Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Levelling Up Tests Amount To Cyber Discrimination.

CaptainEras

These levelling up tests remind me of the hated interactive cutscenes in games like Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3.

They interfere with, and disrupt, the flow of the experience.

I could never imagine a game like the Battlefield series entertaining such infantile interruptions in what is supposed to be a game primarily for adults, so is Warframe a game for those with the money [the adults], or for the kiddy brigade ?

I have only been here for about 2 months, spent £155, am lvl 6 and forged a lot of my stuff so didn't buy my way, only gave myself a leg up as a late starter . . .but have a founders Masters badge.

My main complaint about these tests is that they introduce discrimination to an arena which should have no discrimination, and I mean discrimination towards a sector of players, bad for PR and bad for business.

I don't mind admitting that I'm on my 4th attempt at doing lvl 6 to lvl 7, failure being largely down to my complete resentment for having such crap in the game so have an attitude of, "f*ck it", my brain refuses to accept making any effort.

I can zap the baddies alongside the best of them, but this frequently means those less talented hold on to your coat tails, which is fine, and how it should be in a sharing experience environment.

Those less talented can still rank up and be proud of their progression through the game . . . but what happens to all those with a handfull of thumbs when confonted by levelling up tests which they haven't a hope in hell of passing ?

One thing which doesn't happen is they don't come into a forum and be jeered at for being a complete noob or newbie. They want some cred and respect, but their level up number is not moving and they know that sooner or later someone will ask why, and the full weight of shame will be upon them.

I know adults in BF games who will not play it purely because of how bad they are, doesn't matter how much they are told it's OK, just have fun, they leave and don't come back . .

However, in Warframe the discrimination towards those less talented is compounded by having certain weapons locked by rank, a rank which they cannot reach.

Game designers need a dose of learning compassion. Gaming is about creating something balanced for all so all can enjoy the experience and not have some feeling like 2nd class gamers in a game with tiers they cannot reach . . . and in that not reaching only having a section of the game available to them.

If you get CaptainEras in your squad and he's not on a new stuff levelling up you will see that he can do more than what is required of him and a bloody good wingman in any situation . . . I can wall run all day long, climb into all manner of cubby holes etc., but insult me with a stupid little childish test which is supposed to measure if I'm fit for levelling up and the powers that be can take a hike . . I'm an adult gamer, not some little kid.

The tests aren't -that- hard... why not ask around in New Players for advice, or look up Youtube videos to see how people do it, etc?

The tests make sense lore-wise and in-game and they are basically just elements of gameplay thrown into test form.

If you can't pass the parkour test (for example), then can you truly say that you can parkour good enough to keep up with a fast group?

If you can't kill enemies with a pistol, then why are you playing the game? (Note: this is not meant as an insult)

That and it'd help if you told us what exactly the Rank6->7 test actually is; these rank tests change with every major update it seems. That and it has been quite a long time so I forget what mine was.

The tests are about making yourself better at the various aspects of the game, they are called Mastery tests for a reason. If you pass the Parkour Test, then you can call yourself a Parkour Master (unless you cheese it, but meh). If you pass the Hacking test then you can call yourself a Hacking Master.

Every game encourages you to become better as you play. If you're not willing to put forth the effort to pass these tests... then why play a game that takes skill in the first place? I'm not sure I understand exactly what your issue with the tests are. Though I will admit it does suck having only 1 chance per day at passing it (especially when they don't tell you ahead of time what the test actually is so you could at least come prepared).

Edited by Xylia

Since you are an adult gamer why do you act like a kid?

Leveling up your mastery rank means nothing. If you enjoy playing the game you can stand at rank 1 or rank 4 or 14.Rank is only needed for creating clan based weapons and some from the marketplace.

I'm an adult gamer, not some little kid.

Then why complain about tests? Take it like the adult gamer you are.

Edit: Not here to hate on you or anything. Just saying that if declare yourself to be an adult gamer then you should act like one instead of complaining about not passing a test. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Mastery Just look up the test that matches what you're doing and look at it for a bit or go on youtube and search for it.

Edited by LeviathanRise

I woudln't mind personally if one was able to spend plat to rush the mastery test timer

Or just do away with the timer entirely

Why would you need to rush? Are you really going to gain another whole rank in a day...with the exp nerf on top of it?

I woudln't mind personally if one was able to spend plat to rush the mastery test timer

Or just do away with the timer entirely

Or they could have the tests reset at 7PM.

It sucks to do a long day of gaming Warframe... say 12:30AM, and barely rank up... take the test.....and fail because you didn't know what the hell the test even was because half of the time the wiki is either flat-out wrong or has outdated info on the various tests.

There was a time I took an Ignis and a Vasto to the 9-square long-range snipe test where the squares disappeared.

BARELY passed the test because a Vasto is just not a good weapon to use on that test and the Ignis is 100% useless. Now if I had known what that test was, I woulda taken a Braton or a Soma instead and had a much easier time with it. Or the Stealth Test, my first run I had my Rhino, a Soma, Orthos and some pistol equipped. If I had known that it was a melee-only stealth test, I'd have taken Loki + Energy Siphon + Glaive (which I did the next day).

But anyways.

It sucks to take a test at 12:30AM and fail because you have to wait exactly 24 hours....well what if I can't saty up to 12:30AM the next day? Then I have to wait until the afternoon (or worse, evening) the day after if I happen to have work that day.

It'd be nicer if the tests reset with the daily loot roll.

Edited by Xylia

Or they could have the tests reset at 7PM.

It sucks to do a long day of gaming Warframe... say 12:30AM, and barely rank up... take the test.....and fail because you didn't know what the hell the test even was because half of the time the wiki is either flat-out wrong or has outdated info on the various tests.

There was a time I took an Ignis and a Vasto to the 9-square long-range snipe test where the squares disappeared.

BARELY passed the test because a Vasto is just not a good weapon to use on that test and the Ignis is 100% useless. Now if I had known what that test was, I woulda taken a Braton or a Soma instead and had a much easier time with it. Or the Stealth Test, my first run I had my Rhino, a Soma, Orthos and some pistol equipped. If I had known that it was a melee-only stealth test, I'd have taken Loki + Energy Siphon + Glaive (which I did the next day).

But anyways.

It sucks to take a test at 12:30AM and fail because you have to wait exactly 24 hours....well what if I can't saty up to 12:30AM the next day? Then I have to wait until the afternoon (or worse, evening) the day after if I happen to have work that day.

It'd be nicer if the tests reset with the daily loot roll.

All of this I agree with. 

I've never been treated as a noob, or anything of the sort, about having a low Mastery Rank... Although I am ranked 11, all the time I've spent leveling, I've never had to deal with discrimination.

I know Warframe is rated for Teens, but I do feel, and have always felt, that it's more adult-oriented... I feel like a large number of people act like children, and it's a shame.

Is your 6->7 Test the one where the enemies appear in 3 waves (each a different faction) with all the pillars? Easiest way to do this is to get a Nova and use her first ability, running around letting it kill the enemies for you.

The main staple of the test, as far as I know, is: "Your Warframe is a Weapon, SHOW ME YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT" It is not a test of weaponry, but your ability with your warframe since trying to go after guys who will constantly hide behind pillars is ridiculous for the amount of time the test gives you.

I think the main issue most people have with the tests is the timer. However, there is always a way to get through a Mastery Test, even if it's a slightly cheap/easy way.

Is your 6->7 Test the one where the enemies appear in 3 waves (each a different faction) with all the pillars? Easiest way to do this is to get a Nova and use her first ability, running around letting it kill the enemies for you.

The main staple of the test, as far as I know, is: "Your Warframe is a Weapon, SHOW ME YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT" It is not a test of weaponry, but your ability with your warframe since trying to go after guys who will constantly hide behind pillars is ridiculous for the amount of time the test gives you.

I think the main issue most people have with the tests is the timer. However, there is always a way to get through a Mastery Test, even if it's a slightly cheap/easy way.

I didn't have a problem with this test, unless they tweaked it. You are not forced to kill the enemies with Warframe Powers at all.

Unless they changed it. I remember just blasting everybody with a pistol, and lots of people saying they used a sentinel weapon (Dethcube back then, Sweeper later on).

If they changed it... then that kinda sucks (what if you go in with Loki not knowing ahead of time?).

I didn't have a problem with this test, unless they tweaked it. You are not forced to kill the enemies with Warframe Powers at all.

Unless they changed it. I remember just blasting everybody with a pistol, and lots of people saying they used a sentinel weapon (Dethcube back then, Sweeper later on).

If they changed it... then that kinda sucks (what if you go in with Loki not knowing ahead of time?).

Sorry if I implied warframe-powers-only as the test. No, it's simply easier (usually) to use a warframe's abilities, particularly for damage warframes that possess AOE abilities, in the test. I've noted that enemies that would normally come after you (bar the infested in the final round) will run behind the pillars on purpose in order to prolong your hunt. I took the test 3 times before settling on my Nova running around zapping them with my little antimatter satellites.

For me it was easier using warframe abilities and I took it, by Lotus' very own words, that the test was meant to put you through a trial of using your warframe efficiently and well rather than brute-forcing with weaponry. If you go in with a Loki with my mind-set for the test then you're not gonna have a good or easy time since Loki lacks damaging powers and his stealth would do little good in drawing the enemies towards him for striking them down.

Sorry if I implied warframe-powers-only as the test. No, it's simply easier (usually) to use a warframe's abilities, particularly for damage warframes that possess AOE abilities, in the test. I've noted that enemies that would normally come after you (bar the infested in the final round) will run behind the pillars on purpose in order to prolong your hunt. I took the test 3 times before settling on my Nova running around zapping them with my little antimatter satellites.

For me it was easier using warframe abilities and I took it, by Lotus' very own words, that the test was meant to put you through a trial of using your warframe efficiently and well rather than brute-forcing with weaponry. If you go in with a Loki with my mind-set for the test then you're not gonna have a good or easy time since Loki lacks damaging powers and his stealth would do little good in drawing the enemies towards him for striking them down.

Well the mobs are Lv1 IIRC, nearly any weapon will one-shot them, heck an unranked Braton would make short work of them. You just run circles around the arena gunning them down. As long as you're not going in there with an unranked Frame and you got at least 200 shields you should be fine (there's easily enough time between waves for shield recharge). Or a Lato or nearly anything that fires quick and has a decently fast reload should work. Just don't take Rhino with Thrak or something and you'll be fine. Enemy Radar/Enemy Sense helps a ton too.

I know a friend who is absolutely terrible at most anything he plays, but he still persists. He doesn't give up and admits that he's bad. Because of him, and how many times I've had to carry a mission due to his lack of skill, I know what OP is talking about.

I'd have to agree that it is ridiculous to lock someone at a certain rank if they are never capable of completing the mastery challenge. DE has implemented the challenge for 2 reasons.

From what I understand:

1: The challenge is there to show that a player has advanced skills in the game, and therefore has achieved their rank.

2: The mastery shows how much content a player has been through.

The problem is that some players could end up being locked to a rank due to a lack of skill. Many people don't realize this but some are literally incapable of becoming "skilled" at some games. My friend is a good example, he has played games for years and still sucks. He never gives up and tries hard but still sucks, and he admits it.

Studies show that most games require quick processing of visual information among other things. A person's inability to achieve what is required of a game in order to perform a certain task will result in failure, pretty much every time. This is why there is some desire for Fighter Pilots to have a background in gaming, or are perhaps skilled with games.

Frustration happens to all of us. The behavior in OP is not exactly "adult like" but it is understandable. I'm sure any one of the "adults" on these forums have, at one time or another, acted like this out of frustration.

Take some of the suggestions from others. See how they are accomplishing these tests and try their methods. Hopefully you can accomplish the test that way.

I do think that DE should consider that not everyone can complete these tests.

I know a friend who is absolutely terrible at most anything he plays, but he still persists. He doesn't give up and admits that he's bad. Because of him, and how many times I've had to carry a mission due to his lack of skill, I know what OP is talking about.

I'd have to agree that it is ridiculous to lock someone at a certain rank if they are never capable of completing the mastery challenge. DE has implemented the challenge for 2 reasons.

From what I understand:

1: The challenge is there to show that a player has advanced skills in the game, and therefore has achieved their rank.

2: The mastery shows how much content a player has been through.

The problem is that some players could end up being locked to a rank due to a lack of skill. Many people don't realize this but some are literally incapable of becoming "skilled" at some games. My friend is a good example, he has played games for years and still sucks. He never gives up and tries hard but still sucks, and he admits it.

Studies show that most games require quick processing of visual information among other things. A person's inability to achieve what is required of a game in order to perform a certain task will result in failure, pretty much every time. This is why there is some desire for Fighter Pilots to have a background in gaming, or are perhaps skilled with games.

Frustration happens to all of us. The behavior in OP is not exactly "adult like" but it is understandable. I'm sure any one of the "adults" on these forums have, at one time or another, acted like this out of frustration.

Take some of the suggestions from others. See how they are accomplishing these tests and try their methods. Hopefully you can accomplish the test that way.

I do think that DE should consider that not everyone can complete these tests.

The thing is, though, is that even if you don't pass the tests... what are you really missing? A few weapons here-and-there? Rhino only requires Rank 2 (shoot 10 guys with a pistol, not hard at all), there's a slew of Rank 2-4 weapons (those tests are easy).

The OP is complaining about the Rank 6->7 Test.

There aren't very many Rank 7 items even in the game, and I don't really think any of them are considered "required" to be effective in missions anyway.

If he can't pass the test, then...

Please don't take offense at me saying this...

...he doesn't deserve Rank7 or any Rank7 items. He can still use 90%+ of all equipment in the game as-is, though.

These items are locked behind MR Tests for a reason; you're supposed to earn them.

What should we do, have DE give a gold star to anybody who fails the test 5+ times and say "its too bad you couldn't do the test, but we'll give you an E for effort"?

Come on now, let's be reasonable. I can understand the frustration, but the OP just needs to figure out where he's going wrong with this and better himself so that he can pass it.

EDIT: The OP even flatly admitted that he goes into the test with a defeatist "I don't care" attitude because he feels he shouldn't even be tested in the first place. He's not even trying to pass the test because he's giving up mid-way through the test. Not necessarily because the test is too hard, but because he doesn't like being tested.

All he'd have to do, is take 2 minutes out of his day, knuckle up, and DO the test and pass it. He's trying to tell us he can't focus for 2 minutes to do the test? Seriously?

I could understand if he had, I don't know, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and can't pass the Parkour Test even though he's Tried several times (without the defeatist attitude). Then he'd have a point. That Parkour Test trips a lot of older Warframe Players up, especially those with controllers.

But this isn't even that test I don't think, is it?

Edited by Xylia

This mastery test imo is actually easier than some of the earlier tests.

And yes I am an adult as well, 30 by 2014.

I am already rank 12 and just 22k shy of rank 13.

Are they particularly difficult, perhaps, but it is a test, it ain't a cake walk.

And there are waaay more harder tests than 6 to 7.

I think the point he is trying to make is that the test in and of itself is pretty damn discriminatory towards "unskilled" players or players who want to enjoy the game.

Meanwhile 99% of the game requires nowhere near the level of difficulty you will find in these test. I think that's the real problem.

----------

I don't see the problem with making the test passable by hitting mastery rank and just giving some credit bonus or something.

Edited by Empiren

my first run I had my Rhino, a Soma, Orthos and some pistol equipped. If I had known that it was a melee-only stealth test, I'd have taken Loki + Energy Siphon + Glaive (which I did the next day).

What? It's an easy test, I passed it with volt (or was it excalibur? One of these two, definitely), armed with prova. And I'm pretty bad gamer myself.

Since you are an adult gamer why do you act like a kid?

Leveling up your mastery rank means nothing. If you enjoy playing the game you can stand at rank 1 or rank 4 or 14.Rank is only needed for creating clan based weapons and some from the marketplace.

Your post, along with a few others, is what I expect, total failure to understand my post is going to happen with some people.

Sorry, but your self-contradiction is rather laughable . . .  " Rank is only needed for creating clan based weapons and some from the marketplace ", and you call me the kid ? . .what do you think my post was about ?

Another joke, Wikia and YT will show you how to pass them . . . so what worth are they ? . . bit like being given all the answers to an exam paper.

In which case, what is the point of the tests as they prove very little so no need for them to be there.

I am well aware of the different varieties of people frequenting cyber forums so know in advance the selection of replies invoked by my comments . . . but I have yet to see anyone actually address the main point of discrimination.

You are all such brilliant gamers, aren't you ? with no tolerance for the guys who aren't - and will remain in the shadows -   . . which is exactly my point, not the emphasis so many have chosen to pick of my personal levelling up tests . . maybe the concept I propound of discrimination as described by me is too complicated a concept ? . .who knows, after all, this is yet another cyber forum.

Edited by CaptainEras

I think the point he is trying to make is that the test in and of itself is pretty damn discriminatory towards "unskilled" players or players who want to enjoy the game.

Meanwhile 99% of the game requires nowhere near the level of difficulty you will find in these test. I think that's the real problem.

----------

I don't see the problem with making the test passable by hitting mastery rank and just giving some credit bonus or something.

Thank you, I always have faith that there will be at least one level headed person who gets the point . . . just like there will always be those who fall into the trap of throwing the "kid" remark back, they just can't help themselves.

In a previous post I mentioned something similar to the comment in your sig., like in BF4, you have done all the work to rank up so why the hell should you have to then take another test, it contradicts the effort you have just made and at that point discriminates against the less talented who have been clever enough to scrape through.

But let's get real, no-one gets a free pass, everyone playing the game has made an effort to reach the point of levelling up.

Edited by CaptainEras

That's the one.

I do a lot of "Survival" and "mobile defense" missions - which are generally considered the hardest ones -  and have a ball. No problems getting a load of loot and surviving to the end, so how does a stupid little test which quickly runs out of time prove anything to anyone . . . I mean, should it say that because I haven't completed it all my success in the 2 hardest mission types has to be a lie ?

However, the emphasis continuing to be me and my levelling up tests has derailed the main point of the thread so I guess it is going nowhere . . .

About the comment, "wait until 7- 8, already know, wall running and shooting . .bit of a bugger by all accounts, lol . .