Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Whip [Meteor Hammer]

MechaTails

Whips. They're awesome. What makes everything more awesome? Tying a mine to the end of it, so here you go, my version of what the Grineer might use as a "whip" lol. This is based on a type of whip called a Meteor Hammer, look it up if you want to see Shaolin Monks do all sorts of crazy stuff with it. (This is the single version, double meteor hammers have weights on both ends).

Anyway, Grineer aren't known for their graceful acrobatics (except when Heavy Gunners jump up 3 stories in Orokin Survival...), so this weapon isn't used like a quick snappy whip. It's a brute of a weapon used like a flail with a long chain, swung with both hands, causing lots and lots of property damage to everything and everyone around you.

How it looks

•The whip is made of cables

•The large segments at the end provide a 2-handed grip

•A mine is attached to the other end, I imagine it would look something like the Jat Kittag's face, with all the little things (triggers? detonators?) protruding

•To make it look even cooler when swung, fire can be spewing out of holes in the mine (so it looks like a meteor)

How it sounds

•Lotus compared it to the sound of a mountain exploding. This isn't a silent weapon lol

How it's carried

•When holstered: The whip contracts, the segments interlock making it look like a 1-handed mace carried on the Tenno's back

•When walking around: One hand on the grip, the chain drapes over the other hand, the mine drags/rolls along the ground, maybe sounding like a Roller. Yes, enemies will hear you coming... but that's the part I like. B)

343rrz6.png

Damage

•Tons of damage!

•Normal attacks deal Fire and Impact damage

•Blast damage added when channeling

Channeling

•While channeling, the weapon causes explosions on hit. They eat up a lot of energy to keep players from spamming explosions so they use them more tactically.

•Alternatively, channeling could make it attack faster and we simply give the weapon an innate high Blast proc chance.

Blocking

•This weapon can't actively block, but if bullets hit it while it's swinging, they will be blocked. I don't know if that's possible to code though.

•Alternatively, the whip can contract into a 1-handed mace shape to block. There is some delay before you can block though because the whip has to contract first.

Stealth Kill

•Are you Jat Kittag-ing me? This thing can't stealth kill lol. But fine, maybe you just throw the mine really hard at some dude's head and it pops like a grape.

•Alternatively, the standard strangulation animation could be used.

Jump Attack

•Pressing E in the air will throw the Mine wherever the cursor is pointing, yanking the Tenno with it.

How it handles

•Attacks start slow, the more it's swung the faster it gets (think of it like "wind-up").

•It's swung around the body with both hands, it never touches the ground. Animations should be more interesting than olympic Hammer Throw movements, those guys just spin like ice skaters.

•This weapon is obviously designed for mobs. It can hit all enemies in it's wide 360 arc, staggering or knocking them down.

•To give it a visual feeling of power, the arms are mostly used to swing it with the feet firmly planted. You can't walk very much while it's swinging. There can be a few body spins thrown in to the combos for variety.

Combos

I imagine button presses would be more frequent the faster it's being swung. (tap...tap...tap..tap..tap taptaptap)

The best way I can describe the swings is like a neutron revolving around an atom, this way it keeps swinging at different angles without touching the ground. "Neutron" would probably be a good name for this weapon. Maybe "Iron Sun".

•Mountain King Combo [Hold E, E, E, E, E]

Immobilizes the Warframe. Attacks build speed towards the final overhead swing which smashes into an opponent and causes an AOE shockwave.

•Cosmic Queen Combo [E, E, E, E, Pause, Hold E]

The first few attacks build momentum, the fourth E swings upward, pausing causes the momentum to pull your Warframe high off the ground with it. When the mine is at its highest, Hold E and it releases a quick barrage of fire bombs in the area around you.

TL;DR

It's not that long, just read it you wimp :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Edited by DarkTails

Yes! Finally someone did this! Nice work, i like it, but...

1. Maybe it would be better if Heat dmg will replaced with Electric one? As a great CC and effective weapon against MOAs;

Like this one:

60d6b162da3323bcd3531e1aefbb7a46.gif

2. I don't think it's effective to use a cable/chain instead of Metallic or Wooden handle connected with a short cable or chain (like a Flail weapon) - it's hard to control and predict the trajectory.

Edited by Spectre-Agent

I don't see why Stealth kill is a problem: just have it share the strangulation animation with the rest of the current whips.

And I think you ought to put more of those... gonna call them 'armor spots" along the length of the cable to better show how it would be able to condense back into a mace-like shape so it could be used to block (because blocking HAS to be an option for weapons, and we've already seen how DE is interested in having whips handle that).

Edited by Morec0

no no you see, what you've created there is technically a flail. or a bit more accurately a ballonachainthatidontknowthepropernamefor. if you're going to make it a whip, you should include the scoliac/lecta design into the consideration (damaging head attached to a handle with some sort of internal cabling which releases the length to attack with the head) what youve made there is something of a monster. while such athing could work on the WF whip, it wouldn't look anything like that. more like a thinner+longer head attached to some thick cabling on a heavy handle. and sure, it could still explode and probably do the things your post mentions.

1. Maybe it would be better if Heat dmg will replaced with Electric one?

2. I don't think it's effective to use a cable/chain instead of Metallic or Wooden handle connected with a short cable or chain (like a Flail weapon) - it's hard to control and predict the trajectory.

1. We already have an electric whip, the Lecta.

2. ...it's a meteor hammer, I thought I mentioned that lol. It's supposed to be that way. I guess the 2 current grip sections can be made into one solid rod though, because the Grineer definitely aren't dexterous Monks rofl

I don't see why Stealth kill is a problem: just have it share the strangulation animation with the rest of the current whips.

And I think you ought to put more of those... gonna call them 'armor spots" along the length of the cable to better show how it would be able to condense back into a mace-like shape so it could be used to block (because blocking HAS to be an option for weapons, and we've already seen how DE is interested in having whips handle that).

1. I guess it can share the strangulation animation, wouldn't really affect anything for me since I rarely get to do a stealth kill.

2. I kinda like compacting idea, if only because then it would look like Hawkgirl's mace lol. It would also store easier on the warframe's body in a mace-like shape.

I don't know how you would go from fully extended to compacted to block in an instant though, seems like an awkward movement. Maybe the animation to block would have to be a little longer to allow the whip to compact, which is fine.

what you've created there is technically a flail. or a bit more accurately a ballonachainthatidontknowthepropernamefor.

Actually I made a single meteor hammer, as stated in the first post lol. But to be honest, I don't care about names, I just want another cool weapon in the game.

I don't know why the mine would have to be longer and thinner, Grineer weapons have lots of bulbous features.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Keep working on that model. :)

Considering how little interest there is, I think it'd be a waste of time, especially since DE would change the design anyway. I'd probably be the only one to use it lol

But thankssss for the interest!

Grineer aren't known for their graceful acrobatics (except when Heavy Gunners jump up 3 stories in Orokin Survival...), so this weapon isn't used like a quick 

yeah like every grineer isn't agile or don't have acrobatics, the only things that have a chance to be agile grineer are what you said Heavy gunners in orokin survival but that means the heavy gunner isn't grineer much but the orokin corrupted that enhances heavy gunners

Whips. They're awesome. What makes everything more awesome? Tying a mine to the end of it, so here you go, my version of what the Grineer might use as a "whip" lol. This is based on a type of whip called a Meteor Hammer, look it up if you want to see Shaolin Monks do all sorts of crazy stuff with it. (This is the single version, double meteor hammers have weights on both ends).

Anyway, Grineer aren't known for their graceful acrobatics (except when Heavy Gunners jump up 3 stories in Orokin Survival...), so this weapon isn't used like a quick snappy whip. It's a brute of a weapon used like a flail with a long chain, swung with both hands, causing lots and lots of property damage to everything and everyone around you.

How it looks

•The whip is made of cables

•The large segments at the end provide a 2-handed grip

•A mine is attached to the other end, I imagine it would look something like the Jat Kittag's face, with all the little things (triggers? detonators?) protruding

•To make it look even cooler when swung, fire can be spewing out of holes in the mine (so it looks like a meteor)

How it sounds

•Lotus compared it to the sound of a mountain exploding. This isn't a silent weapon lol

How it's carried

•When holstered: The whip contracts, the segments interlock making it look like a 1-handed mace carried on the Tenno's back

•When walking around: One hand on the grip, the chain drapes over the other hand, the mine drags/rolls along the ground, maybe sounding like a Roller. Yes, enemies will hear you coming... but that's the part I like. B)

343rrz6.png

Damage

•Tons of damage!

•Normal attacks deal Fire and Impact damage

•Blast damage added when channeling

Channeling

•While channeling, the weapon causes explosions on hit. They eat up a lot of energy to keep players from spamming explosions so they use them more tactically.

•Alternatively, channeling could make it attack faster and we simply give the weapon an innate high Blast proc chance.

Blocking

•This weapon can't actively block, but if bullets hit it while it's swinging, they will be blocked. I don't know if that's possible to code though.

•Alternatively, the whip can contract into a 1-handed mace shape to block. There is some delay before you can block though because the whip has to contract first.

Stealth Kill

•Are you Jat Kittag-ing me? This thing can't stealth kill lol. But fine, maybe you just throw the mine really hard at some dude's head and it pops like a grape.

•Alternatively, the standard strangulation animation could be used.

Jump Attack

•Pressing E in the air will throw the Mine wherever the cursor is pointing, yanking the Tenno with it.

How it handles

•Attacks start slow, the more it's swung the faster it gets (think of it like "wind-up").

•It's swung around the body with both hands, it never touches the ground. Animations should be more interesting than olympic Hammer Throw movements, those guys just spin like ice skaters.

•This weapon is obviously designed for mobs. It can hit all enemies in it's wide 360 arc, staggering or knocking them down.

•To give it a visual feeling of power, the arms are mostly used to swing it with the feet firmly planted. You can't walk very much while it's swinging. There can be a few body spins thrown in to the combos for variety.

Combos

•I imagine button presses would be more frequent the faster it's being swung. (tap...tap...tap..tap..tap taptaptap)

•The best way I can describe the swings is like a neutron revolving around an atom, this way it keeps swinging at different angles without touching the ground. "Neutron" would probably be a good name for this weapon. Maybe "Iron Sun".

•Mountain King Combo [Hold E, E, E, E, E]: Immobilizes the Warframe. Attacks build speed towards the final overhead swing which smashes into an opponent and causes an AOE shockwave.

•Cosmic Queen Combo [E, E, E, E, Pause, Hold E]: The first few attacks build momentum, the fourth E swings upward, pausing causes the momentum to pull your Warframe high off the ground with it. When the mine is at its highest, Hold E and it releases a quick barrage of fire bombs in the area around you.

TL;DR

It's not that long, just read it you wimp :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far

but I would love this Bommy knocker

+1 for you

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to +1 this. There's little love for whips right now, only 2 of them. A Grineer whip is definitely a must! And I like your idea :)

As posted above, I'd suggest adding more metal shielding around the cables (I imagine something like tube portions). About the head, rather than a sphere (I like it though) I'd suggest a cilinder like those of the Amphis. The reason is because I think it would look more like a whip instead of a flail, and the "mine" idea also works with cilinders. I also think it should be able to perform some stealthy action, I see no reason why it shouldn't be.

That said, I like it very much :)

Edited by Necroledo