Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To: Melee Combo's With 100% Success Rate.

Dalu__Ka

Question

This is by no means an in depth guide, but a few basics on how to successfully do combo's without having to memorize each and every combo.
These methods are pretty much fool proof, and anyone can get the hang of this in no time at all.

Executing combo's with a Pause element
Instead of timing and counting your attacks, you can just repeatedly press your melee key at  a constant and slower rate. "Tap----Tap----Tap----Tap" instead of "Tap--Tap--Pause--Tap"

Or:

Turns out there's a shortcut for combos that require Pauses: just hold back (S) then mash your attack button, i.e. S+--Tap--Tap--Tap.

Executing combo's with a Movement element
Instead of timing and counting your attacks, you can keep the direction key pressed and do your melee attacks. "W+---Tap----Tap----Tap" instead of "Tap----W----Tap----Tap"

Executing combo's with a Hold element
Instead of timing and counting your attacks, you can keep slow down your attacks a bit like we did with the Pause attacks, but now we keep the melee key pressed a bit longer on every attack. "Tappp--Tappp--Tappp--Tappp" instead of "Tap----Tappp--Tap----Tap"

Executing combo's with a Parry/Block element

it's the same way you do the Combos with movement elements: Instead of  "Tap----Block----Tap----Tap", you go "Block+---Tap----Tap----Tap".

What also can be helpful, is not using speed boost mods until you feel comfortable with the combos. There are some weapons out there that are really really fast, which in turn makes doing combos more of a challenge.

These tips are also on Steam Guides.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=251308537

A thank you to Tenno SlyBoots and Tenno LGear for their added contributions.

Edited by Tenn00b

How to do combos that have a "Press RMB" as part of the combo: Hold down RMB the entire time.

I'm helping.

D'oh, forgot about that one. But to be honest, I haven't found an easy way to do those yet. I need to do some further testing :)

Wait... you're telling me there are people that don't have 100% success with their combos?

There are always players struggling with one aspect or the other of any game mechanic. If you have no trouble with combo's, then clearly this thread has no relevance to you.

Edited by Tenn00b

D'oh, forgot about that one. But to be honest, I haven't found an easy way to do those yet. I need to do some further testing :)

Doesn't matter where the RMB is in the combo. Just hold it down and it'll trigger every time.

Wait... you're telling me there are people that don't have 100% success with their combos?

I have extreme difficulty with some combos, especially on very fast weapons (Amphis + max Fury).

New players, new gamers, lazy players, etc, etc.

And if I'm none of the above?

I just find it difficult no longer having the reflexes of an 18 year old when trying to time combos that require pauses with melee weapons that need less than 650ms to make an attack.

Edited by Saenol

it's the same way you do the Combos with movement elements: Instead of  "Tap----Block----Tap----Tap", you go "Block+---Tap----Tap----Tap".

hold the alternative key from the start, the combo seem to only check if the input is pressed in the right time, and bind your secondary melee shortcut on mouse wheel, you will avoid all unnecessary pauses

in fire mode mouse scroll+ : fire (useless to say, acrid and co will harm your hands a lot less)  mouse scroll- : melee

in melee mode : mouse scroll- : melee this way, you can hold block and scroll melee without any problem

the tapping is still useful on peculiar combo, on weak enemies when you dont need to chain it perfectly ... etc etc

edit : i forgot. try to understand on what par of the move you need to chain it, in order to really master your combo, sometimes, it s not intuitive at all

ie : brutal tide, the chaining is not made right after the reversed kick + spin, but after the punch that follows :)

Edited by kimahn

I have extreme difficulty with some combos, especially on very fast weapons (Amphis + max Fury).

And if I'm none of the above?

I just find it difficult no longer having the reflexes of an 18 year old when trying to time combos that require pauses with melee weapons that need less than 650ms to make an attack.

I edited my post, to be more accurate with less assumptions. Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by Tenn00b

Am I the only one having issues reliably executing the second combo on the uncommon Polearm and Staff stances with Fury equipped Orthos/Orthos Prime and Amphis?

I've got most of the other weapons down pretty well, but these combos that have a pause/hold on very fast weapons without distinct animation transitions are proving difficult for me to execute reliably enough to make them useful.

This is pretty helpful because when I'm invisible as Loki (or Ash :P) I can sometimes have trouble with the pause and hold combos. Thanks for the tip.

One thing, though. With Tranquil Cleave, the hold combo is EEE (hold) EE, but the pause is EE (pause) EEEE. Therefore, when doing the thing where you hold on every hit, it activates the pause combo because the delay of holding from the last strike is enough to activate it. This means that the tip doesn't really work for that combo, but it isn't a very good combo anyway :P

Edited by Jordio99

This is pretty helpful because when I'm invisible as Loki (or Ash :P) I can sometimes have trouble with the pause and hold combos. Thanks for the tip.

One thing, though. With Tranquil Cleave, the hold combo is EEE (hold) EE, but the pause is EE (pause) EEEE. Therefore, when doing the thing where you hold on every hit, it activates the pause combo because the delay of holding from the last strike is enough to activate it. This means that the tip doesn't really work for that combo, but it isn't a very good combo anyway :P

Hm, yeah. I guess that specific stance requires more effort to control. I suppose counting would be the way to go for that one.

You could always try counting.

1-----2------3---------4

tap--tap--hold tap--tap

count in your head every time you tap. 1, 2, hold, 4, 1, 2, hold, 4.

I've tried such things, to little avail. There is almost no margin for error at 1.6+ attacks/second, and even if I could get the timing down, having to focus on timing it would completely defeat the purpose, because I'd be doing more damage just mashing the button as fast as I can.

Turns out there's a shortcut for combos that require Pauses: just hold back (S) then mash your attack button, i.e. S+--Tap--Tap--Tap. I've tested it with Sundering Weave, Sinking Talon, Iron Phoenix and Gnashing Payara. I'll try it out on other stances with pause combos later, but so far I've been incredibly successful at pulling them off 100% using the above method.

Edited by LGear

Turns out there's a shortcut for combos that require Pauses: just hold back (S) then mash your attack button, i.e. S+--Tap--Tap--Tap. I've tested it with Sundering Weave, Sinking Talon, Iron Phoenix and Gnashing Payara. I'll try it out on other stances with pause combos later, but so far I've been incredibly successful at pulling them off 100% using the above method.

So is it fair to assume that holding down S lowers your overall swing speed?

Because you said that holding down S and mashing melee also works for doing pause combos.

Edit:

Tested it for myself, and it does lower overall attack speed because after each thrust your frame will start walking backwards, even if only for 1/10th of a second. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term "swing speed", what I meant was attack speed.

Non the less, it is a good way for pulling of pause combos.

Edited by Tenn00b

Another hint:

If you use Crossing Snakes, there is one combo which requires a Hold, another which requires a Forward.

If you keep moving forward and you attack, you'll also keep doing the Forward combo.

To mitigate this, hold block, and you'll be able to perform other non-Forward combos. Even while pressing the forward button, you can initiate the standard combo, or the Hold combo.

How do i use a charge attack for the melee on PC?

I c people doin it, i thought u hold down "e" but it does not work

Please answer!

Thx

There are no more charge attacks.

Some combos have an attack that looks like a charge attack, but they are just part of the combo.