Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] How To Preview Clan Emblem

KIREEK

Question

I've been checking a few topics and i see there are plenty of them with complaints to how the preview of the clan emblem sucks, it shows a flat image, but, ingame things change ALOT, especially with bloom and other factors such as Anti aliasing or color correction.

I will explain how to get a more approximate version of the final clan emblem ingame using Photoshop, this is very basic, still this might be complex for someone who has never messed with Photoshop.

Even i had difficulties in finding a middle term for the options i picked, often this happens because when displaying a screenshot i have no idea on what were the settings of the screenshot, Bloom, color correction and other graphical tweaks are missed and while i get a good approximation on the final outcome, this outcome fails on another clan emblem.

So consider this as an approximation as to how will it look ingame.

Step 1 - Open your final clan emblem image in Photoshop

Step 2 - Add a black background on an new layer and make it so that your logo is on top

Click on the icon displayed in the image, drag the layers so that the logo is on top, use the bucket fill and paint that layer with black

Black is better than the grey and white pattern when checking transparencies and glows that many emblems have

tut_1.jpg

Step 3 (optional) - Save the image as .dds

DDS is fairly common nowadays when it comes to textures ingame, I'm not sure if warframe uses it, but it does seem like it, so to get an accurate representation, save as a .dds

You can get the dds plugin for Photoshop here: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-Photoshop

Dxt3 is what i recommend not because the image has an alpha (because the black background removes that) but because the image is likely to be converted to dxt3 since the original image does have an alpha, remember, this is a preview, you're not trying to make anything here.

This is a recommended step but not required, just remember that dds is for smooth color transitions, the more detail your emblem has, the worse it will look, you can not avoid this.

tut2.jpg

For a more technical view, the image is divided into segments that are 4x4 pixels, 4 times 4 equals 16 pixels, if each pixel has a different color then that segment has 16 different colors, DDS format allows only 4, compression must happen if there are more than 4 colors in there.

"Jagged edges" or "details mixed up with other details close to them" are common things to see, so be aware.

If you can't save as dds, save either as a png or a jpeg (use common sense on the compression of the jpeg)

Step 4 - Open the dds image (or png/jpg image) and duplicate the layer (right click on the layer > duplicate layer)

Tut3.jpg

Step 5 - Set the layer blending options as "screen"

tut4.jpg

Step 6 - Go to filter, select blur and then Gaussian blur, set it to 3 pixels

Tut5.jpg

There you go, the final look you now have is an approximate version of what you will see ingame with bloom on and with the compression.

If it looks to bright, jagged, with a "stair case effect" or other problems then that means that either the image is to bright or it has excessive detail, redo your original clan emblem and once it is remade please repeat this procedure so you can see the outcome.

I have here 3 examples of what the final outcome looks like
The 1st image is the clan logo with the black background, 2nd image is the compression and the 3rd is the compression and bloom.
The clan emblems here were randomly picked

test_1_1.jpgTest_1_2.jpgTest_1_3.jpg

Test_2_1.jpgTest_2_2.jpgTest_2_3.jpg

teste_3_1.jpgtest_3_2.jpgtest_3_3.jpg

Edited by KIREEKPSO

9 answers to this question

This is pretty accurate. Anyone reading this guide, please note this is a VERY good preview estimation to go off of. Much better than the preview you get when uploading the image to the Warframe website for approval.

The emblem WILL look like this even if Bloom and Glare are turned off.

This thread should be stickied. Sorry for the nekro-post but it's too good to pass up and players should see this before they get shafted by the in-game rendering process on their beautiful emblem.

Emblem brightness definitely seems to be affected by the environment. Turning OFF "Adaptive Exposure" in the graphical settings partially fixes the problem, but only partially. You only ever see the true website preview of the emblem in very dark areas. In bright areas the glow closely matches that created by the guide here.

This is what the emblem looks like in a dark environment compared to the original and the website preview:

tUMsdTH.png

And this is what it looks like in a brighter environment like the Liset compared to the preview given by this topic and the website preview

mtHh74g.png

All these comparisons are taken with Adaptive Exposure turned ON (I believe by default it is turned on).

Edited by Mr._Clean

On 31.1.2017 at 8:14 PM, (PS4)gutbreaker said:

If I invert the colors will just the white part show or the whole thing?

In that case black and white will be visible. If you want only the (inverted) white part, you have to "crop" the unwanted color out by hand. Then you can save it as an interlaced PNG file.

The following picture is interlaced, with the watermarks tho:

z5NJTFW.png