Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nereid, Marine Warframe =Now With 100% More Ttgl!= 18/02/2014

Blazbaros

nereid_warframe_by_blazbaros-d766mhy.png

This is based off a sketch that I got from RedSkittlez on dA http://redskittlez-da.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-OC-Ink-377512301 adding a bit of flavour from my old Balrog frame http://blazbaros.deviantart.com/art/Balrog-Warframe-412004217

Nereid is a marine warframe. Average health and shields, low armour, pretty speedy, high stamina. Focuses on knocking enemies down to keep them from attacking.

Origin: Discovered in a deep sea excavation site on Earth by the Grineer.

Natural Ability: Any enemy hit by a water-based attack would be tinted blue, representing them being "wet".  Electrical attacks would deal extra damage to "wet" targets.  Good pairing with Volt or warframes using electrical weapons like the Synapse.

Because the question was raised, Nereid's suit collects moisture from the atmosphere which is then manipulated to perform her abilities.

1 - Riptide - Throwing both her hands out in front of her, Nereid collects and generates a short ranged wave that knocks enemies off their feet.  The wave would then return to her, passing through/around and hitting targets in behind her.  Leveling up the card would increase the distance the enemy is knocked back.

(As suggested by Morec0 https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/user/225159-morec0/)

ALTERNATIVELY 

Drown - Nereid forms a bubble of water around the head of a single target, dealing periodical damage by drowning them. Ability is affected by duration mods, range mods, and strength mods to increase the damage per tick.

( As suggested by Galactix https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/user/377944-galactix/)

Erode - A jet of water splashes over an enemy.  It deals minor damage, but it inflicts: accuracy de-buff, reduces armour/shields and increases their susceptibility to critical hits and status effects with increased damage to both mentioned effects. Basically they're boned when they get hit by the next attack.

( As suggested by Andymous87 https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/user/534770-andymous87/)

2 - Liquefy - Nereid's body becomes a liquid for a short time. Light is refracted around her, making it difficult for the enemy to detect her.  If she is detected, enemy fire and melee attacks would pass straight through.  Any attacks she make while liquefied deal substantially less damage.

3 - Breach - Enemies around Nereid are shot up into the air by columns of water, being dealt damage when they land. If the targets hit the ceiling, they are dealt extra impact damage.  Those that are too large or too heavy to be knocked into the air are just dealt heavy damage from the highly pressurized water jets.

4 - Maelstrom - Nereid creates a whirling torrent of water around herself in a large radius. Any enemies caught inside the whirlpool are spun around and around, unable to attack or do anything until the ability ends.  Other enemies that enter the pool are caught.  They are dealt damage over time and the ability follows Nereid.

Feb 19/2014 - Member of the Squirtle Squad

nereid_warframe_by_blazbaros-d75v8k8.png

Feb 11/2014 - Old Ideas

Ok, flat colours are up!  Also changed her name, its no longer Scylla, but Nereid!

nereid_warframe_by_blazbaros-d75v8k8.png

And I've started narrowing down her abilities :D

1 - Riptide - Throwing both her hands out in front of her, Nereid collects and generates a short ranged wave that knocks enemies off their feet.  Leveling up the card would increase the distance the enemy is knocked back.

2 - Liquefy - Nereid's body becomes a liquid for a short time. Light is refracted around her, making it difficult for the enemy to detect her.  If she is detected, enemy fire and melee attacks would pass straight through.  Any attacks she make while liquefied deal substantially less damage.

3 - Breach - Enemies around Nereid are shot up into the air by columns of water, being dealt damage when they land. If the targets hit the ceiling, they are dealt extra impact damage.  Those that are too large or too heavy to be knocked into the air are just dealt heavy damage from the highly pressurized water jets.

4 - Maelstrom - Nereid creates a whirling torrent of water around herself in a large radius. Any enemies caught inside the whirlpool are spun around and around, unable to attack or do anything until the ability ends.  Other enemies that enter the pool are caught.  They are dealt damage over time and the ability follows Nereid. 

Feb 9/2014 - Older Ideas

Ability Ideas:

Entangle - A tentacle whips out and wraps around an enemy, pulling them to the ground towards Nereid.

OR Holds the enemy in place for a short period of time, not allowing them to attack.

Jetstream - Forces a stream of highly pressured water at an enemy, dealing heavy slash damage. Long range.

Riptide - A wave that knocks enemies backward in front of Nereid.

Liquefy - Nereid's body becomes a liquid for a short time. Enemy fire and melee attacks would pass straight through her.

Breach - Enemies around Nereid are shot up into the air by spouts of water, being dealt damage when they land. If the targets hit the ceiling, they are dealt extra impact damage.

Bubble Shield - Coats Nereid and her allies in a protective shield (either damage reduction or shield capacity boost).

Deep Threat - Nereid creates a snake-like creature out of water, coating her entire arm in it. She makes a heavy punch,  affecting a small area in front of her, with such a force that even larger enemies are tossed back.

Deluge - Nereid jumps up on water spout, only to come crashing down, unleashing an AoE tidal wave that launches enemies back.  Deals damage to those caught in the immediate blast of water. The wave would push those not killed outright backward; if they hit an obstacle or a wall they are dealt extra impact damage.

Any thoughts would be helpful :D

Notes for next update:

- Add two longer tentacles coming off her helmet.

Edited by Blazbaros

this frame is somewhat plagiarizing my frame idea (I do stress somewhat, it's nowhere near enough for a lawsuit).  There are some obvious differences if you were to compare our threads and art.  the only similarities are the name and parts of the theme (the entangle is somewhat like my Scylla's 1st ability called Kraken's fury, the difference being yours sounds just like Valkyr's rip line only with a tentacle instead of a laser/energy chord).  all ball busting aside, I do offer some constructive criticism:

1) Scylla was the name of a monster that dwelled in the sea, she wasn't the sea itself.  Their are much more appropriate names you could use for her.  Look on http://www.meaning-of-names.com/ you can look up names that have a meaning pertaining to water and you can narrow the search to boy, girl and even unisex names if you want.  One name I came across that could fit a water based frame was Naiya; a Greek name meaning 'a water nymph' according to the site.  not as intimidating as the name of a sea monster, but it could fit with the role she might play in combat, based on the powers I've seen.

2) My thoughts on the powers are like this:

Entangle - as I stated above, too much like Valkyr's rip line, and my frame's Kraken's fury is much cooler (the rest is more mature I promise)

Jetstream - I don't see this being useful in the damage department, but could have unique utility with it possibly disabling enemy weapons in some way, but riptide seems better.

riptide - like banshee's sonic boom, but with added utility, nice.  seems like a better first ability than entangle

liquefy - an interesting stealth and damage protection option.  if she could revive teammates in this state it's got the combined usefulness of a cloak and Rhino's iron skin and I imagine that the drawback of this power is that she can't attack while in this state at least not with any effectiveness, of course.

breach - decent panic AOE attack, but where would the water be coming from.  most of the warframes powers have some sort of vaguely plausible sudo-scientific or technological explanation to them (I'm likely wrong about that).

Bubble shield - doesn't sound very useful compared to trinity's blessing.  It might be a better idea if she was able to somehow erect a thick wall of water (an episode of Mythbusters showed the surprising bulletproof qualities of large amounts of water).  like volt's electric shield, only thicker and covering a much larger area.

I don't have any thoughts on the rest of her abilities.

3) Seriously, her name needs to change!  My frame was posted on this forum almost 4 days before you started yours.  You have several other names you could name yours, I don't.  If you know a better female name for a mollusk/cephalopod themed warframe then tell me (I will not accept Molly, Octavia, Octa, Octosa, Octopussy or any other name that seems like it had no thought put into it).

Edited by andymous87

Been a while since I logged in just to upvote, but this deserved it, props on the design and the ability ideas!  Love the "Liquefy" thought.  Also would like to see her hands a bit more webbed, love the curves reminding me of something more fish-like but feminine, really sleek and cool.

Props!

~Tenno out

P.S.

Somewhat perplexed by the apparent plagiaristic content of this post with that of the poster above.  :S

Edited by Erelas

this frame is somewhat plagiarizing my frame idea (I do stress somewhat, it's nowhere near enough for a lawsuit).  

this made me chuckle.

to be honest i could understand the frustration but when you offer your idea up for use in a public manner these kinds of things are gonna happen.

even if he did blatantly rip off your name which i doubt is what actually happened, its just as likely that you both just had the same idea as to what to call your frames, but there is no law, rule, or regulation to stop him from using the same name, parts of your art or even the names of your abilities in this kind of setting. 

this frame is somewhat plagiarizing my frame idea (I do stress somewhat, it's nowhere near enough for a lawsuit).  There are some obvious differences if you were to compare our threads and art.  the only similarities are the name and parts of the theme (the entangle is somewhat like my Scylla's 1st ability called Kraken's fury, the difference being yours sounds just like Valkyr's rip line only with a tentacle instead of a laser/energy chord).  all ball busting aside, I do offer some constructive criticism:

1) Scylla was the name of a monster that dwelled in the sea, she wasn't the sea itself.  Their are much more appropriate names you could use for her.  Look on http://www.meaning-of-names.com/ you can look up names that have a meaning pertaining to water and you can narrow the search to boy, girl and even unisex names if you want.  One name I came across that could fit a water based frame was Naiya; a Greek name meaning 'a water nymph' according to the site.  not as intimidating as the name of a sea monster, but it could fit with the role she might play in combat, based on the powers I've seen.

2) My thoughts on the powers are like this:

Entangle - as I stated above, too much like Valkyr's rip line, and my frame's Kraken's fury is much cooler (the rest is more mature I promise)

Jetstream - I don't see this being useful in the damage department, but could have unique utility with it possibly disabling enemy weapons in some way, but riptide seems better.

riptide - like banshee's sonic boom, but with added utility, nice.  seems like a better first ability than entangle

liquefy - an interesting stealth and damage protection option.  if she could revive teammates in this state it's got the combined usefulness of a cloak and Rhino's iron skin and I imagine that the drawback of this power is that she can't attack while in this state at least not with any effectiveness, of course.

breach - decent panic AOE attack, but where would the water be coming from.  most of the warframes powers have some sort of vaguely plausible sudo-scientific or technological explanation to them (I'm likely wrong about that).

Bubble shield - doesn't sound very useful compared to trinity's blessing.  It might be a better idea if she was able to somehow erect a thick wall of water (an episode of Mythbusters showed the surprising bulletproof qualities of large amounts of water).  like volt's electric shield, only thicker and covering a much larger area.

I don't have any thoughts on the rest of her abilities.

3) Seriously, her name needs to change!  My frame was posted on this forum almost 4 days before you started yours.  You have several other names you could name yours, I don't.  If you know a better female name for a mollusk/cephalopod themed warframe then tell me (I will not accept Molly, Octavia, Octa, Octosa, Octopussy or any other name that seems like it had no thought put into it).

I was unaware that you'd had created a similar frame and I apologize.  Its a huge coincidence really.  Scylla was original conceived as "Ink" last year during the summer (check the Ink link and find out) and I only just now changed her name.

1. I honestly don't feel the need and/or want to change her name at this moment. But I do think Naiya sounds good, Naiad sounds better. Nereid might work in the end.

But the fact of the matter is I like Scylla as a name. So you're just going to have to deal with that.

2. Jetstream - Have you not see what a highly pressurized jet of water can do to things? It can slice throw metal and rock if its high enough.

Breach - I had the idea the little tentacles on her helmet were actually small collectors that gathered moisture in the air to be stored and used later.  She'd also be able to manipulate the already present moisture in the atmosphere.

3. If I come up with a good alternate I'll let you know.

http://ninjawannabe87.deviantart.com/art/warframe-concept-Scylla-432467351

This is my whose name is Scylla.  it was posted almost 3 or 4 days before Blazbaros posted his/hers.

I say boy, I say.  The way you're putting is that he jacked your idea.

So how about this:

I drew this http://redskittlez-da.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-OC-Ink-377512301 about half a year ago and your warframe is way too similar to mine. Would you mind taking it down?

I was unaware that you'd had created a similar frame and I apologize.  Its a huge coincidence really.  Scylla was original conceived as "Ink" last year during the summer (check the Ink link and find out) and I only just now changed her name.

1. I honestly don't feel the need and/or want to change her name at this moment. But I do think Naiya sounds good, Naiad sounds better. Nereid might work in the end.

But the fact of the matter is I like Scylla as a name. So you're just going to have to deal with that.

2. Jetstream - Have you not see what a highly pressurized jet of water can do to things? It can slice throw metal and rock if its high enough.

Breach - I had the idea the little tentacles on her helmet were actually small collectors that gathered moisture in the air to be stored and used later.  She'd also be able to manipulate the already present moisture in the atmosphere.

3. If I come up with a good alternate I'll let you know.

I did realize that it was just a coincidence when I looked at the thread and the post after that, but that didn't stop the childish frustration (I mean really childish, if you've ever seen a kid whine about another kid having more of something than he/she did, that's basically me in this case, only instead of food or a toy, it's me complaining irrationally about you having more recognition than me.  I know you see how stupid that is because I sure do) and for that and accusing you of somewhat plagiarizing my work, I apologize.  I'm 26 years old, there was no excuse for my behavior (I might have had a head injury or two, but still no excuse).

now here's my thoughts on your thoughts on my thoughts on your frame:

1) I'm glad you considered it, at least.

2) Jetstream - I would say 'you obviously don't know how big of a machine that would be or how much water that would take' but I would sound as obtuse as someone 30 years ago saying computers will never be portable or someone in the 1800s saying cars will never catch on.  although she could have technology involving wormholes or portals of some kind.  Nova's able to open a wormhole to transport her and her team to where ever she directs it.

breach - that wouldn't generate near enough water to damage the enemies she would fight, but with the above mentioned wormhole/portal tech present in Warframe, they could be plausible.

3) much appreciated.

I really hope both our frames are considered,  I wouldn't mind playing your frame.  we don't have any female stealthy, damage-dealing, crowd-controlling frames as of yet, and our frames could be some interesting additions to the roster.

I did realize that it was just a coincidence when I looked at the thread and the post after that, but that didn't stop the childish frustration (I mean really childish, if you've ever seen a kid whine about another kid having more of something than he/she did, that's basically me in this case, only instead of food or a toy, it's me complaining irrationally about you having more recognition than me.  I know you see how stupid that is because I sure do) and for that and accusing you of somewhat plagiarizing my work, I apologize.  I'm 26 years old, there was no excuse for my behavior (I might have had a head injury or two, but still no excuse).

It happens, I was kinda surprised that not only did we share the same name but nearly the same tentacle hat =p So don't worry about it, its resolved now.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Nereid would be a much better fit.  You can go ahead and take Scylla.

I say boy, I say.  The way you're putting is that he jacked your idea.

So how about this:

I drew this http://redskittlez-da.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-OC-Ink-377512301 about half a year ago and your warframe is way too similar to mine. Would you mind taking it down?

no it was just a crappy childish attempt to get more people to look at my thread (in hindsight I was a real #$&(% bag) and I apologized in my above post.  if you just posted this in defense of your friend then your a good person, if it's a joke then lolz, if you are serious about this then you need to see a doctor (either an optometrist, a neurologist or someone that specializes in both).

It happens, I was kinda surprised that not only did we share the same name but nearly the same tentacle hat =p So don't worry about it, its resolved now.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Nereid would be a much better fit.  You can go ahead and take Scylla.

thank you, I'm glad it didn't get out of hand (hopefully RedSkittlez doesn't take my response to his post the wrong way).

Edited by andymous87