Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Dragon Nikana Shouldn't Be That Powerful

NikolaiLev

I will disagree with the op here, we needed a high-end top tier high damage melee weapon, now every side is happy.

Primary junkies have the Soma, secondary junkies have Akmagnus/Aklex/Dual Vastos.

And now us melee junkies now have the Dragon Nikana, even better that it's a sheathed weapon.

And for the mastery requirement, it better well be worth it, I've been waiting for some good melee weapons to come out ever since reaching Mastery Rank 10, but hey I guess I didn't need to go that far.

Dragon Nikana should be Mastery Rank 10 for all I care and the Nikana Mastery Rank 8. Maybe then, we won't have to see more useless threads like these that are otherwise QQ nerf threads like the majority of threads that comes across here.

But that's just me

Edited by __Kanade__

Where do some people get that we're so Anti-Nerf?  Holy cow, the Dragon Nikana is not even out a FREAKING WEEK!  And we're screaming for nerfs?

Really guys?  Does anyone actually HAVE one yet?  Really?

I do! 

It is glorious.

Of course, the damage is also pretty overstated for now; Melee still presents the same problem as it did before: Being mashed into the ground by ranged enemies, knockdowns you don't expect, Toxic Ancients, Disruptor Ancients and people who are very far away.

Sure, fully modded, it's a beast. Unfortunately for melee, most of its inherent downsides are still present, there's nothing you can do to take it away. But while you're in there, within the throngs of enemies, it is absolute, total, gratuitous fun. I love it. I hope they never nerf it. Even at high levels, sometimes the heavies take longer to kill than you'd expect. Doubly so for the Prosecutors, who are pretty resistant against the secondary elements that Heavies are week to.

This is not as OP as the OP would like to suggest. I've used it. It's great, but it is by no means the "Wrath of God" weapon we all think it will be. You still get shot, you still get swarmed, people still run in the opposite direction. But I repeat once more, that it is really, really fun. <3

Personally, I see this as a waste of time spent on creating model and skins for lower mastery rank weapon. Power progression tied to mastery rank is understandable. It's a controlled form of power creep which happens in many ARPGs. 

However, it's still a waste of good weapon design and skin on lower rank weapons. Could we have a mastery rank 8 Skana with stat tied to said mastery? That would be great.

Personally, I see this as a waste of time spent on creating model and skins for lower mastery rank weapon. Power progression tied to mastery rank is understandable. It's a controlled form of power creep which happens in many ARPGs. 

However, it's still a waste of good weapon design and skin on lower rank weapons. Could we have a mastery rank 8 Skana with stat tied to said mastery? That would be great.

Actually, I'd like that idea as well.

I proposed something slightly earlier in the post: dragon weapons for all tenno melee. You can choose only one at MR8, and then one additional one every set amount of MR up. Maybe 4 or 5 rank intervals.

Or better yet, let us just upgrade any tenno melee we like for a hefty cost in materials. Would certainly let us carry our favorite style of melee weapon for endgame.

i do agree, personally i kinda liked the nikana's skin better than the dragon version, because the former looks simple and slick, albiet lower stats

This is the ultimate weeabo game, ergo ofc the katana had to be miles better than everything else. Why? BECAUSE.

The fact that you're completely ignoring the era of the Galatine makes me want to slap you. Figuratively, of course. And the fact that, up until this update, the only "katana" weapon in the game was the starter sword that did less damage than pretty much every other melee weapon. In a game about space ninjas, filled with heavy eastern influence. 

I'm sorry you don't like Japanese culture as much. I'm sorry katanas aren't your favorite swords. Actually, no, I'm not. I really don't care whether or not you don't like them. Stop being obnoxious and spiteful over other people getting something to play with that they enjoy.

I agree that the Dragon Nikana is a bit powerful for what it is. I much prefer weapons that are sidegrades than weapons that are straight upgrades. I've been saying that for quite a while now, and my opinion hasn't changed just because the upgrade this time around happens to be a weapon I like. Still, your comment reminds me of people raging over the fact that the Blades Sword, Bolar's Oathblade, and the Dragonbane were present in Skyrim because they wanted to insist on everybody running around with beefy greatswords and warhammers. Okay, so the weapon doesn't suit your aesthetic style. Why do you have to rain on other peoples' parades over it? Just don't use it. 

The fact that you're completely ignoring the era of the Galatine makes me want to slap you. Figuratively, of course. And the fact that, up until this update, the only "katana" weapon in the game was the starter sword that did less damage than pretty much every other melee weapon. In a game about space ninjas, filled with heavy eastern influence. 

Ninjas didn't use Katana's. Unless they stole it from a Samurai. Also lastly, I'd say the skana with its pointy end looks more like a Chinese Miao Dao.

For referance

450px-Miaodau2.JPG

And lastly, I like how you think that because a ridiculous looking sword was OP. Now that there is a "KATANA" it must be OP too, because SPACE NINJAS!!!!

Edited by Simm

Ninjas didn't use Katana's. Unless they stole it from a Samurai. Also lastly, I'd say the skana with its pointy end looks more like a Chinese Miao Dao.

And lastly, I like how you think that because a ridiculous looking sword was OP. Now that there is a "KATANA" it must be OP too, because SPACE NINJAS!!!!

I know that ninjas didn't typically use katanas. They didn't typically use automatic rifles or shotguns, either. My point wasn't that "because the Galatine was OP, the Dragon Nikana should be too," it was "The Dragon Nikana is OP because it's new, just like how the Galatine was OP when it was new." The Skana may look like a Miao Dao to you, but the main idea was that it was the closest thing we had to a katana. As I mentioned before, this game has a lot of eastern influence. Much of it is specifically Japanese influence. A katana should be a matter of course, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be powerful. That doesn't mean anyone here is saying that it should be overpowered simply because it's a katana.

The people defending the Dragon Nikana aren't defending it just because it's a katana. They're defending it based on precedent. Stop flaunting your bigotry, please. It's saddening to see people like you criticizing others for fanboying over certain things, when you've got preferences of your own. 

Does anyone have it maxed to show how OP it is?

578 Slash with Pressure Point, Spoiled Strike, Jagged Edge, and Rending Strike. (Dunno if there are any other Slash+ mods out there that I missed.) 

It does some pretty crazy damage, but if DE really is going to go with Mastery-based weapon tiers, it doesn't seem too out there. It's simply more powerful than everything else currently released. Most of the older powerful melee weapons are lower-tier, too. 

Still, I'd much rather have sidegrades. :| 

The people defending the Dragon Nikana aren't defending it just because it's a katana. They're defending it based on precedent. Stop flaunting your bigotry, please. It's saddening to see people like you criticizing others for fanboying over certain things, when you've got preferences of your own. 

And what would my preferances be?

And what would my preferances be?

I don't know, and it really doesn't matter. Tell me about something you like - a book series, a television show, a video game, a cultural food, and I guarantee you I can find some arbitrary reason as to why you're stupid for liking it. 

Just imagine that for a second. I'd come off as pretty stupid and infantile myself, right? Get over yourself, and cut it out with the anti-Japanese culture hipster crap. Try actually contributing something useful to the ongoing discussion instead.

The Dragon Nikana is OP because it's new

The people defending the Dragon Nikana aren't defending it just because it's a katana. They're defending it based on precedent.

Because it's new, so the Nami Skyla does not deserve a "Davy Jones" version with unbefitting amounts of damage? 

578 Slash with Pressure Point, Spoiled Strike, Jagged Edge, and Rending Strike. (Dunno if there are any other Slash+ mods out there that I missed.) 

It does some pretty crazy damage, but if DE really is going to go with Mastery-based weapon tiers, it doesn't seem too out there. It's simply more powerful than everything else currently released. Most of the older powerful melee weapons are lower-tier, too. 

Still, I'd much rather have sidegrades. :|

This happens to be an upgrade of a sidegrade. So I'm pretty okay with it.

That number is pretty close to the damage I get, slightly higher, if you add Rending Strike.

The true power comes from the melee mode, though. Pump in some channeling nods and you have yourself a monster.

Still, whenever you swing, you open yourself up for retaliation; most times, enemies are out in the open and travel in groups. That's why I think no matter how op a melee weapon gets, unless it has infinite range it won't be able to compete with guns, generally.

It is highly contextual, and requires skilled use if you want to get out of combat alive. Guns are far simpler. But when you get into the right situation, the swords wreck havoc.

It's really, really fun. Try it. It's still a challenge, but you can go for higher level maps with more enemies, compared to the regular Nikana.

SOOOOO

dtxiUi3.png

This builder is not usefull for energy build and in-game performance, I want to see some one do huge numbers in game with it with no invis or any abilities before considering it OP.

Edited by Monolake

SOOOOO

dtxiUi3.png

nevermind

And let's not overlook that critical hit rating, that is only surpassed by a few fist weapons and dual ichor. Superior damage, superior status and critical hit chance. Let's just forget warframes and cover the Tennos in Dragon Katanas.

Edited by Simm

And let's not overlook that critical hit rating, that is only surpassed by a few fist weapons and dual ichor. Superior damage, superior status and critical hit chance. Let's just forget warframes and cover the Tennos in Dragon Katanas.

The crit is already calculated, looks like it has nothing on old Galatine. 

But this builder is not usefull for energy build and in-game performance, I want to see some one do huge numbers in game with it with no invis or any abilities before considering it OP.

Edited by Monolake

Let not forget here guys that this weapon has the highest mastery lock of all the melee weapons at rank 8 and has to be built using the clan dojo with a rare resource that expires. For the amount of work you put into obtaining this weapon, it should be doing more damage than let say the Dual Ichor which have a lower mastery rank of 6, does not require argon crystals, and does not require a prerequisite weapon to be already built to build. 

So, DE insists on making mastery rank directly correlate to power.  I don't think that's healthy for the game, as it reduces effective choices for endgame players immensely.  But it can be done well.  Just not like this.

The Dragon Nikana has about twice the damage of the normal Nikana, with bonuses to crit and stats to boot.  This is a little absurd.

I don't think direct upgrades should ever exist.  Sidegrades allow for much greater choice, and more interesting decisions regarding weapon loadout.  It'd be cool if the Dragon Nikana sacrificed status chance for raw damage, or so.

But if it's going to be an upgrade, it should only be a slight upgrade; having twice the damage just throws off the balance curve and leaves little choice for those who aesthetically prefer the simpler Nikana.

So, DE insists on making mastery rank directly correlate to power.  I don't think that's healthy for the game, as it reduces effective choices for endgame players immensely.  But it can be done well.  Just not like this.

The Dragon Nikana has about twice the damage of the normal Nikana, with bonuses to crit and stats to boot.  This is a little absurd.

I don't think direct upgrades should ever exist.  Sidegrades allow for much greater choice, and more interesting decisions regarding weapon loadout.  It'd be cool if the Dragon Nikana sacrificed status chance for raw damage, or so.

But if it's going to be an upgrade, it should only be a slight upgrade; having twice the damage just throws off the balance curve and leaves little choice for those who aesthetically prefer the simpler Nikana.

someone kill this man plz