Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Need Separate Keybind For Quick Melee

Otaiken

Since melee 2.0 made made controls somewhat more complex rather than just mashing E, I would like to bind my melee attack to mouse 1. Unfortunately there's no distinction between melee attack with your melee equiped and quick melee when you have it holstered. So if I bind it to mouse 1 I won't be able to shoot with it.

So my proposal is this:

Make separate keybind for quick melee. Or the game could treat the equiped melee as a gun and the "fire" button could swing it. Though you have channel on mouse 1. I find having actual attacks on E while having channel on mouse 1 (that you don't use as often) rather cumbersome.

TL;DR: We need separate keybind for quick melee.

I was thinking similarly, although my idea was to swap (or have the option to swap) "melee attack" and "channel" functions when you have the melee weapon equipped.  So when you're using guns, quick-melee is unchanged, but when you equip your melee weapons, you attack with your normal attack button and channel with what's usually the quick-melee button.

I dunno if having the controls switch like that would be even more awkward or not.  I think I'd like it better but I'd have to try it first. XD

I was thinking similarly, although my idea was to swap (or have the option to swap) "melee attack" and "channel" functions when you have the melee weapon equipped.  So when you're using guns, quick-melee is unchanged, but when you equip your melee weapons, you attack with your normal attack button and channel with what's usually the quick-melee button.

I dunno if having the controls switch like that would be even more awkward or not.  I think I'd like it better but I'd have to try it first. XD

Please dont do this. Just let me bind my melee to left click when in melee mode, no swapping. There should be a set of keys for guns and a set for melee.

Please dont do this. Just let me bind my melee to left click when in melee mode, no swapping. There should be a set of keys for guns and a set for melee.

That's sort-of what I meant... I think?  I was suggesting that, when in melee mode, you attack with LMB while the quick-melee button becomes channel.  When you're in guns mode, quick-melee behaves as it normally does.  Though I'd want this to be an optional configuration.  But yeah, it might be a bit weird.

I should just stop. The more I try to wrap my head around what they've done the more it hurts. It's like the control setup was an after thought tacked on at the 11th or rather 13th hour.

Edited by Brasten

This was a little short-sighted on DE's part but I think we can forgive them since they worked their butts off to implement such a huge change.

The next hotfix should let us bind the quick strike to any key without affecting the normal melee strike, basically creating a new binding. That would let us bind it to something like "P" so we can just forget it since quick striking is useless anyway.

Since that's just a bandaid, they should then make a proper patch:

1 - Create a group of keybindings for melee and another one for ranged

2 - The two groups are independent so that the same keys can be assigned to different bindings (E both for quick strike in ranged mode and channeling in melee mode)

3 - Long "F" press switches to melee AND to the melee keybinding group.

This would let us use E for quick strikes when using a ranged weapon and for channeling when using a melee weapon.

Absolutely agreed. What is the point of having my melee as my primary equipped weapon, if I can't use my primary trigger to use it?

In "melee mode" I say make it so "fire" is attack, "aim" is block, and "reload" is channel.

Better yet, let us choose and pick with separate bindings.

It's just weird that they would invest all this time in developing Melee 2.0 and not think of the controls.

Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.

But more than just one separate key bind, I'd like to just have separate key bindings for all melee mode actions that won't conflict with non-melee mode key maps.

Also, there are currently "switch weapons", "switch guns", and "melee mode" key bindings. Yet "switch weapons" does not equip the melee weapon into the rotation. Is this intentional? Its current function just makes it a redundent "switch guns" binding.

The "long F" does nothing for me, since I bind something else to the F key. Holding down the weapon swap key also doesn't work, because I've bound weapon swapping to the mouse wheel and there is no "long Wheel Roll".

Edited by Ryme

This is exactly what I came here to say. Please, make it so. Putting all of my melee mode buttons onto the mouse makes much more sense than having to mash a keyboard button whenever I want to swing.

Not ot mention that holding E means you can't move to the right...

/signed

Can't even tell how crippled the usage feels... It makes me wanna throw my keyboard at the monitor. It's against every natural feeling I've had the past two decades of playing games where there are weapons and especial melee weapons.

I'd be in favor of a different keybinding set for melee mode seperated from the quick-melee binding when you're not using Melee mode.

Other than that I'd already be happy if they just switched the bindings around in melee-mode to Left mouse = Attack and Quick-Melee becomes toggle-able Melee channel, BUT only in Melee mode. I know that may not satisfy everybody that's why I'm in favor of a whole keybinding set for melee-mode instead, but it would at least be a band-aid that works for me in meanwhile.

3 - Long "F" press switches to melee AND to the melee keybinding group.

I can't support that "long"-press bullsh*t at all... Because I'm using my mouse-wheel to cycle through my weapons because that's pretty much the standard in 99% of all games out there. So they should NEVER have thought about using a long tap of a button to perform a weaponswitch - it takes too long and it's NOT fully relliable on every input device, prime example being the scroll-wheel.

Edited by MeduSalem

Make separate keybind for quick melee. Or the game could treat the equiped melee as a gun and the "fire" button could swing it. Though you have channel on mouse 1. I find having actual attacks on E while having channel on mouse 1 (that you don't use as often) rather cumbersome.

TL;DR: We need separate keybind for quick melee.

This. The original function was much more fun.