Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost: 2/5/2014

[DE]Rebecca

Lawdy, people, can we wait until it actually comes out before we scream about it? And I think a lot of people aren't noticing his first two abilities received buffs.

Frost is a Defensive frame, and one of the best ones alongside Vauban, now with this nerf, he is just a horrible sluggish offensive frame. There are other and much better offensive frames out there, even Volt will become better than Frost in my opinion.

So uh what about ice wave?  That ability drops off hard, and without it being a 100% chance to slow anymore its got no utility.

Ice Blast looks really interesting though I'm curious as to what its special effect be(compared to fireballs DoT) Will it be a small AoE freeze? slow? or maybe leave a patch of ice on the ground that makes enemies slip? <That be funny.

Snow Globe looks alright though just like with rhinos iron skin it seems like it would just be destroyed in seconds, guess that just makes it so we have to strategically use it now.

And Avalanche, seems good, minor fix but the ability is already kinda decent so should be good.

Step 1: Grab some rare mods

Step 2: Sell rare mods to other players for platinum

Step 3: Purchase an additional frame slot

Step 4: Keep Frost in the hope that the skill gets revised to make it more viable with the changes

If you're THAT pressed for platinum for slots, I'd be happy to give you some for a Warframe slot.

I'll have to look at the market. But i dont play these games because i have cash to burn. I play these games because they're free and they're good. I would pay if i could but sometimes its the difference on if i keep the heat running or not. =/

This was bound to happen eventually. In order for Frost to get decent changes(either this patch or the eventual next line of patches) Snowglobe had be nerfed. It was too powerful for its own good and single'd Frost as a one trick pony. If anything this is the first step towards a better made Frost.

All this really does is put Frost with the rest of the frames that still need work (and are generally terrible past level 30) while taking him out of his one good niche. You're still left with all the really good frames still being really good (Rhino, Nova, Trinity and most likely Vauban) and now you have even less viable choices for defense.

I thought the change was supposed to make the other frames more viable in defense? The other frames are still just as terrible as they were before with this change. They didn't really fix anything.

Lawdy, people, can we wait until it actually comes out before we scream about it? And I think a lot of people aren't noticing his first two abilities received buffs.

You mean first and last. I see no mention of his ice wave getting buffed. 

The buff to the first is vague. 

And the buff to the last is just to make it competitive with other AoE attacks. And a poor attempt at it. 

It works for me. I'd like to say though that frost ult need something more than damage, like someone said earlier on the topic, at higher lvl the ult doesn't do any damage, a crowd control effect on it would make it way better and make up for the fact that snowglobe now has hp (which i think is a good idea).

I've always seen frost as an alternative to rhino, the difference being you have chosen for him to be more of a bunker than a mobile tank. Now that things are changing, the best idea would be to give him something to compete with the big overused rhino.

Also maybe upgrading just a little bit his movement speed would be nice too.

Either way i'm fine with those changes. Frost needed to be looked at, that's sort of what i was expecting (not so soon tho). 

His ult does have a CC element to it, but it isn't very viable now if you also want to use Snow Globe since it requires you to put overextended on.

Everyone is whining about how he'll be useless in high level defense/survival, but imo the concept of what makes high level defense is a problem in and of itself.  It creates an expectation for things to be balanced towards stupid mind numbing grinds that are only really viable through the abuse of poorly balanced abilities and weapons.  

I think that there could be a way to make it work well, for example carrying Frost's armor value over to snowglobe (Blatantfool mentioned this idea to me) which would make the Steel Fiber mod actually useful... and possibly have the armor stat affected by power strength mods or duration mods, and the amount of health get increase proportionate to power strength mods.

But for just plain old 3500 health, I'm not really for that. It would go away very fast since the size of it means it's gonna soak up much, MUCH more damage than a moving Rhino with Iron Skin.

But hey, at least we all get advanced notice to offer feedback before the fact! Much better hearing about it before the change instead of having it be a surprise.

If it was a surprise the forums would probably blow up. 

The most amusing thing in this topic is that ppl post ideas, nice ideas...but DE will never ever implement them, because they choosing the path of less resistance, it's easier to add health to globe than overhaul it completely (like in previously mentioned topic https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/117028-balance-adjustments-to-frame-lineup/ )

All this really does is put Frost with the rest of the frames that still need work 

Put him there? He always in that section. The fact that Snowglobe was carrying this frames viability was blinding people to the truth of this frame.  Now people can see that without Snowglobe this frame was truly ineffective and can now properly get supported for changes.

Like I said, a step towards fixing Frost altogether.

Something is telling me that the Snow Globe health is a bad idea. I would like to see how it works out, but I'm skeptical.

I've experienced situations where, in high level defense and survival missions where my Rhino has been torn apart in a matter of seconds, even with Iron Skin.

Absolutely terrible. Considering that frost is losing his 1-hit wonder, increased damage is not thoughtful balance. Frost is not a damage frame, give him more utility. Do not touch frost until you can put more time into balancing him. Do not increase the health numbers on snowglobe and assume everything will be okay. It will not be. Utility. Nerfing frost to a place below oberon in terms of damage and utility is not going to work. NO. If you want a discussion about how frost should be improved, just ask. Don't give us terrible balance changes and ask for feedback because you'll just have to wade through a bunch of NO to find thoughtful balance ideas.

What were you thinking?

Just... this is not funny.

-1 DE TRY AGAIN

No, no, no NO

Why?

Answer: MATH:

A quick test with trinity and link (reflects 100% damage afaik) on corpus crewmen:

Level 11: 9 damage vs its shield and 10 with the shield gone.

Level 30: 24 and 26 damage respectivly

No taking damage type vs materials an such into consideration a 3500 snow globe can absorb ca:

Lvl 11 corpus crewman shots: 350

Lvl 30 corpus crewman shots: 140

Assuming power strength will affect snow globe:

Maximized power strength for Frost is 144% meaning the snow globe can have a maximum of 8540 HP meaning it can absorb:

Lvl 11 corpus crewman shots: 850

Lvl 30 corpus crewman shots: 340

I know this is somewhat simplified and not the full story but it can still be used to come to a conclusion....

3500 is just plain pathetic for an ability like Snow Globe.

Edited by igulfast

Oh boy... incoming rage when people realize snowglobe isn't the be all and end all of defense and that they'll have to find other ways to keep the pod safe.

That being said... I wonder if abilities like iron skin and snow globe should have some sort of sliding scale system, where the more damage they're receiving the higher their armor rating is. This would allow them to remain viable in high level gameplay.

I think that there could be a way to make it work well, for example carrying Frost's armor value over to snowglobe (Blatantfool mentioned this idea to me) which would make the Steel Fiber mod actually useful... and possibly have the armor stat affected by power strength mods or duration mods, and the amount of health get increase proportionate to power strength mods.

But for just plain old 3500 health, I'm not really for that. It would go away very fast since the size of it means it's gonna soak up much, MUCH more damage than a moving Rhino with Iron Skin.

But hey, at least we all get advanced notice to offer feedback before the fact! Much better hearing about it before the change instead of having it be a surprise.

This has so little to do with snowglobe. Without his 1-hit wonder, frost is garbage. Damage won't fix that. He's not even a damage frame.

What is happening?!