Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weap] Rapier

_Chaser

so,

Basically, Rapier showcased at Dev stream 54 is too short from functional and authentic points of view.

If it could be revised and the blade made longer, it will function and look much better and be more authentic to an actual rapier.

I'm pretty sure refferences are unlikely needed, however:

edited +53% length of rapier added with %lines, obiously real rapiers are even longer due to scale of tenno rapier handle and the real ones, so this is a bare minimum, ideally it should be 65-70%
rpr.PNG

Mechanics

since we are about to get charge mechanics back and have parry, we seriously need some rapiers

WEAPON GENERAL BEHAVIOUR
----------------------------------------------------------------
 | Attack animation   | Lunges/thrusts FORWARD only 
 | Multi-hit          | YES     
 | Range              | LONG        
All attacks are single-targeted (thrusts/lunges forward only), but if enemies stand in line, you can penetrate them. 

DAMAGE
---------------------------------------------
 Impact                  |  0
| Armor Piercing    | high
| Slash                   | small
Rapiers are meant to penetrate armor/personnel mostly. Tiny portion of slash damage just for kicks.

ANIMATION

---------------------------------------------------------------
|    Attack type   |      Damage     |     Animation      |
normal             | low                   |fast thrust attack |
charged           | high                  | lunging attack   |
parry               | insane               | riposte attack    |
| slide attack      | high                  | lunging attack    |
| wall attack        | normal              | lunging attack   |

ALL animations are Lunges/Thrusts.

Edited by -Solid_Snake

I'm not sure Rapier is the right term for this kind of sword--Foil would be better. But for the weapon concept itself and nitpicking aside, +1. Could be good with the new melee 2.0, and I would definitely use it.

Edited by Siubijeni

I'm not sure Rapier is the right term for this kind of sword--Foil would be better. 

Rapier's the proper term. A fencing foil or "épée" is much thinner and has no slashing edge; it's a practice sword.

Also for consideration:

- Attack speed and Charge speed should be insane (there are few things faster than an Olympic fencer's blade); take roughly Dual Zoren's speed and remove the slingshot from spin-attacks

- Normal combo should weigh Piercing and Slash pretty evenly, low- to mid-base damage, having a much wider cone of attack than charge combos (think Drakgoon), almost no Impact

- Charge attacks should be almost exclusively Piercing damage on forward thrusts; I'd say charge damage should rival Galatine (slightly lower with higher speed and a smaller area of damage to compensate)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

the other thing i would say is with a rapier there is really little slash i whoudl replace it with impact damage for only the tip cuts so the rest of the blade just sortta slaps, and there are gaurd strikes so yeah low impacy instead if slash cause trying to slash with a raiper is kind of crap..
i would also like to see a parrying dagger comboed with this for a single target disarm effect to go with the new pvp sinjce meele seems to be prevelent there sortta like the nami solo & nami skyla

Edited by iscofield

I'm not sure Rapier is the right term for this kind of sword--Foil would be better. But for the weapon concept itself and nitpicking aside, +1. Could be good with the new melee 2.0, and I would definitely use it.

Rapier is correct. Foil is used to competitive fencing, and is designed to bend, along with not being sharp.

the other thing i would say is with a rapier there is really little slash i whoudl replace it with impact damage for only the tip cuts so the rest of the blade just sortta slaps, and there are gaurd strikes so yeah low impacy instead if slash cause trying to slash with a raiper is kind of crap..

i would also like to see a parrying dagger comboed with this for a single target disarm effect to go with the new pvp sinjce meele seems to be prevelent there sortta like the nami solo & nami skyla

Slash would be the next use of a Rapier. Puncture, obviously first. Impact really wouldn't apply. Impact, in Warframe, generally refers to blunt weapons (weapons without blades) I also base this off the Saber used in fencing which can be used for blade (non point) strikes. Of course whether it is Slash or Impact neither would be effective, as even slashes on pure flesh would not be heavy wounds. When slashing with a Saber, it is generally the very tip that is moved across the target, leaving roughly and inch to two cut. Using a Rapier like a katana would not hold up due to the thinness / weakness of the blade.

a main gauge would pair with the Rapier.

mhmm i agree but there are raiper manuales that talk about hitting with the cross gaurd  and punching with hand gaurd if the distance is close i'm just saying to have a secondry damage type which almost all weapons do even if it's tiny and unimportant i'm just stateing that the impact would be... more effective than trying to slash with the point of a rapier~? speicly cause at worst useing it like a katana would whip the blade to slap the oppnent and well yeah in my head that is impact~  i just don't see them eer makeing this weapon if it ONLY had puncture.

i know rapiers "can" slash but you really shouldn't since the damage is superficial at best and it;s a waste and it would be just the point since that the only part that can and it would be soooo small that it's irrevilent where as the few and situational but actualy useful forms can implement impact  to create space between you and the enemy to get the point between you and them and stagger them more offten in real life but thats just my opninion.  so i would want the point to do alot of damage but if the enemy in behind the point inb the animation so you can't easily "pirce" them you lose alot of damage so for the solo rapier i would like one combo where you jump backwards to get the point between you and your target again almost an element of skill. unless of corse you hae the dagger where that combo lunges forward again but with the dagger so you get the puncture damage with that

Edited by iscofield

OH MY GOD YES! i originaly thought the ether sword was a rapier because the art is a bit weird and was so disappointing when i found out it wasnt. i would love a rapier weapon in game, with a fast pinpoint mechanic so you had to aim where you poke the sword for extra damage.

• 2 months later...