Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe.msi File Won't Launch

DuffmasterFresh

Question

AVG deleted my Warframe(x64).exe file so I have to download and install all 6GB of the game again. I couldn't find a way to put that file back and google search acted like no one has ever had that problem before, so I had nowhere else to turn but here.

I downloaded the Warframe.msi file from the website and when I double click it, it acts like it is going to open but it doesn't. I tried to right click and run as administrator, but that option is not available. Any idea what is going on? I am running Windows 8. I do not and will not use steam. I have AVG disabled while trying to get this file to open. Thank you.

Edited by DuffmasterFresh

12 answers to this question

Sounds like AVG is probably flagging/quarantining the temporary files that the MSI is creating when you launch it.

Step 1: Throw AVG out the window because it's kind of trash.

Step 2: Install Microsoft Security Essentials. Ironically the best free AV for Windows is made by Microsoft themselves. 

Step 3: Run Warframe.msi to reinstall the game (note: Warframe.msi is not used to run the game/start the launcher)

Step 4: Run the launcher (Installer should make a shortcut for you, if not try in the following directory:

"C:\Users\<Your Windows Account>\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe"

In the future, you shouldn't be running the game from Warframe.exe or Warframe(x64).exe, you need to launch the game from the launcher, which will then select the game's executable based on what your launchers settings are set to.

I completely deleted the warframe folder to do a fresh install. I went back to the warframe website and downloaded the client, which is called Warframe.MSI for some reason.

If you haven't deleted your Warframe folder from your local app data (NOT program files) then the MSI may not be launching because it detects Warframe as already being installed. Try navigating to the following folder:

"C:\Users\<Your Windows Account>\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools"

If you see a "Launcher.exe" file, run it. It will start the Warframe launcher and should check for missing files and redownload as necessary.

If you haven't deleted your Warframe folder from your local app data (NOT program files) then the MSI may not be launching because it detects Warframe as already being installed. Try navigating to the following folder:

"C:\Users\<Your Windows Account>\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools"

If you see a "Launcher.exe" file, run it. It will start the Warframe launcher and should check for missing files and redownload as necessary.

It says that folder does not exist. I went to that folder earlier and deleted it, all 6GBs of it. 

I deleted C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Warframe 

I was informed that that is the only way to "uninstall" this game. 

Sounds like AVG is probably flagging/quarantining the temporary files that the MSI is creating when you launch it.

Step 1: Throw AVG out the window because it's kind of trash.

Step 2: Install Microsoft Security Essentials. Ironically the best free AV for Windows is made by Microsoft themselves. 

Step 3: Run Warframe.msi to reinstall the game (note: Warframe.msi is not used to run the game/start the launcher)

Step 4: Run the launcher (Installer should make a shortcut for you, if not try in the following directory:

"C:\Users\<Your Windows Account>\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe"

In the future, you shouldn't be running the game from Warframe.exe or Warframe(x64).exe, you need to launch the game from the launcher, which will then select the game's executable based on what your launchers settings are set to.

Actually, doesn't Win8 come with MSE already installed, except it's called Windows Defender or something? But yeah, ditch that AVG. It got terrible years ago.

Mind, I'm part of the Avast master race, but I think that's what it was like.

I have no problem ditching AVG, I switch between the free antivirus softwares a lot to test them all out anyway.

When I go to double click the "Warframe.msi" file, which I downloaded directly from the website when I clicked the big blue "DOWNLOAD NOW" button, it won't open. A loading bar appears for one millisecond and then nothing happens and it disappears. 

I have no problem ditching AVG, I switch between the free antivirus softwares a lot to test them all out anyway.

When I go to double click the "Warframe.msi" file, which I downloaded directly from the website when I clicked the big blue "DOWNLOAD NOW" button, it won't open. A loading bar appears for one millisecond and then nothing happens and it disappears. 

Check your task manager to make sure that Warframe.msi and Warframe.exe (or Warframe(x64).exe) isn't running in the background. Also, make sure that you uninstall Warframe from your Programs & Features area of your control panel so that any lingering registry entries and folders get removed.

If it's still not launching properly, try restarting your system and try again. If it still doesn't work, delete Warframe.msi and redownload the file from the site. 

If that still fails, it might be a good idea to try installing it through Steam.

Check your task manager to make sure that Warframe.msi and Warframe.exe (or Warframe(x64).exe) isn't running in the background. Also, make sure that you uninstall Warframe from your Programs & Features area of your control panel so that any lingering registry entries and folders get removed.

If it's still not launching properly, try restarting your system and try again. If it still doesn't work, delete Warframe.msi and redownload the file from the site. 

If that still fails, it might be a good idea to try installing it through Steam.

I deleted it from my Programs & Features and now it works! The Warframe.msi file has opened and is installing the game. 

I had originally went to Programs & Features to uninstall it during my first go around and it wouldn't do it. Once I deleted the entire Warframe file, I never thought to go back to the Programs & Features, I assumed after I did my system restart it would disappear. Guess not. Thanks for the help!!

Lastly, should any anti-virus ever delete any of my game files again, is there any way to put a file back without having to uninstall the game and re-install it? Do they have some kind of repair program for us non-steam users?

I deleted it from my Programs & Features and now it works! The Warframe.msi file has opened and is installing the game. 

I had originally went to Programs & Features to uninstall it during my first go around and it wouldn't do it. Once I deleted the entire Warframe file, I never thought to go back to the Programs & Features, I assumed after I did my system restart it would disappear. Guess not. Thanks for the help!!

Lastly, should any anti-virus ever delete any of my game files again, is there any way to put a file back without having to uninstall the game and re-install it? Do they have some kind of repair program for us non-steam users?

The launcher can repair any lost or missing game files (just run the launcher.exe file and go to launcher options--the little 'gear' button--and press "verify game cache").

As for antivirus, no, it shouldn't AVG has been known to identify false positives, and it likely identified Warframe's anti-cheat system as an unsafe script (because it's an anti-cheat that checks your system's running processes, which sometimes throws up red flags for AV programs).

Stick with Microsoft Security Essentials (or just Windows Defender if you're running WIndows 8). You don't need AVG or anything like that.