Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Shock Unit - Centurion Biped

[DE]Artarrwen

Hello. I'm not the only one who would love to see a heavy Corpus unit, am I? Here's an idea of what it might look like. Tried to be as elaborate as if it already was in the game.

Centurion is a humanoid biped, originally intended for terrorism and riot control within the Corpus colonies.

Due to severe losses in recent events (numerous Infestation outbreaks, war with the Grineer), Corpus engineers issued several software and hardware upgrades to the original model, transforming it into a shock unit, in order to make it feasible for military service and thus minimize the losses of human personnel as well as compensate for the lack of crewmen capable of soldier duty.

With support from smaller and numerous MOAs, they pose a serious threat in close quarters, while out in the open they can be taken down fairly easily if prioritized.

Equipment:

1.Defensive

-Heavy, quickly regenerating shielding.

-Approximately once in a minute, an additional protection layer can be rendered if needed. Works similarly to Rhino's Iron Skin.

2.Offensive:

-Corpus Flak cannon.

-Telescopic stun prod.

-Self-destruction mechanisms are engaged if the unit is neutralized during assault (as in, charging towards the enemy and, ideally, far away from fellow Corpus). This procedure only occurs if the CPU is intact (as in, the head)

-"Iron Skin" explodes upon depletion, knocking down foes.

Behavior:

As a shock unit, Centurion would charge towards the enemy as soon as it spots one, firing its Flak repeatedly. Its sprint speed is higher than that of MOAs, however, during charge its legs are vulnerable (unless protected by the "iron skin" thingy) and shooting one with enough power will stagger the biped.

Up close, it would extend its stun baton and go melee. It would attack in quick combos of 2 swings and one thrusting motion, which, if successful, stuns the target for 4 seconds.

Another option is a shoulder bash. Centurion runs with one shoulder ahead of the other. Upon reaching the enemy, it knocks them down with a powerful swipe and then unloads a full Flak magazine upon an incapacitated victim.

Sometimes these units operate in squads of two. While one of them charges towards the enemy, the other one will maintain a distance of approximately 10 meters away from target and suppress them by shooting the Flak repeatedly, drawing attention.

As soon as it loses its shields, it would apply an "Iron Skin" layer on itself (looks like holographic armor plating). It would also do that upon spotting an enemy.

Without any shields and armor, Centurion is an easy target for anti-robotic weaponry (radiation, electricity, puncture).

As mentioned above, Centurion would self-destruct if both of following conditions are met:

-Centurion is far enough away from organic Corpus units

-Centurion was not killed with a headshot

Explosion has moderate radius and deals at least 200 Blast damage (depends on level, high-level units can kill some of unmodded level 30 warframes with one such explosion).

There is a slight delay between the moment of death and explosion, which gives a chance to minimize the damage.

Stats:

Proto Shield - 1000

Robotic - 200

Considered a heavy/special unit. Spawns at all Corpus locations except Venus (with the exception of Survival/Defense missions).

Predominant heavy/special unit type during Invasions. (Outnumbers Techs and Fusion MOAs)

In defense missions they start appearing during and after wave 10 as a rare/uncommon unit.

In survival missions they spawn at about 15 minutes mark. (earlier for t2 and t3).

Supposed to replace/complement Prod Crewmen as a melee unit as well as add to Corpus' poor selection of heavy units and units with stun capabilities.

Centurions stand slightly lower than Corpus Techs.

Concept art:

Was going for "what would a humanoid MOA look like", hence the head.

b6al.png

(here it wields a Drakgoon because the concept was made a few days before the Drakgoon release and the author believed it would be a Corpus weapon.)

Sure, any comments or suggestions are more than welcome.

UPD: 25.01.2014 The v2.0 of the Centurion is in the works. In the meantime, here's a Flante Shotgun concept which will, one day, move to its own thread.

flante_shotgun_by_artarrwen-d73mdq2.png

^clickable

Edited by Artarrwen

much jackal feel on the head, very good job.

Haha, that is true. I can feel that vibe from it's head and legs, jackal looking, but it makes sense because it can run pretty fast and ram you like no tomorrow. 

Very good idea, would add a different element to a large fight with some Corpus, just to hear this guys big feet stomping everywhere.

Love the artwork on that beastly figure. Makes it somewhat intimidating :D

In place of the Prod Crewman, the Centurion on paper seems to do a lot more than it should (which is never a bad thing). Not only is it the first Melee/Close range Corpus unit, but it kind of fits more with the lore (I have no idea why the Corpus would sacrifice themselves by melee'ing Tenno D:)

The Flak Cannon and his abilities really solidify his role. I love the Holographic Armor (Sounds reminiscent of Tech Armor from Mass Effect) and his self-destruct feature. Really nice additions to keep players on their toes.

I would suggest however that while they are charging, shooting the legs will stagger or trip them (whichever seems more fitting), exposing themselves momentarily. But for the rest of the idea, it's pretty good.

I like the idea and the overall "Jackal-ish" feel, but... it seems kind of scrawny in places. I love the upper torso and head, but from the waist down it seems a little thin. The lower arms feel a bit scrawny, too... but if I pretend that flak cannon is it's lower arm instead of held in it, that side looks a lot more proportional, and much more intimidating.

I like the idea and the overall "Jackal-ish" feel, but... it seems kind of scrawny in places. I love the upper torso and head, but from the waist down it seems a little thin. The lower arms feel a bit scrawny, too... but if I pretend that flak cannon is it's lower arm instead of held in it, that side looks a lot more proportional, and much more intimidating.

Well, he is supposed to be an agile unit that closes the gap between his enemies. Considering that the Centurion is a repurposed Riot unit, this kind of makes sense. Plus, it gives a somewhat obvious weakpoint to spot out.

I see you guys really dig this. Wow.

Any male Grineer soldier has disproportionately thin legs and looking at them I can't believe they can even stand on those, left alone walk and run with guns blazing, but they do.

If I have enough time I might do another artwork, and I'll see what I can do about its arms. Now that I look at it, they do seem a bit tiny.

Love the artwork on that beastly figure. Makes it somewhat intimidating :D

In place of the Prod Crewman, the Centurion on paper seems to do a lot more than it should (which is never a bad thing). Not only is it the first Melee/Close range Corpus unit, but it kind of fits more with the lore (I have no idea why the Corpus would sacrifice themselves by melee'ing Tenno D:)

The Flak Cannon and his abilities really solidify his role. I love the Holographic Armor (Sounds reminiscent of Tech Armor from Mass Effect) and his self-destruct feature. Really nice additions to keep players on their toes.

I would suggest however that while they are charging, shooting the legs will stagger or trip them (whichever seems more fitting), exposing themselves momentarily. But for the rest of the idea, it's pretty good.

Holographic Armor is kind of similar to Tech Armor from Mass Effect, yes, namely, from the second one.

And by saying "temporarily stop" I did in fact mean "stagger", just weirdly phrased. I think it would look too silly if they were tripped by a shot in their legs.. all the "took an arrow to the knee" jokes and just plain silliness, as if it was a contemporary real-life prototype robot that can't even stand still on ice.

Kekekekelet looks like you'll have to change that Flak Cannon idea. DE redid it to be a Grineer weapon. :P

This could get you started on a double concept: Corpus Plasma Shotgun! (We've been asking for it for quite a while).

Since your somewhat familiar with Mass Effect, I suggest inspiration from the GPS (Geth Plasma Shotty).

EDIT: Or, since the Centurion is a repurposed Riot unit, the Force Gun from Dead Space (I'm actually brainstorming ideas for it right now! such excite).

Edited by DarknightK

Kekekekelet looks like you'll have to change that Flak Cannon idea. DE redid it to be a Grineer weapon. :P

This could get you started on a double concept: Corpus Plasma Shotgun! (We've been asking for it for quite a while).

Since your somewhat familiar with Mass Effect, I suggest inspiration from the GPS (Geth Plasma Shotty).

EDIT: Or, since the Centurion is a repurposed Riot unit, the Force Gun from Dead Space (I'm actually brainstorming ideas for it right now! such excite).

Yeah.. the Drakgoon Flak.. dammit.

Well, it is essentially a Grineer GPS without homing it isn't, just tried it out.

I'll think of something for Corpus shotty.

Edited by Artarrwen

an anti-riot unit right? why doesnt he/it have a riot shield with knockdown?

A -repurposed- riot unit/counter-terrorist, mind you.

Also, riot shields in games like this just make no goddamn sense, lore-wise.

We already have those shield-wielding Grineer weirdos anyway.

Edited by Artarrwen

• 2 weeks later...

this looks freaking sweet. 

i recommend not locking things by planet, but rather level. so it would appear at level 15 perhaps?

i see your note on possible changes. i'll simply mention the hands seem a bit small for such a big robot.

and i suppose it could draw a little more inspiration from MOA's :>

i'm thinking of the Fanny Pack, the Laser Gun (Corpus Flak Cannon could resemble that gun), and the chicken feet. ^^

v2.0 of the Centuiron is on its way! Kinda busy right now, thus the delay.

In the meanwhile, here's a concept of a Corpus Shotgun that Centurions will be equipped with.

flante_shotgun_by_artarrwen-d73mdq2.png

^clickable

Once I'm done with the description and stats of the gun, I'll make a separate thread for it.

this looks freaking sweet. 

i recommend not locking things by planet, but rather level. so it would appear at level 15 perhaps?

i see your note on possible changes. i'll simply mention the hands seem a bit small for such a big robot.

and i suppose it could draw a little more inspiration from MOA's :>

i'm thinking of the Fanny Pack, the Laser Gun (Corpus Flak Cannon could resemble that gun), and the chicken feet. ^^

thanks!

the thing is this is the way how enemies are distributed between levels, (at least hot it's shown in the Codex) they seem to be locked to certain planets.

This one will spawn regardless of the planet for certain game modes - like Endless Defense, Survival, Invasion, alerts and events. Outside those, they normally appear from Mars onwards.

Also, yes, the chicken feet are there. They were there from the beginning but it's not really obviously noticeable on the first concept.

Edited by Artarrwen