Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Mage With 4 Spells

CaptainohCaptain

We have 19 warframes holding 76 powerful (or not quite) abilities. Yet you may bring only 4 predefined for cosplay party.

Oh, you may bring occasional 5th force with sentinel. All of them are predefined and set in stone.

From the other side, we have a lot of mods for frames falling from every corpse or box in void.

So, why not solve both problems by adding possibility to combine these ingridients to craft a consumable 1-use free-of-charge power?

Formula of fun is pretty simple:

We have 3 new consumable blueprints.

Minor power: Taking common power mod,  100 rubedo and 100 circuits, 500 credits, giving 5 "scrolls" of this power

Medium: Taking uncommon power mod, same quantity of resourses, giving 1 "scroll" of power.

Major: Rare power mod, 100 rubedo, 100 circuits, 500 credits, 5 Fieldron samples, giving 1 "scroll" of power.

But this will overshadow my frame_x!

This one? Will not. Your frame is not so craft-dependent and there is a maximization part which won't be available for said consumable. Aside from that, it's possible  to use matching for your frame power consumable for cost-free and, maybe, amplified ability?

Great, now every frame will spam ability_x...

To spam said ability, one will have to craft a lot of them first. To prevent this, not-so-common and abundant resourses were chosen for craft.

Interesting concept, not sure about implementation or how it would work in regards to lore or gameplay interest.

I find I never use these kind of things that are 'one time use' because 'I will always need them later'

Interesting concept, not sure about implementation or how it would work in regards to lore or gameplay interest.

I find I never use these kind of things that are 'one time use' because 'I will always need them later'

Well, nothing prevents crafting a lot of them except for time.

And when consumables hit the 100 mark, it's pretty easy to get into spending (at least for me).

Not to be nit-picking your post, but I would prefer if these "scrolls" are called "one-use modules". Makes more sense in the Warframe universe. 

Interesting concept, although it may be a bit of a hassle trying to use them in the middle of a firefight (whoops! Pressed 5 for "Accelerant module" by accident instead of 6 for "Slash Dash"!). 

Then again, I think that Warframe powers should be stuck onto the relevant Warframe, and make enemies not drop any Warframe Ability Mods. 

Bad idea.  Frame's identities are largely decided by their power set.  For example, Cold powers aren't merely Frost's skill set - they're what makes him Frost.

The OP is a creative idea, but in a game where our frames have no real passive abilities, I tend to agree with Phatose. Powers ARE what define frames.

Other Issues:

Cost balance - Either these 'consumables' are so expensive that we'd nearly never use them, or if they are cheap enough to 'stack 100' as you said, we'd have a limitless set of ult spam that also happens to negate the uniqueness of other frames.

Power balance - Most frames already have a 'kill or paralyze everything around me' ability. What's the point of World on Fire, when you already have Miasma? None. So only the unique powers are attractive or worth using.

So this essentially leaves Iron Skin, Blessing and Invisibility as the 3 unique abilities that most other frames lack.

While Blessing and Invisibility are situational.....Ironskin in particular has no duration and is always useful. That makes it a no brainer. So, now we're looking at every frame in a def/survival popping ironskin every few mins..

/nothanks

Sorry OP. very clever repurposing of ability mods. cool concept but wouldn't end well.