Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gun Kata

HavocWolf

Like melee 2.0, how about we revamp the way guns work?

I know that with most shooters its aim and shoot. But warframe is a bit "Unique" amongest shoorters, so I propose Gun Kata, which i hope most people know about, but for those who don't I'll explain.

To put it bluntly, its martial arts with guns. If you've every played Devil May Cry (and no that is not the only game with gun kata, so yo don't have to worry about copying them) its basicly what Dante does with his pistols.

Now thinking of a way to implement this was kidna tricky but i think i found a way. As melee 2.0 uses the E button, mouse buttons, and time cordinated presses, I suggest using the WASD buttons. The only thing WASD is used for right now, is movement, and thats about 50% what gun kata is about.

For instance, (and this is just an example but if this whole thing is implented i would love to see it in game) In Devil May Cry, Dante has a move where he jumps up spins and shoots, then flips upside down, spins and shoots. With gun kata in the game, we could activate this buy pressing the WASD keys in a circular motion right after you jump (ala W-A-S-D) either once (W-A-S-D) or constantly (W-A-S-D-W-A-S-D etc.) until you wished to stop and/or hit the ground after fliping upside down). And to shoot we would, as normal, continuously press/hold the left mouse button depending on what gun you had equipped.

On ps4 it would be the same thing except WASD would be the left thumb stick and fire would be right trigger.

This would involve the use of melee 2.0 "Stances" but instead might/would have a different name as to not get the confused and to fit the game play term better (couldn't figure out how to word that properly lol)

Multiple different inputs could be used to come up with different actions.

This isn't the final idea, as i know I'll get questions regarding many things like how to activate the "Gun Kata Mode" i guess you would call it, or "will this be unbalanced?". And I'll try to come up with those answers in due time. But in the mean time, i would like you all to think what this would be like in warframe.

Please give feedback and any ideas to add on to this and make it better would be appreciated.

Btw (PS4)silentkiln is my PSN so any replies with that is me lol sometimes i forget to change back to this account sorry about this inconvenience

EDIT: I think i figures out a way to activate "Gun Kata Mode" (and this is just a kidna of "Beta" idea) like melee 2.0, you as a default' hold the f key to weild your melee and these stances and combos become active. For gun kata, we could assign the mode to a key, press it to activate it, and press it again to unactivate it. Again this is just a starting idea, but hey, it's a start.

Edited by Brawleee

No.

Not very constructive.

As for OP: I think gun-kata would be a little bit too much for this game, weapons should play like in a normal shooter, this paired with the movement systems gives us enough possibilities in my opinion. A rework of all Warframe abilities is rather long overdue in my opinion, I hope something like this comes next.

While that would be interesting, especially when paired with Melee 2.0, and be very Tenno-style. actually implementing a system like that would be very difficult. Consider how long it took to get Melee improved. But like I said, cool idea I would support at least giving a try.

Not very constructive.

As for OP: I think gun-kata would be a little bit too much for this game, weapons should play like in a normal shooter, this paired with the movement systems gives us enough possibilities in my opinion. A rework of all Warframe abilities is rather long overdue in my opinion, I hope something like this comes next.

Thanks for the feedback but i dont think it that far out of line with the game considering what combos we can do with melee 2.0.

The idea of the gun kata is to cause the greatest amount of damage while being in positions to limit the likelihood of being hit by return fire, while this may work when you've overpowered weapons against low level mobs and can one shot them this wouldn't be the same against higher level mobs who take multiple shots to kill.

I think it should only be available if you unequipped your melee weapon so you press your melee button to go into gun kata mode which will help players with controllers.

Thanks for the feedback! And this idea might be good, but I would like it to be avalible whenever the play wants. And with controllers you could put it on one of the d pad buttons

While that would be interesting, especially when paired with Melee 2.0, and be very Tenno-style. actually implementing a system like that would be very difficult. Consider how long it took to get Melee improved. But like I said, cool idea I would support at least giving a try.

Melee 2.0 was, in my opinion, worth the wait. And I think this would be too. Lol

The idea of the gun kata is to cause the greatest amount of damage while being in positions to limit the likelihood of being hit by return fire, while this may work when you've overpowered weapons against low level mobs and can one shot them this wouldn't be the same against higher level mobs who take multiple shots to kill.

In equilibrium, the guy is in the middle of the firefight, making it very likely to be hit by return fire. We also do this in warframe. And gun kata in warframe would prolly be a bit different in the it may or may not kill enemies. ( they would obviously die eventually) gun kata would just be a way to do a bit more dmg to more than just one enemy at a time while dodging bullets and doing it in style (again this is just an idea in kinda of an alpha phase)

Edited by (PS4)silentkiln

In equilibrium, the guy is in the middle of the firefight, making it very likely to be hit by return fire. We also do this in warframe. And gun kata in warframe would prolly be a bit different in the it may or may not kill enemies. ( they would obviously die eventually) gun kata would just be a way to do a bit more dmg to more than just one enemy at a time while dodging bullets and doing it in style (again this is just an idea in kinda of an alpha phase)

Therein lies your biggest problem, doing damage to more than one enemy, as it would then require some form of auto targeting to hit several targets in different directions without you, the player, having to move your reticle to each target - resulting in a system where you can move into a group of enemy's then begin a kata and kill all enemies without having to aim and shoot them, which goes against the point of the shooting aspect of this game.

Thinking about this, what you described sounds like its best suited as an Ult ability for a 'Frame to be honest. Like Ash's Bladestorm but with handguns.

Thinking about this, what you described sounds like its best suited as an Ult ability for a 'Frame to be honest. Like Ash's Bladestorm but with handguns.

I guess but this seems like the only way to make gun play a little bit more advanced/unique rather than just aim and shoot. Again aiming and shooting would still be an option.

Good idea, and I back it up fully, as long as there are no pre-animated moves/combos/etc, I like to be in control at all times. Also, with a game as fast paces as Warframe, you can't be locked in place for too long.

I agree like many i guess "actions" could be you jumping over the enemy and shooting down at them, so there would be moment involved. However the animations have to be there, but you have control of the animation. So its not like you input the action and sit and wait. No, you would constantly be imputing actions, and the moment you stop, so does the animation. So you have complete control.

Edited by Brawleee

I think it should only be available if you unequipped your melee weapon so you press your melee button to go into gun kata mode which will help players with controllers.

I hadn't thought of that one, I think we're on to something here boys

Gun Kata has techniques designed to focus all fire on a single or very small group with the same benefit of staying out of the line of return fire. This should be sufficient enough to handle higher levels, specifically heavy units, that are the biggest threats.but again implementing this in a relatively balanced fashion is the challenge