Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Rising Shadows, Part I - Affliction

Serthor

Read Me (Pwetty Pwease :3)

So I decided to write a Warframe Fanfic. Let me give you a warning before you read. I do not have that much time or strength to write. So if the story is progressing slowly, you'll just have to be patient. I will be posting the story Chapter by Chapter as I write them. If I feel the need to rewrite or change some minor details in chapters already posted, I will do so.

Behind The Story

I have been playing the game for a little while now, and I felt the game had far too little lore. Of course, not everyone cares about lore. Some just likes to have a good time shooting, slashing and wrecking stuff. Well, I have been poking around a bit and taken what I could find. The following story is my own intepretation of Warframe. I wanted to answer questions like "Who are the Space Ninja Pirates Tenno?" "What is a Space Ninja Pirate Suit Warframe?" "Who or what is Space Ninja Pirate Power and/or creators Orokin?" "Who is this Black/Red Space Ninja Demon who ruins my mission for the hundredth time in a row just because I happened to want more Credits Stalker?" Hey! I will even throw in some new weapons (well... modified, really) and a new Warframe!

About the Story

I was thinking three parts. Maybe this will change in time. I call this work Rising Shadows. Why? Well, you'll find out eventually. Even though you can pretty much guess it from the name of Part I - Affliction, and from reading the Prologue. Or can you? But don't worry. I won't have our Stalker sever the main character's hand in a floating city, telling him/her "No. I am your father!" Or maybe I will? Where was I... Oh, yes! Three parts. I - Affliction, II - ???, III - ???. I am pretty much just sitting down, and throwing ideas at my computer. Afterwards I try to make sense of it all (mostly in vain) and I come up with somethign that can be called a Story.

Small note before you can finally start reading

The Grineer language is a bit fun. You'll take note of it here and there in the story. Yes, I will add translation after each chapter if it appears at all. Also, anyone know a good artist that could make me a cover for this thing? Oh, by the way. All names, clan emblems or other similar stuff, I have either come up with myself, or it's taken directly from the game. And if a specific type of Warframe appeares to die in the Story, NO! I do not hate that type of Warframe. My hoice of Warframe to kill was at random. Besides, I'm planning on all types of warframes dying at least once each. Or maybe that would bring too much sorrow? :(

Rising Shadows, Part I - Affliction
Prologue

"Greetings Lotus

It has come to my attention that much of our history is lost and forgotten, so I have taken it upon myself to find out our history. But as it happens, I have a Dark Stalker at my tail, hiding in the shadows, waiting to strike at me when I least expect it. My work is progressing slowly because of this. But among my rare findings, I believe have found out who this Stalker really are. You will be receiving my full report in a few months time.

Serthor"

Lancer is an old term, used millennia ago to define the first line of soldiers, awaiting the arrival of enemies to charge at them, only to be impaled on lances - hence the name. In the room was four of them, large and now dead Grineer. Most likely genetically manipulated to serve as an impenetrable bulwark against pirates and rebels. The room was a cockpit of a small Grineer scout vessel. It is also used from time to time as small troop transport vessels for landing teams of the GETF, Grineer Elite Task Force. The mission of this vessel was to find an alternate and unguarded route into Corpus space, should the need arise for the Grineer to invade. The ship had enough time to report the discovery of an undisturbed Orokin Tower before losing contact with Grineer HQ. Of course, this was normal, as the Orokin Towers usually had some kind of transmission interference grid around them. But that only gave him a few hours time before an investigation team was sent.
     One of the Lancers was lying at the entrance to the cockpit, and a dark arrow stuck to his head, partially splitting the head open. Beside him was his now severed Grakata. Another Lancer was stuck to the wall right by the door. His weapon still in hand, but he was completely motionless. The cause of him hanging a few inches above the floor were a dark scythe impaled through his chest. At the very front of the cockpit, impaled on the front window by three arrows, hanged a third Lancer, probably throw that far away by the blast of the door being forced open. One arrow through his shoulder to stick him there, one arrow to his arm to stop him from pulling his side arm and lastly one arrow through his heart.
     "Ey skrill ho, Tenno!" a female voice cried from underneath the fourth corpse. He had protected her. As the attacker easily killed the other guards within seconds of forcing himself in, the last remaining Lancer had thrown himself in the way of a set of throwing knives, to save the female pilot. He had died instantly. The pilot was crying, tears streaming down her only visible eye. Maybe her only real eye.
      "Tenno?" the dark armored assailant asked, with a whisper sounding as if it came from the depths of hell. He let out a strange sound, as if laughing. But the nature of his voice struck fear into the pilot. He saw that she held an arm around the dead lancer. Maybe they were lovers? The Grineer were not able to reproduce. They lost that ability after many generations of cloning. But that did not deny some of them the feeling of love and friendship. He looked at them both.
     "Are you not going to kill me?" he asked mockingly.
     "Dye, Tenno!" she screamed as she tried to reach for her protector's weapon. But as she were about to pick it up, she began to float. Looking back at her enemy, she saw him holding up his left arm. It was glowing with Orokin energy. But this energy was twisted, dark. It seemed to suck all light it should've produced. The dark Warframe tilted his head to the side. Had it not been for the absence of a face, he would've smiled.
     "Justice... is served," he proclaimed as he stretched his arm forward, using his magnetic powers to push the pilot into the front glass of the cockpit. The pilot could only scream in fear as she was pushed through the glass into open space where she would suffocate to death. He could hear the words she uttered as she flew through it.
     "Kwuim, feer me!"

As the emergency walls shut down outside the broken glass, the dark warrior collected his weapons from the corpses. He then went to the main computer to set a collision course with the nearest star. That would buy him some time, but not much. Just as he was about to send the ship to it's doom, it's computer picked up a message. Normally it wouldn't bother him, but this ship was inside the jamming radius of his Tower. This message was not supposed to be able to get through. He quickly hacked the communications console and took a look at the message. Coded.
     "Well, take a look at this?" he snickered to himself. "Seems like the girl have new codes. I wonder if-"
     He got interrupted as the ship shook. He cursed to himself. Was the investigation team already there? The ship had barely been out of contact for one hour. His first instinct was to look out the window, but it was blocked by the wall. As he ran back out of the cockpit, the way he came from, to ready his transport back, he could sense them. He stopped. There were four of them. One was slightly injured. Did the Lotus really send them all the way here for this ship? Or were they on their way back to their Dojo and just happened to stumble upon his Tower? It didn't matter to him. His fury over their crimes against all living was enough reason for him to slay them all. The injured one had the Death Mark. It was a female. Nyx. The other three were not important. Only minor nuisance. He heard them slice their way through. They knew the ship was dead, otherwise they would never have been able to even dock to a ship this size. He readied himself, and walked down the stairs in the corridor, leading to the small cargo hold. That was where they were slicing themselves in.
     When he arrived he saw that they were halfway through the slicing. Some of these fighters had modified shields that regenerated themselves after a little while. Slicing oneself into the ship would take it's time. He waited. When they were almost finished he whispered to the Nyx.
     "I know your every move..."
     The whisper was almost silent, but he knew that she had heard him, because the slicing stopped. He could hear their minds communicate. They sounded distressed.
     "There is no salvation for your crime..." he continued. This time he could hear the sound of weapons being unsecured, loaded and ready to fire. Their minds were silent. They prepared themselves for their deaths.
     "Your sentence is-"
     He was interrupted by the wall flying towards him. He barely had time to dodge it before the appearance of a Rhino. The huge Tenno quickly empowered himself with the Orokin of his suit and charged. Two Excaliburs and the Nyx quickly followed him inside.
     "Your Tenno powers are useless!" he exclaimed as he saw the both Excaliburs charge together with the Rhino. He brought up both his hands, picking the three of them up with great ease through the magnetic manipulation. He threw them all to the side. The Nyx held up her Skana in an attempt to defend herself, but it was too late. He teleported behind her and raised his scythe, and thrusting it backwards, impaling her. He quickly retracted his weapon and spun around, swinging the weapon with him, severing the head of the Nyx. As he watched her back, he saw the cause of her earlier injury. She was Infected. And furthermore, she was already turning. He knew that right now, even he was unable to bring down an Infected Tenno. He allowed himself to feel a bit of fear as he quickly made his escape into the Shadows, concentrating on one thing only. Home. As he began to dematerialize and teleport, he could see the Nyx changing form. The other Tenno were back on their feet and they also saw it. They began to frantically shoot at her with their weapons, but it was no use. The last thing he saw was an aberration lunging itself towards the Tenno. They could either run, or die. Either way, the Stalker knew that something was terribly wrong.

Translations

Ey skrill ho, Tenno - I (will) kill you, Tenno

Dye, Tenno - Die, Tenno

Kwuim, feer me - Queen(s), save me