Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Intercepted Corpus Transmission

Sparrohawk

Hello folks! The creative juices seized me this morning and compelled me to write this. I hope you enjoy. I welcome any comments or questions, provided they're civil. 

NB: The name of the vessel is a tribute to my favourite sci-fi author, Ian M. Banks, who died in 2013.

[bEGIN TRANSCRIPT]

[sUBJECT: Recent Tenno appearance on Corpus Capital Trade Vessel Non-Vagrant Profiteer owned by Varskan Kay resulting in neutralisation of localised Phorid-class Infestation]

Varskan Kay: Captain Nuk, I believe you have good news for me?

Nuk: Indeed, sir. The infestation has been neutralised and cleanup units are removing the last traces as of now.

VK: Captain, the details as of now are remarkably sketchy on how you resolved this situation, and I confess to smelling a rather foul rat in your omission of the particulars. 

N: I hired a Betrayer Cell, sir.

VK: You what?! Are you entirely mad? Nevermind that your descriptor is a rather telling reason not to hire the Betrayers in the first place, but the cost of such a contract is prohibitive!

N: Sir, the due dilligence is attached to my written report. The loss of a Capital-class trade vessel was a greater expense than the hire of a Cell to remove the source of the Infestation. Additionally, the trade goods en route, as well as your personal effects are now safe. 

VK: Well, as always, profit numbs the feeling. In this instance, the feeling is one of indignation and the questioning of your mental acuity.

N: Sir, drastic action was required. An entire pack of Hyena proxies and significant crew were lost in my initial attempts to quell the infestation, and while I was able to contain the threat momentarily, we both know that stopping a Phorid-class infestation requires a great deal more personel and resources than was available to me.

VK: . . . Very well. I shall have your full report now.

N: As of our previous communication, the Infestation remained contained, as we had opened several areas of the ship to vacuum causing significant reduction in their numbers. However, the Phorid itself remained active and thus Infestation continued. Our forces were insufficient to destroy the creature, and our sensors reported intermittent contacts at extreme range consistent with Tenno fightercraft. While I remain unsure as to the reason for their presence-

VK: Infestations have been reported in several areas around Neptune, Captain, and the Betrayers have been making a killing off several of my compatriots. That *@##$ Lotus negotiates well.

N: Indeed, sir. In any case, standard overtures were made via my personal proxy, which were rapidly accepted. Alas, time demands necessitated acceding to the increased payment demanded by this 'Lotus' entity-

VK: Yes, I'm reading the dilligence here. Captain, I contracted you to command my fleet for your martial understanding, and yet I am glad to see that your financial acumen remains intact under pressure. Consider that a compliment,

partially overshadowed by despair at the expense.

N: Uh, yes si-

VK: How many of those Void-twisted monstrosities were aboard my ship? I shall have to have it cleaned.

N: One, sir.

VK: Repeat yourself, and think very carefully towards ensuring your answer is factually correct, Captain.

N: *audible throat clearing* Sir, one Tenno boarded your vessel. Of an unknown type.

VK: . . . Unknown? 

N: Sir, the databases could not account for the nature of this lone Tenno-

VK: Do not call them that name, Captain. It taints our ancestors by association.

N: As you say, sir. Databases could not account for the nature of this creature. 

VK: Show me the video capture of this one, Captain. Right now.

[video FEED INITIATED]

[sTREAMING . . .]

[video FEED TERMINATED]

(Several moments of silence elapse)

N: Sir? Do you recognise it?

VK: Yes, indeed I do, Captain. As a salutory lesson, if nothing else.

N: Sir?

VK: Carry on with your report, Captain.

N: Sir. She - the female Betrayer - entered the vessel and proceeded to seek out the Phorid located in Engineering.

Several spy drones were assigned to trace her, discreetly.

VK: I didn't see that part of the video capture, Captain.

N: We only got her first engagement, sir. The drones were destroyed in the melee.

VK: So? Show me the footage.

N: Sir, the footage is-

VK: Hmm. Yes, nevermind. I'm well aware of how unsavoury it must be.

N: Sir, the Infested. . . they were torn apart!

VK: Yes, I can well imagine. Carry on.

N: I had managed to store a single spy drone near Phorid, deactivated and cloaked so as to possibly get some data on the creature. I was lucky enough to have it avoid detection by both the Betrayer and her quarry, and thus I managed to record their battle.

VK: And?

N: She. . . annihilated the creature, sir. Entirely. You are aware of what a Phorid is capable of, sir? Specifically the spines they can project that can, and indeed did, shred a Hyena proxy with a single shot?

VK: Yes. Vivid are my personal rememberances, Captain.

N: Sir, she. . . ignored them.

VK: She avoided them?

N: No, sir. She . . . allowed them to hit her. To no apparent effect! They didn't even slow her!

VK: I detect more than a modicum of fear and awe in your voice, Captain. Normally I take issue with such emotions in relation to the Betrayers, but in this instance it is entirely warranted. Anything else?

N: She tore the creature apart, sir. It was not surgical nor precise. It was frenzied. Its armour and bone may as well have been a crewman's smock. Once she had disposed of Phorid, she exited the vessel. Upon confirmation of credit transfer to her craft, we promptly lost all contact with it.

VK: Hmmm. Interesting.

N: Sir, she is a lone Betrayer. Should you order, we can pursue and overwhelm her-

VK: Stop that thought right there. Captain, you would be utterly appalled at how few upsides there are to a Betrayer of that type working alone. Simply put, she would not have to exercise discretion in where she aimed, should you attack. There is no profit in attempting to capture, rather than kill, a live Betrayer, especially one of that type.

N: Sir? I don't understand.

VK: Nuk, you've heard of the Zanuka Project and the fiasco thereafter?

N: Yes, sir. It was hard to ignore.

VK: Quite. Well, one thing you are not aware of - and this is not to go beyond this conversation - is that several Betrayers were experimented on and yet left intact by that snivelling power-hungry turd Alad V. They survived his experimentation and were liberated by their fellows. To a woman, they are berserkers and close combatants beyond compare, and they are almost impossible to stop. They are classed as Valkyr Warframes. Your database will reflect your added knowledge. To attack one, especially one alone, especially one capable of dismembering a Phorid infestation singlehandedly. . . well, let us simply say it would be unprofitable. Not to mention the aforementioned salutory lesson. Specifically in not trying to harness the power of the Betrayers until they lie dead to a woman and man. 

N: Yes sir. Even so, sir-

VK: Captain, is this your first direct interaction with a Betrayer?

N: Yes, sir. I-

VK: Then I shall make something clear. I like you, Captain. You are a profitable asset, one that I would hate to see meet his end due to a lack of experience in matters such as these. This advice, remarkably, is free. Call it a safety induction, if pedantry is a hobby of yours. Under no circumstances do you actively antagonise a Betrayer force unless you outnumber them fifty to one, possess an unimaginable tactical advantage and a clear reason for said antagonisation. Failure to meet all three of these criteria prior to engagement will result in a massive loss of resources, manpower and profit, as our dear idiotic compatriot in business Alad V has recently learned. On a more personal level, you may find your body atomised and your personality whisked away to locations unknown for reasons unknown. In the best case scenario, you'll be spitted on the end of some exquisite blade wielded by a mute killer of frightening proficiency. 

N: . . . I see, sir. I shall follow your advice to the letter.

VK: See that you do, Captain. Especially while you're in my employ, at least. Now get my ship here ASAP. Repair crews are waiting.

N: Yes sir. ETA 20 cycles.

[END TRANSCRIPT]

Thank you all!

I'm planning on writing some more, but I just got back to PhD-land and thus other writing must take precedence. When I get the time I may write some Grineer and Tenno conversations (I find action-based fanfics less fun to write).