Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Was Completely Wrong About Bows

(PSN)x35_DOuBLeTReYx

Look, you have your way of doing this and I have mine. Normally I don't go with Viral/Gas but with full Corrosive, as is the most effective element in Void, No mater what you shoot against. But when I used it, I saw the difference and enjoyed going around killing normal enemies on sight and the big ones when I don't look at them (They were killed by the poison). I completely understand your build and your point, and and both are good, but in my experience my build is good too. Let's leave things that way and not turn this thread into a pointless debate.

I don't think he's arguing against your build specifically, its more that he's countering the popular misconception that Hammershot is this great mod. Its not bad, but there are always better options.

I don't think he's arguing against your build specifically, its more that he's countering the popular misconception that Hammershot is this great mod. Its not bad, but there are always better options.

I am not saying that is GREAT, but countering HIS misconception that it is useless, which he said in his first post here about the build.

I am not saying that is GREAT, but countering HIS misconception that it is useless, which he said in his first post here about the build.

I never said Hammershot is a useless option; that was the person you initially responded to. I actually stated that there are a few situations (the Corrosive build vs Ferrite armor) in which you would actually get slightly higher dps. However, that doesn't change the fact that you will do more damage the majority of the time when using an additional element instead of Hammershot. The higher calculated damage and versatility vs different enemy types outweighs the slightly higher crit multiplier and small status chance increase in most situations.

It's not useless, but it is demonstrably inferior in *most* situations.

Edited by Leuca

Couple pointers:

- You don't need Arrow Mutation most of the time, provided that you use charged attacks and not uncharged spam.

- Thunderbolt is quite unreliable and doesn't scale, making it a very poor choice on anything past level 20. Great fun, though.

- Your bow is already incredibly fast with Speed Trigger and has innate punchthrough. Shred is not needed; you'd be better off with Fast Hands if fire rate is what you want.

For the build that you have in there, replace these three mods with:

- Element1

- Element2

- Element3 / Fast Hands / Hammer Shot / something else

Don't use Bane. It's faction-specific, it doesn't have a hearty %Status boost, and it only has +2-3% damage over Hammer Shot, which is negligible at best. Hammer Shot is practically a direct upgrade.

Edited by SortaRandom

Couple pointers:

- You don't need Arrow Mutation most of the time, provided that you use charged attacks and not uncharged spam.

- Thunderbolt is quite unreliable and doesn't scale, making it a very poor choice on anything past level 20. Great fun, though.

- Your bow is already incredibly fast with Speed Trigger and has innate punchthrough. Shred is not needed; you'd be better off with Fast Hands if fire rate is what you want.

For the build that you have in there, replace these three mods with:

- Element1

- Element2

- Element3 / Fast Hands / Hammer Shot / something else

Don't use Bane. It's faction-specific, it doesn't have a hearty %Status boost, and it only has +2-3% damage over Hammer Shot, which is negligible at best. Hammer Shot is practically a direct upgrade.

You mean USE Bane mods because they are faction specific.  Bane mods are one of the best damage modifiers around.  Try 12% better that that Hammershot build above.   

Avoiding Bane mods is a bad idea with respect to pure damage output.   Except for maybe tower missions but even then I leave in the Bane Mods for Grineer on one weapon and maybe an Infested on another to deal with the most annoying mobs.

You mean USE Bane mods because they are faction specific.  Bane mods are one of the best damage modifiers around.  Try 12% better that that Hammershot build above.   

Avoiding Bane mods is a bad idea with respect to pure damage output.   Except for maybe tower missions but even then I leave in the Bane Mods for Grineer on one weapon and maybe an Infested on another to deal with the most annoying mobs.

Let's do some math.

Dread and PPrime have 100% Crit Chance when modded, and 200% base crit damage. Let's apply a Vital Sense mod to it for 120% more Crit Damage (scales off base value).

Crit Damage = (200%) + (120% of 200%)

Crit Damage = 440%

This is effectively our Base Damage value. Now, let's apply Hammer Shot. Additional Crit Damage stacks additively with current Crit Damage.

Crit Damage_HS = (200%) + ((120% + 60%) of 200%)

Crit Damage_HS = 560%

Now let's try it with a Bane mod. Bane modifiers simply slap a straight-up multiplier on overall damage.

Crit Damage_Bane = ((200%) + (120% of 200%)) * 130%

Crit Damage_Bane = 572%

As you can see, Bane is slightly stronger. Calculating the percent difference:

%Difference = |Bane - HS| / |bane|

%Difference = |572 - 560| / |560|

%Difference = 2.1%

Bane does, indeed, only boost the bow's damage by 2.1% more damage than Hammer Shot. For the huge bonuses that HS has (not being faction-specific, and having 40% additional Status Chance), this means that HS is practically a direct upgrade due to the negligible boost that 2.1% gives.

If you (understandably) don't trust my calculations, then by all means, go and test it out on DPSFrame. Or, if you

(even more understandably) don't believe DPSFrame, then go and test it out ingame.

Edited by SortaRandom

bane mods dont work in the tower, as the grineer/infested in there arent grineer/infested, their corrupted and there are no corrupted mod variants.

-snip-

AKA, 1.3/2.8*2.2 = ~2.1%, since Paris Prime/Dread are 100% crit chance.

Bane is definitely a much more attractive option than Hammer Shot for weapons that have lower crit chance, but for 100% crit chance weapons Hammer Shot is a decent choice if you want some additional status chance to go along with it and the ability to use that slot without having to change per faction, and Bane barely provides any bonus over it.

Except for maybe tower missions but even then I leave in the Bane Mods for Grineer on one weapon and maybe an Infested on another to deal with the most annoying mobs.

Bane mods do not work against their Corrupted counterparts (ex. Bane of Grineer has no effect on Corrupted Lancers or Corrupted Heavy Gunners). I just tested this alongside a bunch of other tests I was running.

I wish that 3 forma lanka i have was as usefull as the eaiser to get bows

when we unlocked the lanka with just the 3-5 of us in the clan way back before it was cheaper for smaller guilds.... so that was one expencive gun only for it to be out done by a weapon i got for free by accident from a joke who died instantly at the time

I wish that 3 forma lanka i have was as usefull as the eaiser to get bows

when we unlocked the lanka with just the 3-5 of us in the clan way back before it was cheaper for smaller guilds.... so that was one expencive gun only for it to be out done by a weapon i got for free by accident from a joke who died instantly at the time

by the time i bothered getting around to aquiring the lanka, the vectis was released, which actually felt like a sniper rifle as opposed to an electric firing bow.

Bane mods do not work against their Corrupted counterparts (ex. Bane of Grineer has no effect on Corrupted Lancers or Corrupted Heavy Gunners). I just tested this alongside a bunch of other tests I was running.

That is important to know and I didn't know that.  I'll make my "C Slot" non-Bane builds now.    Thanks!