Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aura Slot For Weapons.

DivineBovine

Now before we all get up in arms at this breaking everyone's builds and how they have formed weapons, hear me out.

The mods that would go into Weapon Aura slots would have a base rank of 0, much like Coolant Leak. They could still be ranked up but it would only increase the benefit of the mod, not the cost.

These mods would have no affect on the weapons DPS, hence the 0 cost. They would be consist of mods that are already in the current mod system, such as

Ammo Drum/Trick Mag/Shell Compression

Hush/Suppress

Eagle Eye/ Hawk Eye

Ammo Stock/ Magazine Drum/ Slip Magazine

Stabilizer/ Steady Hands

Fast Hands/ Quickdraw / Tactical Pump

The reason I use these mods is because , in most builds they really are not used. But if we had a 0 cost option, I could see an uptick in use and desire of these mods. Their rarity could be increased to compensate for the new slot option.

They would also add another level of customization for weapons other than "do as much damage as possible".

Want to have something for stealth runs that still has a bit of punch? Want to be able to Zoom further with a Vectis without a slot being taken up? 

And this also opens up a whole new level of mod ideas for weapons that could be used for a more personal flavor.

And that is my idea ^.^

No but really I think this is a good idea. These are just random mods they threw in for whatever the reason. In my opinion I think this would do the following.

1) Give us another degree of customization. Some people dont mind like long reload times, some want bigger clip, or lower recoil, etc. Everything is cookie cutter currently. I'm not saying everyone will have different builds, but it opens up possibilities for experimentation.

2) Helps out the struggle or ranking a weapon that doesn't have a catalyst on it or if you just slapped a forma on it. We've all been there. Piggybacking on a mobile defence or defence for the exp. It wont add any dps (or much), but having a bigger clip to do damage to more enemies would help gather more exp. 

Good idea but a few flaws first any reload mods turning to aura ones won't work because reload does change your Dpm

( damage per minute) by a bit , kinda just pointing this out but berserker = chance to more DPS just saying the other mods will work though

Good idea but a few flaws first any reload mods turning to aura ones won't work because reload does change your Dpm

( damage per minute) by a bit , kinda just pointing this out but berserker = chance to more DPS just saying the other mods will work though

The reload mods were added mostly because the DPM they add are minor at best and add a quality of Life choice for some weapons with ungodly long reload times.

Berserker I can agree with but with the current list of Melee mods there is not a whole bunch to chose from X3

probably works with modified attack type... like the wished sticky bombs or proximity grenades for Penta. That kind of mod doesn't need to rank up because there's nothing to increase.

Things like this. Yes. 

And to add another idea, Maybe a mod that decrease self damage taken from AoE explosions? Not by much mind you...but enough that you don't blow your legs off with one misplaced shot!

Whoops, forgot to add Melee mods as well, for they are still weapons!

Potential Weapon Aura Mods for Melee are:

Reach

Second Wind

Finishing Touch

Melee Channel

And possibly Beserker.

I like this a lot, but I suspect that with melee 2.0 on the way a lot of people would get quite annoyed if they had to choose between Reach and Berserker. Second Wind, Finishing Touch (who even uses this? I literally can't remember the last time I used a finisher and they don't happen often enough for it to be useful), Melee Channel and Berserker make sense, although Second Wind and Berserker being mutually exclusive would be frustrating for high-crit melee-focused builds, but I think Reach would make more sense as a normal mod.

Making Whirlwind an aura-type mod for thrown weapons would be good, though.

+1 (again). This would mostly be useful to let you make your weapon 'yours' without gimping yourself by not running a bunch of damage mods. I like having a fast reload, so I use fast hands, while the guy likes a larger mag so he uses magazine warp, and the third guy likes to play stealthy and uses hush. None of us have gimped ourselves by not bringing 8 damage mods, but our guns still manage to be different from eachothers.

• 1 month later...

Keeping this thread alive.

What about "Rebound", and "Quick Return", All Ammo Mutation Mods, Bane mods, Cleanse mods, and Expel mods.

I think Whirlwind or Firestorm should stay out of being an Aura mod.

Ammo mutation replace Ammo capacity(some weapons need it and Ammo Capacity isn't going to help much)

"Rebound" or "Quick Return" over Whirlwind makes more sense because you have to choose one.

As for "Bane", "Cleanse", and "Expel"..

Specialized damage over other Aura mods as some weapons don't really need more Ammo, Stealth, etc.

Edited by Makemap

Keeping this thread alive.

What about "Rebound", and "Quick Return", All Ammo Mutation Mods, Bane mods, Cleanse mods, and Expel mods.

I think Whirlwind or Firestorm should stay out of being an Aura mod.

Ammo mutation replace Ammo capacity(some weapons need it and Ammo Capacity isn't going to help much)

"Rebound" or "Quick Return" over Whirlwind makes more sense because you have to choose one.

As for "Bane", "Cleanse", and "Expel"..

Specialized damage over other Aura mods as some weapons don't really need more Ammo, Stealth, etc.

Bane mods are damage mods, they should not go in the aura slot (it would become "bring your bane mod in this slot for damage" instead of a utility slot. Ammo mutation is the same way; a large portion of weapons (anything that isn't crazy ammo effeceint) you've bring ammo mutation every time.

The whole point of this concept is to let you personalize your gun a bit by giving us a slot to bring cards that are basically never worth it compared to damage mods. Bane or ammo mutation would ruin that because bane or ammo mutation would always be the best choice for the slot.

Regarding ammo capacity mods; yeah, they're crap. They ought to have been rarer mods, and increase the amount of ammo from pickups (you're getting 1.5 bullets per space, and your pickups are worth 1.5x as well), but that would make ammo mutation mods unneeded. That's a whole 'nother argument, in any case.

Quick Return and Rebound? Sure.

Bane mods are damage mods, they should not go in the aura slot (it would become "bring your bane mod in this slot for damage" instead of a utility slot. Ammo mutation is the same way; a large portion of weapons (anything that isn't crazy ammo effeceint) you've bring ammo mutation every time.

The whole point of this concept is to let you personalize your gun a bit by giving us a slot to bring cards that are basically never worth it compared to damage mods. Bane or ammo mutation would ruin that because bane or ammo mutation would always be the best choice for the slot.

Regarding ammo capacity mods; yeah, they're crap. They ought to have been rarer mods, and increase the amount of ammo from pickups (you're getting 1.5 bullets per space, and your pickups are worth 1.5x as well), but that would make ammo mutation mods unneeded. That's a whole 'nother argument, in any case.

Quick Return and Rebound? Sure.

Um, ya, i doubt people use Bane mods, I also don't use them. It is a sacrifice of Utility mods. Weapons such as Miter I wouldn't need an utility mods on because it is doing fine already. The drawback is, if you have a Bane mod against infest and you go against Grineeer it does nothing. Have to switch build all the time.

Here is some examples:

Ammo Mutation cost only 7 pts max. Bane, Cleanse should be made the same(7 pts), as the other utility mods should all cost 9 pts so doubling the mods points(Apparently Ammo stock cost 7 pts compare to slip magazine, that should change to 9pt wiki.).

So if you put ammo mutation on you get 14 pts and normal utility you get 18 pts.

Weapons such as Dual Cetras for example need the extra points(lack polarity) and they don't really need the ammo mutation mod. You would build max Ammo capacity(Trick Mag) over ammo mutation because that weapon doesn't really need the Ammo mutation mod. As you build increase clip size while at it, there are two other mods make you Mag to 200 magazine(Slip magazine isn't really require, just given). The extra 30 mammo is quite pointless on Cestras and it is over the capacity of reloading.

Twin Viper is another example, Increase Mag, and Ammo Capacity wouldn't help this weapon as you would want Ammo mutation(Rare for a reason). It uses up ammo so fast like Afuris does too. The drawback is you get 4 less pt than Trick Mag(it should be buff to 9 pts if Aura slot gets added).

As for some weapons such as Brakk or Detron, a little bit of Mag capacity to save yourself is nice. They don't need more Ammo capacity nor Ammo mutation. Same with Sniper Rifles. Slip Mag(so people don't have to put Ice Storm, which I have right now) and Magazine Drum.

Vectis would want Fast Hands due to Prime chamber.

Bows could use the Bane mods since they are quite slow and need time to aim. They don't really need the other utility mods.

Edited by Makemap

As far as i can remember Steve has talked about the idea of allowing us to switch fire modes via mods on our guns. 

Judging by devestream 26 all melee weapons will get a mod point boost from the fighting stance equipped. I guess that's how fire mode mods could work aswell.

Um, ya, i doubt people use Bane mods, I also don't use them. It is a sacrifice of Utility mods. Weapons such as Miter I wouldn't need an utility mods on because it is doing fine already. The drawback is, if you have a Bane mod against infest and you go against Grineeer it does nothing. Have to switch build all the time.

Here is some examples:

Ammo Mutation cost only 7 pts max. Bane, Cleanse should be made the same(7 pts), as the other utility mods should all cost 9 pts so doubling the mods points(Apparently Ammo stock cost 7 pts compare to slip magazine, that should change to 9pt wiki.).

So if you put ammo mutation on you get 14 pts and normal utility you get 18 pts.

Weapons such as Dual Cetras for example need the extra points(lack polarity) and they don't really need the ammo mutation mod. You would build max Ammo capacity(Trick Mag) over ammo mutation because that weapon doesn't really need the Ammo mutation mod. As you build increase clip size while at it, there are two other mods make you Mag to 200 magazine(Slip magazine isn't really require, just given). The extra 30 mammo is quite pointless on Cestras and it is over the capacity of reloading.

Twin Viper is another example, Increase Mag, and Ammo Capacity wouldn't help this weapon as you would want Ammo mutation(Rare for a reason). It uses up ammo so fast like Afuris does too. The drawback is you get 4 less pt than Trick Mag(it should be buff to 9 pts if Aura slot gets added).

As for some weapons such as Brakk or Detron, a little bit of Mag capacity to save yourself is nice. They don't need more Ammo capacity nor Ammo mutation. Same with Sniper Rifles. Slip Mag(so people don't have to put Ice Storm, which I have right now) and Magazine Drum.

Vectis would want Fast Hands due to Prime chamber.

Bows could use the Bane mods since they are quite slow and need time to aim. They don't really need the other utility mods.

Bane mods are a damage mod. The whole point of this is to give people a reason to use mods that aren't damage mods. Doing 30% more base damage to the faction you are facing is generally prefered to something minor like magazine size. The points don't matter because you can just forma the gun another time and save another 4 points. Dex Furis and TWV are perfect examples of why ammo mutation shouldn't be in the aura slot; literally every half decent build would have mutation instead of any other option, because mutation is required on those guns. For something that doesn't need mutation, doing another 30% damage with bane mods is the best choice, hands down. This is meant to open up build diversity by letting us pick from a selection of underused mods or more or less equal value without gimping our builds; with bane and ammo mutation in the options, that would not occur because bane and ammo mutation are better choices than magazine size or reload.

I think these shouldn't be auras, just special mods for a weapon.  Give each weapon two "proficiency" mod slots, classify these mods as such, and let players stuff these mods and only these mods into those slots.  They can even cost mod points for all I care, it'd just be nice to look at all of my utilities (the one's worth taking anyway, status chance mods need a HUGE buff) and decide how I want to better perform with my weapon.