Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] New Faction: Space Pirates

Vard

--DISCUSSION TOPIC--

(March 12 2014)

Please discuss whose concept art you like, and why

--ATTENTION--

I havent been keeping up with this thread as much as i used to, if you have made new space pirate concept art, Please try to message me INGAME or on the forums, and i will add a sample of your work to the main post.

----Space Pirates----

Now I don’t mean cartoonish sailors who talk like "YARR, AVAST YE MATEYS HOIST THE MAIN SAIL" and have parrots and frilly clothes. No, I mean space bandits, thieves and murderers.

These space pirates would often be found having forcefully boarded other spaceships,
This gives us an opportunity to see friendly space stations, and these missions would usually be Exterminate.

You know how Lotus will sometimes change your objective? Pirates will change your mission too. Every so often, some unlucky bunch of pirates will get the dim-witted idea to try to take over a ship with YOU onboard, in the middle of your mission.
Your objective would usually stay the same when this happens, but it would certainly spice things up to have pirates shooting up the place in a hectic 3-way fight

Also there would be missions where you board the pirate’s ships directly, which would be rusty, scrappy metal ships. These levels could have most of the standard mission types.

These pirates would use mostly light armor, sometimes heavy, and would possibly have a few more melee units than your typical enemy group. They would come with their own new weapons too. Some of which you could buy in the store or craft. I’m still not sure what exact types of weapons they should use, but they definitely need to have some of their own weapons, though others could obviously be stolen.

Things that the forums have suggested -

- A "parrot" sentinel. Perhaps shoulder mounted.
- These pirates would fight in a chaotic fashion. They enjoy the fight. They are cocky and take risks.
- They could scrap together armor from broken Grineer, corpus, and Tenno technology
- Maybe every once in a while, a pirate could let out a "YARR"
- Their ships could have solar sails 
- Players would see the pirates forcing their way in, Cutting open red doors, or feel the pirate ship ram the other ship, knocking everyone down and throwing everything into a mess.
-
-

LONG OVERDUE EDIT
------------------------------------------------------------

I NEED TO ADD MORE TO THIS MAIN POST BASED ON WHAT YOU GUYS WANT

- What would the pirates look like, POST CONCEPT ART
- What would their ships look like. POST CONCEPT ART
- What kind of original weapons would they have  POST IDEAS (concept art would be nice, but not necessary)
- How else would the pirates behave?
- Why exactly would the Tenno Fight these pirates
- Any other new things that would come with a Pirate Update (Warframes, Sentinels, etc)
- Anything else you think needs to be mentioned in this main post

Finally, some original Concept Art:
Courtosey of EVAtemplar117
oCO2e0K.jpg
sPzMeHz.jpg

These sketches are great, but i would love to see some fully detailed artwork! Can any of you do that?

More sketches from EVAtemplar117 on page 25 https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/15939-suggestion-new-faction-space-pirates/page-25

***NEW*** even more art from him here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/96803-update-aug18-3-post-concept-art-extravaganza/

Heres some art from BaronVonBiscuit
dd5b6f76-a823-41e5-a734-59449a7b4925_zps

LoveYourEnemy drew this
966410_501778879903701_1080857636_o.jpg
you can find more of his at https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/97220-concept-art-illustration-space-pirates-inspired-by-vard/

ValhaHazred had this concept art for the pirates and a pirate sentinel
f5lh.jpg
parrotab.jpg
Hard to say if i have any favorites out of these concept arts, but they are all originally made, just for this forum, by talented warframe players. Any well done concept art deserves a place here.

I HAVENT BEEN WATCHING THIS THREAD IN A LONG TIME, if you have made good space pirate concept art, Please try to message me INGAME or on the forums, and i will add a sample to the main post

-
-
-

----------NON-ORIGINAL concept art-----
art from other games/movies,  etc.

as ValhaHazred pointed out,The "Scurvies" from Bulletstorm look pretty cool, Maybe warframe pirates could look something like this?
bulletstorm_space_pirates_by_johnmccambr

Think you can make some original concept art too? Post it on this forum and I might add it to the first post

Edited by Vard
  • Like 4

Space Pirates vs. Space Ninjas!.... Now all we need is Dodgeball!

And yes, i am COMPLETELY +100 for that idea. Another faction in this game that is just a bunch of ruffians shooting stuff without a semblance of order? Awesome! Make it happen!... Space Ninjas need their Space Pirates!... Also, why not go the Cartoonish route? It would STILL be awesome as hell!

Edited by ReiganCross
  • Like 1

I'd prefer not going down the cartoonish route as it'd ruin the games atmosphere. The game has a pretty awesome creepy/cold atmosphere right now and I like that alot. Space pirates I think I'd be fine with (obviously not if they had eye patches and crap) in teh context that they're just renegades stealing from the oppressive grineer and the monopoly's of the corpus.

Quick note about no semblence of order, most pirates were actually former navy vets and were actually very well trained :b

• Like 1

I said specifically that these would NOT be cartoony pirates.

just space criminals really

altho i had the idea that maybe they might have sentries that sit on their shoulders. You can guess what they might be called

Edited by Vard

Perhaps someday players could get their own personal ships to fight these pirates..... Star Wars the Old Republic did it well as an optional side game.

The rewards for ship battles would be purely cosmetic, such as weapon reskins, or upgrades for your shiip.

I doubt that will happen though. But it might be neat to have a personal ship to walk around in and use storage containers / store terminals instead of the menus.

Edited by Vard

Perhaps someday players could get their own personal ships to fight these pirates..... Star Wars the Old Republic did it well as an optional side game.

The rewards for ship battles would be purely cosmetic, such as weapon reskins, or upgrades for your shiip.

I doubt that will happen though. But it might be neat to have a personal ship to walk around in and use storage containers / store terminals instead of the menus.

No, Star Wars the Old Republic DID NOT did the Space Ship minigame well... Hell that thing was S#&$ -.-'... Hope to never see that goddamned game again.

I think the idea of space pirates is pretty good. I can imagine fighting one of the current factions and getting interrupted by space pirates.

Why not make them extremely hard? And no, not the ancients' stunlock hard, I mean hard-hitters that are agile assassins - almost like the Tenno.

Something like

?

(it's too bad stalkers already exist. :c )

That would make them too similar to Tenno, as you said yourself Tauxi... What i'm thinking here is people with make-shift military equipment and a lot moire of reckless abandon. They would have pieced-together space suits and scraped weaponry. Hell, maybe they could even be the last remnant of the real human race of the Sol System, kind of giving them a "Rebelious Resistance" vibe. Though truth be told, anything from here on would be me trying to push more Roleplaying into the game.

I'm just saying, i imagine Space Pirates not as a super-organized almost military-like force as in Metroid Prime, more like a band of Orks from Warhammer 40k! I just love those damn Orks!

That would make them too similar to Tenno, as you said yourself Tauxi... What i'm thinking here is people with make-shift military equipment and a lot moire of reckless abandon. They would have pieced-together space suits and scraped weaponry. Hell, maybe they could even be the last remnant of the real human race of the Sol System, kind of giving them a "Rebelious Resistance" vibe. Though truth be told, anything from here on would be me trying to push more Roleplaying into the game.

I'm just saying, i imagine Space Pirates not as a super-organized almost military-like force as in Metroid Prime, more like a band of Orks from Warhammer 40k! I just love those damn Orks!

Its hard not to love those orks, <====>)+========+>

One Piece vs Naruto? So where the Bleach and Fairy tail..

Forget what I said.

Vard your wish is granted. There is an enemy call Stalker which appear out of dark smoke in any mission. Kill him before he get you.

By the way I love the 3 way fighting. There is 3 faction Grineer, Corpus and Infested.

Yes Lotus sometime will change mission objective which I think is very good.

Example 1:

So maybe we are now in a Grineer Spy mission to collect some data.

Than suddenly Infested came in and destory anything it run into (including attacking the Grineer)

So Grineer will attack them and attack us at the same time, More like 3 way battle.

Our mission is still to retrived the data.

But If the Infested manage to destory the data before we could steal the data, We failed the mission.

Example 2:

We in a rescue mission at Corpus.

Our objective is to rescue the hostages.

But sunndenly Grineer appear and also aiming to reccue or kill the hostages.

So we have to find the hostages fast and rescues them before Grineer make the way first.

But Corpus wouldn't be sitting there, they will Kill whoever stand in their base.

Our mission is to rescue the hostages.

If the Grineer make their way first and kill it, we will failed the mission.

Example 3

Defense mission at Corpus.

While defense the POD from Corpus, Grineer and Infested appear.

All 3 rush to attack the POD. all poor tennos have to protect the POD from all enemies.

^ Quite nice ideas there.

I do agree that some pirates/raider would be quite cool. Would also add a different set of weapons that look like they're made out of scraps and put together.

While we have the Gorgon and Kraken as Grineer weapons and the reverse engineered Sentinels from Corpus im sure we could get some cool stuff from them too.

ps: Speaking about corpus, I still want one of their rifles.

Map layout wise it would be pirate freighters that have stolen goods or randomly came across some artifacts without knowing.

Hidden bases like underground caverns used as a hideout and alike.

Edited by FenrisSilverfang

Screw you, I want frilly space pirates with cyborg parrots who speak only in cliche terms like "Yohoo blow the man down!" And when you open their cargo boxes rum spills out!

/pirate mode off

On a serious note, I would actually like to know more about our elusive space fungus ie "infestation". And perhaps flesh out the Grineer and the other faction a bit. We could simply add more nuance rather than an entirely new faction.

Edited by Kriegson

On a serious note, I would actually like to know more about our elusive space fungus ie "infestation". And perhaps flesh out the Grineer and the other faction a bit. We could simply add more nuance rather than an entirely new faction.

Why can't we have both?