Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur 2.0 - We Are Almost There!

r0ckwolf

What a wild ride! 

It has been one year since i started this Thread and to now sit here and write this, knowing that we have acomplished everything, no even more, then we hoped for, is quiet exhilerating. 

For those who read this Thread for the first time i should maybe calrify, the recent Excalibur Rework has been largely influenced by this Thread and the work of the community members who took it upon themselfs to put their ideas and work into it.

It has seen many iterations, not all of them great, but the discussion was incredibly intruiging and fact driven, by the common desire to make Excalibur a better Frame. Personally i wanted to wait a bit with my review on him until i had time to thouroughly playtest  him, but now that i did, i can only say: Ohh boy, what a Frame we got!!! 

The Goal was to convince DE that Excalibur, as a melee Frame, felt outdated and deserved an update equally worthy of the Theme and the Posterboy Warframe. It was not easy, but this is a list of things we accomplished:

• Slash Dash now scales of Melee Mods

• Slash Dash now completely counts as a Melee Attack, scaling inversly of the Melee Combo Counter

• Radial Blind opens Enemys up for Finisher Attacks

• Super Jump has been removed

• Excalibur now completely revolves around his Energy Sword, making it central to every Ability

• He can equip his Energy Sword and use it simmilar to every other melee weapon with the addtion of it creating powerful blade waves

• Excaliburs Armor got buffed considerably, giving him the survivability a melee frame needs

It is just a pleasure to play Excalibur now, the way his Abilitys seamlessly blend into each other and complement his set feels incredibly rewarding. The Autoblocking feature, which never has been suggested as far i know, is just brilliant. Excalibur feels unique, versatille and extremely deadly all at once, well done DE, well done! :)

Ofcourse there is no perfection in this world and there are still some rough edges to iron out. In comparison of what has been achieved, these might seem petty, but in the long run i think the following things should be changed:

• Exalted Blade is awesome and the functionality and efficency are definetly fine in my opinion, however the range of the Blade Waves is so high by default that it almost nullifies the need to go into melee range. I noticed a lot of Players using it as a plasma canon of sorts, standing far away from the enemy and shooting at them from a distance. I do think that this is kind of beside the point of the rework, which was to make Excalibur a melee focused frame that excells in close range. So i´d suggest reducing the range from the blade Waves to 10 - 15 meters. This would keep the the Ultimate completely intact in it´s function and simply prevent camping strategies. :) 
  • I also noticed that the combos do very little in the sense of extra effects, so as a player you don´t feel encouraged to use them, since simply spamming lots of waves is more effective. Increasing the damage, adding a forced proc, maybe increasing the length of the waves or the size on certain attacks in consideration of the above mentioned change, would go along way to remedy this problem.
  • Radial Javelin, while quiet powerfull as a third ability in generall, sadly feels like a weaker version of Radial Blind as soon as the damage falls off. The Stun gives you very little time to slip away and in generall it doesn´t really work well as a panic button as soon as you don´t kill your enemys with it. If the Ability would ragdoll enemys away from you it would work wonders! I think since Excals damage output has increased quiet a lot overall, it would even make sense to decrease the damage on Radial Javelin in favor for more utility.

What do you think? Did the Update do Excalibur Justice? Is there something that should be changed? I´m eager to hear your thoughts. 

P.S.: Below you will find the final Version of the suggestion that led to the Update of Excalibur, if you´re interested in reading that.

***Update: DE took it upon themself to completely rework Excalibur, largely based on the accumulated Feedback form this and other Threads, so we can all tap ourselfs on the shoulder for that! ^^ i´m dying from anticipation now! 

I had some thoughts towards the upcoming changes that have been duscussed in the Livestream which you can see below: 

• Slash Dash currently adds to the Combo Counter, but is not affected by it inversely. So it´s damage doesn´t increase respectively while your Combo Counter increases, it would be awesome and only logicall if the new Version would do that, same goes for the Energy Sword Ultimate, but i think that´s a given. 

•  
  • A forced bleed proc would go a long way in helping Slash Dash stay viable in late game content.

•  
  • A quality of life improvement for Radial Blind is awesome, like the casting on the move thing they were talking about, but his animations/interactions with the sword are awesome and a large part of his identity, it would be a shame to see them removed.

•  
  • In regards to Radial Javelin and it potentially overlapping with Radial Blind, i was thinking about it this way: Radial Blind is sort of your initiation Tool to use when you wanna charge into Battle and melee everything. Radial Javelin is more like your Panic Button when Enemy forces are starting to overwhelm you. The old Version of Radial Javelin (shooting in a 360° arc) was doing a decent Job of that, if DE would add a ragdoll to it, so that enemys who don´t die don´t shoot you uniterrupted and maybe a minor Punch Through it would work perfectly.

•  
  • His new Ultimate will draw you in the midst of the Fight, for that scenario survivability becomes a vital factor to consider, a buff to his speed and HP stats could help with that. Another way would be to let the Ability give you some sort of added survivability, like HP regen, lifesteal, infinite stamina or damage reduction.
  •  

Hi,

let me start by saying that i always loved Excalibur, i remember seeing the closed Alpha Trailer for Warframe, where it was him chopping down a bunch of Grineer in Ninja fashion, that is what made me start playing Warframe.^^ Unfortunately at the moment the only reason i keep playing Excalibur is because i like him aesthetically, but his Skill set is just unbelievably underwhelming.

I strongly feel that every Frame, should be powerfull and unique in it´s own right and have his own niche inbetween all of them. Sadly that is not the case with many Warframes, even more sadly it´s especially not the case with Excalibur. 

This Thread has been around for quiet some time now and it´s clear goal was always to discuss Excaliburs role and usefullness in Warframe and in a Squad. I do hope that it´s gonna stay alive until we all unanimously agree that Excalibur is an exciting and strong Warframe to play!^^

These are my suggested adjustments, they aim for making Excalibur a viable choice in more situations and increasing his effectivness in higher levels. They are centered around the concept of Excalibur being an Melee focused Frame that features strong Sword attacks, kind of like an counterpart to Ash. With Ash being an Stealth focused Ninja Themed Warframe and Excalibur being more like an open combat focused "Samurai" Warrior of sorts!

Excalibur:

Slash Dash:

Slash Dash as a concept is an awesome ability, a combination of damage and mobility that can be used to initiate or escape, while fitting the theme of Warframe perfectly. It unfortunately falls of in damage extremely fast and is a bit clunky sometimes when you need to be percise with it. You get stuck on terrain or at an enemy while dashing or you overshoot your distance by a dozen meters when you just wanted to close the gap to that 1 Grineer.

It´s one of the few Abilitys that is very fun to use in quick sucession, since it kind of embodies an "hit and run" playstyle, so an passive damage buff that rewards a combination with melee or quick succesive dashs would be the best way to go.

Also a way to premturely end the dash with an melee strike would help a lot in making the ability an better more precise tool to work with in melee combat.

• Now deals a Forced Bleed proc. 
  •  
  • Deals multiplied damage based on the Combo Hit multiplier!
  •  
  • Animation can be prematurely cancelled by pressing the E Button. ( Excalibur performs a quick melee attack with his Energy Skana to end Slash Dash)
  •  

Radial Blind:

Radial Blind works very well for close ranged melee combat at the moment there is only 1 thing i really would add:

During the intial Stun phase of the Blind enemys are open for Finishers.

This would complement the overall melee theme of Excalibur and seems very fitting, since the Enemys are unable to defend themselfs during the intital stun of RB. Also having an option to open enemys up for finishers is something Excalibur would benefit a lot from!

Super Jump:

Changed to "Tenno Kenshi":

Excalibur uses his "unique" Energy Sword (that he already uses for RB and RJ) as his own personal Melee Weapon to cut down his prey.

• Toggable Ability, inital casting cost of 20 Energy; drains 1 Energy/s.

•  
  • When toggled on, Excalibur equips his Energy Sword to fight with. This Sword uses a unique Stance with unique animations. It´s damage is calculated simmilar to Valkyrs hysteria (set base dmg + x% of melee weapon damage). Additionaly the Sword "fuels" Excaliburs combat efficency, granting him +100% Base Stamina and +50% Stamina regen. 

•  
  • The Energy Sword shoots energy waves in the direction of each strike, which share the damage and all properties of the orginall strike.

•  
  • The energy waves have limited range, but "punch through" everything until their range threshold is reached.

Jhj4fbf.gif

Now wouldn´t we all like to see this! ;) Thx to SteelSoldier for the Gif! 

•  

Super Jump is becoming increasingly obsolete with new movement additions. It was always a highly situational Ability, that even when the situation alloed it had the major downside of completely disarming you. Air directional Melee Attacks do everything Super Jump does but better and for free. Time to make room for something new, don´t you think! 

"Tenno Kenshi" would offer an Ability that fits better mechanically and thematically to complement Excaliburs Skill Set and Playstyle. Now all of his 4 Abilitys would involve his Energy Skana and he really would have an insentive to go into melee range, which is where his other Abilitys are most effective as well. Aside from being incredibly cool the  Energy Waves shot from the Blade also offer great Utility, since they hit a much larger Area than usuall with melee attacks.

Radial Javelin:

Radial Javelin is aparently a real headscratcher for DE, since it has seen so many different iterattions that it gets hard to keep track.

For me it was always a simple Ability, it´s Excaliburs Panic Button of sorts! When you are getting swarmed by a big group and it´s time to make a run for it or when you need to clean up a bunch of little guys so you can focus on the big ones, using Radial Javelin is the way to go.

The current iteration really doesn´t reflect these scenarios anymore, since it´s an simple AoE Nuke that feels way to simmilar to other Warframes Ultimates. The previous Version did a much better job in complementing Excaliburs Ability Set, since it rewarded being in the mid of a clustered group much more. It simply had a couple of issues, that could have easily beeen fixed though.

First and foremost it offered no utility at all, everything that didn´t die just kept shooting at you uninterupted, for something that needs to be used in close range this is a horrible flaw since it can easily result in your death!

Secondly the damage was really underwhelming. An Ability that has a limited number of targets and puts yourself in danger should at least be powerfull enough to make up for those downsides. 

And last but not least: Punch Through!!! I´m really fine with most of the Line of Sight changes, i don´t need to hit everything 3 rooms ahaead that i can´t see yet with my abilities, but it´s really frustrating when a simple crate or shield completely blocks your most powerfull Ability, especially since it´s already limited by your postion and a unit cap!

So this is what i would do:

• Restored Radial Javelin to it´s former Version, in which the Javelins are spawned from Excalibur himself in a 360° arc.

•  
  • Now deals 1000 Finisher Damage, instead of 3x333 Physical Damage.
  •  
  • Javelins now have innate Punch Through.
  •  
  • Enemys hit are ragdolled away from Excalibur instead of being stunned.

•  

Passives and Stat tweaks:

Building upon the my suggested Ideas/Buffs a passive i would like to see a lot is:

Excaliburs Melee Hit Counter remains x% (~100-150 sounds good to me) longer then normal!

All of Excaliburs Abiltiys kind of force him to be in the middle of the Fight especially after the LoS change for Radial Blind, dissapointigly Excaliburs Base Stats do not reflect this at all and are more simmilar to those of a lot of the Casters in the game, forcing you to heavily Mod for Surivability, which takes away a lot of the flexiblity he should have when it comes to modding. So to fix that, these are my suggested,

Stat Tweaks:

• increased Base Health and Shields to 120.
  •  
  • increased Base Armor to 100
  •  
  • increased Base Movespeed to 1.1
  •  
  • increased Base Stamina to 150

•  

A melee focused Class definetly needs some above average survivability to be able to charge into battle, this is where Excalibur currently lacks the most.

The Speed and Stamina buff allow for better Melee engagements and survivability through blocking damage with your melee weapon and avoiding it through quick and good movement.

Surging Dash:

As of Update 15.6 we have access to a new Augment for Excalibur, which does something we all requested for a long time, as can be seen here in this Thread. It increases the Melee Hit Counter for each Enemy hit by 1/2/3/4. This is kinnda a two edged sword in my opinion, first of all it´s great that this is finally recockgnized and integrated in some way and the idea of an augment that adds more then 1 to the meele counter per enemy hit is something i do like a lot.

BUT, it is a big slap in the face for all of us who suggested this change that it´s released exclusively as an augment! As stated thousands of times throughout the Forums, this effect is something the Ability should already do on it´s own (including a forced/high chance bleed proc), it´s very dissapointing that something that should be considered as a basic attribute of the Ability is released exclusively as an Augment, this way the undewhelming aspect of the Abiltiy is not fixed and it remains unusable on it´s own.

So my suggestion is simple: Without the augment, Slash Dash does what is suggested below, increase the melee hit counter by +1 per enemy hit and a forced bleed proc and (this is important) is affected by the Melee Hit Counter the same way Bladestorm is, so that it´s damage is increased depending on it.

Now the Augment does not have to be taken out, it´s simply an increase for these values, so when you equip Surging Dash the Melee Hit Counter is increased by +2/3/4/5 per Enemy Hit instead of +1, this way the Ability gets it´s much needed buff and becomes very viable on it´s own, while the Augment adds to that in a way very cool and powerfull way!

You may ask: "WUT?!?!", Don´t you dare touch my Super Jump, i love it and it´s usefulblablablabla!" Well....

I AGREE!!!^^

And this is my proposal: 

I always felt that Super Jump is extermely usefull and fits the theme of having a powerfull ninja-sci-fi exoskeleton very well, but it´s also insanely situational and overshadowed by pretty much every other power in the game. It would, in my humble opinion, make a lot of sense to incorporate Super Jump into the basic move set of all Warframes by simply holding the Jump Key and charging up your Jump by doing that! 

Ofcourse it still needs to cost energy and maybe some stamina as well, to prevent infinite spamming and not making wallruns and parkour obsolete, but it would fit well with every Warframe and would be a great addition to the mobility-movement pool.

Edited by r0ckwolf

Excal needs some new casting animations. His current animations for RB and RJ are pretty weak looking/boring.

I like the idea of Super Charge but I think the buffs are a bit OP, well, actually a lot OP. Drop the Channelling Efficiency I'd say, if people want to use Excal with a Super Charge buff they'd naturally take a weapon with good Channel anyway

Excal needs some new casting animations. His current animations for RB and RJ are pretty weak looking/boring.

I like the idea of Super Charge but I think the buffs are a bit OP, well, actually a lot OP. Drop the Channelling Efficiency I'd say, if people want to use Excal with a Super Charge buff they'd naturally take a weapon with good Channel anyway

Updated casting animations would definetly be cool!^^

I really don´t know why you would consider Super Charge OP even in the slightess though?!? Consider that it doesn´t increase your damage output at all and has a cost increase to 75 Energy! The buffs are definetly meant for better used in Melee and the channeling efficency gives you some more room to play around with channeling mods, it is a temporary effect though.

Also the buffs themselfs aren´t to strong, it is the combination that gives you a destinct edge over other Frames and since Excal has no damage mitigation at all he relies kinnda on hit and run tactics in which he combines skills and quick damage bursts with his weapons, this ability further amplifys this playstyle. No opness here my friend!^^

I like the changes, it would make Super Jump - a skill I never use - actually good. Sometimes my frame gets stuck on an enemy doing Dash and I was wondering if collision checks are a bit bugged for Slash Dash. Also, the animation for Radial Javelin kills me as it takes too long to initiate and after the damage. Needs to be shorter.

I like the changes, it would make Super Jump - a skill I never use - actually good. Sometimes my frame gets stuck on an enemy doing Dash and I was wondering if collision checks are a bit bugged for Slash Dash. Also, the animation for Radial Javelin kills me as it takes too long to initiate and after the damage. Needs to be shorter.

I actually like the casting animation for Javelin, but i agree that it is very long and leaves you incredible vulnerable, invicibility frames during the casting animations might be a solution!

YEAH LOVE IT! But i think super charge should also buff his allies anyways +1

hmm... it would definetly give Excalibur more Teampresence, but the combination of RB and a team Super Charge might be a bit too much!!!

am i the only one who thinks like Loki, that Excal is fine just as he is?

yes and no!^^ As i said i always liked Excal and his versatility makes him quiet usefull in the beginning of the game, but no Frame should be only usefull in certain stages of the game, they absolutely all have to bring something to the table against high level enemys. That´s Excal´s problem, he has little to no damage output with Slash Dash and RJ past level 35 Enemys and Super Jump the way it is now, will always be highly situational, it is a nice mobility tool on open levels and can combine nicely with RB & RJ, but the hundreds of thight corridors in the game make it insanely useless most of the time. I like the skill that´s why i kept it´s functionalitty, i added a very powerfull melee buff to it!!! 

RB is fine as it is, but his reliance on RB in high levels turns Excal from an Swordplay Melee Frame into an CC disabler and there are other disablers in the game who just do the job better! As you may noticed i left RB completely untouched but buffed all his other skills to have more synergy with it and increase his overall damage outputt, but most importantly, he would feel like a versatile Melee Frame again if this should happen.^^

will defiantly make Excalibur more useable as currently I use only 1 ability which is radial blind as his others just seem so underpowered even at mid levels. sometimes use slash dash for a bit of mobility when Im bored of running

just one question with the super charge ability, you said that he will be in channelling state so I take it he can only use his melee and no other weapon during that time?

would like to see his slash dash riley on his melee weapon he carries so its based on his melee damage which also would include 100-50 per cent chance of proc which is from his melee such as he has viral on his melee he does viral proc to those he hit with slash dash. just what I would like to see

will defiantly make Excalibur more useable as currently I use only 1 ability which is radial blind as his others just seem so underpowered even at mid levels. sometimes use slash dash for a bit of mobility when Im bored of running

just one question with the super charge ability, you said that he will be in channelling state so I take it he can only use his melee and no other weapon during that time?

would like to see his slash dash riley on his melee weapon he carries so its based on his melee damage which also would include 100-50 per cent chance of proc which is from his melee such as he has viral on his melee he does viral proc to those he hit with slash dash. just what I would like to see

I imagined it so he would be in a permanent channeling state for the duration, but he can still use every weapon and is not forced to use melee. It encourages melee use a lot and holds high damage potential, but it could also be used as an mobility tool for advanced gunplay. 

I had something simmilar in mind for slash dash aswell, but i went for an less agressive aproach that is more in line with DE´s current vision of ability reworks. I´d still like to see some percentage based abilitys some day, i think that´s the only way of really dealing with the scaling of high enemys!

I can´t believe how little love and attention Excalibur recieves from the community.... Considering how DE is in the process of reworking a lot of abilities i´d hoped for more input and people raising their voices for him to get a much needed buff!!!

I can´t believe how little love and attention Excalibur recieves from the community.... Considering how DE is in the process of reworking a lot of abilities i´d hoped for more input and people raising their voices for him to get a much needed buff!!!

It comes from literally hundreds of posts stretched across 3 major updates without hearing one word from DE about xcal.

I'm telling you guys, they want him to die off because his prime is a founder's exclusive.  That's the only logical reason.

They even gave Ash's Bladestorm damage based on the hit counter.  Something Slash Dash should have above all else and they've proven it isn't hard to do.

it_aint_broke_cap.PNG

sighh.... it´s not about him being broken! His Abilities work for what they are intended to do, but his flat damage is simply the lowest in the game, which results in Excalibur simply not scaling at all, even with midrange enemys. After lvl 20 Enemys you don´t do any damage at all anymore, which makes Excalibur extremely undesirable to have in an high level lineup.

His only redeeming quality is ofcourse a maximizied Radial Blind, which results in an extremely boring playstyle, that has nothing to do with what Excalibur is intended to do: Be an badass SWORDFRAME!!!!

it_aint_broke_cap.PNG

Thank you. Someone who gets it.

Radial Javelin needs to have some sort of utility that allows it to scale into later game (e.g. impaling enemies onto walls with the Javelins, allowing them to walk around again only after the Javelins disappear), but that's the only thing that's strictly necessary. Slash Dash is already great for mobility (although I quite like the changes suggested, since they make sense and they make the ability viable for damage without making it one-shot everything like most people want to).

The Super Jump suggestion angers me, though. If you complain about its lack of usefulness, then it's frankly a problem with the player and not the ability. It's spammable whenever you want to use it, and it is simply one of the best mobility-based abilities in the game considering that it can be used in practically any situation for various purposes (for 10 energy!). You can go ahead and suggest an alternate 3, but suggesting that it be removed and replaced because it doesn't match your playstyle is NOT okay in my book. Nobody's touching my Super Jump.

EDIT:

Updated 9/11/14.

Liking the suggestions much better right now. +1 to OP.

For Radial Javelin, though, I think it would be pretty sweet to simply speed up the animation and give each javelin a pinning effect-- so that enemies (whether or not they are killed) are ragdolled and pinned to walls by the javelins that hit them. The ones that survive the hit take a couple seconds after the pinning to rejoin the fray.

Edited by SortaRandom

Thank you. Someone who gets it.

Radial Javelin needs to have some sort of utility that allows it to scale into later game (e.g. impaling enemies onto walls with the Javelins, allowing them to walk around again only after the Javelins disappear), but that's the only thing that's strictly necessary. Slash Dash is already great for mobility (although I quite like the changes suggested, since they make sense and they make the ability viable for damage without making it one-shot everything like most people want to).

The Super Jump suggestion angers me, though. If you complain about its lack of usefulness, then it's frankly a problem with the player and not the ability. It's spammable whenever you want to use it, and it is simply one of the best mobility-based abilities in the game considering that it can be used in practically any situation for various purposes (for 10 energy!). You can go ahead and suggest an alternate 3, but suggesting that it be removed and replaced because it doesn't match your playstyle is NOT okay in my book. Nobody's touching my Super Jump.

I think you misunderstood my Super Jump change/suggestion.^^ I´m not complaining about it´s lack of usefullness, it´s a good mobility skill, but it´s insanely situational! A lot of the Levelsets in Warframe are build around tight corridors and confined spaces in which super jump simply does nothing in. If you read my post thouroughly you´ll see that i suggested that it´s jump usage will be kept alive! As long as "Super Charge" is active you can jump with your regular jump key the same way superjump does now.

The additional mellee buffs of "Super Charge" are for addtional utility and damage scaling into higher level enemys, i designed it the same way as the slash dash changes are meant to work, so you can´t 1 hit everything, but will have the possiblity dish out a lot more damage through stacking your combo hit counter. I also liked that his first 3 skills would synergize extremely well together if they´d work like this!

Edited by r0ckwolf

I think you misunderstood my Super Jump change/suggestion.^^ I´m not complaining about it´s lack of usefullness, it´s a good mobility skill, but it´s insanely situational! A lot of the Levelsets in Warframe are build around tight corridors and confined spaces in which super jump simply does nothing in. If you read my post thouroughly you´ll see that i suggested that it´s jump usage will be kept alive! As long as "Super Charge" is active you can jump with your regular jump key the same way superjump does now.

The additional mellee buffs of "Super Charge" are for addtional utility and damage scaling into higher level enemys, i designed it the same way as the slash dash changes are meant to work, so you can´t 1 hit everything, but will have the possiblity dish out a lot more damage through stacking your combo hit counter. I also liked that his first 3 skills would synergize extremely well together if they´d work like this!

I read your post. I do not see why 75 energy for 12 seconds of effective Super Jump would help me.

Nobody does a bunch of Super Jumps in bursts, and even if they did, you'd still only be able to squeeze three or four Super Jumps in that time span (slightly more if there's a very low ceiling). You'd still be effectively spending much more energy per jump unless you're sitting under a very low ceiling and mashing the Space bar, in which case it would still be a waste anyways.

You're trying to "appeal" to Super Jumpers, but the only thing happening here is that our effective cost per Super Jump is being increased by a crapton (at least quadrupled, if we apply the jumps as we currently do instead of artificially squeezing out as many jumps as possible [which would not be practical at all]).

What we want is for a bit of extra utility to be tossed in (e.g. having the post-jump cooldown on all actions reduced, being given the ability to Super Leap off walls when wallrunning, etc), but nothing that will hamper our current use of the ability in any way. 75 energy for 12 seconds of Super Jump is the exact opposite of what we want.

You could suggest that Super Charge be implemented as an alternate 3, so players still have the choice to equip SJ if they so wish. Until then, this post is getting a flat "no" from me.

Edited by SortaRandom

if they introduce the alternative warframe abilitys everyone wants you can keep your supper jump but have an alternative such as super charge that sortarandom  suggested

This would make us all happy.

All excellent changes that work well thematically with Excalibur, turning him from zero to hero in one fell swoop. (I still play Excal because he's a bro and my first warframe in the game.)

Although... I'm a bit in with the 'keep super jump as is' crowd.

I also feel that the changes mentioned in this thread I posted are necessary visual changes.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/170997-excaliburs-powers-need-visual-work/

Edited by Vaskadar