Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Second Stance For Nikana

ROSING

So I dig the first stance's iaido technique, but I think it'd be cool if there was a fighting stance with the blade drawn at all times. Specifically, I think this stance should make attacks faster, as the slow animations of the Nikana can leave you open to knockdown attacks.

But yeah, have a stance with an unsheathed blade specializing in faster attacks.

Edited by ROSING

Kendo?

No, Kenjutsu.  anything endin in -do is a sport,

but the first stance already has 3 combos. tranquil cleave got greedy

All that says is that every other stance needs more combos, not that TC needs less, as you're likely implying.

They can't put in another Katana stance yet. They don't have a mob that's rare enough for them to have drop it.

Please don't joke about that, RNG 2.0 has been the worst thing for this game by far.

New stance aside, the current Nikana stance is lacking effectiveness. Sure, you get 3 combos over the usual 1 or 2, but none of them are even worth mentioning. Bleeding Willow, with its only combo, outshines every other stance and combo in both effectiveness and, well, animations. Of course, looking pretty is not everything, but there's an appeal to it. Regardless, Bleeding Willow with an Orthos Prime is as good as melee 2.0 gets. It's extremely powerful, fast, has a hude range and covers impressive distances, it just feels good.

Tranquil Cleave feels clunky, limitted, awkward to look at, and generally boring to use. Sure, it's got insane attack power, but with its effective range and horrible maneuverability, you'll likely only ever spam E without even considerring a combo.

Off-topic, but longswords also suffer from poor stances. Crimson Dervish is way too slow to ever be useful, and the combos are unnecessary. Iron Pheonix, though it is quite fast, is lacking in the eye-candy department. Don't act like animations aren't a big thing, they are. It's a huge factor in gameplay.

What if they put out a stance that was just all the moves from the Jetstream Sam DLC in Metal Gear Rising

That's the basic stance that they gave to the Nikana.  You almost immediately sheath the weapon at the final swing.  And most of the swings are one handed.  So yeah, you want Jetstream Sam of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, you already got it.

I want a real Katana/Kenjutsu stance, one with two hands on the hit.

Off-topic, but longswords also suffer from poor stances. Crimson Dervish is way too slow to ever be useful, and the combos are unnecessary. Iron Pheonix, though it is quite fast, is lacking in the eye-candy department. Don't act like animations aren't a big thing, they are. It's a huge factor in gameplay.

Yes.  Agreed.  And I believe that ALL swords, should two hand the hilt.  But that's just me...

Yes.  Agreed.  And I believe that ALL swords, should two hand the hilt.  But that's just me...

No way all swords should be two hands on the hilt.  For starters, proper 2H-sword style often has one hand above the hilt or on the pommel.  But beyond that, thrusting-type swords (short swords, foils, rapiers, etc) are definitely 1h.  So are sabres and cutlasses, swords used in situations where you want a smaller sword and/or to keep your other hand free.

But there definitely should be some proper 2H sword styles, ideally ones that shift where the hands are for certain types of moves.

I always thought the Nikana should handle more like Mitsurugi's katana from Soul Calibur or Bayonetta's Shuraba.

Wide slashes with fewer thrusts. And at least one move where you strike as part of the draw motion, since that was a pretty major feature of the katana as a weapon.

Edited by LordMelvin

No way all swords should be two hands on the hilt.  For starters, proper 2H-sword style often has one hand above the hilt or on the pommel.  But beyond that, thrusting-type swords (short swords, foils, rapiers, etc) are definitely 1h.  So are sabres and cutlasses, swords used in situations where you want a smaller sword and/or to keep your other hand free.

But there definitely should be some proper 2H sword styles, ideally ones that shift where the hands are for certain types of moves.

The issue I have is that single weapon, one hand (as in off hand is free) is that it's Sports Fencing.  Not a combat skill.  It's silly, it's stopping me from taking the Tenno seriously.  There are only two actual weapon styles for melee that were used in combat, two weapon (whether it's one hand and shield or shield like weapons, or two actual weapons) or both hands on the weapon, the free hand flopping around just gets you killed.  Like using most Long Swords in Warframe does.

The issue I have is that single weapon, one hand (as in off hand is free) is that it's Sports Fencing. Not a combat skill. It's silly, it's stopping me from taking the Tenno seriously. There are only two actual weapon styles for melee that were used in combat, two weapon (whether it's one hand and shield or shield like weapons, or two actual weapons) or both hands on the weapon, the free hand flopping around just gets you killed. Like using most Long Swords in Warframe does.

Except they were combat skills. With the age of gunpowder, armor lost its value and formation melee fighting was similarly a thing of the past. So with that, the heavy 2h weapons are goners, other than turning a rifle into one. Too much encumbrance to bother with.

We're supposedly space ninjas, so in that regard, a single, lighter weapon to cut encumbrance makes sense. It would allow us to be more mobile. Beyond that, we're gun-toting space ninjas. It actually makes a lot of sense that, like officers in the Napoleonic era, we carry a single one-handed melee weapon as a back up, just in case we do wind up in melee combat. It gives us something useful, but keeps the encumbrance cost down. So if you want to argue realism, a single 1-h weapon is the more realistic option. There were indeed only two melee weapon styles used: a single, smaller 1h weapon (typically a sword or dagger) or something carried primarily for another purpose that could be used in melee (rifle with bayonet, trenching tool).

But it is a game, so screw realism.  Let's have fencing styles, dual wielding, and proper 2h styles.

Edited by Axterix13