Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bad Performance When I Probably Should Not Have

Dusklite

I think they need to make a setting where you can choose if you want all the left over particles, etc. being shown or not..(like the mod and ammo particles still being there after being picked up) also an option for view distance might be helpful. though this is not really a gpu problem for most of us. but i do feel in large maps that when i look at a corner of a map. (when already in that corner) i get better fps than when i look to the other corner of the map, standing in the opposite corner.

Edited by DuTchEr95

I would assume, based on what I've read, that an AM2/AM2+ motherboard is the core of the problem. I, too, have a Radeon 5770HD, but I've got an FX 4100 (AM3+) and I max this game out with absolutely no stuttering or slowdown in the FPS department. We can rule out RAM being a problem because my laptop runs this game (4GB RAM and an Intel HD 3000 chipset). So, I'm thinking it's your mobo.. which would be a terrible problem.. since that's not an 'easy' fix.

Edit: If Strac also experiences lag on an i5, then I'm at a loss.

Edit2: Dutcher's got the problem on an AM3. So disregard my post, basically.

Edited by ToxinReign

Wow look this guy has a beast pc and even he has fps problems!

May i know what your motherboard and your avg framerate is in warframe?

Btw i also run bf3 on high settings just fine, but warframe gives me bad fps too.

Where exactly do you see that? do you mean power options in control panel?

EDIT: just took a look there but saw no such option.

Start menu>Power options>Change Plan Settings (The one you are on)>Change Advance Power Setting>Processor Power Management>Minimum Processor State.   Also in this menu you can make sure your Max Processor State is 100%

I personally don't get much lag (lowest drop to 28FPS during heavy Infested D, normally run around 50-60).

I suggest turing off Shadows and setting your shader to low (this tends to be a hog and doesn't add much visually to the game).

I'm on a laptop with an i5, Dedicated GT 540 (1gig), 8 gig of ram and a hybrid HD.

this is probably going to sound worng, but have you tried to play without drivers for your GFX? the little (bad)experience i have with AMD is solved by removing the drivers (no joke).

Doing fine on both a laptop and desktop with the following specs:

Desktop:

MSI geforce GTX 580 PE

Intel i7 2600k @ 3,40 Ghz

16 gb 1600hz ram

Laptop:

Nvidia GTX 675M

Intel i7-3630M @ 2,40 GHz

8gb 1600Hz

Edited by Adaptor-Face

Start menu>Power options>Change Plan Settings (The one you are on)>Change Advance Power Setting>Processor Power Management>Minimum Processor State.   Also in this menu you can make sure your Max Processor State is 100%

Hmm i don't seem to have that option of max processor state.. only the option of passive or active cooling. i think that option is only available on a laptop? not sure.

I would assume, based on what I've read, that an AM2/AM2+ motherboard is the core of the problem. I, too, have a Radeon 5770HD, but I've got an FX 4100 (AM3+) and I max this game out with absolutely no stuttering or slowdown in the FPS department. We can rule out RAM being a problem because my laptop runs this game (4GB RAM and an Intel HD 3000 chipset). So, I'm thinking it's your mobo.. which would be a terrible problem.. since that's not an 'easy' fix.

Edit: If Strac also experiences lag on an i5, then I'm at a loss.

Well mine is a AM3 motherboard.. and i have the same problem.

Hmm i don't seem to have that option of max processor state.. only the option of passive or active cooling. i think that option is only available on a laptop? not sure.

Well mine is a AM3 motherboard.. and i have the same problem.

It could be an intel option as well as i have an i5

So, I have fps problems as well. Specs:

AMD PII x4 955 @ 4.0Ghz

M5A99X EVO (PCI-E 2.0)

8Gb DDR3 Ram @ 1600mhz (9-9-9-24-1T)

GeForce GTX560Ti x2 SLI (core:1050/mem:2550)

1Tb WD Caviar Black + 1Tb Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0

2Tb WD Caviar Black

SLI scaling sucks balls. When I disable SLI, the game runs slightly slower, and the game runs slight faster at 3072x1728 compared to 1080p with SLI -_-

In a defense mission, like Xini, at the cryopod the fps is horrible even with SLI disabled. All this points to a CPU problem. A guy with an i7 3820 is also having issues. I strongly believe this game should be optimized at some point instead of releasing so much content.

On a note, I can run Bioshock Infinite @ 60fps @ 3072x1728 with the High Preset and Normal Post Processing.

Get a PCIe 2.0+-compliant motherboard. Be amazed as your FPS problems vanish.

This ought to be mentioned in the system requirements.

I don't think that's the problem, honestly. If it was a mainboard issue, some of those who already posted here with a PCIe 2.0 compliant board would be liars if they say they have performance issues. I don't think they are lying.

Honestly, please stop the "buy this better hardware" help. That's not help.

Upgrading the system is not a solution anybody would need help with (well, duh - more expensive recent stuff = better performance, normally) or is willing to do so for a game which requirements one more than matches.

For me performance goes down when the map is pretty big and more and more enemies start appearing. Example: Tolstoj and Vos. Before snuffing the sucker, 45-60 fps. After and when enemies start spawning all over... less. Considerably so.

Is my CPU/GPU too weak? Nah, that would mean something would be bottlenecking. Can't see anything doing that.

Too little RAM? Nope. Warframe doesn't use that much.

RAM to slow? If that's the case, the system requirements are misleading since the minimum states a system that you normally can't have a DDR3 setup on.

Is it my PCIe 1.1 motherboard? I don't really think so, since there doesn't have to be all of the enemies on-screen for the fps to drop. It's not as if the PCIe BUS is overburdened. Also, as above, system requirements and stuff ;)

Add to that the fact that people with stronger systems have the same issue and you end up with "nah, it can't be the motherboard, either".

Drivers? Oh, please... ^^

So my guess: Currently, it's either something the engine doesn't like in our different setups - Torchlight 2 has quite a bit of that on their forums, and I'm affected as well - or, and that's where my money's on: the game needs further optimization. The last update (7.7.3) helped my multiplayer experience A LOT.

edit: 

Huh, just saw this got moved to a separate, new section in the forum.

That's cool. Shows that DE takes this seriously. I'm 20% happier now. ^^

Edited by Dusklite

edit: 

Huh, just saw this got moved to a separate, new section in the forum.

That's cool. Shows that DE takes this seriously. I'm 20% happier now. ^^

The performance subforum was created shortly prior to 7.7.3's release. We're trying to keep on top of every problem that comes in and since performance is vital to the experience we believe it deserves its own section on the forums.

It may seem disheartening to see so many posts without any mention from someone at DE but, trust me, every post helps. The more information that we can throw at this problem the better.

Wow look this guy has a beast pc and even he has fps problems!

May i know what your motherboard and your avg framerate is in warframe?

Btw i also run bf3 on high settings just fine, but warframe gives me bad fps too.

MainBoard : Asus X79 sabertooth -_-

It's not getting that low but still FPS drop.For me,FPS is lowered than 50 is problem.

Like my Laptop MSI GT60 has badframerate too.(possible that my laptop has low CPU speed)

BTW,to above comment,I have X79 which mean it's PCIe3 and still having framerate's problem.

Edited by Vertutame

I don't think that's the problem, honestly. If it was a mainboard issue, some of those who already posted here with a PCIe 2.0 compliant board would be liars if they say they have performance issues. I don't think they are lying.

First off, the existence of other users with problems should not be mistaken for the existence of users with your problem. That out of the way, let's get down to business.

I did some reading up on things, having forgotten what a mess AMD's CPU/platform terminology are. I found another detail that your case shares with that of Dutcher, who actually does have the same issue. You're both running at HyperTransport (HT) 1.0 speed. Yes, this means I was wrong about the cause, and I'm willing to admit that.

Your CPU supports HT 3.0, and your motherboard supports HT 2.0 @ 1.0Ghz, however on the product page for the Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H, there is a disclaimer in red which essentially states that installing an AM2+ CPU degrades the HT bus to HT 1.0 speed. Figures pulled from Wikipedia, representing theoretical maximums:

(let's see if this gets mangled when posted)

Frequency    Bandwidth

Max - HyperTransport 2.0    1.4Ghz          22.4GB/s

Max - your motherboard      1.0Ghz          16.0GB/s

Your board w/ AM2+ CPU    800Mhz         12.8GB/s

The Radeon HD 5770 cranks out 1360 GFLOPS, with a local memory bandwidth of 76.8GB/s. Anything that needs to move across the system bus during gameplay is moving at 17% of that transfer rate in your system. Granted, the system bus is never as speedy as local GDDR5, but I think we can agree in this regard you're running well below the designed specs of your components.

Also, I wanted to thank you for actually putting in the time to properly detail your problem and specs before asking. Too often I come across people who don't, and it results in a lot of time-wasting back-and-forth seeking more details.

First off, the existence of other users with problems should not be mistaken for the existence of users with your problem. That out of the way, let's get down to business.

I did some reading up on things, having forgotten what a mess AMD's CPU/platform terminology are. I found another detail that your case shares with that of Dutcher, who actually does have the same issue. You're both running at HyperTransport (HT) 1.0 speed. Yes, this means I was wrong about the cause, and I'm willing to admit that.

Your CPU supports HT 3.0, and your motherboard supports HT 2.0 @ 1.0Ghz, however on the product page for the Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H, there is a disclaimer in red which essentially states that installing an AM2+ CPU degrades the HT bus to HT 1.0 speed. Figures pulled from Wikipedia, representing theoretical maximums:

Frequency    Bandwidth

The Radeon HD 5770 cranks out 1360 GFLOPS, with a local memory bandwidth of 76.8GB/s. Anything that needs to move across the system bus during gameplay is moving at 17% of that transfer rate in your system. Granted, the system bus is never as speedy as local GDDR5, but I think we can agree in this regard you're running well below the designed specs of your components.

Also, I wanted to thank you for actually putting in the time to properly detail your problem and specs before asking. Too often I come across people who don't, and it results in a lot of time-wasting back-and-forth seeking more details.

I know about the HT issue and a new mainboard and DDR3 RAM is on my to-do list once I get the money (which might take a long time I'm afraid). And of course I don't automatically assume my problems are the same as others - I came to that conclusion by reading a bunch of other threads like this with people having the same symptoms. I could - of course - be wrong. That doesn't change a couple of hard facts, though:

- similar slowdowns on stronger systems. As I said, those may have other causes, but this is also a long shot. Most often same symptoms = same cause

- graphically hungry games run fine on my system

- slowdowns are the same regardless of eye-candy settings (including low resolution). I can't really say if that's normal if the system bus is actually choking.

Something that would speak for the system bus being the culprit is the low CPU/GPU usage, but that's something which stronger systems that shouldn't have it experience as well from what I've read so far.

I've read in the forums that Warframe currently under-utilizes your system resources for compatibility reasons. The few forum topics that claimed DE-Steve said this failed to come up with a quote or link, though. So if that is actually true somewhat hangs by a thread of goodwill. ;) Also, this specific problem has gotten better with the last update.

As for the thank-you for hitting you with my little wall of text: you're very welcome. :) I also find it frustrating when the most detail you get is "something is not working" and maybe some specs if you are lucky... ^^

No offense to those, though. I understand that not everyone has the time to properly write a report.

Edited by Dusklite

I think i have completely the same problem as Dusklite. though i have am3 processor and ddr3 ram and a somewhat better graphic card.

Frequency    Bandwidth

Where can i find info about that from my MoBo?

my MoBo is: N68-s3 ucc.

Which uses am3 socket.

Does this also apply to me?

EDIT: at this link:http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-S3%20UCC/

i found it said HyperTransport 2000 MT/s for my mobo which is 1000MHz

Also found this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/290827-30-motherboard-phenom

Seems like my cpu HyperTransport is 4000MHz

I don't know what to do with this information and how i should look at it.

can you give me an explanation ? 

EDIT2: Used CPU-Z and saw the HT-link is at 1004MHz

2prfzwp.jpg

Edited by DuTchEr95

The performance subforum was created shortly prior to 7.7.3's release. We're trying to keep on top of every problem that comes in and since performance is vital to the experience we believe it deserves its own section on the forums.

It may seem disheartening to see so many posts without any mention from someone at DE but, trust me, every post helps. The more information that we can throw at this problem the better.

Yeah, I never doubted that you guys are keeping watch on issues like that. I only (and I'm happy to say, wrongly) suspected it's pretty low on your priority list with update 8 in the making. I've done a bit of programming and I know it's pretty hard to track down performance issues in the code when there's features coming in at the same time.

And I've posted somewhere in a different thread about the same topic that we could need a single big thread to keep track of all the posts... and then you come along and dedicate a whole subsection to it. That surprised me...

...In a good way. :)

I don't want to advertise or something. but the more info on this subject the better.

So could my topic also be moved to the "performance bugs" section please:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/26705-low-fps-because-of-hardware-fps-around-20-40-cpu-no-gpu-no-ram-no-what-else/

There were quite a few others in the General Bugs section as well. If you guys haven't already combed them for information or if they don't stay inactive they could find a new home here as well. No need to move them if they're dead, though. ;)

Another weird thing i also discovered was that before i login in warframe i see around 430 fps (it's just a login screen so nothing special there).

but after i played a few missions and did some stuff in warframe and log out. the fps at the same login screen is around 320 fps. would this mean that the fps decreases the longer you play? just something i see everytime not sure if this affects gameplay fps though.

This doesn't happen if i just login.. and then log back out then i keep around the same fps (maybe 10 fps less at most).

Edited by DuTchEr95

small update on my post after addional testing (and update 7 and 7.x.x fixes):

I have i5 3550 @3.3 + GF550ti + 8GB,

game setting: 1920x1080, all ON except Anti Aliasing OFF, HDR OFF, shadow medium

SOLO almost no fps drop even on big maps and lot's of enemies (but I don't know the actual fps),

ONLINE (if I'm host) same as SOLO, no fps drop and no lag for me or my teammates

so maybe the problem is lies in optimization for AMD cpus ?

Edited by Strac_CRO

I got

i7-3770

680 GTX

8 GB 1600mhz ram

And i still lag and get 20-40 FPS in multiplayer. How is that even possible?

game setting: 1920x1080, all ON except Anti Aliasing OFF, HDR OFF, shadow medium

SOLO almost no fps drop even on big maps and lot's of enemies (but I don't know the actual fps),

ONLINE (if I'm host) same as SOLO, no fps drop and no lag for me or my teammates

@Strac_CRO: Switch the order of these posts around and you might get an idea. ^^

I got

i7-3770

680 GTX

8 GB 1600mhz ram

And i still lag and get 20-40 FPS in multiplayer. How is that even possible?

Wow your system should be overkill in this game (if the rest of the hardware is ballanced with it). could you say your other specs aswell?

OS, Resolution, motherboard, power supply, hdd, etc.?

Some people also stated to have fps problems with an intel processor.

But i'm not even sure if this whole fps problem is because of the CPU.

Well it's at least not the GPU. since changing from HD 4850 to gtx 660 didn't change a thing in fps.

After playing a while I'm just gonna throw a wild guess into the ring...

- AI pathing issues?

To elaborate on this: The worst fps drop-per-enemy is on Infested missions, followed by Corpus. Now we all know our friends the Grineer are the most likely to hunker down and fire from cover whereas the Infested mostly hunger for the smell of the blood on your sword and come rushing blindly from all sides often at once and in numbers. Corpus is a mixed bag. The crewmembers mostly moa chicken out and send their chickens moas into the fray.

Could be something different, though. Or something additional. Some occurring fps drops don't fit the pattern.