Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Katana Weapon Please!

Hanzo29

*eyeroll*

FACTS: 1- Katana's were used in real combat for hundreds of years, I doubt that would be so if it were a "Terrible" swords. 2- the design and curved blade made for a faster draw. 3- was built with some of the most advanced steel smithing techniques for its time, or even by today's standards for that matter. 3- yes i like Japanese culture, and many other Asian cultures as well, one of the reasons i play the game. 4- yes some of us choose things out of personal preference rather than practicality. if you're suggesting you never do the same, you're a liar! 5- its obvious your on here just to argue. well you got it. 

I am so sick of, the nay saying in forums. if you don't like the weapon GREAT DON'T USE IT. 

1) Rocks were also used for hundreds of years; doesn't make them good weapons. Fact is, the Katana was predominantly used as an honor thing, not as a practicality thing. It is effecting, considering that it's a 3+ foot sharp broomstick, but it isn't actually special.

2) The faster draw isn't significant in any scenario where it's used in combat. While that'd actually be a relevant thing in Warframe, it'd also be gimmicky and would be better off if used as a mod, not as a weapon quirk.

3) That statement he made was irrelevant and you ate the tasty, tasty bait.

4) Ignoring personal preference, it's still very similar to Skana/Cronus. In reality, those weapons need changes more than we need clones of them. And some people really don't care about aesthetic appeal. See: Brakk/pre-nerf Acrid users. (Although I like my knob and nuts).

5) Maybe your idea is just bad and your reaction to responses just sucks. Please, try again when you're not going to reject differences in opinion.

Because most of the current swords are the same boring thing? The promised combo system will (hopefully) alleviate some of the monotony, but currently it's extremely dull.

How to melee 101

Choose one:

-Spam normal attacks (if the weapon actually crits)

-Spam charge attacks (if the normal attacks are horrible)

Melee 2.0 is comming SOON™, so wait for that before saying anything. Maybe it will change everything ever. :P

Edited by Kataiser

*eyeroll*

FACTS: 1- Katana's were used in real combat for hundreds of years, I doubt that would be so if it were a "Terrible" swords. 2- the design and curved blade made for a faster draw. 3- was built with some of the most advanced steel smithing techniques for its time, or even by today's standards for that matter. 3- yes i like Japanese culture, and many other Asian cultures as well, one of the reasons i play the game. 4- yes some of us choose things out of personal preference rather than practicality. if you're suggesting you never do the same, you're a liar! 5- its obvious your on here just to argue. well you got it. 

I am so sick of, the nay saying in forums. if you don't like the weapon GREAT DON'T USE IT. 

I really don't want to rephrase a bunch of things that have already been said, so here:

for those who can't embed:

At the very least, please realize that the "advanced sword techniques" were being done in 700-800 BC in the west, and the main reason that Katanas were used for "hundreds of years" was because of the stagnant anti-progress culture in Japan, which would've probably never changed if Europeans didn't show up in their ports with battleships armed with cannons.

Edited by Volume

This is a silly topic about katanas. I don't ever expect to see any fancy 'draw' animation because we're using the weapon actively and without any real delay, other than charge rates.

But it's also silly because we first need a new melee system like they were discussing in the last livestream, because single-handed longswords haven't been relevant for a very long time in Warframe.

At the very least, please realize that the "advanced sword techniques" were being done in 700-800 BC in the west, and the main reason that Katanas were used for "hundreds of years" was because of the stagnant anti-progress culture in Japan, which would've probably never changed if Europeans didn't show up in their ports with battleships armed with cannons.

You have at least made your debate with some logic, and im always up for some debate.

your points are true. i never said that the japanese were the FIRST to use these techniques. i simply said they used them.

your final point is debatable. yes Japanese seemed to be very traditional and stuck in their ways at times. but i wouldn't go as far as to say they created something and then never tried to improve it. If anything i think their culture valued refinement, practicing something until it was perfect. I believe that they came to the conclusion of this design and stuck with it for a reason. its possible that their lack of exposure to other ideas kept them for coming up with something else but they did have a wide range of other types of weapons.

You may be assuming that i feel Japanese swords are superior to western swords or other types, but that is not the case. i think all have strengths and weaknesses. just kinda comes down to what you practice, and if it works for you.

this weapon is a marvel of weaponry. its good. its not the best, its not the only game in town, but its still good. and was a major part of their culture an history. I wouldn't go as far as to disrespect it like some people just cause its not your cup of tea.

Edited by Rasputin29

what about a katana made of ice? i mean, we still lack a pure frost elemental weapon while we have ignis for fire, mire and dual ichor for toxin, and prova and lecta for electric damage,imo it would be a neat idea, i'd definitely use it if it ever comes out..

Edited by bl4ckhunter

what about a katana made of ice? i mean, we still lack a pure frost elemental weapon while we have ignis for fire, mire and dual ichor for toxin, and prova and lecta for electric damage,imo it would be a neat idea, i'd definitely use it if it ever comes out..

Hmmm ill give it some though, if i come up with a design ill let you know. A Katana or something else? up for anything really. ive been waiting to see Sai's in the game

I can't not use it if it doesn't exist, though.

Like I said, I had no problem with a Skana katana skin

Skana...

Katana...

Skatana...

Skana... It's almost as if it's a futuristic version of your beloved sword.

Edited by Archistopheles

*eyeroll*

*eyeroll*

Katanas were excellent from an engineering and design standpoint, but hot damn were they crap as far as steel went. The reason they had to use such advanced techniques? Because Japan doesn't have anything in the way of high quality iron. A original katana would be destroyed within minutes of entering combat with any other sword from that period.

Anyway, I loves your space katana. Waaaaant.

I'd only agree to a weapon like this IF the sheathe is involved in the animations as well. (example he would draw and sheathe the swords when attacking/finishing a combo in either a samurai or ninja style)

if so. then all my yes take my money and want it now! =P

An actual katana weapon MUST be sheathed and the fighting style has to involve drawing the sword with each stroke, otherwise it is literally indistinguishable from every other single-bladed one-handed sword. Kind of like

, or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaFkikFKnP4'>this. 

Alternatively, a two-handed version is okay too, but it has to have a recognizably Japanese stance (as opposed to the very European stance we get with the Gram and Galatine). 

Edited by Zyrusticae

Skana Skin.

Skana is more in the style of a Ninjato, not a Katana, Katana's have very long blades whereas a Ninjato has a very short, straight blade

*eyeroll*

The Katana is a terrible sword. The only reason you and those like you are interested in it is because it's been romanticized by Anime and movies.

Interesting choice of words seeing as how Warframes were inspired by Evangelon.

Thank you for that. nice to see documented evidence. 

Except it's not actually either. At best, that video's probably just there to dazzle fans and confuse anybody else who doesn't know any better.

Particularly since we're talking about the actual weapons made with period materials, using the "traditional" techniques, not modern reproductions. e.g. the whole vaunted folding method used for the originals? It was done to remove impurities because Japan had garbage iron deposits to work with.

Hell, you can just look at the opinion of the actual Samurai during the Sengoku period as to the quality of their metalwork compared to Europe's - if they were wealthy and/or influential enough, they imported the gear they used in battle (whether it was weapons or armor) from places like Spain and Portugal during the so-called "Nanban Trade".