Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino Prime Golden Iron Skin Feedback Megathread

HourGlazc

People suggested to make Rhino prime ironskin to be golden (because its suits Pimp-style of Primes) - DE agreed with this. Deal with IT! Its the same thing as being unable to colour the golden trim on primes. Go swager or go home.

Edited by derclaw

A reason for why Rhino Prime's Iron Skin should be gold is because unlike the other Primes, Rhino's Iron Skin is an ability that replaces a significant amount of its appearance during normal gameplay. It also has the unfortunate effect of obscuring the color features that differentiate Rhino Prime from its normal counterpart. When you see a Mag Prime, its golden tints make it apparent that it's a Prime; and Ember Prime's gold is physically designed differently enough that you can tell it's a Prime at a glance, not to mention its flaming head. (Now I do think Frost Prime needs more obvious gold in its body, as replacing its helmet makes it nearly identical to the normal). Hence, why not make Rhino's most visible ability - Iron Skin - more obviously "Prime"?

Thinking about it some more though, having the Gold Iron Skin have the same level of specularity as the Boltor Prime - or other Primes - gold would be a bad idea. While the level of shine on Primes is perfect, that's only because they're trims and thin parts. Given how much of the Rhino's body is covered by Iron Skin, having a very shiny Iron Skin on the same level as Prime Gold would make Rhino a literal eyesore especially in bright environments like Phobos and Orokin Void.

I still think the current implementation of Iron Skin doesn't look too good, mostly because of its base color, which appears more dark green rather than yellow. As someone who's personally experienced trying to replicate gold in digital art, it's too easy to make gold look green due to how close the two colors are in the color spectrum. Thus, most gold in digital art is made out of a bright yellow with dark orange, brown, or white mixed in, which makes for better golden colors. A fix I can suggest is to reduce the reflectivity of the Iron Skin as noogums suggested (so it doesn't reflect environment colors so easily), increasing specularity to give it shine (not to the same level as Prime Gold though), and finally changing the base color to remove the greenish tint.

Now that I think about it, the reflectivity and specularity changes to the Gold Iron Skin could also benefit the normal Rhino Iron Skin, to make it truly look Chrome.  

That's all unnecessary so I put it in a spoiler. My point is, if Rhino is getting special ability changes (in addition to the controversial stat change) other primes should get the same treatment.

Rhino Prime's helmet, nobs, and shoulders are pretty clear indicators of his prime status. If Rhino Prime get's golden Iron Skin purely because he is a prime, maybe Frost Prime should get a Golden Snow Globe. Excal Prime should get Golden Skanas for his Radial Javelin. Why not make Iron Skin gold? Because it is unnecessary. If Rhino Prime is getting extra stuff, so should all the other primes.

On Topic: Its called Iron Skin, not Chrome Skin. IMO his Iron Skin ability (both prime and non-prime variants) should remain as they are in normal (non-prime) form.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

That's all unnecessary so I put it in a spoiler. My point is, if Rhino is getting special ability changes (in addition to the controversial stat change) other primes should get the same treatment.

Rhino Prime's helmet, nobs, and shoulders are pretty clear indicators of his prime status. If Rhino Prime get's golden Iron Skin purely because he is a prime, maybe Frost Prime should get a Golden Snow Globe. Excal Prime should get Golden Skanas for his Radial Javelin.

Actually, I like all those ideas in principle. Prime Warframes have the least improvement over their normal counterparts of Primed items, why not make their abilities flashier to compensate?

As I mentioned though, Iron Skin is an ability that's also a bodily cosmetic, something none of the other Prime Warframes have. Thus, its aesthetic appearance should match Rhino bring a Prime, and should enhance Rhino's appearance as a Prime instead of obscuring it.

Finally, the thought of Rhino getting a new Iron Skin came to me when I was playing with a Rhino Prime in a match, yet I didn't even realize he was a Prime until he I got a very good look at him standing still. In matches, I can always easily spot Mag Primes and Ember Primes even in motion, yet Rhino Prime was hard to differentiate with Iron Skin on, since it obscures some of the physical changes on him, like the larger shoulders.

Finally, Iron Man is gold and red, yet we don't call him "Golden Red Man". =P

Edited by LGear

zjfjq1.jpg

On open maps this looks glorious, that was fast fix :D

that is the single most epic thing I have ever seen when it comes to rhino... just ahead of the neat color schemes possible with Rhino prime, and Rhino prime itself just behind that...

Huh. I turned off color correction, and for some reason everything looks better.

In that picture, most of the green seems to be based on specularity coming from the surrounding gold which is being reflected a little too green, which is a common thing with gold/yellow colours, if there is blue involved, be it in the lighting, or the specular settings of the Iron Skin.

That being said, I still think that toning down the reflectivity and tweaking the shader settings could produce a more pronounced gold. I'd like this thread to be kept alive long enough to get a Dev's input on this, since I'm just going from what I can see.