Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Heavy Assault Rifle

VKhaun

In Short:

Old Gorgon gameplay. Tap for semi, hold for auto.

To get around the problem of bloom making your semi-auto fire really inaccurate real quick, part of the animation and sound of the weapon would be sync'd up with ACCURACY BLOOM RESET TIME rather than being sync'd up with firing rate, so you always know exactly when you're good to fire another semi shot with full accuracy. Firing in full auto constantly resets the animation early and tells the story of how the rifle works differently.

TL;DR:

So I had two ideas that I think came together pretty well.

A crude, non-hitscan, Grineer AK with a rotating over/under double chamber that spins one chamber into place while the other loads a round below it, then they swap places after each shot alternating firing and loading, and the old school gorgon playstyle with accurate semi-auto and inaccurate automatic fire.

My weapon concept does not spool up and is basically just an automatic with a low rate of fire and accuracy bloom (gets worse as you shoot it). Anyone who was around for the Gorgon nerf knows what I'm talking about. You try to use it as semi-auto now and you lose accuracy very quickly if you fire it too fast. The only problem with the Gorgon is that you don't know how fast is too fast. All I did here was allow the same thing to happen with accuracy degradation as you tap off singles, except I add an animation and sound to the weapon that syncs with the accuracy bloom's reset time. The bolt moving all the way forward with a loud clank.

(i.e. if the gun can fire every .X seconds and not lose any accuracy, the bolt is going to lock back in place after .X seconds and play a quick heavy clank sound so the player knows by sight and sound that they can fire accurately again. If you're going full auto or tapping it faster than the reset time, the animation cycles early, the bolt never makes it all the way forward and the sound doesn't play as you repeatedly fire faster than every .X seconds and lose accuracy.)

60% Impact

40% Fire

0% Crit

30% Status

5.5 rounds/sec*

35 round mag

1.8 reload

VERY fast projectile, faster than Seer, but not hitscan.

Light recoil but not zero.

Accuracy degrades slowly as you go full auto, but can get very wild if you dump the mag.

Very light orange trail behind the rounds.

Very subtle, not like a throwing dagger.

MS Paint skeelz

m8I2FxO.png

Dev's Only BONUS POINTS:

+1 Bonus Point:

Tracer rounds. Instead of 60%/40% split of impact and fire damage, it's a normal spread of physical with high impact like Karak, but every third round or so is a tracer which deals full damage including elements all converted to 100% fire damage and leaves a bright streak of your energy color.

+2 Bonus Points:

Must be clearly visible in the bottom chamber and top chamber so players know it's coming.

+1337 Bonus Points:
Tracer rounds  always proc the fire DoT with the ER MA GERD I'M BURNIN reaction animation!

Edited by VKhaun

I'm not sure if I want the projectile speed to change or not depending on bolt position. I took it out of the original description but it's still in the MS Paint skeelz text blurbs. I'm on the fence about that. It sounds cool, but I don't want to make full auto so bad that no one uses it for anything but a semi-auto with a bad trigger. To work, the concept has to be worth using it as both so people can go fluidly from spraying to tapping and back and forth by waiting for that clank sound and for the bolt to go all the way forward.

Edited by VKhaun

I kinda view the karak as the AK of the grineer, but I dig this idea.

+1

Karak is like the lovechild of the M4 and the AK.

Still, it feels more like an M4 in practice. Not much percussion or bass in its firing sound, sprays pretty fast. We need something slow and heavy, which an AK may not exactly be, but that it has somehow been attributed to the stereotype in gaming.

Karak is like the lovechild of the M4 and the AK.

Still, it feels more like an M4 in practice. Not much percussion or bass in its firing sound, sprays pretty fast. We need something slow and heavy, which an AK may not exactly be, but that it has somehow been attributed to the stereotype in gaming.

Exactly. AK in slow-mo with clanky noises.

I <3 my Karak, but it's no 'gamer's AK'.

• 3 months later...

Reminds me of a Styer, what with the dual staged trigger and all. Plus, for a race hellbent on war and dominating the galaxy, this looks like something Sargus might cook up... well, minus the fire.

Right!?

I can easily see this having some cool, concise lore.

"A Grineer marksman rifle that fell out of favor long ago, now seeing a revival as close combat troops have discovered that it can be easily modified to fire it's large caliber rounds in full auto."