Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide]Loki (Masterrace) Guide To Defense Missions!

Triburos

Question

Grrrreetings!

So I play Loki. Do you play Loki? I like Loki.

Loki is a pretty cool guy. His helmet is incredibly silly though. But Loki don't care what you think of his silly looking helmet. Loki just continues posing for the camera, even when surrounded by a cloud of soft giggles about his handlebar / hammerhead / whateverthefuck helmet.

SO, Loki is a pretty versatile frame. While the whole 'master race' meme is mostly a silly term amongst players, Loki is capable of pretty much anything. From solo play, to team play.

Unfortunately, most people - especially newcomers - look at Loki with this mindset:

"Oh, Loki is a starter stealth frame! I'll just use him with Invisibility to be all ninja until I can unlock Ash and be even MOORREE NinjaAAAA!"

And then they chuck out tools like Radial Disarm, Switch Teleport, and yadda yadda. This results in quite a handful of useless Lokis. Even though Ash is quite poor in team play, he atleast hurts S#&$ with Blade Storm. A Loki without his other abilities is a poorman's Ash when it comes to defense.

And one of the most important fields in Warframe is how well you can do in Defense. Defense is quite an important mission type, especially late game. Having a good frame for these missions is quite important. The more you can help your team, the better.

Whilst some other frames in your group might downplay your usefulness - such as a Nova nuking an entire map, which can make you feel useless - it's always best to try your best to defend your objective anyways. I personally don't see any kind of defense frame as 'redundant' just because another joins the fray. I like to see my team's defenses as 'layers'. A Nova might be nuking the map, but a Loki Disarming everything is a second line of defense. A frost's snowglobe is another line of defense, and so on. You simply want to be trying your best to benefit the team, even if it feels redundant.

So, this is just going to be a quick little guide on how to be an effective Loki in these missions. So without further adeu, let's start off with my own Defense oriented build:

===Build Setup===

06b213d0150bb9794bd3f437b00a4ab6.png

The above image is what I like to call the "Oh-God-Can-I-Possibly-Stretch-Radial-Disarm-Further-Out" build.

Focusing on Radial Disarm, equipping Overextended and Stretch is more than enough range to cover an entire map in Disarm goodness. It also retains all his other abilities, whilst adding duration to his Decoy and Invisibility. There really isn't much else to say here. It nukes the entire map with Disarm.

Short section. LET'S MOVE ONTO ABILITIES.

===Abilities===

DecoyMod.png

Loki's second most important ability in Defense is Decoy.

Soooo, Decoy has the unfortunate disadvantage in that it's health and shields do not scale upward with enemy levels and damage outputs, resulting in Decoy having armor made of graham crackers wrapped in tinfoil when it comes to any mission above level 10.

Luckly however, Decoy is blessed with the 'F***-You-Model-Collision' ability, that allows it to be placed in... Practically any nook and cranny in the map. I mean, look at this.

The good news is that Decoy's aggro generation works even when ranged enemies do not have line of sight. Infact, ranged enemies like standard Grineer and Corpus units kind of... Get confused when Decoy is out on the field and in a tight position like this.

For some reason, ranged unit A.I opt to find cover and run to it rather than attempt to shoot where the Decoy is located. This happens whenever they don't have line of sight. Occasionally some rogue units will find a tiinnnyy crack in your Decoy's hiding spot and start shooting, but this only happens with a few units.

This results in most of a wave being completely brain #*($%%@ for some reason and opting not to shoot you, the objective, or the Decoy. Unless they get too close of course. If a Corpus waddles too close to the cyropod it'll be like "OH S#&$" and aimbot to it and start shooting at it. So be careful about that.

If this is confusing to understand, here's a Try It Yourself experiment. Go to Xini, and put your Decoy here.

Then, run back to the cyropod and just sit back for awhile. Make sure to pick off any enemies that happen to get too close to the cyropod or find a gap in the Decoy's hiding place.

You'll start to notice some things. Moas might start jumping on top of the crates then just stand there, some corpus units might start aiming at the crates until they can get line of sight (they refuse to shoot until they can get line of sight, remember), and other than the occasional mob wandering to the objective, most mobs will just kinda... Stay in hiding or just remain passive in general.

And then once Decoy wears off they will immediately snap their aim to you and start blasting your A****** full of plasma. So be careful.

But this ability makes Decoy incredibly useful for when you're waiting for an entire wave to spawn before popping Radial Disarm. It keeps your Cyropod safe from enemy fire until juussttt the right moment to pop Radial Disarm. It also works very nicely with Radial Disarm when you put the Decoy out in the open too. Herds the sheep to the slaughter. Of your blade. Or possibly your hammer.

InvisibilityMod.png

Loki's third most important skill in Defense is Invisibility.

"Whaaa?! It's less important than Decoy?!"

Well, yes. When you get right down to it, Invisibility isn't a skill that benefits defense missions. It simply improves your own survivability and damage output. Now, this is great for when you pull of a Decoy + Radial Disarm combo, since you can just sit back and slice the hell outta mobs stupid enough to attack your decoy with their prods, but when it comes to actual defense... It's not that good.

Invisibility is better off in other missions types. HOWEVER, you do want to keep it on your person for the melee damage buff obviously, when you need to save your own &#!, and when you need to res a team mate.

SwitchTeleportMod.png

Loki's least important skill is Switch Teleport.

Switch Teleport is an ability I adore. Not only is it the perfect ability for dealing with annoying team mates, but it's also a great mobile tool when combined with Decoy. There's alot this thing can do from saving team mates, killing team mates, trapping team mates, moving yourself to places no other frame can reach, ect ect.

However, I do have to tell the truth here; Switch Teleport is near useless in Defense.

You're not going to be moving around alot, there's not much use in switching an enemy around, yadda yadda. I do however still bring it to deal with rude door heroes. Because like I said before; you can trap them in certain locations. Troll the trolls, amirite?

But in terms of benefitting the actual mission, if you feel like you could use Switch Teleport's slot for something better, by all means do so. I simply use it for the occasions when we have an annoying team mate that we want to get rid of.

RadialDisarmMod.png

Radial Disarm is Loki's most important ability in Defense.

Radial Disarm is very simple. Press 4, turn all enemies on the map into Infested.

That's about it. Incredibly under rated - possibly because most Lokis never use the S#&$ting thing - Radial Disarm is an incredibly useful Crowd Debuff AoE.

Removing their guns might not seem like a huge thing at first, but consider these points:

*Corpus and Grineer now have very predictable paths that they'll take to get to your Cyropod to start doing damage. This means your team mates dont have to go running around trying to shoot enemies hiding up on the rafters or something.

*An AI has higher DPS with their guns than they do their melee weapon, as well as higher damage per shot by default. Melee units have long swing time on the other hand. This effectively also makes Radial Disarm a damage nerf to mobs.

*Loki benefits from this the most in combination with Decoy, as he becomes a better A.I manipulator than even NYX. He was already capable of causing mobs to go passive with Decoy in a hiding place, but now he can not only turn on their melee A.I script, but he can also alter their pathing with Decoy?!

*Unlike damaging abilities like Blade Storm, Radial Disarm is guarenteed to be useful, no matter the difficulty or level of the mission. Damagin abilities by nature will start becoming less effective as enemies get tougher and tougher.

But Radial Disarm doesn't do any damage... Unless you use it on Infested which is a bad move anyways. This means that Radial Disarm is useful at any stage in the game, so it scales very well into Endgame.

The best part is that Loki with his Essence Helmet along with Streamline makes this quite a spammable skill. Now, you do need to choose the best times to use it still, since it is still very possible to run out of energy. But compared to most other frames, he can activate this quite often.

===Closing Tips and Tricks===

0. Hide your Decoy.

I'll admit. This is 0 because I felt it was best at the top of the list and I don't wanna renumber everything.

Decoy is in a similar boat to Radial Disarm; underused and under appreciated. Decoy is incredibly useful as a 'staller' skill for when you need to just distract most of the wave of enemies. But, it's best used when it has a hiding spot like the two places I showed you before.

Sticking it out in the open will have it killed in no time. Only time you shouild do this is when you need to res someone, and even then you should use Invisibility for that if you can afford it. Decoy is best used for tip number 1 in my opinion.

1. Use Decoy to buy time for Radial Disarm.

If for whatever reason you want to challenge yourself to solo a defense mission, the best strategy is to find a good hiding place for Decoy. I showed you two for Xini's map.

Place the Decoy then wait for mobs to show up. Once you see a good group, unleash Radial Disarm if needed and go to town. Just remember to shoot any mobs that do happen to find a crack in your Decoy's hiding spot. Which leads to tip number two:

2. Use your freakin' gun / kill whilst waiting for Radial Disarm!

Loki might get damage bonuses with melee in combination with Invisibility, but when you get right down to it, guns are more effective and faster beasts.

When you have a Decoy set up and you're waiting for the majority of mobs to spawn; SHOOT THEM. There's little point in just waiting for the first round of enemies to spawn in a wave, Radial Disarming then killing them, only to have the next round in a wave spawn.

An entire wave does not spawn all at once. It spawns mobs in rounds. The next 'round' slowly trickles out as your kill mobs, meaning that if you wait for one round to appear, then use Radial Disarm, by the time you kill them the next round of the wave will be flowing out.

You should be shooting mobs whilst Decoy is out and only using Radial Disarm when the time seems right. With that said...

3. Don't spam Radial Disarm / Wait for the right time.

Whilst Loki may have access to a large energy pool and higher energy efficency than normal with Essence Helmet, please avoid spamming Radial Disarm. As I said before, you want to pop RD when the time seems right. When alot of enemies are around. When Decoy just wore off and the majority of a round in a wave has been spawned. When you have max energy and energy orbs on the ground are going to waste.

Things like that. Don't throw out your Radial Disarm just as mobs start to appear. The only time you should do this is if you want to make a Nukeframe like Nova's job slightly easier, since she's going to be killing stuff as soon as it spawns anyways. Or, wait until the next round spawns to pop Radial Disarm.

4. Essence Helmet, or Swindle Helmet?

Loki was blessed with two useful helmets; Essence to provide better skill spam, and Swindle to provide larger Radial Disarm range.

I'm personally a bigger fan of Essence. I feel that Radial Disarm's range is far enough with Overextended and Stretch, so I don't use it. But both are very useful, and this is purely up to you. I personally like having Essence for when I need to re-apply Radial Disarm.

5. Decoy and Radial Disarm synergize very nicely. Pair them like a fangirl pairs males in their fanfics.

If you couldn't tell by now, these two abilities work as well together as peanut butter and jelly. Learning to use Decoy is just as effective as learning to use Radial Disarm.

I've already mentioned how Decoy can be used to stall for more mob spawns, but Decoy can also cover for any mobs that happen to start spawning as you start killing off those affected by Radial Disarm.

After casting Radial Disarm, put your Decoy back into it's hiding place. Then slaughter the melee mobs. The decoy will do an excellent job distracting and stalling the newly spawned, ranged mobs until you can find time to Radial Disarm again. This combination is what helps me solo defense missions. Yes; even Tier III Void missions.

===Ending===

And that's me guide. I'm really hoping this helps some Loki looking to learn a bit more about his defensive abilities rather than his Invisibility uses. I spent a few hours writing this and re-examining my knowledge to best provide for all members of the 'master race'.

Now let's just hope that the majority of Loki can start doing things other than Invisibility + melee, eh?

Edited by Triburos

21 answers to this question

Well written, engaging, informative and correct. Well done.

I would suggest Fleeting Expertise instead of Flow or Streamline, but that's just a personal preference.

Indeed.

The reason I don't use Fleeting is because I do value the duration time of my Decoy, and somewhat the duration of my Invisibility. But it's really just down to how much you actually use Decoy or Invisibility.

I could sacrifice Flow, but I also like me energy capacity at 400.

Cheers for the kindness though, glad to see it's informative.

Edited by Triburos

===Build Setup===

06b213d0150bb9794bd3f437b00a4ab6.png

The above image is what I like to call the "Oh-God-Can-I-Possibly-Stretch-Radial-Disarm-Further-Out" build.

I was just thinking of picking up Loki. This guide is pretty fabulous, thanks for the great guide!

One question: Why the two forma? You've got 14 extra mod points there. With zero forma, you'll still have 6 mod points left over (which can come in handy if/when you want to swap out Switch Teleport for something else).

I was just thinking of picking up Loki. This guide is pretty fabulous, thanks for the great guide!

One question: Why the two forma? You've got 14 extra mod points there. With zero forma, you'll still have 6 mod points left over (which can come in handy if/when you want to swap out Switch Teleport for something else).

Oh- my Formas are eeeooonnnss old. Loki was also my starting frame, and I started Warframe jjuusstt before it was set to release on Steam. So I was around before Formas showed up. When they rolled around, at the time I was like "more formas is always a good thing!"

It never really occured to me I didn't need them to build my frame the way I wanted though. Whoops.

You're right though, tis totally possible to make the build with no forma. Thanks for the kind words.

Edited by Triburos

People that use decoy effectively, I have found my home.

I have actually never paid attention to radial disarm with the grouping method you advised, I used it like a Molecular Prime mid wave. so I appreciate for that tip

Good guide for those who doubt/misunderstand the deceiver. 

I actually love Loki's helms, especially the default which reminds me both of his Norse heritage and an awesome Hammerhead shark mashed together. I mean, really, what could be cooler than that. Its actually what drew me to Warframe in the first place lol.

While I appreciate your well written and thoroughly explained guide, I would add one amendment; swap Switch Teleport with another utility mod, like Enemy Sense. A forma'ed dash polarity in the spot for switch teleport takes some of the situational utility of this skill and replaces it with something that players can immediately find useful. The reason for this is because it gives Loki a supreme advantage to know where the clusters are coming from and can help players plan accordingly. I cannot tell you how amazing it is to have a whole wave disarmed before they ever even make it near the objective, and then once Decoy is deployed the fun really begins because a melee unit will seek out the Decoy but be unable to harm it with the proper placement as you've described. I've literally kept whole waves searching for the decoy for the full duration just by knowing where the largest cluster would be coming from, disarming, and setting decoy out of melee range. It will even render those pesky corpus MOA's braindead because they will try to kick at the decoy but will not be able to reach it. Enemy Sense also gives Loki the advantage of being able to plan ahead rather than reacting in other mission types. In Survival this skill is perfect for being able to find those larger pockets of enemies and dealing with them before they can gang up on the group. Other missions it allows Loki to pick his targets more selectively because he will know what is waiting around each corner.

In all, amazing guide! Like you Loki was my starter frame and he has often proven my most useful frame. In the hands of a skilled, creative player he is the true master manipulator. I hope all those that are considering Loki have a look at this guide

People that use decoy effectively, I have found my home.

I have actually never paid attention to radial disarm with the grouping method you advised, I used it like a Molecular Prime mid wave. so I appreciate for that tip

No worries. And really, if how you use Radial Disarm is working, keep on doing it. My strategy of... I guess 'bait and wait' with Decoy shines the most when you - for whatever reason - have to be the backbone of a team's defense. It's nice for making the most out of each use of Radial Disarm.

Good guide for those who doubt/misunderstand the deceiver. 

I actually love Loki's helms, especially the default which reminds me both of his Norse heritage and an awesome Hammerhead shark mashed together. I mean, really, what could be cooler than that. Its actually what drew me to Warframe in the first place lol.

I actually wasn't aware that it paid homage to his Norse lore line. I did some Googling after reading your post and it does turn out that alot of fantasy versions of Loki have him designed with horns. I guess for Warframe's, DE wanted something that could fit with their sci-fi designs, but still resymble horns.

I dunno, I'll always look at Essence and Default as bicycle handlebars. Tis just me though.

While I appreciate your well written and thoroughly explained guide, I would add one amendment; swap Switch Teleport with another utility mod, like Enemy Sense. A forma'ed dash polarity in the spot for switch teleport takes some of the situational utility of this skill and replaces it with something that players can immediately find useful. The reason for this is because it gives Loki a supreme advantage to know where the clusters are coming from and can help players plan accordingly. I cannot tell you how amazing it is to have a whole wave disarmed before they ever even make it near the objective, and then once Decoy is deployed the fun really begins because a melee unit will seek out the Decoy but be unable to harm it with the proper placement as you've described. I've literally kept whole waves searching for the decoy for the full duration just by knowing where the largest cluster would be coming from, disarming, and setting decoy out of melee range. It will even render those pesky corpus MOA's braindead because they will try to kick at the decoy but will not be able to reach it. Enemy Sense also gives Loki the advantage of being able to plan ahead rather than reacting in other mission types. In Survival this skill is perfect for being able to find those larger pockets of enemies and dealing with them before they can gang up on the group. Other missions it allows Loki to pick his targets more selectively because he will know what is waiting around each corner.

In all, amazing guide! Like you Loki was my starter frame and he has often proven my most useful frame. In the hands of a skilled, creative player he is the true master manipulator. I hope all those that are considering Loki have a look at this guide

Many thanks for the kind words. I do see where you're coming from; I even mentioned that if you felt like Switch Teleport's slot could go to something more useful, do take out Switch Teleport.

The only reason I keep it on is to karma troll. But it has almost no use to me in my actual playstyle in defense. Enemy Sense is a very nice alternative. Hell, maybe even Narrow Minded.

Listen to this man. He understands.

Many thanks. Unless you were referring to Hard_Core, which in that case is also true as well.

I as a Rhino Prime player, and I have to stand and give you applause for such a well written and informative guide. In fact I am going to take another look at my Loki and try out the things you've said. I have to admit to only feeling like others that Loki's only use was his invisibility, now because of your guide I've seen a whole new side of Loki, thank you:) 

Nice that someone decided to make "A Guide" of some kind for this game.  That is one thing I notice just didn't exist in this game's forums compared to every other game I play.   I considered doing a few different guides, especially one on how to play survival since that is my favorite mission type...but between work, playing the game, family and such, I just never got the time I needed to make a good enough guide.

But thx for sharing your experiences with everyone.   This game needs more guides like this instead of all the complaining about RNG, Void rewards and such.

I as a Rhino Prime player, and I have to stand and give you applause for such a well written and informative guide. In fact I am going to take another look at my Loki and try out the things you've said. I have to admit to only feeling like others that Loki's only use was his invisibility, now because of your guide I've seen a whole new side of Loki, thank you:) 

Many thanks. And I'm pretty sure every freakin' Loki, ever gets Loki for his invisibility. I know I did. Wasn't until later I decided to mess around with his other skills.

Nice that someone decided to make "A Guide" of some kind for this game.  That is one thing I notice just didn't exist in this game's forums compared to every other game I play.   I considered doing a few different guides, especially one on how to play survival since that is my favorite mission type...but between work, playing the game, family and such, I just never got the time I needed to make a good enough guide.

But thx for sharing your experiences with everyone.   This game needs more guides like this instead of all the complaining about RNG, Void rewards and such.

Cheers! And yeah, I noticed the lack of guides on the forums as well. Though there are some on the wiki.

While I don't use your build, you are right, Loki is great. I do not even own another Warframe (though I may go for Ash).

Radial Disarm can make a secure defeat into an easy victory. Don't understand why anyone would NOT equip and use it.

Would you believe I only started using Radial Disarm again a few months ago? Sad I know.

Anyhow, if I could offer advice; do know that Ash is an offensive class, but is quite poor in defense missions. But he's useful for pretty much everything else. Loki is defense support / utility and feels the best in defense missions. Though like I said, he can do a little bit of everything.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't pay attention. You weren't deciding between the two. You already have Loki, whoops. Lmao.

Edited by Triburos

Great guide!

Loki was my starter frame as well, now at mr15 he's still my preferred frame, followed by #zephyrmasterrace.

I came up with a fairly original build which may help better equipped players to play both offensive and self defense roles not necessarily better but differently than yours, here's how my build goes:

Swidle helmet

Energy siphon

Invisibility

Radial Disarm

Decoy

Narrow Minded max

Continuity max

Constitution max

Stretch max

Streamline max

Fleeting expertise R4

Overextended max

At the end of the day, compared to yours, my build goes like this:

Radial disarm: Yours has 47m range and costs you 55 energy / Mine has 37m range and costs me 30 energy.

Invisibility: Yours lasts about 16s and costs you 27.5 energy / Mine lasts 26s and costs me 15 energy (basically perma invis)

Last and actually least lol, decoy in my build lasts longer and costs leess but that's negligible due to its already low cost.

Comparing our energy pools, loki already features a large one but yours is bigger which should make up for the more expensive cost of your skills, reasons why i feel comfortable not using flow.

I also sacrifice a little bit of my shields (200ish) for not equipping redirection, but i make up for it with perma invis, since 250 or 550 shields can only mean one thing in high lv play : ohk.

Not saying which one is better, comes down to personal preference as both are obviously viable for end game

Just throwing options here should anyone be wondering...

Edited by (PS4)DanteVincent

Not gonna lie, i was one of the loki's that just put duration mods on him and spammed invisibility all day. Nice build btw i pretty much run what you run but instead of flow i run constitution cause i'm a shockwave moa magnet and for teammates that get me knocked down by heavys while trying to get into position to disarm them. The cool thing is i started to value his ult by getting carried by a loki in a defense and wondering wtf was going on with the enemies haha.

Very good guide, i do use RD but now i know the most efficient way to use it, thanks to your ProTip, and i think Loki's helmet is quite badass. Try paint him all black an colour your 2nd tint red along with your energy with the defult helm and you have an Overlord right there.

Thank for grate guide! 

Was playing for a while with Mag, got a bit bored and wanted to switch back to Loki.

One question aside play style: what are your primary and melee weapons? I was thinking on Paris (until I get MR6 and get Soma) and Dual Ethers, since I don't use charge a lot. Maybe some other melee weapon viable for normal fast swings?

Thanks!