Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Tenno Who Remembered (Fanfic) Updated: Part 1-4.5 Completed

superbot34

A little fan fiction i started, i might make it a full length thing if i get enough feedback :) be sure to come back for updates!

Heads up apology for grammar errors, i'm not very good at word choices, and i am writing this as i go along. The entire story is based heavily on the actual lore on the game, but with speculation and my own personal twists. Enjoy!

Part 1

Tenno Research Outpost

Current Era: Current

300px-Screenshot2_1363125286.jpg

A cold breeze blows outside around a Corpus outpost, heaps of frozen ice crystals form along the edges of the building. Inside, an unhelmeted crewman stands over a tenno Cryopod, tapping on a device, scanning the contents. As he walks around, fiddling with various tools and scavenged equipment, he strokes the thin hair on his chin, the pain still seering from his indoctrination ritual years back, where he was forced to bear the Prophets mark. "Chosen for Tenno research" they told him, "a proud honor and a worthy occupation" they said. Secretly in the back of his mind he never truly understood the Corpus ways, the ways of worshiping this God like race that is the basis of most of their technology, but revealing this to the board would land him a one way trip into the sun. 

Records existed from stolen Grineer databases that told of their origins thousands of years ago, but what little information about this..."Orokin" have been mostly lost to time, either by the cruel violence of the Grineer themselves in an attempt to erase their apparent troubled past, or by the wicked consuming Techocyte Virus as it collected and consumed the data from open terminals as it started to become sentient. These records were forbidden of course, as much of the data was either recorded by the Orokin themselves, or by the Grineer, before they became the withering power hungry animals they are now. Some of these records however, were deemed worthy for viewing by high ranking individuals, especially ones dealing with Tenno research, which he now had access to. 

His current task was simple, to use the little data that was available on Tenno Cryopods and deactivate the pod, without harming the "contents". But something wasn't right about this one. Even after double checking the security measures on his device and checking them with the pod itself, it appeared as if there was a hidden failsafe buried within the pod itself, that was directly connected to the onboard life support. With the little experience he had his first reaction would be to attempt to deactivate the failsafe first, in order to bypass the security measures and proceed with extracting the contents.

But something in the data files caught his attention, along some corrupted data of the Cryopod freezing process, there was a side note that was obviously taken down in a rush, as it had many calculations that did not match the pod itself. In the note, it described a number of pods be installed with an "EMT Device" to "allow Emergency Memory Transfer to occupant", and he realized that the pod he had now in his lab was one of these capsules augmented with such device.

Upon further examination, the emergency failsafe he detected was indeed this "EMT" device, and by activating the pod, the device would according to the notes "Flood the occupant with necessary memories and protocols backed up for emergency executing". "How exciting!" he thought, "a fresh store of potential information from the Orokin at my fingertips!".

After quickly grabbing his helmet and gear, he set down his device onto the pod as he adjusted the pressure seal of his helmet. Unknown to him however, the EMT device picked up a data stream coming from the device, and it just so happened to be reading data stored in the "Tenno" section of the device, picking up what he originally thought to be corrupted data, when in fact is was the failsafe activation sequence to activate the EMT. As he walks out of the lab and out into the cold expanse outside, we see a Tiny glow coming from inside of the pod, as the EMT goes on standby mode. 

Part 2

Tenno Resistance, HQ

Current Era: Current

Fading in, we see a large, neatly kept room, with various Human workers operating computer terminals and messages over loudspeakers. A Dethcube floats along, pausing for a short time occasionally, as if looking for something, and continues traveling until it spies what it is looking for. Ash sits at the edge of the small pond, meditating, as the Dethcube chirps loudly to try to get his attention. Not expecting such an abrupt scare, he becomes unbalanced and falls face first into the cool water as the Dethcube worryingly backs up and hides behind a statue, peeking over and making apologetic chirps. Seeing that it is only his robotic pet, Ash breathes deeply and shakes his head, motioning to Dethcube to come over to him, slightly amused and annoyed at the disturbance.

Dethcube chirps and beeps in a way that only Ash understands, and he suddenly becomes worried at what Dethcube is saying, and he starts to motion towards the exit from the meditation area but Dethcube blocks the door, and projects a hologram message in front of Ash, depicting a corpus crewman. 

Messagedarthmufin.png

The message begins to play "My name is Delagor. You do not know me, but i assure you i know alot about you, Ash". Ash gets into a more serious stance as he continues listening to the message,  "i am a lead researcher in the Corpus

fields regarding your kind, and i have stumbled Upon something that....disturbs me. Something i have been keeping from the Board since it's discovery, and something extremely urgent that requires immediate attention." Ash begins to move around Dethcube but he chirps insistently "do NOT inform your Lotus about this. i beg of you." Ash shrugs 

impatiently and continues watching "You must not trust me considering our opposing views but i assure you that i am risking my own life and possibly the fate of this entire system by even mentioning that i have this information. I have included coordinates to one of my labs on Pluto. It is urgent that you see me before it's too late. Oh and...i included a little...something of yours with your pet that will convince you that i am being sincere about this matter". 

The message ends and a small trinket ejects from a slot on Dethcube, landing on the ground. Ash starts to lean down to pick it up, and just before he does, his hand stops short and he feels a weird feeling, going away moments after feeling it. Touching the little trinket, his mind aches and blurs, as he enters a flashback of his past, before he was sent into the Void by his Orokin brethren, so many years ago.

Part 3

Ancient Space Battle Ruins

Current Era: About 400 years after the Great War

250px-Twilight053s_DerelictLobby.png

Along the edges of the solar system, hidden by Asteroids and clouds of dust, an Orokin Derelict slowly drifts among the wreckage of the Old War. Scattered upon it's remains, an Ancient Pre-Grineer data ship hovers close by and inside, we see familiar armor and ship design, it's the pre-grineer race, before resorting to cloning to increase their power. An important looking figure stands by one of the portholes looking out into space and onto the Derelict, adjusting his pipe as he puffs large clouds of smoke. A smaller lightly armored figure runs up to him, holding mysterious looking artifacts, and in their grineer language he speaks to the commander: "we found this in the main corridor, it appears to be an artifact of some kind, and it must be very important, it was in an opened vault guarded by a statue of a Tenno". The commander suddenly stops puffing on his pipe and turns to the man, eyeing the glowing cube in his hands "hmmmmm..." he said, "bring this to treasury, see if odd looking computer thing can read data".

The man nods and quickly hurries out of the room as the commander resumes looking out of the porthole, clearing his aching throte. Born from a tube to be destined to glory, the commander was the third clone of a man who lived long before he, when his race was still prospering back on earth, and before the beings came from the void and began to lay waste to their world. He could still remember the screams of the man's friends as they were torn apart in front of him, he could still remember a face of a woman in his nightmares, as she was mutated or infected by something. These memories and images were side effects of transferring the knowledge of this great leader into his mind, and most of it seemed too outlandish to be true, yet, he could Feel them when they occurred. As he looked upon the Orokin ship once more, he could feel a burning feeling deep inside his mind, as if there was something about this ship, something important, but he could not remember why he feels almost terrified when gazing upon it.

Inside the Orokin Ship, we see a group of helmeted grineer picking through broken technology, and other slowly walking around the dimly lighted ship, looking for Alloy plate and Reubedo to repair their damaged ship. One of the men adjusts his suit's systems and he sees a slow moving shadow creep across a doorway into another room. He looks up suddenly towards the door, but sees nothing. Becoming uneasy he tells his squad leader he is going to check something out in the other room, as he nods to him in approval. Grabbing his gun, he reminds himself that this ship is hundreds of years old, nothing could live on the ship for that long, it was foolish and weak to think such a thing, as he put down his gun and picked up his scanner instead, and walked through the doorway.

Back on the grineer vessel, inside of a large room filled with wires, hoses and tubes, a grineer scientist taps on the large holographic screen, attempting to do something with the glowing artifact hooked up to it. After trying multiple buttons that seemed important, he resorted to using a grineer cipher to try to unlock it. When it works, he stares at the screen with surprisement, bewildered that it even worked. "odd..." he must have thought, as he watched the screen flicker and change, computing or doing something Arcane. 

He heard a whispering sound in his left ear, very faint, but enough to make him feel uneasy. Turning toward the sound, he saw nothing, the artifact seemed brighter then before maybe, but nothing out of the ordinary. He suddenly forgot what he was doing, and why he was even in the room in the first place, and the whispering went away for a moment as he remembered what to do. Oddly...he knew EXACTLY what to do, and he reached toward the artifact, not knowing why, as his mind told him over and over, over and over again "turn the key, turn the key", as he suddenly felt very cold and alone, as the entire room seemed to fade away, all except for him and the artifact. As his hand nearly touched the cube, the whispering came back louder then before, filling the entire room and filling his head, as he turned a wheel on the top of the key in an exact sequence, each click of the dial slowed down to a point where it sounded like a giant clock tower dinging away. At the final click. the whispering faded away into a hiss...then fading away altogether. He stand there mesmerized, not blinking, nothing. Suddenly, he walks over to the computer like a zombie, and activates something, as a tear rolls down his dried cheek.

Unknown to the group of grineer on the Orokin ship, the Boarding chamber where they came in suddenly locked down, the door creaking and squealing as a manual override was forcing the door shot. Suddenly the group hears a loud squealing metal-on-metal sound, and a loud "BOOM". They looked at each other and shrugged, as if thinking it had something to do with the squad member who left the room, as they continued working. Many rooms ahead, that grineer member who left found himself in a horrifying room, with walls covered in a fleshy goop, and around it floating red particles, that oddly seemed like they floated together. Shrugging off that notion, he continues farther in, spotting an odd looking weapon in a small room, and he looks around double checking that everything was fine, and he stepped into the room, which immediately shut and locked down as he entered.

Actually terrified now, he activated his communicator to the squad and in a panic started babbling about being locked in a door and how there was gooey flesh over the walls and-" but to the horror of his other squad mates, he started sneezing over and over violently, then choking, and finally the only thing they could hear on the other end were desperate wheezing and gurgled breathing. A red dust began to creep out of the walls of the ship, spreading through the air and heading toward the rest of the group.

Part 4.5: The Prophet

Orokin Derelict

Era: The Great War

300px-CBgrandest2.png

A Being sits in a gold-trimmed Oval shaped chair, in a huge room filled with pristine white walls and exquisite glowing artifacts; A great hall.

Being slightly taller than a human, but having similar facial features: Large blue glowing eyes, modified with enhancing technology, a short stubby nose, and a small mouth. Due to their technological advancements and centuries of carefully monitored evolution of their genes, they have moved on from consuming organic matter into energy and instead use the natural process of nuclear fission in their ship's reactors to sustain themselves, so teeth and most of the internal organs involved in digesting food have ceased to exist, making them much thinner and weaker then humans. Hair also ceased to grow many generations ago, and were replaced by a thin layer of electronic micro robots called nanites, which now make up the majority of their bodies. Although he is several thousands of years old, he has stopped aging almost entirely, due to the nanite swarms in his body constantly keeping check of internal waste and replacing inactive parts of his body. Although mostly made of these nanite swarms, he appears to still retain much of his skin, as it retains soft and fleshy regardless of age or placement, making him appear much younger.

Another one of his kind floats toward him at great speed, along a similar chair, using hovering technology to aid his weakened frame. "Prophet, i have good news, and bad news. The good news is these sentient beings seem to have been coming from the very same place we sent out scouts into, this...Void. The bad news...is our scouts returned with....unusual wounds...wounds that have a similar signature to the sentients on our scanners". The Prophet perks up and quickly replies "you secured them didn't you?" "Y-yes sir of course, we put them in cryo chambers to stop the wounds from spreading, they are currently being held in the lab area. More importantly...well, just come with me sir i'll explain it as we get there". With a turn of his head he heads hurriedly back into the direction he came, with the Prophet following close by.

On the Planet's surface, in a an open wooded area thinly occupied by trees and shrubs, Fire and smoke are lit and spreading in patches, as gunfire, rocket engines and explosions fill the sky. A War is blazing on the surface. In a clearing we see a group of Pre-Grineer humans, wearing plate armor and covered in soot from the blazing fires. One of them lies on the ground wounded and yelling, as a glowing nanite-like infested wound pulses on his leg, others standing around trembling with tears in their eyes and their guns pointed at him. The wounded soldier begins to go through waves of being terrified and yelling to growling and gurgling. "don't just stand there, help me-" grabbing his head and gurgling, as if talking with several voices at once "YOU FOOLS. YOUR...PATHETIC...ATTEMPTS...AT RESISTANCE...A LOSING BATTLE...WORTHLESS...get it out of me get it out!". Bewildered and shaken, one of the men unloads an entire clip of his assault rifle into the wounded soldier, tears rolling down his cheeks as his face lights up with each shot fired, not even stopping when his clip went dry and the bullets stopped firing. "w-w-w-what the Fu@# was that man....w-w-w-what did that th-thing do to him? did you hear what he said? we are all going to DIE HERE!"

The man's sporadic talking suddenly halts, along with the rest of the group, when they notice one of the beings hovering in the distance, as if watching them. The man starts backing away and cussing, expelling the empty magazine from his gun and attempting to reload, but dropping the clip on the grass in his excitement, grabbing another and placing it in quickly with shaking hands". Unknown to them, the Sentient was studying the weapon and how it was functioning, watching it being used on another one of their kind made it understand it's makeup. Made it understand it's weakness. Teleporting instantly to one of the men, it stood over him with intent on more studying, scanning texture, body heat, bone density, organ function, anything it could find, as the entire group was frozen with complete terror, unable to move or speak. The man stood petrified like stone, cold as ice, yet his heart tearing itself out of his chest. Humanoid in composure, it had no facial features whatsoever, except for 2 perfectly circular holes for eyes, the blackest of black inside, yet glowing bright white around the center. Although having no visible mouth, faint whispering or chanting hisses were heard by the men, but sounding as if it was coming from everywhere at once. Fleshy tentacles covered it's body, and what little features it had were clouded by a red mist that emanated from it's skin.

Suddenly without warning, it emitted beams of light from it's eyes as it changed it's fleshy arm into a spear, thrusting it into the mans chest as the other's ran in horror and disbelief, deeper into the wooded area. Pulling the flesh spear out, the sentient turned into a large cloud of red mist, that floated into the wooded area after the other men. Dropping face first into the dirt, the man could feel his mind slipping away, his thoughts and memories being clouded by a whispering hiss, the more he tried the think the louder the noise became. But finally losing strength from blood loss, he let go of the urge to fight it and in one final breath, the sound consumed his mind, as the man laid limp and lifeless.

Edited by superbot34

I like this a lot. It's quite well-written. I am looking forward to reading more and seeing where this goes.

I also now wonder what my Shade is saying when he makes his little chirps...

Thanks! haha i know right, they should just make a Sentinel translator already.