Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Isn't It Time To Raise The Mod Slot Amount On Frames And Weapons?

Shehriazad

EDIT: People only seem to read the title and half of the replies are like "omg why would you want more mod slots to add even more OP mods.
Try to read this thick text here at least to actually understand what this is about. This is about inferior mods getting their own slots or a way of them being used without all the essentials being touched at all.  Examples - Resistance Mods, Movement Based mods (the silly ones' like the falling damage ones or maglev) and so many more(Indruder and Loot Radar being even more examples).

1. Too many "utility" and weak mods that no one bothers to use as they would be too much of a trade-off
- Making those into utility polarity and adding utility polarity modslots on frames and weapons would be a great way to finally make those shine.

2. With melee 2.0 almost all melee weapons share the same build...the exception being the few weapons that have a viable crit chance.

-There is probably a few oddball Tennos out there...but the general consensus would be to maximize the damage output and disregard everything else.
-Stances add up to 10 extra capacity...a potato melee weapon can get away without ever having to be polarized

-many weak-ish and oddball mods exist that could find a spot if there was utility slots

3. Across ALL weapon types AND on Warframes there is now a big selection of mods that could really help making frames a bit different from eachother...but are heavily underutilized because of aforementioned problems...the trade-off is too huge.

I know that DE had once talked about this...but it was MONTHS ago...and it does not seem like it would take long to figure out which mods to turn into utility type mods and then add 2 Utility slots on frames and at least 1 on weapons.

It's a shame that a big part of mods is just being shunned.

Edit:TL;DR Im not asking for free slots. I want that weak mods get their own polarity and slot to actually make some build variety happen...people claiming that limitations are good so we have to choose...please tell me how there are many builds for things...because there aren't...the entire weapon and frame pool all pretty much share 2 build choices.... that's not nearly enough...considering that there could be HUNDREDS of choices. (Not sure what sane player would currently pick Maglev over Vitality...just to name 1 example)

Edited by Shehriazad

No.

Limitations are a good thing and I see no reason for them to change as of yet.

So you think it's cool that 90% of the community will share the same build on everything and that half of the available mod pool is ignored because its sub par?

Its not like Im asking to just add free mod slots...What I want is a chance for those weak mods to actually get a chance.

As Icarus said, limitations are good, they make things fun, because u have to choose.

Then tell me how many different builds there are that are considered viable for higher level missions.

2 at best for everthing.

How is that even a choice?

Everyone is literally the same.

Were you around for the old mod system?

That was literally the same. And sooo OP.

With a mod pool that could offer hundreds of different build combinations...it's just sad.

Of course perfect balancing would be hard...but..seriously....point out a group of serious players being like "Today I want to use that Maglev mod because it's so great "

No.

I do think the mod system needs a bit of a rework (again) though. Have categories or something. I can't come up with a solid replacement or suggestion though but I have seen a few topics with such. There's just a few too many 'essential' mods which take up valued slots at the moment. 

Edited by Naith

I do think the mod system needs a bit of a rework (again) though. Have categories or something. I can't come up with a solid replacement or suggestion though but I have seen a few topics with such. There's just a few too many 'essential' mods which take up valued slots at the moment. 

Yeh...the essentials destroy any chance at build diversity.

I think DE said that essentials are being kept in for the sole reason of people having spend plat on them and it could anger them or something.

Which kind of is a big roadblock... and takes away a lot of options.

No.

Limitatiosn are good, unless it the glaive.

Seriously, half its slots are filled with it's utility mods to make it viable.

As Icarus said, limitations are good, they make things fun, because u have to choose.

In fact it's the opposite. You don't choose S#&$, because if you don't use the best mods you will do nothing, so 90% of the mod pool is never used by no one.

Seriously, where would you use those mods that make your sheald stronger against the ice that reduces it to half? where would you use the toxi/flame/electric resistance mods for frames? yes, they are not bad, but you're wasting a slot where you could put way more useful things, so in the end, they are useless lol

Edited by residente

In all honesty, id have to agree with this. I don't actually see the current builds changing, and to say less slots make choices more difficult, they really don't. I run the same builds day in day out and I know for a fact that a large portion of people using the same frame use the same setup, although our mod levels will differ slightly. Those cookie cutter builds will never change unless the mods do as players have proven that those are best at what they are expected to do. 

However, additional mod slots for "utility" (and only utility mind you) would add a bit more different, albeit a small difference, to our builds. 2 slots that could involve things like undying will, shock absorbers, damage resistances, warm coat. The mods that are hardly ever used and seem completely useless in comparison to other mods. Those 2 additional slots would allow us as players to go "Oh, I'm fighting corpus, better change up my utility" or "I'll be fighting a lot of knockdowns, better put on my shock absorb". As of right now, I will NEVER use those mods I specifically mentioned, and many more, because I don't have the slots to spare and their bonuses seem somewhat weak in comparison to a flow, rush, streamline, narrow minded, etc...

YES.  THE TIME IS NOW.  DE.

make-it-so-captain.jpg

Thank you.  d(^-^)b

I agree. The mod diversity is kinda not good. There are only a handful of mods most people actually use and leave the rest out. If there were Utility slots and Handspring was a Utility I would certainly use it. But mods like that one are outclassed by the mods that increases dmg or duration and even shield capacity. I agree with OP and Make at least 1 or 2 Utility Slots!

Add more diversity to those frame and weapon builds!!

A utility slot or two would be very nice indeed. But it wouldn't add anything to the warframe, no "bonus" mod points or anything of the sort, keep the players who forma'd their gear still a step ahead that way.

In my honest opinion a way to add variation to warframe without ruining the system would be to develop a way to "fuse" mods together and make them have attributes of both of the fused, albeit at a lesser rate. Exceptions being fusing damage/damage mods, because that would be ridiculously OP. Think Icestorm and the like. "Dual Stats" but user created and the power of the fused mod would be maybe like... 50%-66% of what was put into it.

A maxed Rush and a maxed Quick Rest fused together for "Fleetfoot", a mod that requires 10 points and increases sprint by 20%, stamina recharge by 100%. 

Maxed Maglev and Rush produces "Featherweight", a mod requiring 11 points that increases acceleration from wall launching and sliding by 30%, increases sprint speed by 15%.

There is so much more that DE could do with these systems that they have yet to realize, and melee 2.0 was a wash. Cool you can equip your weapon... too bad it needs to be equipped if you even want to use those cool combos you've been grinding for... And btw, it's single button smashing still, so gl hf. 

tl;dr- If you want me to be a free consultant as to how and what you can do to make the game better with regards to the actual "lore", let me know. I'll gladly help out. 

P.S. - still waiting for Founder Test Server :P

This is a very good thread, just hope it gets moved to proper section though (feedback). Feels like its addressing an important issue. I feel if DE isnt going to go ahead with your idea they might as well delete those mods, all they are currently doing is diluting the mod pool. For example, no one in their right mind will ever use the resistance mods unless they forma the ability slots and even then I doubt they would see any use. One thing I am scared of though is that if they assign specific slots for these then you cant have more mods than the assigned amount of utility slots.