Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Eximus More Visible

notionphil

Thanks for adding more Eximus mobs and adjusting their scaling! They add a new challenging dimension to combat especially when they spawn in high numbers in late survival waves.

However, the challenge of an Eximus shouldn't be figuring out where they are. They spawn in late waves amongst crowds of dozens of enemies. Please make Eximus mobs much more visible - we should be able to instantly sight them when scanning a room, even over a crowd.

1) Increase their model size by 30 to 50%.

(or make them have a vertical 'column of light' effect that is distinct from the rare mod effect)

2) Make them all have a more distinct glow around their entire body, not just a ring around their feet....their allies also have the foot ring, so that's not a helpful differentiating factor.

3) If they have an AoE aura that will affect you, make that aura's range visible. Yes, please create a faint 'circle' so we can detect which direction they are coming from, and have a chance to react accordingly as opposed to just seeing a 'foot circle' and not knowing where to run.

These changes will make the Eximus more fun to engage. Thanks and keep up the great direction with new enemies!

Some selected feedback on the suggestion

Take a Shock Eximus Crewman from the Void for example. Sometimes, there are so many Orokin shield drones that you can't see what each units are, but one of the most dangerous units is among them and the only thing standing in your way is oversaturated visual effects, and a slightly lacking one coming from Shock Eximus' side (they have purple effects, which is the darkest color in the spectrum, and shield drones are blue so it easily melds together).

30%-50% model increase seems a little too big. Napalm/Bombard/Tech Eximus would be nearly twice the height of a regular unit (Which isn't bad, but sounds ridiculous.) Giving an Eximus glowing beacon, similar to rare mods/BP orbs, could help pin their location in a crowd.

This got me thinking. They're supposed to be leaders rallying their allies with buffs right? How about carrying a tall flag with their faction's insignia? Positioned like in this unreal tournament pic: ewbb1.jpg

I dunno what the infested would have, but they have special colorings already don't they?

Edit: Maybe it's only fitting for the Grineer to have a straight up banner on a pole; Corpus leaders could project their insignia above them as a hologram, hmm? The corrupted leaders could wear those bright syndanas maybe, but I don't think that'll be enough since they'll be easily obscured among the swarm; it won't be as visible as something that is identifying from above.

Great ideas too. This is more inline with lore than my suggestion.

However for the sake of simplicity, I'll leave the OP as is, but agree that this would be cooler.

Standard Bearers for Grineer

Holo Flags for Corpus

Neural Sentry Vertical Beam for Corrupted

Infestation Swarm Cloud for Infested.

+1

Edited by notionphil

I agree with pretty much all except one thing, which is this:

1) Increase their model size by 30 to 50%.

While I do agree from gameplay perspective, I completely disagree from an artistic standpoint. Simply scaling up units is often immersion-breaking (yeah sorry had to use that word), and gives a very "lazy" vibe to the design (just like Corpus Techs). This is the reason why I would prefer Eximus to be unique models and units, rather than the Eximus of a Shockwave MOA, a Leech Osprey, etc.

But yeah, again, from a gameplay perspective, I still agree with it for more visibility.

Does some graphics setting make them less visible or something? I have all settings on and maxed and don't have any problem spotting them.

It's also a matter of situations, and for units like Eximus, they should be visible in all situations if they aren't going to have more visibility in, for instance, their aura (like a faint ring as suggested in OP).

Take a Shock Eximus Crewman from the Void for example. Sometimes, there are so many Orokin shield drones that you can't see what each units are, but one of the most dangerous units is among them and the only thing standing in your way is oversaturated visual effects, and a slightly lacking one coming from Shock Eximus' side (they have purple effects, which is the darkest color in the spectrum, and shield drones are blue so it easily melds together).

Edited by Casardis

Alternatively to adding "ability range indicators" (this is going to get tricky when there are 3, 4, or 5 of them, considering how much range they HAVE), how about changing their procs into small AOE travel-time projectiles? Faster than Napalm shots, but with visual effects that actually denote the maximum extent of their range?  

30%-50% model increase seems a little too big. Napalm/Bombard/Tech Eximus would be nearly twice the height of a regular unit (Which isn't bad, but sounds ridiculous.) Giving an Eximus glowing beacon, similar to rare mods/BP orbs, could help pin their location in a crowd.

Hopefully, this won't be more or less ignored either.

Via a couple of PMs, I have increasing confidence/hope that DE understands some of the core issues plaguing enemy challenge and engagement (including better "dumb" mechanics).

Time will tell, but this would be another step in the right direction :)

My thought is that all eximus should be large enough to spot, so maybe a Charger would be 50% larger, but a heavy 30%. My numerical range might be off...I just want them to stand out in a crowd more.

Couldn't you use the column of light effect that rare drops have to get the same effect? 

The problem I see with making them taller is that it also means their head is above the others in the crowd.  They're not just more visible, they're more shootable since their allies won't block your aim to them.

Couldn't you use the column of light effect that rare drops have to get the same effect? 

The problem I see with making them taller is that it also means their head is above the others in the crowd.  They're not just more visible, they're more shootable since their allies won't block your aim to them.

That's a good idea as well. The actual column of light currently means 'rare drop' so we wouldn't want to break that precident, but yeah another column effect is fine instead of height.

Having said that, with how frequently they spawn at high levels, I'm OK with them being more shootable as well. I'm good with either and I'll add a note to the OP.

This got me thinking. They're supposed to be leaders rallying their allies with buffs right? How about carrying a tall flag with their faction's insignia? Positioned like in this unreal tournament pic: ewbb1.jpg

I dunno what the infested would have, but they have special colorings already don't they?

Edit: Maybe it's only fitting for the Grineer to have a straight up banner on a pole; Corpus leaders could project their insignia above them as a hologram, hmm? The corrupted leaders could wear those bright syndanas maybe, but I don't think that'll be enough since they'll be easily obscured among the swarm; it won't be as visible as something that is identifying from above.

Edited by Variablemania

This got me thinking. They're supposed to be leaders rallying their allies with buffs right? How about carrying a tall flag with their faction's insignia? Positioned like in this unreal tournament pic:

However for the sake of simplicity, I'll leave the OP as is, but agree that this would be cooler.

Holo Flags for Corpus

+1

Holo Flags for Corpus

+1

Sounds like a plan.+1

Rather than all of them having the same (and sometimes hard to see) red glow, they should actually have an effect/aura that matches their ability, such as the Arson Eximus having smoke and fire on him, Arctic Eximi giving off frost and small ice particles, Shock Eximi having electricity flowing around them, etc.

Also, Energy Leeches should have a energy beam similar to Trinity's Link between the player(s) and them once they're in range, and perhaps Health Leeches should glow green when they're physically damaging you and healing.

Although in the far future, I do hope to see them receive more unique models (along with improved mechanics).

I would also like to add that we could have danger signs at the top middle of the Warframe UI when we enter the Eximi's aura range (Red for Arson, Purple for Shock, Blue for Arctic, Green for Venomous) (individual for each aura), meaning if players still cannot see where the Eximus is, at least they would know that it is somewhere. 

Make the eximus more visible is a good demand.

The answer is within the lore. Explain why they got this power and you'll know how to represent them.

I see in the lore two possible explanations for the magic power of warframes and eximus have : Void and maybe tennocyte.

Once you chose of these, you're few steps away to make them look different.

Edited by HurricaneBones

Make the eximus more visible is a good demand.

The answer is within the lore. Explain why they got this power and you'll know how to represent them.

I see in the lore two possible explanations for the magic power of warframes and eximus have : Void and maybe tennocyte.

Once you chose of these, you're few steps away to make them look different.

Technology. 

I have written down flavour text for some of the Eximus. Want to see them?

So frost got his snowglobe power from the void, and the guardian eximus from technology ?

So greener and corpus developped and infested developped the exact same technology at the same time ?

Damn' i'm so hurt at the lore development :(

In my opinion, the Corpus has not yet fully replicated Warframe powers, but had made some headway into it, thus they utilise technology in their Eximus that have some elements of Warframe powers, but not a full replication. Also, the Corpus also developed their own technology outside of Warframe power influence to be used to the Eximus. That would mean Arctic Eximus will not have the Snow Globe, but will have something else (excuse me while I start thinking about it. What about something with that Corpus Freeze Ray gun?)

As for Grineer: New ballistics/explosive/arson weaponry development, coupled with a few accidental biology discoveries from Tyl Regor. 

As for Infested: Genetic mutation. Probably the most plausible explanation. 

Actually, I think I will just share my Eximus Overhaul Link to let you see my own lore on the Eximus: 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/247791-enemy-eximus-overhaul-suggestions-now-with-guardian-eximus-rework/

Edited by Renegade343