Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbras - The Shadow Manipulator.

Seraphea

Hey there. So I've been toying with this shadow 'frame lately.

It's still very sketchy, as in appart from some ideas for the abilities, I haven't had much thought on polarities or starting stats. And the abilities still need a bit of refining, namely on the actual values.

Anyhoo the abilities would be as follow:

Shadow Treachery (25) - the target shadow immobilizes and/or stuns periodically its owner. If the target dies while under the effect, it can transfer/refresh on a new target in range of the original target.
Range affects the on death transfer effect.
Duration affects the ability duration.
Power not aplicable.

Note: DOT damage is also a possibility/added effect. If so Power could affect it.
Note2: Might be possible to cast multiple instances of the ability, but on diferent targets. Same target is also a possibility but would have a cap on how many instances of the ability the target could have.
Note3: If the effect refreshs itself on the new target, then a maximum jump limit should be implemented. Just to avoid an hypothetical limitless number of shadows jumping around on a limitless number of spawning enemies. This maximum could be affected by Power or Range.

---------------------------

Shadow Melt (50) - escape mechanic. Melts with own shadow ignoring knockbacks and/or turning invulnrable for the duration. Cannot atack. Jumping cancels the effect. Possible damage/defence buff after jumping out?
Duration increases the effect duration.
Range not applicable.
Power affects the possible buff bonus.

---------------------------

Night Shadow (75) - utility mechanic. Turns "x" ranged area "pitch black" lowering enemy defences and awareness for "x" time. 
Duration affects the ability duration.
Range affects the area of the ability.
Power affects the ability debuffs.

Note: Could be interesting to have the warframes switch to a night vision mode while under the duration.
Note2: Might also be interesting to have the owner or squad have a melee damage buff while inside the effect.

-------- OR -------------

Inner Shadow (75) - utility mechanic. Expands your own shadow, lowering enemy defences and awareness for x time while inside your shadow.
Range affects the area of the ability.
Power affects the ability debuffs.

Note: Being it your own shadow, the effect area would follow you.
<<Night Shadow notes also apply here>>

---------------------------------

And the 4th ability. While the general idea is the same on both options (generating shadows to fight your enemies), the process is diferent:

--option a:
One of Many (100) - Sence your enemie shadows around you (tracks on radar. But optional). You then project "x" shadow copies of your own to atack them for "x" time/atack swings.
Duration afects the shadows duration/number of atacks.
Power increased the shadows damage. Could increase the maximum number of shadows spawned.
Range the initial area of effect, might also affect maximum number of shadows spawned?

Note: Having a maximum number of shadows you can generate, makes it possible that there would be enemies without a shadow atacking it.
Note2: If a shadow target dies, it can switch to a new affected/marked target.
Note3: All shadows could converge on a single target, provided there is no more elegible targets.
Note4: All shadows teleport to the targets.
Note5: Thinking way off my head, but the shadows could copy any atack speed mods on Umbras melee weapon to increase it's own atack speed.

--option b:
One of Many (100) - Projects shadow clones of all the targets in reach. The shadows atack their targets for "x" time/atack swings.
Duration afects the shadows duration/number of atacks.
Power increased the shadows damage.
Range the initial area of effect.

Note: Shadows wouldn't teleport to a new target as with option a.
Note2: <<Same as option a Note5>>

General Note: I'm still unsure if the shadows would deal "x" atacks and then vanish or keep atacking until the duration ends.
General Note2: Due to the shadows ethereal nature, projectiles would punch through them like they were never there.

Synergie Ideas:

While this is just an idea and you can see more as an extra and not really necessary, it's still an interesting thought:

- due to the nature of Inner/Night Shadow, it could alter your other skills while active:

- Shadow Treachery - All targets affected by Inner/Night Shadow would be affected by Shadow Treachery, effectively making it into an AOE ability. Target transfering would be disabled in this mode.

- Shadow Melt - Instead of making yourself invulnerable and not being able to atack, instead teleports you to anywhere where Inner/Night Shadow is affecting. You would also get the possible damage/defence buffs.

- One of Many - Option a: instead of generating copies of your shadow, the ability deals half the total damage it would deal on a single target to all the targets inside Inner/Night Shadow. Would also prematurely end Inner/Night Shadow.

- Option b: Same as option a but would deal full damage.                     

And this would be Umbras ability draft. Also stats wise I'm still thinking how to proceed. I was thinking in something along slightly above average shields, average armor, nice enough energy pool (for constant shadow manipulating) and low health (considering his/her escape mechanic).

Also thought on a V polarity for Steel charge. But a - works too for syphon. 

Any suggestions/ideas?

---- EDIT ----- : A new take on Night Shadow (named Inner Shadow). Some clarification on the 4th ability options. The Night/Inner Shadow synergie idea with the other abilities. A couple of typos fixed.

Edited by Seraphea

I like that you have avoided the 'Shadow = Evil = Offense' stereotype that is present in most games, and came up with a support/utility frame. Furthermore, many fun ideas for an offensive Light-based Warframe come to mind to thematically oppose this Shadowframe of yours.

After some thought might rename the 4th ability (One of Many) to Inner Shadow, since Umbra is the "inner" darkest part of a shadow.

Also might add to the 4th option b) an aggro component. This would make the affected targets atack their own shadow, but since shadows can't be harmed, the targets would be effectively out of combat.

Also thinking in renaming the 3rd ability (since Inner Shadow name is moving for the 4th). Trying to come up with something as seen from the outside. Imagine the typical grineer, talking S#&amp;&#036; about the other grineer mothers, and sudently, an ominous shadow enveloping everything coming towards them. What would you call such a thing? Enveloping Shadow? Omnious Shadow? Ideas?

Still trying to figure durations and ranges as well.

For the 3rd, if I go for the first option (stationary) I'd think that the area of effect should be bigger than if the shadow would emanate and follow you.

Also while I thought it could turn the whole room dark so I didn't have to worry about the range, it's also a bad choise, since room sizes vary a lot.

So.. again.. suggestions?

Not bad :o Artarrwen

I like it! Would be nice to see a full frame sketch of it ^^

Anyway been thinking on ze ability numbers. Here's the first ability proposed.

Shadow Treachery (25) - the target shadow immobilizes its owner for 3.5/5/6.5/8 seconds, stunning every 3 seconds for 1 second and damaging periodically for 25/50/75/100 slash damage. If the target dies while under the effect, it can refresh on a new target in range of the original target.
Range affects the on death transfer effect.
Power increases the DOT damage.

Note1: Possible to be recast on the same target up to a maximum of 2 times while the original effect is still active. The casts are independent between each other.
Note2: Each new cast can only transfer once to a new target if the original target dies while under the effect.
Note3: Duration affects negatively and positively. Alla Trinity the DOT part will be dealt only 4 times. Increasing duration would spread the time between the DOT further but would also increased the immobilization time and proc more stuns.
Note4: 1st and 4th DOT segments deal their damage at the start and end of the effect. 2nd at 1/3 of the duration time and 3rd at 2/3s.
Note5: Transfer range of 5/7/9/11 meters.

--- EDIT ---: forgot to add note5.
Edited by Seraphea

• 1 year later...

Woooah, Nice art, but patent it or something if you can. I'm not sure if you can patent warframe related ideas, but you could, sell this for money. (The drawing) Just saying this for your advice, mail the drawing to yourself, first, which protects you from fraud, then you could patent.

Shadow Treachery sounds like a great paralysis. Maybe with a debuff? Or at least a damage over time effect. I kind of like the idea of making them shoot other enemies and having a turrent. Maybe as an aug.

Shadow melt kinda sounds dull. Maybe if you got a special weapon like if your shadow form shot darkness at people or at least use regular weapons with increased damage or maybe just a convert (no finisher multiplier) to finisher... Or just make it damage enemies close to him.

I vote inner shadow since for the most part this guy seems to focus on himself.

The second version of one of many sounds better. Maybe an augment for them to have the first strike being counted as a stealth attack.

Also I don't think he should have low health unless his invulnerability heals him but then it would seem like a hysteria copy.

His stats aren't extraordinary either so I think he could get away with average health.

How fast is he?

Edited by (PS4)inuyasha279