Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

3D Map And Farming Missions For Reward

Morkislair

In another thread, I spoke of a 3D map and a deception mission variation to go from one planet to another. I also spoke of having random missions with quotas on type instead of the mission path we have now.  

This time, I'd like to explore the concept a little further. With the appearance of forest tiles, there's something which become more and more possible. First, about worlds (like Earth) where missions can be on the ground and in space: when you zoom on the planet, to have something roughly looking like this 

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5350/6z32.jpg

Zooming on a particular planet would bring up a 2D screen like it already does for easier use, but unscrolling with the mouse (or the PS4 touchpad) would go back to the 3D view, to the vastness of space between the worlds of the solar system. To give an idea of what I'm talking about, I invite you to watch the little video linked at the end of my post. If you've played Nexus, you already know what I'm talking about :)

Now, as the 3D models already exist (those we use to see in the intro cutscenes when we were closing on the target ship), could it be that in this 3D solar map, operations of Corpus versus Grineer would be actual fleets in a planet's vicinity? The same could go for Infested incursions, Grineer or Corpus could call for help for a groups of ships being swarmed by the endless hordes.

Alerts and nightmare modes could be ships spotted outside of the normal routes and further than usual from a planet.

It could give vivid sensation that the Warframe universe is alive. Like in UFO Aftermath: missions were generated randomly, and so were the levels. But because they were, it gave to the player the impression that his progression was kinda organic, unscripted, that the universe he was playing in was alive, in some ways; reacted to him.

Then, still about Infestation incursion specifically.

More precisely, about the mission farming thing. We all know they're dull, and that's why we have all, at some point just joined a squad and went AFK when they were completing a mission we did once or twice; or four times in a row. In all honesty, that's not what I came to like in Warframe, despite my lack of interest in multiplayer and MMO games.

I'm not saying my ideas are good or should be implemented, they are opinions and thoughts on how it could be made a little more interesting.

1°) Same mission, different objectives piling up: beginning with a mobile defence, then going capture, then deception, whatever. The idea would be to actually do the equivalent of 3-5 missions in one. It would be harder, longer and the Tenno would better be well prepared. As the main objectives would be random, it would always be something different and bring back this versatility.

2°) Marathon: 5 missions where you exterminate 100 enemies? Make it a 500 exterminate. Could also work very well with Mobile defence missions, but would become dull with capture, deception and spy.

Those two would make those missions longer, and when reaching its end, the players could really have this awesome feeling of deserving an awesome reward. Could be interesting.

3°) Chain up several missions, but not doing the same over and over. For instance, let's say we have an Infested incursion. There would be 1-2 exterminate missions to clean the entrance, some spy, mobile defence to learn where the incursion is coming from, then some deception/sabotage to avoid more infested ships to join the fray, and end with some boss missions. But I wouldn't suggest more than two.

Note that in a 3D map like the one I spoke about, each mission success would unlock access to another ship or group of ships, deeper in the void between the planets. It could be... quite a view.

Furthermore, some missions could be time limited: Grineer or Corpus could have learned Tenno are battling Infested on some ship, and would want to get rid of both by destroying said ship. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQEH_V5rdJ8

(french accent, sorry, can't do much about that aside living a few years in the UK)