Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Meditations On Our Situation

SarcasticShepard

++Datalog Retrieval Sucessful!

++Data Clean. Decrypting.....

++Reading from Audio File to Text Format....

Not even a full solar cycle has passed since I once more rejoined the ranks of the living. Well. Given the trail of death I have blazed since then, I suppose ‘stood atop the mountains of dead’ is more fitting—Void take it *crackle of dry leaves* Pardon the outburst, a leaf from one of the maple trees landed on my head. This room—a forest in miniature—is my favorite in the dojo, despite the occasional leaf. Everything in this room I built myself, which brings me back to the actual topic I was thinking about.

Resources. Every Tenno has been forced to gather and indeed, scavenge, for everything we need to survive. My sentinel, my warframe, even the tree in which I now perch and think, was built with resources collected from raids and the bodies of those who tried to slow us down. Think about it: we, the once legendary warriors of the Orokin, forced to scrabble for scraps of our primitive enemies and from the halls we once walked. We are in a resurgence, but barely shadows of what we once were.

The younger, more recently awoken Tenno have little inkling of what straits they are in. to them it is a game to re-hone their skills and learn to use something more than the simple Skana. They cannot see the sorry state of affairs.

Our raids, a distraction cell and a lone operative are a grim illustration of this. In our glory days, we would’ve swept through the ship in a storm of steel and brass, only pausing to collect the most choice of spoils. Now, we play a desperate game of cat and mouse while grabbing seeking anything to further our survival.

The exception to this, of course, are the Orokin Vaults—the treasure troves of technology we perhaps never saw in the Orokin era. Every clan, be it a Ghost or Mountain, has stories—and occasionally tech—of what could hide within. Initiate Tenno listen wide-eyed as stories flow through barracks and glimpses of rare tech are shown. The Orokin weaponry is another exception; how many of us have seen the strength of original Orokin technology and vowed to hold it in our hands or wear it as our second skin?

Even if we return to our true strength, we will likely never see the heights to which we once ascended. Our halls will never truly glow with the sheen of Orokin building techniques, but perhaps that is for the better—to imitate our forebears would be to invite their troubles as well.

For now, that’s all the time I feel like thinking for. *thump and crunch of dry leaves*

May our weapons stay sharp, and our minds sharper.

++End Audio File

++Write to Text Complete

++Saving to Local Systems…

++Replay? Y/N

Tenno Rants eh? I dig it.

There are plenty of talented people in Warframe's community, most of which being the artists in the other section that receive the most gratification. Not saying that they are simply better than us, but the majority of forum users here prefer the eye-candy more than the gingko nut. In my honest opinion, our efforts (or you guys I guess, I don't really write novels or stuff that makes sense for realzies) pale in comparison to the attention those artist's content can captivate. Only a few gems manage to make it past the aforementioned stereotype, ranging from an assortment of genres (I'm still waiting for a good erotica literature post, but then again that just sounds creepy as hell and I shouldn't even put that in here).

I wish you the best of luck in your thread and a warm welcome to the community, Tenno.

The Grineer. Not the most frightening of enemies, but possibly the most numerous in the system. There’s nostalgia there; my first kills after cryo were Grineer. And most of my kills after that. Even so, I have yet to escape the feeling of wrongness which comes upon me whenever I board one of their bloated galleons. Something about the angles is …off. Maybe it’s all the curves mixed in with the straight lines, or their weird circular windows and doors. Their architecture is as warped as their bodies—well, what’s left in any case.

Short term, they are the biggest military threat we have, as the art of cloning make their wars of attrition possible. I have come to the aid of many a young Tenno who has underestimated the power of Grineer in large numbers, and been forced into mad dashes to extraction when a wave of cloned flesh bursts from every doorway.

Long term…well, that depends on how skilled the successor to Tyl Regor is—and how easy to kill. If we continue to cut the throats of those unfortunate to attempt to repair the Grineer genome, we should see a slow collapse from within. The Grustrag Three, are a recent example of this; Grineer whose genes have deteriorated to the point of being mindlessly aggressive. Even before that, the suicidal charge of Butchers onto our blades and bullets was an early indication of how far the Grineer could fall.

Despite their views—make that delusions—of supremacy, they have been unlikely allies against the Corpus, particularly in securing our family-in-arms from Alad V, though this was before I awoke from cryosleep. Since then, I’ve had to deal with them attempting to poison Earth and rebuild the Formorian fleet—not that I’m complaining; the Lotus has compensated me well for my part in those incidents. At least they pay well for my services when the Infestation shambles through their territory.

Then, there’s Vor: the spooky relic of a Grineer—either he’s old as the solar rails or just ugly even by Grineer standards. His pistol-slash-hand-cannon is a testament to his ingenuity—not many Tenno have the time or patience to theorize, let alone design a hybrid technology like that. That’s why many of us prefer to steal it from him.

A final thing, while my mind is on the Grineer, Vay Hek—politician, inventor, psychopath—has been off the radar for a while now. Our radar. That’s not something easily done with the resources, captured persons of interest and lurking data-viruses we have access to.

I’ve been stocking up on raw materials the past few days. This garden has been a welcome oasis to relax.

If the individual is weak, there can be no strength in numbers

++End Audio File

++Write to Text Complete

++Replay? Y/N

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit, I enjoy keeping a record of my thoughts more that I originally anticipated, even if these files never see the light again. Nice way to think and relax.

The longer—perhaps too long—part of the last few cycles I’ve spent within the towers doing what many of us already done; assemble a piece of Orokin tech for ourselves. For the moment, I’ve managed to dig up a pair of ornate handles and a barrel unlike anything I have seen before. And every time I look upon them, I ask myself the same question: how did we lose this. Not the weapons, but the technology.

These weapons were once ornaments, or ceremonial armament, yet now they are among the most powerful of their kind, even among we Tenno. There were craftsmen among us once, Tenno who gave up the blade to craft them—that much I know my fragmented memory and the R&D we now do—but what happened to them? Memory loss likely would’ve crippled those forced to escape cryosleep, but there are also those of us who never lost—or have regained—their past thoughts.

The chilling possibility is not that they fell prey to our enemies or even the infestation, but that the Orokin saw them as a threat.

The dojo is busy today; much of the clan has been trading with others or replicating research in the labs. I’ll try to adjust the microphone to preserve the sound… There.

But why they would do that or not all leads back to the same question of why we took the cold sleep in the first place, which would be worth twice its weight in reactors and catalysts.

However, even from this, we have recovered. The Dragon Nikana at my hip was only made possible by the select few who were able to pierce back through history and glean the forging techniques. Our enemies, however, have chosen the path of innovator; the Grineer have no past to dwell upon and the Corpus view such drawing on the past ‘anti-innovation’. They can do what they like; we’ll always be there to sneak a prototype out from under their noses. The only true unity we all share is the Orokin legacy surrounding us.

Legacy is perhaps too strong a word. After all, we survived where they did not. And perhaps that means something.

The strength of a blade is in the hand of its wielder as much as the metal folded into it.

++End Audio File

++Write to Text Complete

++Replay? Y/N

This is… a, uh… different sort of audio log than my usual. For starters, I’m not in my tree, but in the command room of a former Grineer galleon. Former because all the former occupants are dead and our Corpus contractors are preparing to strip the ship of all they can carry. My clanmates and I are fortunately being ignored, which means we can add to our scant knowledge of Grineer.

At the moment, I have before me a dead Bombard-class, mostly because it’s out of the way of corpus work for the moment, and partly because my fellow warlord has laid claim to the only intact napalm launcher.

…Actually, he bickered with a Corpus for several hours before trading it for a pile of resources and credits, so I suppose I shouldn’t disassemble his purchase.

Anyway…cause of death appears to be either blast trauma or a massive hammer blow. Two of our cell have Pentas, I’m leaning toward the former. The armor appears to be alloy, a few centimeters thick, judging from the unmangled parts from at least the knee down everything is prosthetic—makes sense given the likely weight of the armor. Apart from that, not much appears to be prosthetic on the outside. Now to remove the armor—well, what we can of it…

*liquid from unknown source sloshes*

Well. Uh. We really can’t do that much of an internal look. The, Penta blast had the side effect of liquefying the Grineer within. Doubt even the Techocyte plague could make use of this one now. Wait, now that enough of the Grineer has drained away, I can now see that he-she-it had an artificial spine, likely to aid in holding up the armor and itself. It’s of a primitive design, with ports on the back, maybe to hook up to the armor which would make it more advanced than I anticipated. This also presents the possibility that the armor was fused on and only meant for partial removal.

Not much more we could get out of this one, even if the our Corpus contractors hadn’t just arrived. Most of them are keeping a wide berth from the puddle we made, almost more so than us. They may be indoctrinated proxies, but they still retain a significant chunk of free will. And with the surprise failsafe charges in the helmet. From what I had learned via a Mountain clan tech they weren’t too different from the baseline otherwise.

We didn’t touch Infected willingly. Well, I knew a few who used Ankyros on them. Used: they stopped because of the mess. Plus once they died, they did this thing where they transformed into fleshy plant-like things—with what I could swear were eyes. Or, if they were pulped well enough, they’d just liquefy. Like the Grineer pooling on the deck.

Well, that’s that. We just collected our forma blueprint from a few proxies and are leaving the galleon. I’ll be heading straight to the foundry when we arrive at the dojo.

A warrior is only as good as his weakest weapon.

++End Audio File

++Write to Text Complete

++Replay? Y/N

It’s been a…unusual…past thirty-something hours. Admittedly, I started them out unusually; doing a solo raid on a crippled galleon is not something I typically do. Not without a cell of either other clanmates or fellow opportunists. Yet, there I was, inching my way through a vent in my Valkyr and regretting not taking Ash every time the audio spines on the Bastet helm caught on the bundles of wires running along the top of the space. After visiting the Grineer shipyards, I suspected these were less vent shafts than old assembly spaces. What I needed right now was a nice empty space to drop down into and start wreaking havoc.

I turned, and a few shafts of light shone through the floor. I didn’t hear any of the staccato Grineer speech, so it sounded promising. Getting closer, I realized that the grate had melted—partially melted—so that a few of the bars had melted apart. Curiosity took over and I looked down into the gap. The room below looked as if it had been worked over by platoon of Scorches, but the common Ignis was incapable of making railings sag and sharp edges glow red hot.

My first thought was naturally ‘Orokin tech’, so I dropped in on a rip line, avoiding the hottest sections. Even then, the heat alarm triggered in my display and my Dethcube chittered its displeasure.

I was in what was once an air cycling chamber, a room with a huge intake stack—atop which I stood—a pair of raised doors on either end with one blocked from view by the stack and a third door set lower than the other two via mirrored sets of stairs. I was no expert on Grineer tech, but I don’t think much was salvageable there beyond the metal. I hopped down onto the catwalk, retrieving a scorched Detonite ampule from where it shone almost gem-like from a pile of ash.

Now that I noticed, there was a lot of ash—and resources. I scavenged my way down to the lowest section of the room—avoiding the melted-out staircases—and found the center of the blast. The heat had been intense enough that the grating now looked like the center of a fresh asteroid strike.

At the center of it was something that mostly resembled an Ember. ‘Mostly’ because—

*indistinct sound from unknown source*

I’ll have to continue this later, something’s come up. I’ll try to get back to my tree in a few minutes if this situation works out.

++End Audio File

++Write to Text Complete

++Replay? Y/N

• 3 weeks later...

All right…now where was I? Ah, yes, the Ember. I had never seen a frame in such bad shape. The leg baskets were burned to stubs, the top plume of the helm was basically gone and it looked like chunks of the frame had actually boiled away on the arms. My IFF didn’t even register that I was standing over a fellow Tenno.

We didn’t leave our dead in the field. Well, I suppose the lone operatives are the exception. If someone went down on a mission, we carried them to extraction. Pretty much the same procedure as for extracting incapacitated cellmates if we couldn’t perform a nano dump in time, which was much more often. This comrade was in far worse shape, but I would not allow her body to rest here—to leave it to the depraved scientists of the Grineer, or worse, allow it to be transferred to the Corpus.

I crouched down in preparation to pick the remains, and what was left of a Shade appeared from cloak. It was in slightly better shape than its master, but it had lost one of its dangly parts and the better part of the other in addition to the burns covering it. At least it could still move. Returning my attention to my comrade, I could not have been more amazed when a trembling hand rose and gripped my wrist feebly for a moment before falling back down. If there was ever a cry for help from another Tenno, this was it.

Without a second thought, I hoisted the Ember over one shoulder, trying not to think of what kind of pain the occupant was in. I pulled out my sidearm, internally relieved that I had brought a pistol that I was proficient in using. Fortunately, there was one door that wasn’t melted shut, and as a bonus, there wasn’t a small Grineer army waiting outside. However, thank the void, a Frost Prime was pulling neurodes from the piñata of a Grineer skull. To his credit, he valued his fellows over resources—unlike some of the newly thawed Tenno—and immediately made for extraction with me.

Note that Valkyr is not the fastest frame, especially while carrying someone. This made moving at anything faster than a jog impossible and made avoiding any fire almost impossible, and though I was giving better than I got, my shields were long depleted. Thank void for armor. We met up with a Banshee while passing through one of the batteries, which made passing through some of the larger rooms easier, and saved what was left of it.

Our trio finally became a full cell as a Volt blew out all the lights and probably Grineer implants in our current and next three rooms. It wasn’t that I didn’t mind not having anybody to fight—though the Valkyr had other opinions—but a darkened Grineer galleon is not the safest place to wander in. Case in point, I had to pull back the Frost from a ledge. Twice. And it happened to me as well. Lucky Banshee didn’t have the slightest problem.

Finally, we reached the extraction point and waited for our ships to burn their way in, an agonizingly slow process made even worse by the growing stream of enemies—at least until I used Hysteria coupled with Speed and painted the walls…well, red was the dominant color, but there were some grays and greens mixed in as well.

Finally, we were able to make our exit, loading in the Ember as gently as we could while under fire. Frost used the last of his energy to globe us in while we loaded her in. It lasted just long enough for us to see the enraged faces of the Grineer as we withdrew into the void.

None of the others really knew what was going on, so naturally they all ended up in my clan’s dojo. The gravity of the situation hit them, I think, as we set up the Ember in the medical bay. It was bad for her. I mean, the original Valkyr was essentially dead when she was retrieved from the Corpus—I know one of the Tenno who was on the retrieval team—and the Ember was in worse shape that. Once everything was set up, there was nothing much more we could do and we all dispersed in the dojo.

The Frost Prime is meditating in the observatory, probably enjoying the view. The Banshee was wandering in our main hall last I saw, might be also in the observatory by now. I have no clue where the Volt is, maybe running laps or checking out the labs.

Of course, I am in my tree, making sure that no more leaves fall onto my head. Trying not to imagine what kind hideous damage the medical bay has to try to heal.

An empty mind invites no good thoughts.

++End Audio File

++Write to Text Complete

++Replay? Y/N

Edited by SarcasticShepard