Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfic]Eyes Of Lotus(30/3/14, Chapter 2)

W4RH3AD

Totally fictional, any name used in this story/fanfic that resembles anything that is already existing in Warframe is totally coincidental.

EDIT: 30/3/14 Chapter 2

This is in the same universe as my other fanfic (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/125490-fanfictionthe-secret-war/#entry1486226)

----

Chapter 1: Nano

Pain. Hopelessness. Anger. Those were the feelings she felt as she watched the Tenno with a flaming intricate helmet infront of her throw a golden spinning disk that was apparently very sharp. It pierced through her Crewman helmet, cutting her throat open, blood gushing out instantly. She dropped her Dera rifle and used both of her hands to try and block the tap that was her open throat. She tightened her grip on her neck, as if she was choking herself. It was no use. She felt her strength disappearing, and soon, her own legs could not hold her weight, and she collapsed onto her knees, a loud thud on the cold metallic ground was heard. Even as the pool of blood around her became bigger, she continued to glare at the Tenno with the flaming helmet.  It was spewing flames from its hand, like the demons from Old. Even as she watched her would-be killer, she could not help but stare in awe, as the power it wielded both fascinated and terrified her.

She heard the anguished screams of her fellow comrades, as they dropped down on the cold metallic ground with a thud. They were nothing but indistinguishable flaming husks. The smell of burnt flesh was overpowering and she almost vomited if not for the fact that she was choking on her blood, Beside her, another burning husk feel down, the hungry flames that enveloped it was reaching out for her, burning her exposed skin. This time, she recognized the dead crewman beside her as Dover. He still owed her a few thousand credits. If he thinks dying will get him out of his deb-

Her thoughts were cut short as the Tenno with the flaming helmet infront of her threw an empty clip and slotted a new one into her pistol and aimed it at her head all in the span of less than a second. She was kneeling infront of the Tenno with both hands tight against her neck as blood trickled down. She did not close her eyes, she stared back at the Tenno as a last act of defiance. I won't give you the satisfaction of seeing me die breaking down and begging for my life, monster. They stared at each other for awhile. She felt like it was for hours, as the pistol continued to be aimed at her head, without wavering at all. Suddenly, without warning, the Tenno with the flaming helmet simply stopped aiming her gun and ran past her.

She tried to comprehend what happened as she continued kneeling in her pool of blood, alone, in the hallway of her ship as the burning husks of her comrades lie around her. Her breathing was haggard, and it finally dawned to her she was spared. With a new sense of hope, she tried to stand. Only to collapse back onto the ground. It also came back to her realisation how bleak the situation was. She lost a lot of blood. She was probably going to die of blood loss. Haha.. hope really is the path to disappointment.. she laughed at herself as she finally realise there was no surviving. Even with both her hands still clutching her neck, she lay on the cold ground, shivering slightly, as death was fast approaching.

And then, she heard footsteps getting nearer and nearer towards her. She adjusted her head slightly and saw a red and white slim Tenno, with a helmet that had a green circle in the center, with somekind of hook ontop of it. She wondered for awhile how the Tenno could see with their helmets. Do they even have eyes? Questions she knew she would never have the chance of knowing. As the red and white Tenno approached her, in composed and elegant manner, the Tenno brought up her pistol with one hand and aimed it at her head. This time, she let herself close her eyes, and simply let her thoughts wander. Grief, sorrow, pain, hopelessness, anger and gratefulness. Those were her last feelings. She heard a gunshot and there was nothing. Her last regret was that she never got back her credits from that good-for-nothing Dover.

Slowly, she felt her consciousness crawl its way back to her rightful body. Slowly, her vision came back, and infront of her was a dead Crewman, its hands still stuck around its neck. There was a black smoking hole on his forehead. He had his eyes closed. Slowly, she stood up. She was experiencing some imbalance, and her legs were shaky. Suddenly, the door opened, and a Rhino with a Datamass in his hand emerged.

"There you are! We thought you were... Nano. Did you.. do it again?"

The red and white Tenno, a Nyx named Nano nodded her head.

"I just wanted to test it out again.." She answered sheepishly

"Lotus be damned! Nano, we have no idea what the extent of your power is, tis' dangerous! What if there were other Corpus forces lying around in wait, you would have been exposed!" the Rhino exclaimed, concerned and flustered.

"Cool your head, Oshvo, I had mind-controlled Crewman guarding me," And as if on cue, two Corpus Crewman, with Dera rifles on their hands emerged from the shadows and aimed their guns at each other, before pulling the trigger, killing each other at the same time. There was no need for them anymore, their mission to guard her was completed.

"Still, your power is.. unusual, we still need to further understand it before you start using it!" Oshvo, the Rhino continued to lecture her. Behind him, a Tenno wielding an Ember Prime emerged, she was holding on to another datamass.

"Okay, I got the last one, let's go-" she was about to run out until she realised that two of her comrades were in somekind of argument. Putting both her hands on her hips, she asked, "Okay, what is going on here now?"

Oshvo answered, "Nano used her power to see the last moments of that Crewman over there," as he pointed at the Crewman.

The Ember Prime looked at Nano, "What? What were you thinking?"

Nano simply said, "It's getting stronger Exa, I saw more than his last few seconds, I saw minutes of it."

Exa, the Ember Prime, felt her hands dropped to her side. "Your.. psychic powers are uncontrollably strong. I have fought alongside many other Nyx, you are the first Nyx to tell me you could actually do see a person's last moments using their minds psychic backlash when they die, we have to ask Lotus-"

"Lotus?! Bah! She cannot be of any help." Nano blurted out.

There was awkward silence between the three Tenno as they knew themselves that the Lotus simply gave them missions and rewards for their missions, never have they talked to her.

Oshvo, spoke up, breaking the silence, "Enough, we just have to find the answers to your overpowering psychic capabilities Nano. Until then, you are not to exercise any of your powers anymore, lest unfavourable consequences will happen again."

Nano simply nodded her head as she was reminded of the first time she accidentally touched the corpse of a Grineer trooper when she was knocked down. She went into a coma, after experiencing all the pain, regret. thoughts and emotions the Grineer Trooper was feeling throughout his last moments. And when she woke up, she almost lost her sanity, thinking she was that same Grineer Trooper, and with murderous intent, attempted to kill her two closest comrades. If they were not as skilled as they were, she would have probably succeeded. They saved her, at the cost of almost losing their lives. She shivered at the thought of having go through a similar ordeal.

"Fine, let's go." she said, running off, leading the way to the extraction.

Even as she was running, there was an aching part of her mind, like a small voice trying to talk to her in her mind, it took all her effort to block it. But she could feel that slowly, very slowly, it was creeping, worming itself into her mind, and soon, her defenses would crumble and she feared, her mind would not be own. When that happens, she thought to herself looking behind at her two comrades, Oshvo and Exa. I hope to Lotus they would have the strength to pull the trigger.

----

Afterword: Hiii, this is the 2nd fanfiction I am writing,

Hope you enjoy it!

What is with the title, you ask? Everything will be made clearer in the next few chapters ;o

Edited by W4RH3AD

Thanks! Glad that some people find this actually interesting. I'll be churning out the next chapter(s) by tomorrow, hopefully.

Oh, and this is totally fictional, and is not related to real people/clans. As in, if there is actually a clan named 'Eyes of Lotus', then this isn't a story about them, and forgive me for using the same name for my title or the names for my fictional characters so far, if anyone actually has those as usernames. I'll put this on top so people in those clan won't think I'm writing some mediocre lore about them. ;p

Chapter 2: The End of The Beginning

Alone and isolated, under the small confines of her own shuttle, Nano was kneeling in the centre, deep in meditation. Surrounding her like a shroud, a gentle green mist was slowly orbiting her. It was ghastly silent, only the constant hum of the engines could be heard as the shuttle continued to drift in the cold vastness of space, heading nowhere in particular.. an insignificant small speck among the shining, bright stars in the Solar System.

Inside her mind, Nano was reflecting about her recent experiences. She realised it helped keep her powers in check as well as her sanity. Upon delving into the minds of her enemies, like the Crewman in her previous mission, she would sometimes lose 'parts' of herself.. forgetting which memories and emotions were truly hers. Every time she dives into the mind of her slain enemies, some of the memories that makes her who she is would be overridden by the memories of that particular enemy, as she felt the overpowering emotions of death by the last dying moments of a consciousness. As a consciousness nears death, the emotions and thoughts are heightened, and when the last remnants of that consciousness is extinguished like a single candle in a completely dark room, a strong mental backlash would be felt. As a Nyx, with psychic powers that was a level higher than a normal one, she would be able to feel this strong backlash as she tries to dive into the mind of a the newly dead enemy. Like a magnet getting repelled with the same end, it would try to push her out. The strong backlash would temporarily overcome her mind before she could finally reach the mind of her enemy. Afterwards, her state of mind would be unstable for a period of time. But as she does it more often, she becomes more used to it, the period of time she would be unstable would be shorter. She would then use meditation as a means to recover, an attempt to regain parts of her identity she has lost.

Carefully, she felt her spirit lift itself from her weary body, and into her mind where she watched image after image play itself infront of her. She watched an image, a memory, of herself when she was in a mission, newly awakened by Lotus, being pinned down by Grineer forces as she clutched onto a datamass. A duo of Tenno, a Rhino and an Ember Prime, appearing seemingly from nowhere, and laying waste to the Grineer forces as if they were nothing. Completely unfazed by the slaughter they unleashed in such a short time, they ran off into the distance, continuing the mission. Her younger self, still clutching her datamass and Lato ran after them, telling them to wait for her. She smiled fondly at this memory, as it was the first time she met the two people that would be her closest allies, Ohvo and Exa. The image continued, showing her, defending the terminal with the two Tenno, destroying horde after horde of Grineer. It was a good time. It was the time also, after the mission, did she become part of a clan.

She looked onto another image, this time it showed her, standing over the corpse of a Volt. The image continued, she was moving. Her hands reached out for the dead Tenno, slowly. As her slender fingers came into contact with the cold and motionless Tenno, she felt a sharp pain in her head, her entire vision going in and out of consciousness, the whole world was turning and turning. Disorientated, she collapsed onto the ground, where she clutched her head in agony. Image after image assaulted her mind, memories of the dead Volt was trying to get into her head. Unable to bear the pain anymore, she fainted. As she woke up, the Rhino Ohvo, and the Ember Prime Exa were kneeling beside her. Trying to get her bearings, she looked around in the room. The entire room was deformed and twisted, there were metal and glass all bending in completely unnatural angles, the ground, the walls, the ceilings were all twisted. "What.. what happened?" a deep voice interrupted her thoughts as she continued to look around the room. The image suddenly changing halfway. She cursed. That was a bad memory. She remembered, this was the first time she realised there was something.. different about her powers. The next image she was looking at was in the eyes of a Grineer trooper, the feeling of pride was very strong, as he and his squad stormed the Corpus outpost. The Corpus were caught completely off-guard, being killed off before they could even fire back. He laughed as he butchered them, the smell of Corpus blood was in the air. Victory was close at hand. Though, it would change in a few seconds. Without any warning, his squadmates, his brothers, who were reveling in the slaughter, collapsed, motionless. He stared, confused, at his dead comrade. Before he could comprehend what the glinting metal protruding from his comrade's face was, he felt a sharp pain in his back and head, killing him instantly. Frustrated, confused, angry. The usual feelings associated with death. Nano watched this image play, and she immediately purged it from her mind, knowing it was not her own memories. If it was to continue lingering in her mind, she would probably develop unreasonable hatred for anything non-Grineer, like a normal Grineer trooper.

Nano continued watching image after image, purging anything that needed to be eradicated out of her mind. She watched fond memories with Ohvo and Exa, founding and building up a clan, to supressed memories of a Crewman's childhood in Mars. By the time she was interrupted from her meditation by a loud beeping sound from her shuttle, she was able to purge at least a thousand. But she knew there were still many more. As her body regained feeling, she stood up and went straight towards the pilot console of her shuttle. She pushed a button, and the loud beeping noise and blinking lights of the console stopped. A Rhino and Ember Prime appeared on her shuttle screen. She glanced at the time which was at the side of the screen. It was only 10 minutes after she went deep into meditation even though it felt like hours in her mind.

"We found someone who might be be of help." the familiar deep voice of the Rhino was heard. Ohvo.

"One of our acquaintances, a Loki named Gawa, knows something we might need to know." the Ember Prime, Exa, continued.

A third Tenno, a Loki, appeared on the screen. He bowed his head slightly. "I'm not sure we had the pleasure of meeting. I've heard all about you.. and your peculiar power." the Loki, said, sounding pleased.

"Hmph." Nano did not bow her head back. There was something about the Loki that made her distrustful towards him. But then, generally, Lokis were very sly Tenno, feeling distrustful towards them was normal.

"You might not believe me, but you are not the only one.. of your kind." Gawa continued, ignoring the blatant sign of disrespect from Nano. "I have met a Nyx, just like you. With immeasurable psychic power before."

"Who.. what?" Nano asked, failing to hide the interest in her voice. The thought of another Nyx just like her would be such a great relief.

Even though the Loki was wearing a mask, a smile must have formed in his face. "It has been one Earth cycle since I last saw her. She.. 'disappeared'.. she might even be dead."

"Oh." Her heart sank at the news.

"Ever since her disappearance, I have been investigating a peculiar group of Tenno. A clan to be exact. A clan full of supposedly supercharged Nyx, brimming with tremendous psychic powers. The Eyes of Lotus."

"Eyes of Lotus?" Exa asked first, before anyone else could asked.

"A very secretive group of Tenno. Considering the fact that all three of you seem to not know anything about them, I think the measures they take to be secretive is very effective."

"What do you know about them?"

"Virtually nothing. And I have been gathering as much information about them as I can for a considerable amount of time now. But one thing I can tell is, they actually exist. Despite their very thorough clean-ups, they occasionally leave behind.. 'souvenirs'. Artifacts that seem insignificant at first, but hint at their existence. And I have located one. And this one in particular is special.."

"Why were you even investigating them Why are you telling us all this??" this time, it was Ohvo who was asking the questions.

"An innate curiosity, nothing more." Gawa said simply. "We are all Tenno, are we not? I simply wanted to share my findings with allies."

Nano thought to herself she might comment on how suspicious it sounded, but she remained silent.

"Anyway, I have located one of this 'souvenirs' and I thought you all might be interested in retrieving it."

"Why don't you retrieve it yourself then, if you know where it is..?" Ohvo asked, finding the Loki suspicious himself.

"As much as I want to go and do that, I am busy currently with menial clan stuff. Apparently, there is a big storm brewing, and my clan is busy organizing itself for the upcoming event."

"Anymore questions?" Gawa asked, a bit frustrated from getting interrupted with so much questions. "Okay, good"

"The artifact that was left resonated faint psychic link. My scanners were only able to scan it for awhile. But I was able to pinpoint the location and coordinates. And now," a picture of a gigantic Corpus ship appeared on the screen, "there is a huge Corpus ship that was in that position. We have to assume the psychic link came from inside the ship."

"This Corpus ship is not the usual Corpus ship that Tenno would raid. I don't even think you have all have been in one before. But this, my friends, is one of those massive Corpus Indoctrination ships. It's a moving fortress, where the Corpus would send their recruits to get brainwashed and indoctrinated into the ideals of Corpus" the screen zoomed into the Corpus ship, where thousands of guns were constantly moving around, scanning the sea of space for targets. "Oh, and it's also very, very, well armed. It might be able to take down two Grineer Galleons without taking a scratch. It has ten times more Crewman than the normal Corpus ship, and even thousands more MOAs in it. It might even have a few Hyena packs prowling the corridors." The Loki, Gawa, was saying, as if he himself was proud at showcasing such a monstrous ship.

"Are you all still interested in retrieving that artifact?" he asked, half asking, half taunting.

Without hesitation, Exa answered, "Of course. If retrieving this artifact would help Nano know more about her powers, then yes."

"Yes. I'm also very curious how one of this 'Corpus Indoctrination ships' would look like from the inside,"  Ohvo, a warrior craving for battle, answered.

Nano was grateful for having such loyal friends, but as she looked at the zoomed picture of the Corpus ship, she cannot help but feel discouraged. It's going to take more than 3 Tenno to even get through all that.

"Hah. I like all your attitude. You are all either brave, or foolish. Then, I shall sent the exact location of that artifact and the coordinates of the ship. I pray that you would have a plan. Oh, and actually more Tenno backing you up. I wish you good luck. I would love to help take part in this mission, alas, I am too busy. Contact me once you have the artifact." Gawa said, before he disappeared from the screen.

With the three of them left, a question in their minds was also left. "How were they going to get in the Corpus's moving fortress?"

"Any ideas?" Exa asked them. "Well, we won't be able to enter that ship by just going in there normally, with our shuttles and all.."

"We're going to need help." Ohvo was clearly pumped at the prospect of assaulting a never-before assaulted Corpus ship. "As the founders of the clan Astral Axe, I vote that we make this a clan exercise. Involving all 90 members; everyone."

"No." Nano, was against the idea of endangering the lives of her comrades, her friends, for her sake. "This artifact might not even be there. This is too dangerous, we should just-"

"Yes, the chances of success would be greater if we had more people into this mission. We shall turn this into a massive raid, slaughtering every single Corpus Crewman we see." Exa agreed with Ohvo's idea.

"Are you two even listening to me? This is not worth the risk; that ship is too heavily guarded." Nano was trying to convince them, she felt nothing but complete dread at undertaking such a huge mission. "That ship can take on one of the Grineer's Formorian ships!"

"Nano, I can see you are concerned for everyone, but you have to realise that this is the only way for you to understand your powers is through the 'Eyes of Lotus' and the only lead we have is in that ship. It is a risk worth taking. You worry too much. We have Tenno warriors in our ranks, they're equally as strong." Ohvo, was the main founder of the clan, he would know all the members better, since most of them were his close friends, he recruited.

"Taking down a Corpus Indoctrination ship will be a heavy blow to the Corpus." Exa added. She too could not wait to take down the huge Corpus ship. "It would bring great glory; to be the first to be able to take down one."

Nano remained silent, she knew when they were both in their warmongering state, there was no way she could change her mind. She sighed, trying to remove the feeling of dread and gloom that might come in the future and tried to stay positive.

A few minutes later, the coordinates of the artifact was seen on the screen. A gigantic map of the insides of the ship was also sent as well. They stared, completely speechless and in awe at how complex the entire ship was. But soon enough, the natural leader and talented tactician that he was, Ohvo began telling them about his plan. Considering how big the Corpus ship was, 90 Tenno assaulting it would not be overkill.

------------------------

My bad. This took way longer than I realised.