Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur Chavant Maquette: Wip!

DOXOlove

Several weeks ago I was fiddling with an Excalibur Orthographic (maybe some people remember!), and that was for this maquette project for a sculpture class I'm taking!

Also a hugehuge thank you to DE's lead artists for entertaining my request for their own orthographics, it really means a lot to me that you'd help me out with that!! While I will still use the drawing I did for basic form proportion, I'm def using DE's orthos for accurate detailing. I hope I can do him justice :)

Sculpting with medium Chavant Plasticine (basically a clay with high 'wax' content), he's a little over 20 inches in height (~1/4 scale).

Orthograph (drawn by me) :

orthoexca.jpg

ortho was printed to scale, so now I have this awesome 35"x45" poster I use for form blocking. :D

WIP shots: (sorry for bad phone photos! will take better ones when its more 'finished')

Armature-
basic hardware store nipples and connectors, soft wires of various gauges, copper sliding rods and epoxy. The best thing about this particular armature is it has 100% mannequin pose-ability with all joints!

1.jpg2.jpg

Skeletal form-
First go at skeletal form before we had an extensive apex lecture;

3.jpg5.jpg

Silhouette frame blocking-
Working on it this week-- This is going to drastically change, but getting the feel for the form! was trying to fiddle with armor texture a bit but I'm probably gunna take that off and just do the basic muscle forms for now :p

6.jpg

Excalibur will be holding an MK-Braton 1 on his shoulder at some point and his Skana in the other. If I have time I'm going to be sculpting a quick infested form he's stepping over ;p

This is about 40 hours of work so far, will post more photos as I progress! Really loving working with chavant a lot!

1/31/2014-

Thanks everyone! Had another 6 hour marathon today, this is what I got done :)

7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Still form blocking and leaving obvious bony landmarks. Still have to finish the arms and refine the legs (front view looks too slim) until I like the silhouettes :v

2/2/2014-
another 8 hour marathon, hhhhave most of it blocked in now!

Arm, leg, and oblique mass are my current problem children but I am way too exhausted to get those fixed until next weeks lecture. 9_6

10.jpg11.jpg

its getting there at least!

2/7/2014 -

12.jpg13.jpg

He's getting a shave! ;D Had to whack his lats off because they were mis-aligned, but theyre going back on after a few adjustments! Adding in proper apexes and symmetry, still have to finish up the legs and arms and lats.

Instructors are teaching us how to sculpt a 'mean &#!', so do not worry, the booty will be immaculate.

2/8/2014 - 16 hours of work on this this week, legs are starting to look less stupid;

16.jpg 17.jpg

booty game almost at critical mass

2/11/2014 - Its that time of the week again!

Really starting to understand tendon groups, lats/traps/delts/biceps had complete re-hauls (still need work...), obliques evened out, gluteus medius toned down a bit (It was super huge LOL)

18-1.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg

2/17/2014- say hello to my entire monday afternoon!

22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg

hilt was modified for hand-holding purposes on the sculpture :U

2/22/2014- [Link!]

2/26/2014-[Link!]

3/2/2014-[Link!]

3/7/2014-[Link!]

3/13/2014-[Link!]

if you have any questions about clay or the process I'd be happy to answer as well!

Edited by DOXOlove

Thanks everyone! Had another 6 hour marathon today, this is what I got done :)

7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Still form blocking and leaving obvious bony landmarks. Still have to finish the arms and refine the legs (front view looks too slim) until I like the silhouettes :v

if you have any questions about clay or the process I'd be happy to answer as well!

All I can suggest is that using the in game model, without any distracting texture, is a great way to see the major shapes you need to make. Makes it a little easier to detail afterward too, but meh, you're fine lol

I do have official orthographs of Excalibur that DE gave me (explained in the first post), but wont need them until after the muscle refinement is done. :p

rushing to do detail with the wrong silhouette/proportions is a disaster waiting to happen!

2/2/2014-

another 8 hour marathon, hhhhave most of it blocked in now!

Arm, leg, and oblique mass are my current problem children but I am way too exhausted to get those fixed until next weeks lecture. 9_6

10.jpg11.jpg

its getting there at least!