and you would still find bringing her to the past 15 minute point a good idea. 

Yeah but she'll always be OP with the Nova + Ogris combo. and if you nerf either one you're punishing other players who use Nova or Ogris but not together, forcing the Nova users to use the Ogris to make up for the nerf.

I do agree that rather than stomping our feet (not attacking anyone in this thread) for a nerf, we need to say why and make good suggestions, I don't want to see any frame made useless.

At lowers levels she can be OP, but she is very squishy to make up for it. I suggest playing a good few hours of her, and taking her up to high level defense and survival missions first. Then come back and make your suggestions.

Poor game design philosophy: Nerfing things.

Good game design philosophy: Not making things seem intensely weak.

Sure, nerfing MP would be the easiest method, but that will make people enjoy the game less.  The threads we should be attempting to make as a community are threads with acceptable ideas on how to balance other glass cannon frames.

As far as nerfing MP goes, I have already noticed a lessened productivity of MP due to blast damage.  Not that the skill is somehow balanced compared to the sad state of Mag, but  she is statistically the easiest frame to kill.  

TLDR: Make other people feel like they are powerful, not make Nova players enjoy the game less.

Edited by SCP1548

think of it like this , if de nerf nova nd make her horrible . i wonder how anyone will be able to do any high lvl def or survival witout nova keeping the field clear... at the end of the day everygame needs a nuke..

if u nerf nova u have 2 nerf rhino jus makes sence ................NOVA NERF MEANS NOMORE T3 OR LVL 140 ENEMY GETTIN KILLED . mission failed

Absolute rubbish, of course hi level def or surv will be possible without Nova. I usually abort a defence or survival if there is a Nova there , as I prefer to play without one.

Edited by DaveC

1) knowing she is very fragile, just some nerf on the damage M prime deals would be enough to make it very hard for her to survive any high mission.

2) leave as it is, but limiting the number of enemies she can molecular prime.

or leave as it is, but removing all affinity gain from chain reaction explosions. (just as in a way to make ppl abuse this ability less)