Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New Mod System And Experimentation With Builds

NDroid

One of the strengths of the old Mod system was that it allowed us to experiment with different builds fairly easily. A build consisted of the nodes you picked (if it was a frame, weapons had you just pick all the nodes) and the mods you chose to place which were the defining traits for a build. You could swap out mods for a reasonable price and try out different builds to see which one suits you best or adapt your frame to using different weapon types.

With the new system, builds consist of the mods you choose and rank to which you upgrade them so that they all fit into the 60 point (if supercharged) limit. This leads to some tough choices- do I get 50% more health, 40% shields or perhaps some extra power range. The idea itself is fine but the problem is that mods cannot be downgraded so once you've upgraded your mod you're stuck with that rank. To try a different build you'll have to rank up another mod of the same type to a lower rank which is both inefficient and very expensive.

A possible solution for this would be to tweak the current system in a way that allows you to choose which rank you want your mod to function on, provided it's identical or lower than the one you've upgraded it to. If you upgraded your mod to rank 10 for example you can have it function as a rank 8 mod if you want. This will give people an incentive to upgrade their mods to higher ranks so they can experiment with different builds for weapons and warframes. Choosing a different rank for the mod to function in could cost some credits like in the old system to balance things out.

What do you think?

Come on guys stop being Lazy,

you all know that on a long period you ll end up with at least all card in twice or more...

Dont try to lower the life of the game

Also the fact that you need too manage with the card stats

force you to think before maxing out everything brainlessly

Edited by Tsoe

Wait, there's more than 1 build?

I thought it was just max dps on weapons and max survivability + runspeed + your best powers on frames..

There's another way to build? Like what?

lol

---

Well yeah. If you max every single mod card you own you won't be able to equip 8 mod cards, even into a fully supercharged weapon! So you have to decide, for example, do I want my health mod or my armour mod at rank 7?

Come on guys stop being Lazy,

you all know that on a long period you ll end up with at least all card in twice or more...

Dont try to lower the life of the game

Also the fact that you need too manage with the card stats

force you to think before maxing out everything brainlessly

Sure it makes you consider your choices but it prohibits creativity and experimentation. Part of what makes the game fun is trying out different playstyles and the new system really limits that. If previously I felt encouraged to try and get new mods to play with, now I just think of the grind it would take to craft a new mod and wonder if it's worth it just to try something a little different that I may not end up liking.

It has to do with the difference between loot-driven gameplay (which I personally enjoy more) vs. a grind-driven one. The old system was more loot-driven so making small changes to ease the grind of the new one would be welcome.

lol 'lazy'

the game is already like this in functional terms, it just has a stunningly clunky interface. The time wasted unplugging all your mods, switching suit, finding them and plugging them back in is the only 'gameplay' added by this.

Presumably adding a bulk buy option for consumables is also a lazy request that will shorten the game's life?

imho they either follow the card metaphor more and do as the OP suggests, or I think it'd be just as good if they keep it as it is at present but reduce the fusion cost scaling (by a lot) for mods with more than 5 fusion ranks.

On your character's mod screen there are little symbols in the top right corner of each mod. If you place the mod somewhere with the same symbol it costs less points. If you place it somewhere that has a different symbol it will cost more points. I can't really explain it, so these screenshots may help a little.

As you can see this mod requires 10 points, but I only have 6 left.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2nbg5c2.png

But when I place it where it has the same symbol, it only requires half the points.

http://i47.tinypic.com/zxpq0.png

Not sure if anyone else noticed this and if you can use 8 maxed mods.

Edited by BaboYa

It's hard to notice such a thread without a proper title.. lol I've suggested the same yesterday. so +1

I believe the "mod capacity" becomes painfully restricting as you upgrade and level up your mods through fusion, what I'm suggesting is that we should be able to downgrade them as we like, rather than having duplicates of the same mods in your inventory reserved for only few certain weapons. You get 30 mod capacity per weapon and warframe you own, 60 if you upgrade it with Orokin Reactor/Catalyst. So if I have lots of high level mods, I can't equip them all for the sake of balancing, which is quite fine but then I have to sacrifice certain things completely.

I'm talking about an optional limit, the ability to make your level 5 Redirection mod a level 2 Redirection mod so that it uses less power or whatever it's supposed to be, letting you use a different mod or sort your mods however you like. Nothing permanent though, you should be able to remove the limit as we like as long as it's within the limits of our current mod capacity. It would make sense since it costs an awful lot to make decent mods, and even more effort to find most of them.

[suggestion] Limiting/Downgrading Mods

I want this to be a thing so badly. Sadly I don't see it happening as it removes the need to have more than 1 copy of any mod which may reduce the replayability for some.

Still heres hoping the Devs take your idea on board OP.

Replayability? I prefer to call it OMG ITS SO GRINDY, ENOUGH ALREADY. Ahem, excuse my caps, but mods are somewhat hard to come by for a casual gamer, not that many people would be willing to farm mods 24/7 till they've got the decent stuff and it's not exactly fun to play without them unless you're content with playing the same first 4 planets over and over. And you're forced to collect duplicate mods for the sole reason of balance, that is a massive inconvenience.

I don't need a frustrating grinding mechanic to have an incentive to play the game, its already quite fun and replayable since most of the missions are the copies of each other more or less. It's discouraging if anything, definitely not adding anything to replayability in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we should be able to downgrade our mods by fusing with a different polarity mods, it would down it more or less according to the rarity of the mod

sorry for my english

Edited by SjharQa