Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested Concept Thread - Heavy Unit

bejuizb

Hey guys,

I've just finished playing, or rather watching someone play Dead Space and was very inspired by the necromorphs in that game. So I've decided to make a thread that will feature all the concepts that I have for Infested units.

Note that these are simply ideas that I sketch out and slap on some cool abilities. How these units affect gameplay can be discussed freely in this thread.

Let's start off with concept #1 : Heavy Unit

Now the aim of creating this unit was to include an Infested enemy that has multiple dangers to it, unlike ancients or chargers. This creature has certain weak spots and certain abilities that make it vastly different from other Infested units. 

KzgZD8x.jpg

I realize that the image might be confusing but bear with me. A Pilot pen isn't great to draw tentacles :P

Anyways I've decided to call these units Sepulchers. 

These Infested were made from the bodies of Corpus Techs, who possess a larger body mass and proportions in comparison to standard crewmen. That caused these creatures to mutate to a more substantial extent that Runners or Leapers.

With regards to behaviour, Sepulchers are slow moving because of the deformities in the legs. They lob toxic spores at Tenno if they are a longer ranges. These spores are very similar to the spores released by The Ancient Infested Head of Lephantis. The spores have a three to four second delay before exploding. The Sepulchers have a medium range for this attack; about 40 metres is the absolute maximum range of the spores. The spores are released from the spore mouth.

For close quarter engagements, Sepulchers use the large right arm to swing at enemies. Being flexible and quite long, these arms can swing in large arcs. Tenno can dodge these attacks by sliding underneath the arms at the correct time. Often the Sepulchers can grab enemies with the right arm and attempt to attach them to itself. The chomper mouth starts attacking the captured enemy and procs a slow bleed effect on its victims. Players still have a chance to shoot at the Sephucler while being grabbed, making it possible to solo this enemy. 

QwBlP55.jpg

Sepulchers have relatively massive health pools and a decent armour pool, making them more of a challenge than ancients. This added strength is compensated by the innate slowness of these units. When low on health, Sepulchers will charge at the nearest players with the intent of exploding, just like a runner. The difference here is that the Sepulchers' explosions will release toxic clouds as well as a number of spores scattered randomly across a radius around the blast. 

This extreme unit deserves high prioritization and should be engaged and eliminated as fast as possible.

This looks really good!

How would it be handled in defense? Would there be almost only Sepulchres spawning past a certain point as with ancients? That would't be much fun ahah but quite a challenge indeed!

They would have a 25% chance to spawn in comparison to an Ancient. As the level scaling increases, that percentage would decrease as well, so that you don't have dozens of spores gassing you to oblivion past wave 50.

http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-2174987-stock-footage-giant-lizard-is-crawling-through-a-lotus-pond.html

I want a slow infested mob for a change. Something juggernaut like so people can't just put down a Vauban vortex and sit on their hands. I imagine something moving slowly, cold and lazy like this lizard, stopping a short way from the Tenno to barf acid from afar, and only biting/melee'ing if it catches up to them.

Shoot it's mouth during charge up to interrupt the barf, or shoot it mid bite to stop a tremendous damage chomp attack from finishing.

God, if we're drawing ideas from Dead Space, then please don't ever put in the Stasis-jacked enemies there, the Tweakers? God, those things scared the snot out of me more than everything else in the game, combined. ;__;

OT: The concept is really cool! Although it could be seen that there are similarities to Lephantis, this could be a good springboard for new players to learn weakpoints. (I assume the weakpoints are the mouths, similar to Lephantis). If DE makes the mini-boss system, as some have suggested, this will be the prime candidate. Good job!

http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-2174987-stock-footage-giant-lizard-is-crawling-through-a-lotus-pond.html

I want a slow infested mob for a change. Something juggernaut like so people can't just put down a Vauban vortex and sit on their hands. I imagine something moving slowly, cold and lazy like this lizard, stopping a short way from the Tenno to barf acid from afar, and only biting/melee'ing if it catches up to them.

Shoot it's mouth during charge up to interrupt the barf, or shoot it mid bite to stop a tremendous damage chomp attack from finishing.

That's my guy :P

that... looks more like Treant than an Infested amassment of flesh.

but anyways, this is along the lines of the 'minibosses' that Warframe kind've needs to break up the horde of trash mobs. even the Heavy Units we have now, basically have become trash mobs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So basically this is the Rhino of the infestation, plus a first distance weapon,

Why, good sir! I hope you realize that the Infested have Electric and Lobber Crawlers that serve to provide diversity in the Inf- NEVARMIND THEY NEVAR SPAWN MUST BE MYTH CARRY ON.

Also, the Tenno are kinda related to the Infested by lore, so.... Rhino IS the Rhino of the Infestation lol. But I do take your point and it would be an interesting thing to add. Though really, a much easier fix would be to make the ranged crawlers that exist actually spawn from time to time. (Seriously! I've killed more Stalkers since U11 than I've ever encountered Lobbers.)

I like it but Infested are symbiotic than the cellular mutation you depicted. 

None the less it looks great.

Symbiosis implies equal lity, and as we see, the Infestation is not symbiotic. The Technocyte takes over it's hosts, making it parasitic instead of symbiotic. 

it seems a bit more mutated than normal, for a unit that is not ancient, but we do need more infested units, something that could make this more terrible is that corpus tech have shield osprey, so you could add an infested osprey that is conected to the body by flesh tissue but still floats or hangs by the body giving itself and infested allies shields. that´d make it a prime target.

Hmm reminds me of halo 3 the pure flood form at the spore mouth, anyways we need more range unit, and this fits.

BestiarumFlood.jpg

Dat design doe.

But seriously...that looks cool. Never played Halo myself so I didn't know these things existed.

It's Symbiotic as it was in Dark Sector.

Sadly, it isn't. It's an infection that gradually takes over its host. That's not symbiosis.

Dat design doe.

But seriously...that looks cool. Never played Halo myself so I didn't know these things existed.

Sadly, it isn't. It's an infection that gradually takes over its host. That's not symbiosis.

The Technocyte works by symbiotically attaching itself to a host then gradually entices the hosts mind to join the collective. Under that flesh is still the same human being he always was (unless of course the Technocyte needed a different form so body parts are usually shifted around to do so) it's just something has covered him and worked at his mind to become something he's not.

Besides, for Infested major mutations need other mass which is usually absorbed slowly. Infested can't mutate and make mass like flood do. They need to find another source to do so.

The Technocyte works by symbiotically attaching itself to a host then gradually entices the hosts mind to join the collective. Under that flesh is still the same human being he always was (unless of course the Technocyte needed a different form so body parts are usually shifted around to do so) it's just something has covered him and worked at his mind to become something he's not.

Besides, for Infested major mutations need other mass which is usually absorbed slowly. Infested can't mutate and make mass like flood do. They need to find another source to do so.

Let me start off by asking you this: what do you mean by symbiosis? I'd like to know your definition and understanding of it instead of us going back and forth with this debate.

And mutations can be made possible by restructuring the host's body, using their own mass to create new functions. My Heavy Unit uses the Tech's mass to create a spore production sac on it's back. The leftover biomass is used to create the limbs and legs. This wouldn't have been possible with a crewman because they don't have enough biomass.