Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Etiquette

Instinction

Question

Given the amount of new players entering the game, and the unfortunate amount of people that just generally disregard their teammates, even though this is a game based on PVE and cooperation, I thought a general overview of "how not to annoy the crap out of your squadmates in a match" might be a nice thing for some folks to read up on.

(Please realize the is written from ONE veteran's standpoint on simple standard courtesies during gameplay that I believe will make everyone's experience more fun if applied.)

1. Wait for squadmates at the elevator

Aside from the occasional, oops I hit the button, this common courtesy is generally followed by most, given a reasonable amount of time. If a player is overly slow, keeps stopping for reasons unknown to his squadmates, and has fallen very far behind though, don't expect for your squadmates to wait forever.

It's pretty well accepted that it's a dooshy move to just rush to the elevator and hit it before anyone else can get there, however. So don't do that. If you want to rush, go play solo, or a private match with other invitees that know you are rushing, that's why those options are there.

2. Don't be a door/lane hero

This particularly applies to Defense, Mobile Defense, and Survival missions.

In these missions, enemies usually spawn and come from 2 or 3 directions following ai pathways which usually come from behind doorways or long lanes.

A door hero is one who, generally during one of the above stated missions, camps in front or outside of a door on a spawnpoint, and is shooting down that lane since that is where enemies are clustering/coming from the most. This is usually out of the Xp range of 50 in-game metres for his teammates who are protecting the objective or sitting on an air capsule. Therefore, by doing this, the door hero is robbing all his team members of A LOT of experience, and even more so because he is camping on a door/spawnpoint that a majority of enemies are coming from.

3. Stick together

This generally applies to every mission type. There is a 50m in-game cap on Team Xp for kills. If you're running off ahead and blowing up everything in sight and your teammates aren't within 50m of you, they are losing out on all that Xp that they could, and should, be getting.

This also goes in tandem with door heroes who go chasing down enemies outside of doorways during Def, MD, and Surv missions when your team is trying to camp on a point.
Be a team player.

4. Cater to your fellow teammates abilities

Pretty simple. Certain abilites (Nyx's Absorb for example) work better when your teammates work with you.

Work with your team, not against them.

5. Stick to your channel

This doesn't directly apply to gameplay but it still warrants mentioning as a major part of the game.

Traders. No one wants you in Recruiting. Recruiters. No one wants you in trading. Price checkers. No one wants you (lol). End of story.

6. Stick around for what you were recruited for

This particularly applies to Survival, Defense, and Intercept mode missions.

If you go to recruiting channel to join any of the above and someone says "Hosting 'x' we go til 'y' amount of time/wave" or, "we go til we get item 'z'"  then stick around for what the host wants, or until the host and squad agree otherwise in-game to leave.

You chose to join the host's mission. If you leave, before everyone has obtained what was stated by the host in the recruitment, you are a dooshcanoe. Plain and simple.

There is no "oh that's too good to pass up" or "oh I really need that".
No. You stick around for what you opted into. If the host doesn't specify, then the best course of action would be to confer with your squad when you all agree to leave. Leaving beforehand wastes the hosts and rest of the squads time, and possibly costs the host a key that he/she spent time farming for.

This should really be a non-issue now as defense rewards now stack, but still I see people jump out as soon as they get what they want and not help their teammates til the end.

That's all I could think of for now. If I see any other good ones posted in the comments I'll add them to this.

These are simple common courtesies that make the game better for everyone people, just be a good player and a good squadmate, then everybody's happy.

Edited by Instinction
  • Like 1

dooshnugget

Hehe. Doosh. I'm so easily amused. 

That aside, yes. I wholeheartedly support this. Consideration and courtesy for one's teammates is important. +1

Whenever I play Mercury or Venus and I get paired up with someone who doesn't have a full compliment of destroy-all-the-things I'll refrain from racing ahead and help guide them along. If we encounter obstacles I frequently take the time to teach them things like wall running and some advanced movement techniques.

Don't rush forward while spamming 4, then expect teammates to rescue you when you bite off more than you can chew. I've seen even Nyx's do this, to the point I'll have to break the abovementioned rule just to discourage the behavior to begin with.

"Given the amount of newbies entering the game" ... try to keep the experienced player jargon to a minimum - doubly so when you assume it's self explanatory.

I've only heard "door hero" used twice. This is one of them, and I'm not exactly fresh to Warframe.

Given the amount of new players entering the game

[...]

Just don't.

Good explanation. New player surely knows what that means.

I have good couple hundred clocked in this game and I myself am not fully sure of the term, so yeah.

I've only heard "door hero" used twice. This is one of them, and I'm not exactly fresh to Warframe.

I have good couple hundred clocked in this game and I myself am not fully sure of the term, so yeah.

Explained in detail. Apologies for not making it clear, I've seen many many threads on door heroes and thought that it was general knowledge.

I'd add in there:

6/7) Revive Your Teammates

Being a Coop game that depends on team work and PVE, it should be common courtesy that if a member of your group is downed, you should drop what you are killing and run to their rescue. Unless there is a context sensitive objective like a capture target or defense pod in danger, you can spare the 15 seconds it takes to rush toward them and revive. It doesn't take a long time, and all your allies will be very thankful for it. No one likes to lose a revive when it could have been prevented.

Just don't.

-snip-

4. Cater to your fellow teammates abilities

This is a situational one and it applies to everyone, but there are two in particular I want to address here since these two are the ones that tend to often get overlooked:

Ash's Bladestorm. You can clearly see when an Ash is using Bladestorm because all the targets are marked bright red. So try not to be a total dooshnugget and spam your ulti right when you see an Ash use his. That's just not cool and I see people doing this all to often.

Nyx's Absorb. Hey would you believe that it works by absorbing damage?? Crazy, right? I know. But seriously, when you see a Nyx pop off her Absorb, again, don't be that guy that says "ha ha fu" and pops off your own ult, be a team player and punch a clip into her Absorb and help her out. She is there helping draw the aggro off you and help keep you alive.

I know there are others, but these are the two I see abused the most. I'm just getting the point across. Be a team player or go play solo.

-snip-

That's all I could think of for now. If I see any other good ones posted in the comments I'll add them to this.

These are simple common courtesies that make the game better for everyone people, just be a good player and a good squadmate, then everybody's happy.

Interesting read.

I've taken out the rules that I agree with however, I'd like to point out something regarding the ones I left in.

Rule 2.  There's actually a fairly long and detailed thread on this subject.  From what I've read about it, this is a grey area of game play.  Here's the link; https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/179321-regarding-door-heroes/  (Link broken)

Rule 4.  I have an Ash and yeah, it's annoying when that happens.  But it's also silly to require someone to stand there and wait while he stabs his way through a mob.  The only thing that happens to the intended victims is that they gain a red outline, they are still free to attack the rest of the team.   I don't know anyone that would run up to a mob and say "Oh, they're red, time to find something else to attack.  No no, Mr. Monster, Ash called dibs."

As for Nyx's Absorb; not a lot of players know that if you shoot it, she gains extra damage. (I thought that was removed?)  That and I haven't seen a lot of Nyx's in public games.

And this is probably nitpicking at this point, but common courtesies aren't the same thing as rules.  I don't know of anyplace that requires you to hold the door open for someone or will ban you for cutting in front of someone before they get in line.

Edited by Noamuth

Interesting read.

I've taken out the rules that I agree with however, I'd like to point out something regarding the ones I left in.

Rule 2.  There's actually a fairly long and detailed thread on this subject.  From what I've read about it, this is a grey area of game play.  Here's the link; https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/179321-regarding-door-heroes/

Rule 4.  I have an Ash and yeah, it's annoying when that happens.  But it's also silly to require someone to stand there and wait while he stabs his way through a mob.  The only thing that happens to the intended victims is that they gain a red outline, they are still free to attack the rest of the team.   I don't know anyone that would run up to a mob and say "Oh, they're red, time to find something else to attack.  No no, Mr. Monster, Ash called dibs."

As for Nyx's Absorb; not a lot of players know that if you shoot it, she gains extra damage. (I thought that was removed?)  That and I haven't seen a lot of Nyx's in public games.

And this is probably nitpicking at this point, but common courtesies aren't the same thing as rules.  I don't know of anyplace that requires you to hold the door open for someone or will ban you for cutting in front of someone before they get in line.

Thanks, that was actually one of the threads I was referring to so I added it to my post.

And I understand what you mean by "waiting around" for Ash's Bladestorm. I'm not saying you have to refrain from killing them, but he is limited to a very small number of targets (12 at max I think it was) so generally speaking, it shouldn't be that hard to easily see something else to kill.

And that's why I stated that these are indeed, common courtesies. These are not rules in which one absolutely MUST abide by in order to play the game. In whole, these are things that I believe, if maintained, make for a better playing experience.

1. Wait for squadmates at the elevator

LOL I laugh at morons who often find the need to start the elevator when I'm RIGHT there (just not ready), considering I baseball slide/ninja somersault into it as it moves. They're just gonna have to try harder to screw me over.

Edited by Trowicia

Thanks, that was actually one of the threads I was referring to so I added it to my post.

And I understand what you mean by "waiting around" for Ash's Bladestorm. I'm not saying you have to refrain from killing them, but he is limited to a very small number of targets (12 at max I think it was) so generally speaking, it shouldn't be that hard to easily see something else to kill.

And that's why I stated that these are indeed, common courtesies. These are not rules in which one absolutely MUST abide by in order to play the game. In whole, these are things that I believe, if maintained, make for a better playing experience.

I agree that things like your list would make the game more enjoyable.  It would reduce the amount of rushers and power leveling.  The only problem would be getting the majority of players to adhere to this, in any way.  

My clan is focused on helping new players and encouraging them to learn beneficial teamwork. Maybe a few clans could be encouraged to do the same, but on a larger scale?

I agree wholeheartedly that something needs to be done but, I don't think it's on DE's head to do.  It'd be nice if they added a New Player Help channel or set up a group of volunteers that get tagged when a new players pop into Terminus, or something.  That would expose new players to the like minded people here on this thread.  

P.S.  Headache typing, sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense.  

Another one I think might be good to add is to always be courteous and respectful to your host, particularly when taxiing to alerts and voids. More often that not, a host who is taxiing you to an alert doesn't need whatever the alert is offering, and probably ferrying people just to be nice.

Likewise, always be respectful if your host is laggy - 9 times out of 10 there is nothing they can do about it and they may never have wanted to be host in the first place. Don't take your anger at the connection out on them.

Edited by DJ_Redwire

Tip 1a: If you are in the elevator and someone else presses the button, while two others were not in the elevator yet, wait at the top of the elevator for the rest of your team. If rushing rambo decides not to wait and dies, let him die. If rushing rambo comes across a door that requires two players to open, wait for the rest of your squad.